BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
My latest batch of P-Mags seem to be head and sholders above most of the GI mags I have used.

I have seen a LOT of crappy USGI mags that were just worn out.  They were still in use and issued because most guys just don't shoot enough to diagnose mag problems.  

With the P-Mags, I forsee less issues with dents, followers hanging up, ect.  I think that they are just a better designed mag and should be more reliable.

I don't have enough rounds through my most recent P-Mags to give a difinitive yes/no but I have to say that they look very promising.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2007 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I just wish my PMags worked in my FS2000 or I would own about 20 more.  Other than that, I love them.  

Magpul, why didn't you make these to fit all STANAG weapons?
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]

We said the mission of the PMag was to act as a volume suppliment to the USGI mag. After it has been out for a year we will decide if we think the PMag as a suitable replacement for the USGI mag.

In short the Pmag does offer the following over the USGI.

-Stronger body.
-True anti tilt follower.
-Constent curve inside body (USGI is straight then curved)
-Stainless steel spring
-Easy to disassemble.
-Floorplate lock
-Easy to grab floorplate.
-Easier to handle during very hot and very cold temps
-Snap cover keeps dirt and dust out.
-Colored bodies (camo).
-Dual Mag level indicator option
-Bright Colored floorplates, followers and snap covers can be used to mark different types of ammunition.
-PMag passed 500 hour simulated salt spray test where both the USGI and HK failed to function afterwards.
-In Impact drop tests (Loaded and unloaded) the PMag outperforms USGI constantly.

We do not have a max round count yet on the PMag but it is in excess of 70,000 rounds.

We also had two different Army tests that showed the PMag functioned dramatically better in the M249 SAWs than stock USGI mags.

The final thing we are studying is the longterm strength of the feedlips. We were expecting some feedlip creep when loaded without the snap cover but testing over six months shows that this is not the case.

I hope this answers some questions here.

Too bad I'm stuck in NY and am not allowed to own these evil things, or I would comment...I would love to try them....I do have some American made Thermolds that function...
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 4 of the first production run P-mags. They have about 3K each through them and I have dropped them plenty of times with no cracking or malfunctions going through our department's AR courses.

They work. Nuff said for me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The USGI mags are good mags.  They function fine.

However, if you step on them or bang them up, they can deform enough to not function, or even not fit in the magwell.   This can happen just from a ruck or vest being thrown into or out of a vehicle, or a gunner stepping on someones gear inside a vehicle.

Just for solving that problem the PMAG is worth the money for professional users.

The PMAG is also pretty cool.  The FDE colored mag looks cool with your FDE furnitured hot rodded AR carbine.  For lots of users this will make  the PMAG worth the bucks.

Sometimes I fall in both groups.  I wouldn't replace my USGI mags with PMAGs but I would definitely buy PMAGs in preference to USGI mags in the future.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a few just to try them out, and ended up purchasing many more.  They lock into the magwell VERY tight, no "play" like with a USGI mag.  I've had occassional FTF when using USGI mags as a monopod, not so with PMAGs.  They also insert more smoothly, not nearly as much friction as with the aluminum mag.  I don't know if it is a result of the follower or the body, but they seem to load more smoothly as well.  When I have about 10 rounds loaded and push down on them the follower stays perfectly level and there is no binding.  I also like the positive "click" when inserting a full 30rd mag with the bolt forward.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm as skeptical as anyone, but if they're within a few bucks of a new mag, I'll buy at least four to try out.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm as skeptical as anyone, but if they're within a few bucks of a new mag, I'll buy at least four to try out.  

That's exactly how many I just ordered from Brownells along with a few more small parts I needed. I'm going to try them out and if they are as good as I think they will be, I'll be buying more.

At worst if they're not for me I know I can put them on EE and get a little of my money back. Can't hurt to try them out at the C&R price from Brownells.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's exactly how many I just ordered from Brownells along with a few more small parts I needed. I'm going to try them out and if they are as good as I think they will be, I'll be buying more.

At worst if they're not for me I know I can put them on EE and get a little of my money back. Can't hurt to try them out at the C&R price from Brownells.
If you don't like em, IM me, I'll give you what you paid for for them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't like em, IM me, I'll give you what you paid for for them.

Will do Dusty_C, but I suspect they will work out great and if so I'll be looking for other folks that want to get rid of theirs to. I know that if they work out good I'm in for at least 20 more.

Got to stock up before another ban comes around.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
lol that's pretty much a standing offer I have.  I bought ten from a guy not long ago that had a Smith and Wesson AR.  They didn't work in it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Until this thread I did not know that the PMag kept the rounds on a constant curve!  That must be a first for an AR magazine.  And that's HUGE.  That puts them on par with the AK magazines, and we all know that the constant curve of their magazines means reliability others are measured by.

I have had two Pmags since they became available just to test out.  I have had no failure and the only time they are empty is when I shoot them.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Pmags...I only got'em cuz my girlfriend made me get'em. Now she's forcing me to buy a brand new Noveske stick!!! hock.gif
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#14]
For awhile I wondered why I purchased 5 pmags instead of normal aluminum/steel mags. Well I have 1 metal mag that came with my bushmaster rifle - thats 3 months old now, and 3 normal pmags, and 2 windowed pmags. And I use each every time I go to the range...

I loaded my metal mag into my ar, and couldnt get it into the magwell...somehow the top of the mag has expanded and I cant get it to lock unless I force it up the magwell...I cant believe it! So, I will be ordering another pmag soon to replace this metal one that seems to be having issues. :shrug:
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
For awhile I wondered why I purchased 5 pmags instead of normal aluminum/steel mags. Well I have 1 metal mag that came with my bushmaster rifle - thats 3 months old now, and 3 normal pmags, and 2 windowed pmags. And I use each every time I go to the range...

I loaded my metal mag into my ar, and couldnt get it into the magwell...somehow the top of the mag has expanded and I cant get it to lock unless I force it up the magwell...I cant believe it! So, I will be ordering another pmag soon to replace this metal one that seems to be having issues. :shrug:

If your metal mag drops free, then you aren't feeling anything wrong. The mag is just stiff going in. You can try down loading it by a couple of rounds and it should go in easier, but not super easy. You will feel more resistance when the rounds come into contact with the bottom of the bolt.

P mags don't need to be down loaded because they have more room in them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Another new Pmag convert checking in. I intend to buy many more.

One question though: I understand the purpose of the little lids on the mags, to save the feed lips, but what about when the mag is kept loaded in the gun? Does the bolt press down on the top round enough to relieve the pressure on the lips?
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Another new Pmag convert checking in. I intend to buy many more.

One question though: I understand the purpose of the little lids on the mags, to save the feed lips, but what about when the mag is kept loaded in the gun? Does the bolt press down on the top round enough to relieve the pressure on the lips?

You are correct.  Then again, the feed lip cover was more of a precaution.  I believe it is Drake who has had a loaded mag on his desk for almost a year without the cover and the feed lips have not moved.  Cover or not, the feed lips will hold up on your PMAGs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#18]
The constant curve magazine body is a great idea, one which was tried back in the 1960's but failed back then due to dimensional variations in the production AR magwell.  It seems the early aluminum-construction, constant curve magazines fit some rifles just fine, while others wouldn't even seat into the magwell; they were "too tight".  Dimensional consistency of the AR magwell was initially not a priority, due to the AR originally using only a straight sided magazine, first of 25 rounds pre-production, then 20 rounds in production.  This debacle is what brought us the familiar USGI magazine shape, the "straight-then-curved" profile.  Obviously this is not a factor in the Magpul design though, since the internal constant curve is more forgiving in a plastic magazine which can have variable cross-sectional wall thickness across its length.  

The basic idea of an anti-tilt follower almost necessitates a mag body with a constant curve.  This is because wiith a straight-then-curved body like the USGI, the follower MUST tilt some, in order to make the transition between straight and curved sections.  If it fits too tight, the follower will jam at the transition point in a non-constant-curve magazine.

So it seems these magazines have some good points: 1) durable synthetic construction, 2) stainless steel spring, 3) constant curve internally, which allows use of an anti-tilt follower WITHOUT binding.

Finally, a question:  Do the PMags use steel reinforced feed lips like the Glock pistol mags and all synthetic AK mags?  This is a good thing to have, in terms of long-term abrasive wear resistance.
Link Posted: 12/26/2007 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#19]
No the feedlips are not reinforced. The polymer used shouldn't need it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2007 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Magpul #'s are MTBF of a USGI mag in general use

KevinB's numbers are for malfunctions in the dust test that was just concluded.

I must be missing somthing.  The post I read on the "Dust Test"  described a test that compared weapons.  Was there a magazine component to this test?  Were USGI mags used in all the test weapons?  Are you assuming all the M4s malfunctions were caused by the magazine????
Link Posted: 12/27/2007 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Selective use of the numbers Kurt. The numbers we estimated on were brand new or near new issued magazines in a controlled environment. I said in a field (real world) situation like Kevin is in the number spread would increase sharply.

AFAIK, they are the only numbers available.  Do you have any new data from actual testing?  Most people on this forum shoot at rifle ranges, so I think the "controlled environment" part is realistic for the vast majority of us here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I have been using USGI mags in three gun competition for years. Some have even come out of the package broken. Always it was a good idea to put some rounds thru them to insure they functioned 100%. Many times they did not. When P-mags came out I was hesitant to try them as I have seen more of the thermolds and Orlites fail in competition than GI mags. I have been using P-mags now for several months and many thousands of rounds. My aluminum GI mags will now gather dust for a long time (And probably never function again from all the dust) I have found one of the best attributes is that they are so smooth that the reduced friction helps the long term reliability of the cycling of the action.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Pmags are strong when it comes to a crushing type force (truck vs. Pmag) but take a pocket knife to one and start shaving off the plastic.  You will be surprised at how soft the plastic is and how easily you can shave it and cut chunks out of it.  I tried it on both the inside and outside of the mag.  It cuts very easily.

Just makes me wonder what the long term constant rubbing of case rims or sand may do to the inside walls of the mag.

Link Posted: 12/28/2007 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#27]
what's so special about Magpul's PMag?

They work great for the 300 Whisper
The PMags work good even with the 220grn RN 30rnds at 100%
These mags run the 240smk good 60rnds at 100%
Didnt do any mods to the mag.
Thiese mags would be easy to do the dremel the rib mod if needed.
These mags have somewhat of a feedramp that i think help.
When you push a round out by hand its smooth with very little effert.
I will run alot more rounds with these mags this weekend to see how they hold up.

Link Posted: 12/29/2007 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

For example -HK Mags out class most mags new but after field use they have been falling short.

They seem to do pretty well in the "Dust Test".  The HK only failed 233 times out of 60000 rounds.  This puts it in a tie for second place with the MK16 that failed slightly less 226 was it??
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have been using USGI mags in three gun competition for years. Some have even come out of the package broken. Always it was a good idea to put some rounds thru them to insure they functioned 100%. Many times they did not.

What brand??  Did you get them from the military or were they surplus?  Sounds like you might have been sold some rejects. I have opened several boxes of new USGI mags while in the military and have never seen a broken one.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Obviously this is not a factor in the Magpul design though, since the internal constant curve is more forgiving in a plastic magazine which can have variable cross-sectional wall thickness across its length.  

This is a very good point.  The "straight then curved"  profile of the USGI 30 rounder is not a "flaw", but a design necessity that is less than ideal so the mags fit into all the weapons.  The ideal plastic mag would have the "straight then curved" profile on the outside, then a constant curve on the inside.
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I admit I've only paid limited attention to Magpul's new PMags because I've never had any real issues with USGI mags which I'm well stocked on. When I saw Magpul was creating the PMag I figured that they would be cool if for no other reason then Magpul doesn't know how to make anything that isn't cool but I didn't really have any need for more mags so I kind of ignored them.

Now I'm seeing some people stating that PMags are better then USGI mags? Some people claim they will never buy another USGI mag and some are going so far as to actually sell off all of their USGI mags to replace them all with PMags? It's gotten so crazy that even MarkM, who seemed to hate any aftermarket upgrade and didn't even see the reason to upgrade away from the old black followers in the USGI mags is now one of the PMag's biggest fans. What in the world is going on!!!

I get that they are new and cool and come in different colors. I get that they have optionally windows and may someday come out in clear or smoke. I know that there is a video of them getting run over by a truck without damage but so far, that has never been an issue for me. On the downside I don't know that anybody can intelligently state what the long term reliability of these will be? If I'm not mistaken, the springs and followers are a proprietary design so if for some reason Magpul goes belly up 5 years from now, replacement parts may be hard or impossible to get?

Who I really want to hear from are those of you who are replacing your USGI mags with Magpuls or at least will only buy Pmags instead of USGI mags from now on? I need someone to explain to me why they feel the PMAg is that good? Please don't reply with something like "try them for yourself" because I already plan to. I'm just waiting for the 20 round version to get released and have the bugs worked out. I'm really just wanting to read if there is something about them that I have missed (other then the Chevy truck test) to understand why some people think they are better then the USGI mags?

Thanks

We will be releasing a full report on the PMags in 2008 until then we have this...

www.magpul.com/pics/dr_Drakes.jpg

Damn I love it when someone doesn't let their success or hype ruin their sense of humor.
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a tech question. I work in the polymer industry and am wondering what type of material are the mag bodies made of. If this is not an appropriate question for an open forum, please PM the info if it is open to discussion. I'm mainly wondering if you are using one of our products.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I finally got a chance to shoot 5 of my P mags today. Surprise! They functioned flawlessly! They feel so much more solid than the GI mags. I believe that I will be buying another 13 to finish getting to my first hundred 30 rd. mags. Then I will be looking for excuses to swap out more when the GI's finally go TU.
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Pmags are strong when it comes to a crushing type force (truck vs. Pmag) but take a pocket knife to one and start shaving off the plastic.  You will be surprised at how soft the plastic is and how easily you can shave it and cut chunks out of it.  I tried it on both the inside and outside of the mag.  It cuts very easily.

Just makes me wonder what the long term constant rubbing of case rims or sand may do to the inside walls of the mag.

I had all the knife edges removed from my bolt, and feed ramps and only use round, not sharp ammunition, so it hasnt proven to be an issue for me in several thousand rounds in my Pmags.
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had all the knife edges removed from my bolt, and feed ramps and only use round, not sharp ammunition, so it hasnt proven to be an issue for me in several thousand rounds in my Pmags.

I don't think those "pocket knife" rounds are available to the public yet. When they do finally come out, magpul will go out of business.
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just the same as all those mags out there that get run over by pick ups.  

It was a way to see how durable the mags are.  Personally, I was quite shocked to see how easily it was to shave the plastic.  I'm glad you haven't had any problems with your Pmags in the few months you've had them.  I haven't had any issues with USGI mags in over 13 years of LE and SWAT.  So what?
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a way to see how durable the mags are.  Personally, I was quite shocked to see how easily it was to shave the plastic.  I'm glad you haven't had any problems with your Pmags in the few months you've had them.  I haven't had any issues with USGI mags in over 13 years of LE and SWAT.  So what?

I hope you take my post in the friendly spirit that I intended.
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you take my post in the friendly spirit that I intended.

I noticed your wink.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#44]
anytime i can give some money to a company that hitlery hates i likey.  and pmags rule!
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Im glad you discovered knives cut plastic.  

Dont take one to your handguards or your pistol grip anytime soon.  You may not like the results.

I'll wink at you next time sweetheart
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Magpul - email sent with company name.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Magpul

Any time line for 20 round Pmags ? Thanks

John
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im glad you discovered knives cut plastic.  

Dont take one to your handguards or your pistol grip anytime soon.  You may not like the results.

I'll wink at you next time sweetheart

I used the knife initially like a scraper to simulate wear and tear from use and was able to get a lot of shavings.  It wasn't until I realized how soft the plastic actually was that I started to cut small chunks out of the mag.  

Have you even bothered to see how easy it is to shave plastic off of the feedlips or from inside the mag?  It doesn't take much effort.  I brought this up because the long term durability of the Pmag is still unknown.  It's surprising to know that the plastic is as soft as it appears to be.  If soft plastic that can easily be shaved/worn doesn't bother you, then good for you.

Feel free to add something useful instead of just making stupid comments like you always do.   Didn't mean to piss in your Kool-Aid...sweetheart.
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Proof is in the function- In drop tests, compression tests, corrosion tests the PMag beats the USGI mags consistantly. Service life for the PMag running ammo is far in excess of 70,000 rounds which is beyond the specification for USGI mags.

Magpul, thanks for all your helpful info in this discussion.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top