User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mags are disposable. Buy them cheap and stack them deep.
View Quote
Yep.

While I'm all for quality equipment, I think people often put too much thought and effort into things like magazines.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yep.

While I'm all for quality equipment, I think people often put too much thought and effort into things like magazines.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

This, I see no reason to pay for the newest super duper mag that costs $15 each when PMAGs or USGI are sub $10.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Well so far man, I'm THOROUGHLY impressed with ETS --- durable, no cracks after 6 drops each from 6 feet onto baseplate and feedlips.  And your 20 ft drop test was pretty impressive too.   I ran over the ETS about 6 more times on my rough, graveled asphalt paved street at 15 MPG too, no issues.  
Are you still offering the discount for AR15 members?  If so can you post -- or if in violation of TOS -- can you IM me?

They hold up great compared to PMags too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfO5SN_VUl4  
I have nothing against Magpul, but I get a little sick of them acting like their mags are the most badass thing ever to hit market, when in fact, they are fairly fragile, unless you buy an extra $5 ranger plate for them.  

A little competition is a great thing IMO.  
Also, what happened with their October 14 lawsuit against you guys?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I respectfully disagree. That's like saying your rifle is too high of quality, there is no such thing. Without a good, reliable magazine your gun is worthless. Makes sense to me to buy the best mag money can buy so you don't have to worry about your mag letting your rifle down. A gun is only as good as it's weakest link....

I always find it funny when guys will spend $2000 on a top of the line optic, then cheap out on something as important as a magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

I respectfully disagree. That's like saying your rifle is too high of quality, there is no such thing. Without a good, reliable magazine your gun is worthless. Makes sense to me to buy the best mag money can buy so you don't have to worry about your mag letting your rifle down. A gun is only as good as it's weakest link....

I always find it funny when guys will spend $2000 on a top of the line optic, then cheap out on something as important as a magazine.

I see your point.

The fact is, the magazines on the market today work fine. I've got magazines with thousands of rounds through them from various vendors.

Simply put, under normal use, a magazine will last for a long time. A $2 spring and it'll go longer.

Failures like these drop tests are kind of like mental masturbation to me. If I drop a full magazine on the deck, I'm going to check it for function and replace it with another $10 mag if it fails. If I'm in a gunfight, I'm going for another mag.

I like what your company is doing. I think improving a product in a free market only benefits the customer. I also think you're attacking a problem that doesn't functionally exist.

If I were having magazine failures with any regularity, I'd be jumping on your bandwagon like pigs in shit. I'm not having magazine failures. I don't suspect others are either, and I use my shit HARD.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have pretty good luck not dropping loaded mags feed lip first onto concrete.

Apparently in other locales it's an epidemic.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

With our mag you will never have to worry about something like dropping it on the deck, affecting it's function. We made these mags go so far above what it needs to endure so that should you ever find yourself in an actual gun fight you won't have to worry about your mag working, or being damaged. If you drop our mag you can pick it up with 100% certainty that it wasn't damaged and it will work. So while our mags may cost a few bucks more than a GI mag, that peace of mind and know you won't need to ever replace it, is worth the extra cost.
View Quote

Do your springs ever wear out?

Honestly I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for your mags. I just don't have a need at this point.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also, what happened with their October 14 lawsuit against you guys?
View Quote

+1  I thought I read somewhere you had to change something on the follower or something like that.....Inquiring minds what to know.......
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

I agree but disagree (like John Kerry).  Once a magazine gets so good there is less and less room for improvement.  People should worry more about marksmanship and hitting their target.  The weakest link of a firearm is far and away the shooter.  Nothing else comes close.  Super duper magazines don't win wars or keep people alive, as much emphasis as people here put on magazines in the big picture they simply aren't that important.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:45:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
did a drop test today:

3 x 30 round Brownells Usgi mags with magpul followers, fully loaded.  Three 30 round gen m3 pmags, fully loaded.  

Dropped each mag from a feed lips down position to impact on the feed lips, from 5 feet onto concrete, three times each.

The Brownells had their feed lips bent terribly.  One of the three,
I could only unload 9 rounds by hand, the feed lips were so deformed the rounds couldn't be pushed out. The second of the three, I was totally unable to push any rounds out at all. The third mag let me push all thirty rounds out but it was very difficult.  None of them
Could be reloaded by hand or by stripper clips.  

All three of the magpuls I tested developed serious cracks after the drops, the shortest being 1.5 cm long, and the longe being 5cm.
By the third drop,  they were spitting out 6-8 rounds each.  After testing, I was able
To easily unload and reload each of the PMAGS.  So while damaged, it's likely they would still function at least long enough until the patrol or your shift would be over.

Bottom line:  dropping mags onto very surfaces will fuck up your mag, whether USGI or PMAG.
View Quote

Your test results do not mimic mine at all.  I have tested Brownell's USGI, Magpuls, and others.  I have dropped them onto concrete, and worse, from 5 ft.  Brownell's feedlips do not deform hardly at all, definitely no where close to as you describe.  Gen 3 pmags aren't phased either.  Gen 2s can develop a small crack after a couple drops that will enlarge with subsequent drops.  

Granted the Brownell's mags I tested were the legit tan follower USGI ones, but the commercial produced ones shouldn't be that much off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Yours were loaded right?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Early on in Afghanistan there were two specific battles, Wanat and Kamdesh, that starkly illustrated the differences between weapon reliability of USGIs vs PMags in a combat environment of similar size and format.
View Quote

Can you elaborate?  Would love to hear more details on that!  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread interests me. I have a desire go go home and **attempt** to destroy a few mags.

FOR SCIENCE!!!

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yours were loaded right?
View Quote

Fully.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, me too. Over the course of nearly 20 years and many thousands of rounds in hunting and 3 gun competition, this has never been an issue with any of my AR mags. The fact that some people seem to fret over such things, especially when mags are basically disposable, is almost amusing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree with the above.  Mags are disposable.  My issue with PMAGs is that they have a relatively short life, not that they break from dropping.  Given how long they last in my experience and from what I've seen with my own eyes I don't think they are the best value out there and they certainly wouldn't be my first choice to expect a lifetime of use from if for some reason magazines become hard or impossible to aquire in the future.  I have had and seen with my own eyes broken feed lips, cracked spines, wallowed out mag catch pockets, and insides deformed from rounds moving under recoil to the point that the follower hangs up.  I have never seen a problem with their followers though and highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep, me too. Over the course of nearly 20 years and many thousands of rounds in hunting and 3 gun competition, this has never been an issue with any of my AR mags. The fact that some people seem to fret over such things, especially when mags are basically disposable, is almost amusing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have on a couple occasions unintentionally dropped loaded GI mags bottom first on concrete/rocks and had them puke their guts out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Gen 3 Pmags are pretty fragile when cold. I dropped one twice as described in magpul video and on drop #2 it cracked down the back and lay spasming (literally) as round after round shot out of it. The Lancer l5awm did better but the lips bent a hair. The HK polymer mag took over half a dozen drops and asked for more. Nothing at all wrong with it except some abrasion on the external of the feed lips from the concrete.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gen 3 Pmags are pretty fragile when cold. I dropped one twice as described in magpul video and on drop #2 it cracked down the back and lay spasming (literally) as round after round shot out of it. The Lancer l5awm did better but the lips bent a hair. The HK polymer mag took over half a dozen drops and asked for more. Nothing at all wrong with it except some abrasion on the external of the feed lips from the concrete.
View Quote

Just how cold are we talking here?  How long were they sitting out in the cold for?  Have a link to the HK mag, I am not familiar with it?  Did you get a chance to try the Brownell's tan follower USGI mags?  How did the G2 Pmags compare to the G3?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah.  I don't believe Magpuls bullshit, I hate their propaganda spin team and they try to bully the new guys.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah.  I don't believe Magpuls bullshit, I hate their propaganda spin team and they try to bully the new guys.
View Quote

lol

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#28]
My PMAGS have always served me well. As have my Lancers and most of my usgi mags.

I think some of you go a bit overboard with looking for reasons to bash Magpul. If you don't like em, don't buy em. Until they start failing me, I'll continue to purchase them when I find a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
15 years totin a gun here.

Been using magpuls since they came out. Never had an issue.

Then again I use lots of different mags. Not really a brand-loyal kinda guy.

Magpuls are legit good mags though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

They (magpul) make a good magazine at a good price.
The only BS is someone who says otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#31]
So the bottom line question here (before this thread gets locked as I predict it soon will):is a rugged and reliable magazine enough, or does a magazine have to be unbreakable??

BTW, since military use has been discussed, from my viewpoint 98-99% M4's I see daily have USGI mags in the well...............
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just how cold are we talking here?  How long were they sitting out in the cold for?  Have a link to the HK mag, I am not familiar with it?  Did you get a chance to try the Brownell's tan follower USGI mags?  How did the G2 Pmags compare to the G3?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall testing the g2. My freezer at around 12 to 16 degrees for an hour or so. It was hot in there and I later turned it to 2 to 8.
I did not test any aluminum mags.
https://us.hkwebshop.com/HKWebShop/show/byItemID/10060//279
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't feel that way. Magpul worked hard and does have a great product. They are legitimately protecting their IP. My experience with their gen 3 mag was just one mag, but yes, I did learn that they aren't quite as tough as one might think until tested by ones self.  Moral ? Be your own expert. Do it yourself or take it with a bucket of salt.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's because it's what the military issues. Doesn't in any way mean it's the best magazine out there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the bottom line question here (before this thread gets locked as I predict it soon will):is a rugged and reliable magazine enough, or does a magazine have to be unbreakable??

BTW, since military use has been discussed, from my viewpoint 98-99% M4's I see daily have USGI mags in the well...............

That's because it's what the military issues. Doesn't in any way mean it's the best magazine out there.

I get it, I really do  Yes they are issued so that is what most people use.  There are those here that would like you to think that everyone in the military immediately throws out the USGI magazines and replaces them with aftermarket.  Anything other than USGI is a tiny percentage of what is in use.  Slings, holsters, and optics are probably the most popular aftermarket toys among combat units.  I totally agree with the statement that because something is used does not mean it is better.  I have seen TAPCO magazines used in Afghanistan.....
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have about 100 pmags, and only one, a foliage green one, is out of its package because it matches my AR and looks cool in pictures. I use USGI mags exclusively for all my shooting. I figure if I drop one and bend a feed lip, I might be able to use my multitool to make it serviceable again. Can't do that with a cracked plastic feed lip. Pmags for the neckbeard stash, USGI mags for actual use.
View Quote

Spot on, Just put on a carbine course, pmags were spitting 2-3 rounds everytime their guns cycled, swelled badly, issue mags were GTG. Sorry magpul but I think you will be getting those mags back.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because in the end, it will probably cost less than a USGI mag when you factor in the life span of the mag.
View Quote

Maybe, maybe not  We have heard this before  I suspect many more USGI magazines are "lost" than are destroyed or damaged.  My understanding is for the military to adopt something it not only has to be better, but it has to be substantially better.  Ever hear of the SPIW?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Magpul Pmags were never the magical mags.  Why?  They leave room for improvement.  How soon will the Gen 4 version of this mag will come out?  Its supposed to be better than the existing mags, so the mags they put out in the market is not their best mag yet, just sub par and good enough.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Magpul Pmags were never the magical mags.  Why?  They leave room for improvement.  How soon will the Gen 4 version of this mag will come out?  Its supposed to be better than the existing mags, so the mags they put out in the market is not their best mag yet, just sub par and good enough.
View Quote

Where do people come up with this crap?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a Magpul fanboi, but WTF?  Magpul put out a magazine originally that was the best they knew how to make at a specific price point.  Over time, they learn, adapt, test, adjust, and find a way to improve on what they originally did (hence, Gen2).  Once that mag was fielded, they again took feedback, researched, tested, and made more improvements (hence, Gen3).

What would you have them do?  The original Pmag was released in 2007.  8 years later they've made some improvements.  Would you have had them wait those 8 years not producing anything until they had the Gen3?

Dang.  As a manufacturing engineer, NOTHING is ever as good as it's going to get on the first try.  You therefore have two choices if you don't like change - live with the original, or accept 10 year development cycles for something as simple as a magazine.  And be prepared to pay a couple hundred dollars per mag to soak the R&D costs....

I've been using Pmags since their first release.  I've got a couple of early ones that have cracked in back below the cutout.  I could probably hit Magpul up for a replacement, but why?  Those mags saw a ton of use as I was just getting into AR's and were my 3-gun competition mags.  They're now in the range bag where a FTF won't hurt me, and will actually give me some practice clearing jams.  Haven't had it jam yet.  

Pmags aren't magic.  But IMHO they have some advantages over USGI, are readily available, come in a variety of configurations (LOVE the 40 rounders) and inexpensive enough to keep a significant number on hand.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#43]
The title of the OP suggest an unbiased intention IMO.

With as hard as I run my gear (never intentionally abusive) I have never had these failures, not once.
Yes, I have dropped loaded mags but I can't think of a reason to hold them at shoulder's height loaded and drop them straight down.
Since that has never happened to me how does that become the determining factor in dependability???

To say I don't baby my Pmags both G2 and G3 is an understatement and I have never once had a failure so excuse me me if an irrelevant test that has no comparability to real life does not become the determining factor in what mags I use.

We are fortunate to have some fine mags available and they are all very good to near perfect particularly Magpul and Lancer (IMO, others may like something else)
ETS seems to be the third near perfect one on this list (I have not tried them but all feedback suggest this)

Buy what you like. I doubt you will find much to complain about.
If you want to trash any of them, well, find a test that has no bearing on real use and slant it the way you want and post.
Just don't do that and expect much respect
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Next test : Are they microwave safe and which mag is a better potato peeler ???

(lol)
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Next test : Are they microwave safe and which mag is a better potato peeler ???

(lol)
View Quote

Maybe Will it Blend?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I participated in an AR class at Assymetric Solutions about a month ago and my friend that took the class with me had an FDE Magpul mag (gen2) follower get stuck multiple times before he trashed it (I had no issues with mine).  I had to remove the floor plate to get it unstuck.  The instructor gave his opinion on Pmags and it wasn't a glowing endorsement. I told him to send it to MAGPUL and they would replace it.  I use Magpul, Lancer, BCM, PSA, Brownell's, Tango Down and some d&H branded mags and no issues have been had with any of mine.

As a side, same buddy's new Daniel Defense had a double feed and failure to extract as well(maybe mag related?).

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Someone already said it, but mags are disposable and need to be thought of this way.

Where I come from, you drop a loaded mag like that, visible damage or not, it either gets chucked on cautious principle or it goes deep in gear as a "For emergency use only".

Totally untrustworthy regardless of type or maker...
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I am refreshed by the fact that not once in this thread anyone spoke of driving over the magazines with a big ol pickup truck!

Mags are a consumable... take care not to drop your shit... inspect each magazine and round loaded into the magazines... and ALWAYS have more than they tell you you need!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A company needs to protect their intellectual properties and patents

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A company needs to protect their intellectual properties and patents

I don't think his post is about patent lawsuits......
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#50]
My biggest gripe is that they are so addictive. Every time I see mags on sale, I have to buy some. It is like a "catcher in the rye" addiction/impulse.  I have many different mags and have used Magpul, Okay, Colt, etc. over the years and all  have served me well.  Right now they are so inexpensive, I don't see why we worry about this way we do. They are meant to be replaced. Just my 2 cents.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top