User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That looks much better than I was expecting.  Hmmmmm....I wonder if it would work well with the "traditional" AR receivers with a drop in block?   Sooner or later I'm sure someone will give it a try and report.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Who has 9mm barrels?  Something short, gonna build as a pistol then maybe SBR it down the road.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Who has 9mm barrels? Something short, gonna build as a pistol then maybe SBR it down the road.
View Quote

I like my ADCO barrel. They have 'em in any size and thread pitch you want.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who has 9mm barrels?  Something short, gonna build as a pistol then maybe SBR it down the road.
View Quote

I was thinking about a MicroMOA barrel, but may wait to see if anyone else comes out with 9mm barrels since affordable glock lowers are now on the market.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
My takedown pins are tight as shit in this lower (actually the Spartan version).  Is that a thing with billet lowers or are my takedown pins abnormally tight?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
My takedown pins are also tight (RunnerRunner version).  I also have a 5.56 billet lower from New Frontier Armory that were also tight.  They'll loosen up but for now I just use a punch to push them out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there any adjustments for magazine ride height on this lower through the mag catch?  I know the ejector can be adjusted but the mag catch seems to be holding the mag slightly too low and is causing feeding issues.  If I adjust the ejector higher it rubs on the bottom of the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine were also tight at first. I used a punch to move them in and out a few times and I can now move them by hand.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
What bolts are you guys using?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good question.  I think I'm going to use a NFA brand bolt but they have two different ones, one is $30 more than the other and I'm not immediately clear on what the difference between them is.  The cheaper one is modular but I'm not sure what that means, specifically.  Both bolts are ramped and cut for both colt pattern and Glock mags.

I'm also going to use an NFA LRBHO upper when they are available.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are there any adjustments for magazine ride height on this lower through the mag catch?  I know the ejector can be adjusted but the mag catch seems to be holding the mag slightly too low and is causing feeding issues.  If I adjust the ejector higher it rubs on the bottom of the bolt.
View Quote

I don't think there's an adjustment for mag ride height.  Have you tried different mags?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think there's an adjustment for mag ride height.  Have you tried different mags?
View Quote

Not yet,  I only have two magpul magazines at the moment.  So far I'm seeing the next to last and last round fail to feed.  It jams with enough force that it sets the bullet back into the casing.  When it does run it's fun as hell to shoot.

UPDATE:  After tweaking the ejector to ride as high as possible which allows the magazine to sit slightly higher I'm now only having issues on the last round jamming against the lower face of the barrel.  It seems like it may be a follower issue with the mags I'm using.  I'm going to get a true glock mag to test with.  The face of the barrel is also rough so I'm going to polish the area that's grabbing the bullet to see if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good question.  I think I'm going to use a NFA brand bolt but they have two different ones, one is $30 more than the other and I'm not immediately clear on what the difference between them is.  The cheaper one is modular but I'm not sure what that means, specifically.  Both bolts are ramped and cut for both colt pattern and Glock mags.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

im curious about the different bolts too
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#14]
After confirming with both NFA and QC10 that there shouldn't be any issues, I ordered a QC10 glock cut 9mm bolt...Fyi, they're currently on sale for 15% off...$199 plus shipping.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I contacted NFA today about their two different BCGs, the president of NFA, David, responded and said  "the modular one can have the head and tail swapped out for other calibers and weights down the road." He also mentioned that the price difference was because the modular one is easier to machine opposed to the regular 9mm BCG.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I contacted NFA today about their two different BCGs, the president of NFA, David, responded and said  "the modular one can have the head and tail swapped out for other calibers and weights down the road." He also mentioned that the price difference was because the modular one is easier to machine opposed to the regular 9mm BCG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thanks for that info!  I'll grab the modular one when they are ready for order.  I'll probably get everthing directly from JoeBoboutfitters.

I may jump on this slick side upper even though it's not a LRBHO one, it's billet and is $99.95 from JoeBob...

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_Smooth_Operator_Billet_AR15_Upper_Receiver_p/jb-spartansmooth.htm

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally got mine running smoothly.  I polished the lower face of the barrel where the bullet begins it's journey upward into the chamber.  This solved my last round jamming issue.  It ran perfectly with the magpul mags.  I can see this becoming my favorite gun to shoot.  It's a bit of a frankengun built with cheaper parts from everywhere.

Lower:  RunnerRunner (New Frontier Armory) dedicated Glock lower
Bolt: armil-spec (bought colt version since that was my initial direction and then modified it to work with glock mags.  Yes, I dremeled it. $92)
Barrel: Gorilla Machining 7.5" (I didn't know their history before buying. $59)
Mags: Magpul 17
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#18]
How's that gorilla 7.5 barrel ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How's that gorilla 7.5 barrel ?
View Quote

Except for the slightly rough machining on the face and no index pin it seems to be well worth the $59 I spent.  It's a good solid feeling barrel.  Some may not like that it's threaded at 1/2-36 instead of 1/2-28.  I took a chance on it due to the sale price.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bolts in stock at NFA, I'm waiting for Joebob to get them

Link
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#21]
What y'all think of the modular BCG anyone try it yet ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Completely new to the 9mm AR world.  Have an upper and lower from NFA on the way.

What should I look for in a barrel?  I am between a 5" and a 7" barrel right now, what threading do I want?  Does this depend on what kind I can I'll end up wanting?  

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Completely new to the 9mm AR world.  Have an upper and lower from NFA on the way.

What should I look for in a barrel?  I am between a 5" and a 7" barrel right now, what threading do I want?  Does this depend on what kind I can I'll end up wanting?  

View Quote

Welcome. But scroll through the threads in this subforum. You'll find your answers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I check their site everyday to see if they have the uppers are ready.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I check their site everyday to see if they have the uppers are ready.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#26]
The finished uppers are available, but not the ones with LRBHO

https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/c-9-billet-ar-9-slick-side-upper/
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder why are they  not releasing the LRBHO yet . Have they not received them yet or trying to sell the non LRBHO first knowing that the LRBHO will outsell  lol. Driving me crazy lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wonder why are they  not releasing the LRBHO yet . Have they not received them yet or trying to sell the non LRBHO first knowing that the LRBHO will outsell  lol. Driving me crazy lol
View Quote

They probably don't have the LRBHO model out yet since they probably have to modify the regular uppers to enable that.

1st they sold raw regular uppers, they had some ready to sell to people who want those while the rest went out for anodizing.

2nd now they're selling regular finished uppers, I bet they are currently modifying other finished ones for LRBHO

I would assume soon we will see the finished LRBHO model.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They probably don't have the LRBHO model out yet since they probably have to modify the regular uppers to enable that.

1st they sold raw regular uppers, they had some ready to sell to people who want those while the rest went out for anodizing.

2nd now they're selling regular finished uppers, I bet they are currently modifying other finished ones for LRBHO

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, I hope JoeBob gets some LRBHO Spartan uppers.  I really like the 'Molon Labe' on the Spartan uppers and it would match my JBO lower...
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

True, I hope JoeBob gets some LRBHO Spartan uppers.  I really like the 'Molon Labe' on the Spartan uppers and it would match my JBO lower...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the a JoeBob lower that I'm patiently waiting for the matching upper as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone using the 9mm BCG from NFA or at least their modular one .m
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking about ordering one once JBO had them in stock, but ending up ordering this one tonight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh my! My AR 9mm SBR may need a little brother. Nice builds guys. Joe Bob's are good people!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I was thinking about ordering one once JBO had them in stock, but ending up ordering this one tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow that's cheap
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wow that's cheap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow that's cheap

You ain't kidding. Any reviews on it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Saw a pic of a complete pistol build on a local facebook forum.  The upper and lower look great together.  Can't wait on the LRBHO upper!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Saw a pic of a complete pistol build on a local facebook forum.  The upper and lower look great together.  Can't wait on the LRBHO upper!
View Quote

Pic please
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Here is the pic from the Vegas page.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#39]
That's tight.  I may not wait too much longer for the hold open upper.  Want to get this thing running!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#41]

It's good to see them have it in stock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I like the looks of their BHO upper and lower together.  I'm afraid if I buy one of the BHO uppers, my current upper will spawn yet another pistol/rifle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I moved on a Spartan slick side upper (no BHO) and a 16" SOCOM barrel, all from JBO.  I have two of the lowers,guess the first will be a rifle then the second will be a pistol.  Got a free float handguard from Amazon on the cheap.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is there an advatage from a standard bolt to the one you purchased besides the price?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:  Is there an advatage from a standard bolt to the one you purchased besides the price?
View Quote

It will feed from a Glock mag.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Is there an advatage from a standard bolt to the one you purchased besides the price?

Both of the bolts desciptions say "AR-9 Modular 9mm BCG (Glock & Colt Compatible)"
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Both of the bolts desciptions say "AR-9 Modular 9mm BCG (Glock & Colt Compatible)"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The modular one can be adjusted for different calibers and weights.  I really just want to shoot 9mm (for now anyway) so I got the cheapest one.  I like the idea of using the NFA brand bolt with the NFA made lower, NFA made upper and NFA made barrel.  Should be fewer problems I hope...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#48]
When are the uppers with LRHBO gonna be in stock that's all I need to finish . Come on NF ....
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When are the uppers with LRHBO gonna be in stock that's all I need to finish . Come on NF ....
View Quote

Their Facebook post, dated 9/30, said they're waiting for the parts to finish them. Then party time!
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Their Facebook post, dated 9/30, said they're waiting for the parts to finish them. Then party time!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At this point, for every passing week it's still not available I will make a $50 contribution in their name to our friend in DC, BHO.

Not really.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top