Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Besides "minimalism", what advantages does the new Bolt-Up Plate mounting system have over the older type?

Continuous top rail, no barrel nut in the way. I really dig my AR10 rails, I will pick one up for one of my 15s as soon as the lite comes out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been interested in the DD 7.0 FF for quite some time. Is this new system really necessary? I haven't seen people complain about them coming lose. I happen to be in the process of having my new LMT complete upper built and I am wondering if I should hold out for this new system to be released. I dont plan on mounting a 203. Should I wait for get the current DD 7.0? Are there known issues with the current DD rails coming lose?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Do we have any weight data for the new handguards?

I was about to buy the DD 7.0 but the lack of a locking system kept me away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have been interested in the DD 7.0 FF for quite some time. Is this new system really necessary? I haven't seen people complain about them coming lose. I happen to be in the process of having my new LMT complete upper built and I am wondering if I should hold out for this new system to be released. I dont plan on mounting a 203. Should I wait for get the current DD 7.0? Are there known issues with the current DD rails coming lose?

Thanks.

Much like computers, the world of AR accessories is constantly changing and improving.  If you wait for the next big thing to come along, then when it does there will be some other next big thing on the horizon.  If you wait for that, then there will be yet ANOTHER next big thing coming around the bend....

See what happens?  If you keep waiting for the next big thing you'll never buy anything.  Get your rifle buit NOW and get out there training and competing NOW.  Don't wait for the next big thing.  Especially when nobody can tell you with any certainty when it will be released.  And as soon as they DO give you a date, the product will miss the date by 6 months.  Now you've wasted a year waiting on the next big thing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

According to the DD website their M4 handguards DO have locking pins....

www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=20&category_id=541a03b2b0e1b6dbd972e9f5af5ca992
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the DD website their M4 handguards DO have locking pins....

www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=20&category_id=541a03b2b0e1b6dbd972e9f5af5ca992

Yes but there's nothing preventing the lock ring from loosening causing the HG to come off the pins.

The new DD system uses like a 6-8 allen screw locking system similar to the LaRue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The new Daniel Defense catalog is now available on their website.  Check it out, its a great catalog.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The new DD rail was very low profile. Its narrower than most as usual, but the new design smaller top to bottm as well. I'd bet its circumference is smaller than anything else out there. It's a very nice design!

Ill definitely be getting one then. I love slim rails.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
snipped

Daniel Defense does sell a proprietary wrench for installation ($40).

MSRP for the AR15 Lite Rails are as follows:

$325 - 7.0
$375 - 9.0
$425 - 12.0

Both models of the RIS II (M4, A2) retail for $580.

Does anyone else think almost $600 is too much for a rail?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:16:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess it would depend on what I was doing with the rail.

IMHO, selling their rail system for $600 would be a mistake, kind of like Aimpoint and their overpriced magnifier.

At that price point I would rather get a Vltor VIS which would be a true monolithic upper and pretty much do everything the DD would do and few things it won't.

Also, by the time you add a upper receiver to the DD it would cost more the Vltor VIS...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO, selling their rail system for $600 would be a mistake, kind of like Aimpoint and their overpriced magnifier.

At that price point I would rather get a Vltor VIS which would be a true monolithic upper and pretty much do everything the DD would do and few things it won't.

Also, by the time you add a upper receiver to the DD it would cost more the Vltor VIS...

$600 is too much for a rail that isn't any better than a LaRue.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

There, someone else said it so I didn't have to...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I just purchased a DD 7.0 FF Rail.

I could actually care less.  I've never heard complaints about the rail and I think it looks great so I'm happy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just purchased a DD 7.0 FF Rail.

I could actually care less.  I've never heard complaints about the rail and I think it looks great so I'm happy.

You cant go wrong with the DD 7.0 FF Rail. Its the lightest on the market...and dont worry about all the hoopla over the extra locking pins.....from what I have been told, the DD wont come lose unless you abuse the heck out of it.....like throwing it off cliffs onto rocks and such.....you did well, dont question yourself.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#17]
$600 is a lot for a rail system.  If you are looking for the only M203 free float solution with no additional parts the RIS II is for you and I am sure that this design feature would merit the $ 600 price tag.  If you don't have an M203 or the need to free float the M203 the RIS II is not for you.  This rail is designed to free float the M203 with no additional parts and it is the only rail system of its kind.

If we (Daniel Defense) win the SOPMOD II solicitation with our RIS II entry the price will absolutely come down with increased production.

Best Regards,
Jay Duncan
VP, Sales and Marketing
Daniel Defense Inc.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Cheaf!  Any weight info (esp on the LITE rails)?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
$600 is a lot for a rail system.  If you are looking for the only M203 free float solution with no additional parts the RIS II is for you and I am sure that this design feature would merit the $ 600 price tag.  If you don't have an M203 or the need to free float the M203 the RIS II is not for you.  This rail is designed to free float the M203 with no additional parts and it is the only rail system of its kind.

If we (Daniel Defense) win the SOPMOD II solicitation with our RIS II entry the price will absolutely come down with increased production.

Best Regards,
Jay Duncan
VP, Sales and Marketing
Daniel Defense Inc.

Can you please explain the benefits of having the new DD 7.0 bolt up lite rail versus your current DD7.0 offered? I dont plan on mounting a 203...just basic stuff. Have you guys been having problems with your rails coming lose? Is that the reason for the new bolt up system? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
As far as I can see from this thread:

1.) It will give you an uninterrupted upper rail

2.) The handguard will be very low profile, which I personally like.

Best of luck to DD on winning RIS II, mostly so the price will come down. I personally like that design more than the SIR or the URX. Kinda of a mix of all the best things, and makes me wonder why KAC didn't opt for a simpler M203 mount.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best Regards,
Jay Duncan
VP, Sales and Marketing
Daniel Defense Inc.

Can you please explain the benefits of having the new DD 7.0 bolt up lite rail versus your current DD7.0 offered? I dont plan on mounting a 203...just basic stuff. Have you guys been having problems with your rails coming lose? Is that the reason for the new bolt up system? Thanks.

The AR15 Lite Rail and the RIS II are two different rail systems.  The AR15 Lite Rail utilizes the same mounting system as the AR10 Lite Rail and provides a monolithic flat top.  The RIS II does the same but has a removable lower rail and M203 hanger plates to free float the M203.

Next week at the Small Arms Championship at Ft. Benning we have an AAR (After Action Report) with some 3rd ID soldiers returning from Iraq with the DMRs built by the Army Marksmanship Unit and we will find out if they had any issues with the threaded ring coming loose.  In my experience I have only heard of one threaded ring coming loose to date.  I have heard rumors of it here on ARFCOM but like I said I have only had one customer experience that problem.  

With proper installation of the threaded ring it will not come loose.

I am working on getting the weights for the AR15 Lite Rails right now.
Stay Tuned.

Best Regards,
Jay Duncan
VP, Sales and Marketing
Daniel Defense Inc.
www.danieldefense.com
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Cheaf will you please define proper installation for me?  My DD ring came loose, so did my KAC rings, until I applied some blue loctite, is that what you're talking about?  Otherwise with a strap wrench and tightening it as much as I could, it could still get loose from the vibrations.  TIA.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Ricker, which ones are you using on current builds, and how soon do you think your changeover will be?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Both models of the RIS II (M4, A2) retail for $580.

$580

I will go for the ARMS RIS $315.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#25]
tagged
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#27]
any idea if these are available.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:32:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys aren't comparing apples to apples. The DD AR15 Lite rail is what would be a fair comparison to the LaRue rail. The DD LR looks like its street price may be a tad bit higher then the LaRue but from what I'm seeing, I would gladly to pay the extra coin. Lighter, slimmer and a uninterrupted top rail? From where I'm sitting, it looks like the DD LR kicks butt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys aren't comparing apples to apples. The DD AR15 Lite rail is what would be a fair comparison to the LaRue rail. The DD LR looks like its street price may be a tad bit higher then the LaRue but from what I'm seeing, I would gladly to pay the extra coin. Lighter, slimmer and a uninterrupted top rail? From where I'm sitting, it looks like the DD LR kicks butt.

Agreed.

People aren't reading and comprehending.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone know if the Lite Rail will still fit over a shaved FSB?  That's the biggest reason I chose to go with a DD 9.0 in the first place; I didn't have to buy a proprietary gas block.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Actually they are. $600 is just too much for a rail, regardless of how slim it is or how many grenade launchers can be mounted on it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Did we ever get a weight?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Actually they are. $600 is just too much for a rail, regardless of how slim it is or how many grenade launchers can be mounted on it.

Well, dont buy it then. We are not the intended market anyway.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To all,

I've seen LaRue measure the picatinny rails on numerous upper receivers and believe me when I say no two are alike.   This "uninterrupted top rail" business is pure folly.  There is no way DD or LT knows what width your rail is or where it's gonna be.  So it's simple to think that two things, machined at two different times/places, can be called "uninterrupted".   Heck, its tough enough just getting the barrel nut in the right place to make them at least appear close.  All I'm saying is that if there is a split between them, then they are not "uninterrupted".

Now, back to your fighting...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Just from your response, I can see that you aren't.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To all,

I've seen LaRue measure the picatinny rails on numerous upper receivers and believe me when I say no two are alike.   This "uninterrupted top rail" business is pure folly.  There is no way DD or LT knows what width your rail is or where it's gonna be.  So it's simple to think that two things, machined at two different times/places, can be called "uninterrupted".   Heck, its tough enough just getting the barrel nut in the right place to make them at least appear close.  All I'm saying is that if there is a split between them, then they are not "uninterrupted".

Now, back to your fighting...

Well then what's with all these reports on the URX II and Troy/Samson rails? Items seem to mount fine on the 'gap' and if they mount fine, that's "uninterrupted" enough for me. I honestly don't see how it's folly if the Army is actually considering three non-monolithic designs for an "uninterrupted" upper rail.

Can you clarify some more?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
www.adcofirearms.com/images/risii-m16.jpg

www.adcofirearms.com/images/risii-m4.jpg

Pricing on the RIS II is higher than all the other DD forends. Remember, the reason for these designs was to fulfill the requirement of mounting the M203 while maintaining a  free-floating barrel. Therefore, the RIS II has features of which most of us will never take advantage. That's why the classic DD M4Rails will also be offered with the same mounting system, at a lower price than the RIS II.

Stay tuned, folks. More good things are coming from DD.

Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gentlemen,

With all due respect, there are cost components to doing military business that go well beyond the part you see in your hand.    Those who have not had the pleasure of bidding military work will usually not understand those costs and the impacts they have on the price of a given part.   To ignore those costs is every bit as ludicrous as saying that the handguard only contains about $2 worth of raw aluminum, therefore its price should be about $2.50.  If anyone wants to get a small glimpse of what's involved between the $2 and $600, I urge you to go find the solicitation, download and print it and every other specification, FAR, DFAR, etc. incorporated by reference.  You might want to buy an 8' bookcase and 40 - 50 large binders to put your printouts in.  After you finish reading through those specs (all of them - miss something and you get downselected!) you will be better prepared to discuss the cost of the rail.

While I can't speak for Daniel Defense, I'm guessing that they would be more than happy to sell you some of  these handguards AT COST which is currently one helluva lot more than $600.  

No flame intended - just trying to shed some light on the pricing of parts developed under military specs.

Best regards,

Ashley

I don't think anyone is questioning why it is $600, just is it really worth $600? To me, it is not, and don't think for one minute I say that because I don't like DD products because I do.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I don't think anyone is questioning why it is $600, just is it really worth $600? To me, it is not, and don't think for one minute I say that because I don't like DD products because I do.

What you don't seem to be grasping is they are not designed for you, me or any other civie so whether or not you think they are worth $600 couldn't matter less so get off of it already. They are designed for the Military and what the Military feels they need. Believe it or not, ARFCOMers don't always have the same needs as the Military.

The real question and the only one that really matters is...Are these rails worth $600 to the Military? Only time will tell.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#43]
In arfcom tradition, another great thread goes down the shitter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What you don't seem to be grasping is they are not designed for you, me or any other civie so whether or not you think they are worth $600 couldn't matter less so get off of it already. They are designed for the Military and what the Military feels they need. Believe it or not, ARFCOMers don't always have the same needs as the Military.

This is a discussion forum and $600 is the price for the general public. If these were not sold to the general public there would be no price or criticism. Since they are and this is being discussed the price tag is relevant and critical to consumers.

I like the rail, the design has promise and is something I could use. The price on the other hand is ridiculous.

Quoted:
The real question and the only one that really matters is...Are these rails worth $600 to the Military? Only time will tell.

That may be the question in your mind but had you been paying attention you would know that .gov is not paying $600. I can assure you that the mill won't be buying rails for $600 each.

One more time for those that don't understand, this is a discussion forum where products are discussed, not the EE where products are sold. This is absolutely the time and the place for praise and criticism. If you are not prepared to hear criticism then you should not be here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

One more time for those that don't understand, this is a discussion forum where products are discussed, not the EE where products are sold. This is absolutely the time and the place for praise and criticism. If you are not prepared to hear criticism then you should not be here.

Yes, discussion not bitching. You have no praise/criticism but are only bitching about the price. There is nothing to discuss. If you think it is too high then dont buy it. DD already said that the price would go down if .mil adopts it to increase production numbers. They are not going to lower the price just so you  can be happy. So quit trying win this stupid arguement.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#46]
If DD sells the system for $600 to the government, then they can't sell it for less to the civilian market. The only want they can sell it for less is if the item was flawed and considered as a "second" or if there are enough changes to please the Military contracting officers and auditors. This is why the KAC RIS is so high in price, as well as the Crane SOPMOD stock.

If you want the same thing the military has, you'll pay the price.

wp
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#47]
OK, so for $600 do you get the M203 hardware you won't use?....It's not yer vanilla  M203 with barrel attachement right?

Simon
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#48]
"in arfcom tradition, another great thread goes down the shitter."

Seconded.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
OK, so for $600 do you get the M203 hardware you won't use?....It's not yer vanilla  M203 with barrel attachement right?

Simon

I'm very curious as to how the M203 attachment works at this point...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't care how nice it is, $600 is just damn crazy.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top