Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope to get mine all put together this next week and see what it's capable of.
View Quote

I'll take some tonight or tomorrow morning. It's at my door right now!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Come on,some one has to have shot these barrels by now... how do they shoot?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I received my barrel yesterday.  I wont have an idea as to its performance, since it is part of a work in progress.  But I really like the looks of this barrel.  Here are some photos, I'll let them speak for themselves:

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I know what a barrel looks like!!!!  Who has trigger time with one of these barrels??????????
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#5]
^^  I'd like to know as well

I wasn't brave enough to buy one so I bought an AAC for $129
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I should have mine up and running this weekend, just waiting on a gas block.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I ran 100 rounds without issue, mixed subs and supers. Subs with an Osprey 45.  Crowded range didn't lead to any accuracy testing. Off hand groups were fist sized at 25 yards and functioned with bullet weights from 110-220gr without issue.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone else get range time this weekend?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I FINALLY got my 8.5" to the range this weekend.

I was shooting the Fiocchi 147 supers through it, and these are known to usually not even clear a sheridan chamber gauge. But I had no issues with the chamber on this barrel. I don't have a can, but I do run the PWD CQB muzzle device which does increase the back pressure similar to a can. I had no issues with the gas system (running a pistol buffer tube and a carbine buffer, G3 pmags).

In 50 rounds I was getting good groups considering the ammo quality, and only 3 rounds popped a primer out. On one it lodged above the gas tube causing a hell of a jam :(. This wasn't the barrel's fault. After I get some more brass ready to go, I'll be able to load up some 208gr A-max subs, but don't hold your breath on that.

But as far as I can tell these PTAC 300BLK barrels are completely good to go.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't end up getting to shoot mine since my gas block didn't show up in time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#11]
As soon as my gas block arrives, ill be able to provide a range report. Barrel looks g2gas arrived.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone confirm the muzzle threads?  5/8-24?

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes Sir. 5/8x24.

I tried my 16" with pistol gas over the weekend and could not get it to cycle Fiocchi 150 gr FMJ supers. Would not pick up the next round or hold open on an empty mag. This is with a standard carbine buffer and spring. I'm thinking the gas port is too small, but haven't had a chance to measure yet. And I'm not even sure what size would be ideal anyway.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:00:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I'm still not sure of the original gas port size on the 16" I have, but it was smaller than 5/64" (0.078). I've now gone ahead and chased it with a 5/64 bit which removed a noticeable amount of material. Hopefully that will help the cycling issues I was having. If not, 3/32 is next!

Quoted:
Yes Sir. 5/8x24.

I tried my 16" with pistol gas over the weekend and could not get it to cycle Fiocchi 150 gr FMJ supers. Would not pick up the next round or hold open on an empty mag. This is with a standard carbine buffer and spring. I'm thinking the gas port is too small, but haven't had a chance to measure yet. And I'm not even sure what size would be ideal anyway.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes Sir. 5/8x24.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, I'm still not sure of the original gas port size on the 16" I have, but it was smaller than 5/64" (0.078). I've now gone ahead and chased it with a 5/64 bit which removed a noticeable amount of material. Hopefully that will help the cycling issues I was having. If not, 3/32 is next!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes Sir. 5/8x24.

Quoted:

Kinda small port if you ask me. I would start at .08", and go up to .110". It may be different with pistol port barrel tho. Mine are all around .110". Two pistol gassed guns, and one carbine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Canaris & others for the info on these barrels.

Anyone else get out to the range?  How did these barrels perform?  I realize accuracy out of any 8.5" will probably not be "stellar" - but how'd your barrel do?

Anyone try one of the S.S. ones?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I realize accuracy out of any 8.5" will probably not be "stellar" - but how'd your barrel do?
View Quote

Why would accuracy out of an 8.5" barrel not be good?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I realize accuracy out of any 8.5" will probably not be "stellar" - but how'd your barrel do?

Possibly because some people think "accuracy equals long barrel length."  On the contrary, it's often a matter of getting the MV you want that drives needing a longer barrel.  And of course since 300 Blackout is essentially a really hot pistol round, a pistol length barrel works fine.

Also, with a shorter barrel, you get a barrel that's stiffer than a longer barrel for a given profile.  So a short 300 barrel shouldn't have any accuracy issues, it just doesn't fit with old concepts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:31:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I get better accuracy out of a CMMG 8" pistol, than I do out of a CMMG 16" carbine many times shooting supersonic. That little pistol will print sub MOA from a bench at only a 300FPS loss of velocity over a 16". Compare that to 900 to 1000 FPS loss in a 5.56 between pistol, and carbine length guns.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top