User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude, idea. Wrap the pipe in cut open inner tube. it would also protect your knuckles against the back of the trigger guard. Finish the bottom off with a pipe cap. 

That or rough it up a bit (just a few passes with a file) then paracord wrap it. 
View Quote
I'll have to see if I have any tubes laying around. Paracord was my first instinct, and I will cap it, I just didn't have a cap laying around.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
After the thread job, between ARFcom beers!

Sublimeshooter's flatspot apocalyptic build ARFcom
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Please share secret for tapping buffer threads both in line with receiver and not tipped up or down.
View Quote
It was a bit of a hillbilly setup in the lathe but it worked rather well.  Sublimeshooter has a pic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please share secret for tapping buffer threads both in line with receiver and not tipped up or down.
View Quote
I eyeballed mounting them with the upper on the receiver. This was not best way. I should've had a upper on the lower and ran a 1" pipe through the whole thing to have them in the proper place.

For threading them, ARCarbon15 had a lathe and the tap he was kind enough to allow me over for tapping it.

A 1" rod in the front of the upper and the tap behind it on the lathe and it's all straight.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It was a bit of a hillbilly setup in the lathe but it worked rather well.  Sublimeshooter has a pic.
View Quote
Hey, it worked great!  Thanks again for the help and parts. It was nice meeting you, maybe I'll see you at that hometown shoot we were chatting about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
My guess is tack welding a trued up section of pipe roughly the same ID as the taps OD to the back of the receiver so it is level.  Then just break the welds and grind smooth after.  But I'm not a machinist by any standard. 

Edit: too late 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hey, it worked great!  Thanks again for the help and parts. It was nice meeting you, maybe I'll see you at that hometown shoot we were chatting about.
View Quote
Always cool to meet local ARFcomers.  Happy to help too.  You won't be disappointed if you hit up the local GnG next month.  Lots more good people from these parts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Always cool to meet local ARFcomers.  Happy to help too.  You won't be disappointed if you hit up the local GnG next month.  Lots more good people from these parts.
View Quote
Thanks for helping out.  sublimeshooter, do you have any .308" uppers?  

ETA:  How did you get the safety detent to work?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for helping out.  sublimeshooter, do you have any .308" uppers?  

ETA:  How did you get the safety detent to work?
View Quote
I do not have anything .308. my 30 cal is 300rum. on a 700 platform.

Initially I didn't have it working at all, just in place and spot welded in the fire position for looks. I've sinced changed that by drilling from the proper side and then having a realization the spring is far to long since its meant to be into the grip. So.. I drilled through the top of the mount as well and inserted the bolt stop spring and the safety detent then made a weld on the bottom side after installing the safety.

That worked great until I welded on the handgrip. I assume the spring got hot and did something knarly because the safety is very difficult to move now. At this point, I'm probably just going to ignore it. I'm a lefty so an ambi safety will be what I replace it with and I'll just deal with it when the time comes.  Should be easy though, because worse case I can just drill through the safety itself to remove the existing detent from my existing drill hole above it.

Edit; End of world builds come with a few sacrifices. The safety detent being the biggest hurdle and the bolt stop being the second if you don't have an extra long drill bit. I chose to weld my bolt stop in place as I have rarely had the need to lock my bolt open. I wouldn't change what I've done, but if you as a builder were concerned about being able to replace the safety/detent/spring you'll need to make your grip removable and have the proper depth drilled into it. That wouldn't be hard to do, but requires some forethought vs my afterthought.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Made a big leap today with the help of @AFCarbon 15. I met with him to thread lower for the buffer assembly. He's a pretty cool guy and I had a great time over a few beers getting it threaded. After it was threaded he had some parts laying around to test the lower out. Through some brainstorming we came up with a handle idea, which you can see in the picture.

Great news, it fires!

Before we parted ways I bought a few parts off him I needed for it, so now all that's left needed for parts is a barrel and sights.
View Quote
I'm digging that grip.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a barrel coming from a member here, gotta love the EE, but frankly he's sending me a pretty nice Larue barrel so I took a lesser barrel off another AR and will replace it with the Larue. Which meant I had a barrel to continue the project. YAY.

So, today I built an adjustable stock and a front grip. I'll post pictures in a bit... I'm currently testing out the patina thing that was mentioned earlier here.

I really, really wanted to use a mag light for my front grip, but it just wouldn't work out. I ended up settling on a beat up pipe which I welded to the barrel nut free floating the foregrip. Free floating is was mandatory because Accuracy is paramount since the world ended ya know...

My adjustable stock consists of a pipe. carriage bolt, and a couple bolts and washers. and wrapped in some rubber tape I had laying around. May change the rubber tape, it's kinda gody in my opinion. Give me your thoughts when I get a pic up.

Now I need to figure out sights... Send your ideas my way please!

And I'd like to get rid of the A2 flash hider and replace it with a thread saver. Anyone have a spare thread saver laying around?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I could hack together a flash hider.  Maybe some of that expanded metal we talked about.   Or just a 3/4" piece of threaded 1018 to which you could weld whatever you want.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I could hack together a flash hider.  Maybe some of that expanded metal we talked about.   Or just a 3/4" piece of threaded 1018 to which you could weld whatever you want.
View Quote
I like this, expanded metal would be a great addition to it. Maybe hack off the birdcage and replace that part with expanded metal? Threaded 1018 may be the better way and then weld to it.  

Maybe swap places and you can have a beer at mine this time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#14]
maglight that just wouldn't work.

Here she is, my patina method sucked....
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#15]
You did degrease it first, right?  Wonder what happened there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's hard to see in that pic, there is some etching/patina, but nothing like your knife. I'll try again another day.

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's hard to see in that pic, there is some etching/patina, but nothing like your knife. I'll try again another day.

http://i.imgur.com/ysLmFxy.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ysLmFxy.jpg
Huh, what mix of stuff did you use + time?  Figure the lower is carbon steel so it should have worked.  Only thing I can think of is if it is a higher grade of steel, it might need longer, but fuck if I know for sure.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Huh, what mix of stuff did you use + time?  Figure the lower is carbon steel so it should have worked.  Only thing I can think of is if it is a higher grade of steel, it might need longer, but fuck if I know for sure.
View Quote
Lime juice cause I had limes and not lemons and figured citric acid is citric acid. Black rifle CAF coffee grounds (fantastic coffee btw) and vinegar. Even is mix and brushed it on every 15 or so minutes instead of a soak for 1-2 hours.  Soaking it at this point will take a lot of liquid.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lime juice cause I had limes and not lemons and figured citric acid is citric acid. Black rifle CAF coffee grounds (fantastic coffee btw) and vinegar. Even is mix and brushed it on every 15 or so minutes instead of a soak for 1-2 hours.  Soaking it at this point will take a lot of liquid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could have been that I added a touch of salt as well.  I have heard the coffee is awesome, just haven't been able to try it yet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#20]
That is one fugly looking gun, but at least it shoots!

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Patina one side.  You only had time to do one side before the liberals came.

That looks awesome.  FW_wife was looking @ it, going,"Is that the pipe joiner that I bought?"  Yep, hon, yes it is.

Will the threads on the back of the grip bother your delicate hands?  I mean, you drink white wine and all.  

With that MagLite, I thought maybe you were going for an integrally suppressed bbl.

You gonna start welding magazines next?  A Vietnam contact mag from an AK?

ETA:  You could salvage that safety spring by cutting into the channel, replacing it, and putting in a door of sorts so you can get to the channel, sorta like what Hera Arms did on their bullpup stocks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#22]
So did you just attack the upper with a Dremel? Awesome work man!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Patina one side.  You only had time to do one side before the liberals came.

That looks awesome.  FW_wife was looking @ it, going,"Is that the pipe joiner that I bought?"  Yep, hon, yes it is.

Will the threads on the back of the grip bother your delicate hands?  I mean, you drink white wine and all.  

With that MagLite, I thought maybe you were going for an integrally suppressed bbl.

You gonna start welding magazines next?  A Vietnam contact mag from an AK?

ETA:  You could salvage that safety spring by cutting into the channel, replacing it, and putting in a door of sorts so you can get to the channel, sorta like what Hera Arms did on their bullpup stocks.
View Quote
HAHA Yeah, I drink a chardonnay on occasion and tonight was one of those nights. Usually I'm a beer guy, but wine nights are more often Malbecs or Cabs. So my delicate hands will be ok. I did sand them a little smoother afterall.

LOL, I had never had any intention of building/welding a lower... So you never know.

As cheap as safety's are, I think I'm ok with just drilling through it if there's a problem. But I do intend to fix mine and make it proper again. I kinda like the idea of a safety.

Give me some sight/optic ideas!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is one fugly looking gun, but at least it shoots!

View Quote
Yes, Yes it is! But that was the point. LOL
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So did you just attack the upper with a Dremel? Awesome work man!!
View Quote
Basically.  Between a cut off wheel and a flapper disk.  Had to make it look distressed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  HAHA Yeah, I drink a chardonnay on occasion and tonight was one of those nights. Usually I'm a beer guy, but wine nights are more often Malbecs or Cabs. So my delicate hands will be ok. I did sand them a little smoother afterall.

LOL, I had never had any intention of building/welding a lower... So you never know.

As cheap as safety's are, I think I'm ok with just drilling through it if there's a problem. But I do intend to fix mine and make it proper again. I kinda like the idea of a safety.

Give me some sight/optic ideas!
View Quote
Fixed front sight just behind the muzzle, pinned.  Bayonet lug @ mid-length, pinned.

Screw on carry handle 600m sight, chopped.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fixed front sight just behind the muzzle, pinned.  Bayonet lug @ mid-length, pinned.

Screw on carry handle 600m sight, chopped.
View Quote
So an A2 Gas block pinned behind the threads?

I was considering a carry handle and just make it look beat up.

I've played fallout though, maybe a distressed red dot could be ok as well?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#28]
What ever you want to throw up there.  It's magnificent.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What ever you want to throw up there.  It's magnificent.
View Quote
Being that this was your giveaway, your ideas have a bit of sway. However, anything I do optic wise, is probably out of pocket. I kinda don't want to buy a red dot and then beat it up for the look, but I also think it may be the best option for letting others play with my monstrosity, and still fit the Part. Though Raider just came at me with an option.

I just hope I've been meeting your expectations thus far.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Dude, you are a year ahead of schedule.  We ain't even married yet.  She could still change her mind.  

Given that it looks like it was dropped 87 times already, anyone you hand it to to shoot it is gonna drop it.  I'd put the cheapest of cheap red dots on it - but maybe a steel or aluminum enclosure around it?  Some guy trying to make the last Chinese air soft red dot in antebellum America last?

I have a knockoff of a Sightmark that works just fine, & has 4 different reticles.

The best part?  Nobody will give you shit about your cheap red dot b/c a) they can't figger out exactly what it is, and b) it's got an awesome protective box around it.

Mount it far enough forward on the rail and you'll have room for a fixed A2 sight or flip ups and/or a decent magnifier.

ETA:  Forgot to ask - what's the weight?  Somehow I don't think you're making it into the under 6 lbs thread...  
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dude, you are a year ahead of schedule.  We ain't even married yet.  She could still change her mind.  

Given that it looks like it was dropped 87 times already, anyone you hand it to to shoot it is gonna drop it.  I'd put the cheapest of cheap red dots on it - but maybe a steel or aluminum enclosure around it?  Some guy trying to make the last Chinese air soft red dot in antebellum America last?

I have a knockoff of a Sightmark that works just fine, & has 4 different reticles.

The best part?  Nobody will give you shit about your cheap red dot b/c a) they can't figger out exactly what it is, and b) it's got an awesome protective box around it.

Mount it far enough forward on the rail and you'll have room for a fixed A2 sight or flip ups and/or a decent magnifier.

ETA:  Forgot to ask - what's the weight?  Somehow I don't think you're making it into the under 6 lbs thread...  
View Quote
Not as heavy as I thought. I just threw it on the scale since you asked. and it's at 8.6 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe I'll throw on an Eotech since ARfcom hates em these days.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Maybe you could wrap the stock with some kind of leather cord? Seems apocalyptic enough to me; make use of everything you can. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Maybe I'll throw on an Eotech since ARfcom hates em these days.
View Quote
I still wanna see someone do the Pipe Rifle sight. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
This intrigues me. I may give it a shot. However getting the nails correct seems next to impossible for my equipment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This intrigues me. I may give it a shot. However getting the nails correct seems next to impossible for my equipment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Clamp a section of smoothwall tubing in your drill press and punch through both sides in one pass.  Then just clamp the pipe between 2 sections of wood after aligning.  That way you get the holes lined up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#37]
How does that idea let me adjust my sites to zero? Serious question.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Set screw in the front and rear or elevation, make the posts threaded for windage.  

We can do this in addition to the FH, no sweat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Set screw in the front and rear or elevation, make the posts threaded for windage.  

We can do this in addition to the FH, no sweat.
View Quote
Pretty much what I was thinking too.  Just screw them in/out for left right.  Wonder if there is a way to make it click adjust easily.  All my ideas basically involve making a bearing of sorts with dimpled washers as the clicky bits.  So the ball bearings spring load into the holes.  Probably too big and complex though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Raider is sending me his Russian sight. That's going to be the go to, but the piped and nail sight will get attempted! If it works, I'll make a couple of em. One for Raider, one for myself, and maybe another or others for someone else.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#41]
You'll end up w/ the astigmatism following.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, but if they get popular, AFCarbon and I will get rich! Probably/maybe, after we pay our royalties off to a video game...

Either way, tomorrow I'll shoot my 'gun' in all it's glory without sights to verify function in it's entirety. May not get a vid though, My dad and his friend are coming over to shoot and they/he are old school in that thought.

Also, @ Stumbles. I got that barrel today. Thanks again! He enabled my rifle get where it is, otherwise I'd have just got a barrel to play with to make handguards. He just happened to sell me a fancier barrel than I had on another AR so I stole it's barrel.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah, but if they get popular, AFCarbon and I will get rich! Probably/maybe, after we pay our royalties off to a video game...

Either way, tomorrow I'll shoot my 'gun' in all it's glory without sights to verify function in it's entirety. May not get a vid though, My dad and his friend are coming over to shoot and they/he are old school in that thought.

Also, @ Stumbles. I got that barrel today. Thanks again! He enabled my rifle get where it is, otherwise I'd have just got a barrel to play with to make handguards. He just happened to sell me a fancier barrel than I had on another AR so I stole it's barrel.
View Quote
That's gonna be so awesome. 
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Raider is sending me his Russian sight. That's going to be the go to, but the piped and nail sight will get attempted! If it works, I'll make a couple of em. One for Raider, one for myself, and maybe another or others for someone else.
View Quote
Dawwwwwwwwww thanks pal
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Not much to report today, But I did get rid of that rubber wrap and went to paracord. I think it looks better.

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks better, but tape was more halal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Needs more barbed wire!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Ha!  I've spent the last two days tearing down chainlink with a barbed wire top. I'd just as soon never see that shit again, unless I build a Lucile of course.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
Sight pins from any archery store. Threaded, use wing nuts. Luminous paint or tritium tipped??

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#50]
For a sight like that to be functional, doesn't there need to be two planes, like front and rear sights?  In my mind, without a front and rear sight (so to speak) any consistency would be based on a consistent cheek weld, like a shotgun with only a bead sight.

I'm wanting to build a sight like this for a fallout inspired 45acp bolt action rifle I'm working on, so I'm glad there are people having a discussion about this.  Right now I'm thinking that building a crappy looking metal tube around a cheap red/green dot/holographic sight I have laying around will be the best functioning thing I could come up with.

ETA: I was talking about the fallout pipe rifle sights

ETA 2: I also think the paracord looks too nice.  Maybe some beat up leather or something.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top