Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2017 1:51:35 PM EDT
I am a G fan all the way and own a lot of  their stuff.  A bud has several SLR's, and they are nice.   I'm building a gun right now and thinking of trying one out.  

I really don't know anything about the company or much else.  Are they as strong as a G??  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The truth is that there are arguably zero competitors to the Geissele mk4/mk8 rails when ranking durability and quality of construction.

That being said, the SLR rails will hold up to 99% of what the geissele rails can endure.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Geissele is in a class of its own, if you want something lighter, get the mk13/14.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to clarify I have G rails, and think they rock.  I wouldn't lightly stray, just like the SLR's, and they use a similar barrel nut/mounting system.
So I figured a try might not be horrible.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both and I'd only buy the SLR rail again if I was doing another lightweight build. SLRs machining is just as good as Geissele if not better. SLR is just not as forgiving of a design imo. I have the solo ultralight on a 10.5 pistol.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 3 SLR rails and have never had any issues.  I like the Solo series best it's similar to the SMR G rail but quite a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
No complaints with the SLR Helix 15" I put on a rifle.  I thought it was gonna be a bit flimsy but it wasnt at all.  Cake to install!  I almost got a Geissele but ended up finding a better deal on the SLR.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my SLR Solo Lite.

I was in the same boat deciding between an MK8 and my current SLR hand guard and I went SLR because 13.7" with a 14.5" barrel fits just perfectly and I love the way it looks. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I have a thread open right now about my G trigger rusting and they replaced it because they have awesome CS, but SLR's CS is amazing as well.

Back around October when I was building my rifle and everyone was panic buying it was damn near impossible to find a stripped upper anywhere. I was on every mailing list and I couldn't find one. I contacted SLR and asked if I could send them all my parts and have them build me an upper with one of their hand guards and one of their uppers, and they said absolutely. Not only that, but the price they quoted me at was so unbelievable. Basically they were charging me for the upper ($115), the handguard, and building it for nothing. I get that there isn't much to assembling an upper, but the fact that they were willing to go through all that trouble to help me out really said a lot about their business.

I ended up getting a BCM upper assembly from a small shop in Minnesota that got like 5 of them and put an ad on Armslist, so I didn't have SLR build my upper, but it's the thought that counts. They're great to work with and they make extremely high quality products.

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#8]
My four SLR rails have been rock solid
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I currently have both. They're both fine, but if I had to pick one for a SHTF rifle I'd go with Geissele.  It feels a bit more solid to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my SLR Solo Lite.

I was in the same boat deciding between an MK8 and my current SLR hand guard and I went SLR because 13.7" with a 14.5" barrel fits just perfectly and I love the way it looks. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I have a thread open right now about my G trigger rusting and they replaced it because they have awesome CS, but SLR's CS is amazing as well.

Back around October when I was building my rifle and everyone was panic buying it was damn near impossible to find a stripped upper anywhere. I was on every mailing list and I couldn't find one. I contacted SLR and asked if I could send them all my parts and have them build me an upper with one of their hand guards and one of their uppers, and they said absolutely. Not only that, but the price they quoted me at was so unbelievable. Basically they were charging me for the upper ($115), the handguard, and building it for nothing. I get that there isn't much to assembling an upper, but the fact that they were willing to go through all that trouble to help me out really said a lot about their business.

I ended up getting a BCM upper assembly from a small shop in Minnesota that got like 5 of them and put an ad on Armslist, so I didn't have SLR build my upper, but it's the thought that counts. They're great to work with and they make extremely high quality products.

https://i.imgur.com/fCNdcst.jpg
View Quote
What color is that rail?  Or is it the lighting?  Looks like a DD FDE finish
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my SLR Solo Lite.

https://i.imgur.com/fCNdcst.jpg
You've pretty much got it nailed. It's a custom cerakote color designed to mimic the Daniel Defense RIS II FDE color. It was done for me by a user on here called Ankratz. He did a fantastic job, it was affordable, and his turnaround time was less than 2 days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:26:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't trust anything from SLR. They delete negative comments in their forum. How can you trust a place that does that?  there is more but it's hearsay I can't substantiate so I won't say it.

Reminds me of the saying you show your character when you do something good when no one is looking vs only doing it when eyes are on you.

Sure people will say SLR has been good to them but like the saying I just paraphrased goes........
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wouldn't trust anything from SLR. They delete negative comments in their forum. How can you trust a place that does that?  there is more but it's hearsay I can't substantiate so I won't say it.

Reminds me of the saying you show your character when you do something good when no one is looking vs only doing it when eyes are on you.

Sure people will say SLR has been good to them but like the saying I just paraphrased goes........
View Quote
Says the member who has picked up an EE negative in his first month here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#15]
IASM

Link?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Get some more reps in dealing before throwing stones.  You don't own the product but are bashing them.

SLR and G are both top tier
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Gert some more reps in dealing before throwing stones.  You don't own the product but are bashing them.

SLR and G are both top tier
View Quote
Agreed on all counts. Would give edge to the Big G.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't own a G rail, never have. But damn I love my SLR Ion Lite rail. Very nice and I would absolutely do one for my next build.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol. Just like woman on Facebook, you throw life lesson quotes you don't/can't live by. You're a flake and my comment IS substantiated.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Geissele is in a class of its own, if you want something lighter, get the mk13/14.
View Quote
The SLR is gonna be more solid than the mk13/14 series at this point. If you want an mk13/14 wait a couple more months for the redesign to come out.

The mk8 set screw style anti-rotation is about as bomb proof as it gets, though I don't find them anywhere close to as ergonomic as the mk14 or any of the SLR offerings.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I liked the G rail I had, but it was heavy. Sold the upper it was on and replaced it with a bcm

My latest build I used an slr ion ultra lite and I'm very happy with it
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#22]
SLR are great and all I use anymore
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I know you only mentioned SLR or Geissele, but have you considered anything else? There are a lot of choices out there with better prices, like Midwest for example.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The SLR is gonna be more solid than the mk13/14 series at this point. If you want an mk13/14 wait a couple more months for the redesign to come out.

The mk8 set screw style anti-rotation is about as bomb proof as it gets, though I don't find them anywhere close to as ergonomic as the mk14 or any of the SLR offerings.
View Quote
@-Time-:

Did you send your mk13/14 back to Geissele or did they have a solution for the rotation problems those rails are having?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]
i have a 15" ion lite mlok

i dont like how squared the edges are on the G's

i love my SLR and i would buy one again without hesitation and i plan on it for my next build
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I own a SLR Helix, which I bought because it was ridiculously light weight.  I thought the SLR was great but the finish wasn't super resilient, little chips everywhere from mounting and just using but this could be normal for all rails.  I'm going to swap it out for a Geissele MK8 though for their DDC color and becuae how tough they are.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I looked hard at both for my recent RECCE build. Ended up with the Geissele MK8. It's absolutely perfect. Rock solid but not overweight.

Expect to see G rails on the next SOCOM carbine upper.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@-Time-:

Did you send your mk13/14 back to Geissele or did they have a solution for the rotation problems those rails are having?
View Quote
@SOVIETsilence
I held on to my mk14, since I still have the mk8 it replaced, with the agreement that geissele would swap it out when they came out with the redesigned mk14s in 12-16 weeks (this was in the beginning of July). They also offered a full refund (if bought from geissele) or an exchange for another rail.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I like both, have owned both.

SLR for lightweight builds. G rails for everything else.

To me, the G mk8 provides a stiffer lock-up and a stronger rail for not much more in weight compared to a similar length Solo Lite.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like both, have owned both.

SLR for lightweight builds. G rails for everything else.

To me, the G mk8 provides a stiffer lock-up and a stronger rail for not much more in weight compared to a similar length Solo Lite.
View Quote
Try the mk13 or mk14 next, you might ditch SLR completely.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I have been running a SLR rail on my 300 blkout SBR since I built it and absolutely love it.

I went with it because they offered it in a 9.7" that puts the rail 1/8" from my suppressor when installed.

I couldn't be happier with the rail. I also have their adjustable gas block that I love.

My next build is a Aero AR10 6.5 Creedmoor and I will definitely be putting a 16" SLR Solo Ultra Light on it. Now I just have to come up with the $290 :/ Heck, I can almost buy an entire AR15 for the price of a handguard...

Doesn't someone from SLR want to shoot me a promo code?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't have any experience with SLR. I have a Geissele MK8 15', the thing is solid. Great quality and its built like a tank. It is a bit on the heavier side though but it really is a nice piece.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I own a SLR Helix, which I bought because it was ridiculously light weight.  I thought the SLR was great but the finish wasn't super resilient, little chips everywhere from mounting and just using but this could be normal for all rails.  I'm going to swap it out for a Geissele MK8 though for their DDC color and becuae how tough they are.
View Quote
This is far from my experience. I accidentally dropped one of mine (installed on the rifle) on to concrete, the rail hit first and you can't really tell where it was. Shoot an email to Todd and I'm see he'll get you taken care of.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is far from my experience. I accidentally dropped one of mine (installed on the rifle) on to concrete, the rail hit first and you can't really tell where it was. Shoot an email to Todd and I'm see he'll get you taken care of.
View Quote
I honestly don't even know what causes half the blemishes on my SLR rail. The nut got scratched up when installing, too.  Guess there was a burr on the inside of the rail.
The Geissele feels 2x more solid than the SLR.
The SLR feels 2x better in the hand.
I'll wait for the MK13/14/16 redesign for my next build.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:13:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I have both, like both. Granted, I operate at Tier 87.

I think the biggest advantage to the SLR is the different lengths, especially when trying to get a suppressor as close to the end of the handguard as possible. eg I have a 10.7" handguard for my 11" barrel.

Easy to install, solid lockup.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was happy overall with the helix but ended up selling it and getting the mk8.  We'll see how they compare.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a few SLR and G products. Both are top notch, CS I've only had to deal with SLR, but they have been AWESOME. Quick to answer emails (on a Sunday)
Helpful with a return (my fuckup I can't ruler very well)
Get both?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#39]
I have 4 SLR handguards in various lengths and styles.  
They've been great.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have been dealing with SLR for over almost 3 years now and they have been a really amazing company to work with. To the guy above stating that they delete negative comments and aren't trustworthy, you have no idea what you are talking about (and your negative feedback doesn't help your opinion much either)

SLR has hit a niche in the market for those looking for more modularity, and adaptability from their hand guard. They are a company that caters to the guys having a more "custom" mindset and not necessarily the "mil-spec" mindset if that makes sense, without sacrificing the quality,  and durability the "mil spec" minded customer is seeking.

The weight reduction comes from more machine time, and an aluminum barrel nut. If a heavier hand guard feels more reliable and rugged to you, then I guess that is just something the end user can choose for their own piece of mind. In real world application however, it does not effect function whatsoever. We have their hand guard installed on multiple machine guns and they take a serious ass whoopin with zero issues. We host HUGE machine gun shoots in south Florida with over 125 paid shooters and our SLR equipped rifles are put right up on the line and ran for 5 hours straight. This includes their Adjustable gas block, hand guards and muzzle devices.

If you guys over at SLR read this just know I wouldn't hesitate taking any one of your offerings overseas with me on a defense weapon!

Appreciate you guys  

J
View Quote
Another thing I really like about SLR is they will go above and beyond for customers.

I was wanting a particular handguard in a length they did not offer. 1 email and they said they'd punch a few out and I could pick which one I liked.

A few weeks later after maching and finishing they sent my "custom" length rail which is now available on the site.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Another thing I really like about SLR is they will go above and beyond for customers.

I was wanting a particular handguard in a length they did not offer. 1 email and they said they'd punch a few out and I could pick which one I liked.

A few weeks later after maching and finishing they sent my "custom" length rail which is now available on the site.
View Quote
I had a really positive experience with their cs as well.  Changing to Giessele to try something new but really wouldn't hesitate to buy from SLR again.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I keep seeing how tough geissele rails are but when have they been tested? Are they tougher then anything else in the market in the same thickness metal? Not knocking them, I'm a fan but I keep reading how tough they are and I haven't seen any torture tests or anything.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I keep seeing how tough geissele rails are but when have they been tested? Are they tougher then anything else in the market in the same thickness metal? Not knocking them, I'm a fan but I keep reading how tough they are and I haven't seen any torture tests or anything.
View Quote
Mr G recently beat the crap out of one after a customer posted on here about his not staying secure. There's s YouTube vid

It held up fine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mr G recently beat the crap out of one after a customer posted on here about his not staying secure. There's s YouTube vid

It held up fine.
View Quote
Post up the video.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#45]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVow6hbvKjo

Geissele Super Modular Rail - DROP TEST
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, that was quite impressive.

Geissele Super Modular Rail - DROP TEST
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Dang he went in on that rail lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm pretty sure US SOF uses Geissele rails & optic mounts now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:41:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
 some fucking people amirite?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#50]
I'll attest to the CS at SLR as well. Helped take care of an upper I sent them a few years ago during a hurricane- made sure they received it during the storm on a Sunday.

Last few years I have really been only dealing with companies that exhibit great CS- leupold, vortex, Geissele, SLR, Primary Arms, Surefire, etc, etc.

We really are blessed to have so many great companies competing in this industry.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top