Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand busy, I don't accept poor service.

Having spent more than 24 years in Army Special Forces (19 active) I have agood idea what is suitable for military use and what is not. I honestly believe their products are more suited to civilian use vs military so they need to take care of their civilian customers... Regardless, customer service is everything even with the military.

By the way, I'm tired of calling them.

SS
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe the guys name who took my order on the 19th of Nov to APO AE 09046 was "Tom".
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#5]
DId you read that the order was to APO AE 09046?

My card was billed by MGI on the 19th of Nov.

Do you guys read email sent to your site?

SS
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Bottom line: MGI charged me for something they didn't have, MGI didn't ship when promised (2 times), MGI did not return calls, MGI did not return emails.  All in all poor service.

Please clarify "timely" shipping.

I will be back in Germany on Monday, we'll see if it arrives.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bottom line: MGI charged me for something they didn't have, MGI didn't ship when promised (2 times), MGI did not return calls, MGI did not return emails.  All in all poor service.

Having dealt with MGI for several years now, mostly doing my business directly with Tom, I can say that he provides the best service of any dealer on this website.  Period.  If this is important, my bona fides are 24 years active duty both in enlisted and commissioned status, now a senior Navy GS overseeing training for deploying units.

I suggest you read the above posts a bit slower for comprehension sake.  Seems to me that the MGI rep on this board is going above and beyond to resolve your problems even though he isn't making a dime off you.  I think the words you're looking for is "THANK YOU".
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 3:08:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having dealt with MGI for several years now, mostly doing my business directly with Tom, I can say that he provides the best service of any dealer on this website.  Period.  If this is important, my bona fides are 24 years active duty both in enlisted and commissioned status, now a senior Navy GS overseeing training for deploying units.

I suggest you read the above posts a bit slower for comprehension sake.  Seems to me that the MGI rep on this board is going above and beyond to resolve your problems even though he isn't making a dime off you.  I think the words you're looking for is "THANK YOU".
+1

Even though I'm just a lowly SPC.  Even I know.

If its an important delivery.  NEVER LET THE .MIL MAIL SYSTEM GET THERE HANDS ON IT!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#10]
WayneG,

As you said, read carefully. You are right, Tom is making a great effort so, Thank you Tom.

I recognise Tom is not an MGI employee and I am not attacking Tom. My arguements are with MGI. But from what I read it is also in Tom's interest to control negative publicity since he is an MGI dealer and does make money from selling their products. This is exactly why I posted here; I could not get a response out of MGI using any other means.

Now, please remember my concerns with MGI (not Tom) are:

1. MGI charged me for a product they did not have to sell. hip

3. MGI did not return calls when I was able to leave a message with someone at the number posted on their website. They also did not return calls when I left voice messages on their machine. hem

If the above adds up to a great company in other peoples minds MGI will probably prosper, I will not accept it and will not buy their products in the future. When I first started looking at this thing a neighbor was also interested so if the upper does appear I will sell it at the first opportunity. He might not take it though since he knows about the poor service I have received from MGI.

It is my opinion that the uppers along with the lowers are not products suitable for military use, better to have complete rifle systems than a box of parts. The Stoner 63 and 63A had a lot of problems and they were in just one caliber. MGI's parts are neat toys for civilians but even then the costs of complete rifles can come very close to the "toy box" approach. Professionals don't re-configure for every event, doing so compromises training and muscle memory.  Most SOF opperators learned quickly when the SOP Mod kit came out they needed to get their gun the way they wanted it and quit switching around. There are lots of companies out there developing products that look cool but are absolutely impractical for the military, the most recent I have seen is the 150 round drum being developed by some guys with no military experience and no appreciation for what a soldier carries around. It is a highly impractical thing and on top of it they were projecting a unit cost of $650-$750 with a goal of selling it to the Military! Bottom line: I didn't see anyone post that MGI was a great company only that Tom does a good job, MGI better get their customer service act together.

SOC,

When you are overseas just axactly how do you prevent the military mail system from "getting their hands on it"? Are you proposing putting "important" things into the foreign mail services hands and running them through various Customs services?

SS
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Tom,

As a former SOTIC (Special Operations Target Interdiction Course) instructor, gunsmith (yes we built our own guns at Bragg before the M24) and SOTIC NCOIC, I would be curious to know where and when he was a sniper instructor.

SS
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
WayneG,

As you said, read carefully. You are right, Tom is making a great effort so, Thank you Tom.

I recognise Tom is not an MGI employee and I am not attacking Tom. My arguements are with MGI. But from what I read it is also in Tom's interest to control negative publicity since he is an MGI dealer and does make money from selling their products. This is exactly why I posted here; I could not get a response out of MGI using any other means.

Now, please remember my concerns with MGI (not Tom) are:

1. MGI charged me for a product they did not have to sell.

2. MGI did not ship as promised two different times and admitted to me having not done so.

3. MGI did not return calls when I was able to leave a message with someone at the number posted on their website. They also did not return calls when I left voice messages on their machine.

4. MGI never responded to emails sent to them using their website.

If the above adds up to a great company in other peoples minds MGI will probably prosper, I will not accept it and will not buy their products in the future. When I first started looking at this thing a neighbor was also interested so if the upper does appear I will sell it at the first opportunity. He might not take it though since he knows about the poor service I have received from MGI.

It is my opinion that the uppers along with the lowers are not products suitable for military use, better to have complete rifle systems than a box of parts. The Stoner 63 and 63A had a lot of problems and they were in just one caliber. MGI's parts are neat toys for civilians but even then the costs of complete rifles can come very close to the "toy box" approach. Professionals don't re-configure for every event, doing so compromises training and muscle memory.  Most SOF opperators learned quickly when the SOP Mod kit came out they needed to get their gun the way they wanted it and quit switching around. There are lots of companies out there developing products that look cool but are absolutely impractical for the military, the most recent I have seen is the 150 round drum being developed by some guys with no military experience and no appreciation for what a soldier carries around. It is a highly impractical thing and on top of it they were projecting a unit cost of $650-$750 with a goal of selling it to the Military! Bottom line: I didn't see anyone post that MGI was a great company only that Tom does a good job, MGI better get their customer service act together.

SOC,

When you are overseas just axactly how do you prevent the military mail system from "getting their hands on it"? Are you proposing putting "important" things into the foreign mail services hands and running them through various Customs services?

SS

Easiest way I know of getting stuff delivered is, to have it sent to whoever in your unit is in charge of supply back in the states and keeping the package in your units delivery chain.

The other way is to have it sent to a soldier in replacement that will be arriving from stateside, toss it in his personal baggage.

The biggest reason I hate .mil mail.  THIEF'S.  I always have a letter listing package contents tossed in.  More often than not the package has been opened and resealed and is missing something.  I've had everything from beef jerky to portable DVD players stolen from my packages.  If your upper stays missing and MGI swears they sent it, I'd suspect a  Thief.

I hope my advice can help you out in the future.  It sounds like you've already been screwed, and it's may not be MGI's doing.

You may ask MGI to provide a package tracking #, that way you can know when it is shipped and when it "Vanishes" into .mil mail hands.

Also if your neighbor won't buy your MGI upper I'll take it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you guys thinking about a .50ae kit?  If so, great, I can wait.  If not, do you know if the Tromix Sledgehammer barrel/mags will work?
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Fair enough.  .308 and Glock mag 9mm will be nice for now.  I am about to sell my RRA M4gery and my Arsenal SAM7S to get your modular AR.  I have lots of GI 556 mags, Bulgie waffles in 76239 and a few 33rnd Glock 9mm mags.  All I will need is some M14 mags.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#18]
BTW, the guy at the gun show in Vegas said you guys will be stocking the gun store on Blue Diamond in Las Vegas Nevada starting Thursday?
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Tom,

No sign of it. Just for reference, I get priority mail packages from Brownells in 5 working days. I am really curioyus now what "timely" shipping is.

SOC,

All great suggestions if your unit is from CONUS. Doesn't work when the unit is overseas based such as in Germany.

By the way, at this point I do not believe anything MGI says so them "swearing" they sent it doesn't cut. They "swore they had the item and swore they would sent it right out twice. Can't say they "swore" to return my calls but I am never the less angry neither calls nor emails were returned.

SS
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Tom,

No sign of it. Just for reference, I get priority mail packages from Brownells in 5 working days. I am really curioyus now what "timely" shipping is.

SOC,

All great suggestions if your unit is from CONUS. Doesn't work when the unit is overseas based such as in Germany.

By the way, at this point I do not believe anything MGI says so them "swearing" they sent it doesn't cut. They "swore they had the item and swore they would sent it right out twice. Can't say they "swore" to return my calls but I am never the less angry neither calls nor emails were returned.

SS

SS,

Did Tom give you the USPS tracking #?  In his previous post he stated the data shows it was received and is either at the PS or being held up by customs at your end.  If the tracking number bears this out then you are yelling at the wrong folks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you guys thinking about a .50ae kit?  If so, great, I can wait.  If not, do you know if the Tromix Sledgehammer barrel/mags will work?

It may come down the road, but currently we're capable of using any non-bull barrel that will work in an AR15. Bull barrels(over 1" diameter won't fit). Generally most anything of relatively normal dimensions with an AR15 barrel extension on it will work.
Don't know about the Tromix mags. I've never seen one, and don't know the dimensions.
In any case, we have a lot of work left to do to get our basic hi-popularity magwells out first, so it won't be in the near future for any 50AE packages.

Tom -

I can assist with this if needed, .50AE barrels are pretty much identical to .458 SOCOM barrels ...  the biggest issue is the bolt (suggest going with 502 TS brass) and the magazine (I have some of the fillers but none of the followers from Tromix)  I worked with Tromix on a number of things ...
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have to admit, I kind of skimmed through the thread. So if this question was already answered, I apologize.  Why was the decision made to use M-14 mags instead of FAL mags.? I can't see any possible benefits of not using FAL mags.   Just curious.

Yes, we've been over this.

The FAL mags are not well-suited to this application.
Center-feed mags don't easily conform to the needs of the AR system that feeds alternately on each side of center.

Yes, I know FAL mags are cheap.
But if they don't work right for the application, then saving a few bucks on mags is little consolation.

For refresher...

Why not what almost everyone else is using for 308 AR's, the only mag used by multiple manufacturers, the original AR10/Knights/DPMS and at least one other.  They were designed for that style rifle, not modded from another style.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love the idea of this system.  It looks great!

There’s just one problem.  It was something that was expressed by some of my 3-gun friends during a conversation about this system.  The block that holds the barrel retention levers doesn’t facilitate the use of a foregrip until what is essentially the middle of the carbine length rail.  I know quite a few people who run their guns with a foregrip in the first 1/3rd of the rail.  They might be put off by a system that doesn’t allow them to attach a foregrip in their preferred position.

Might I suggest a proposed solution?  

-Release a foregrip that is ALSO the retainer for these levers.  Make it a design that is simple and not whacky.  Something basic like a KAC grip or GGG grip.  Also, the ability to lock it down in a similar way to a KAC grip so it doesn’t wobble around.  This also might ease the minds of people worried about the retainer coming loose.

-As another option, you could make it so that the retainer has a picatiny rail built into it (like a riser), so that people can use their preferred foregrip.  Try not to make it too bulky (offsetting the foregrip too much), and use a throw lever for retention.   The throw lever could facilitate easy removal of the retainer, keeping barrel change time quick.

I hope these suggestions aren’t out of line.
Keep up the great work and innovation!

Thanks!

Yes, both of your suggestions have come under consideration, and it would be possible to do either one of them.
For the reasons that Wayne mentioned in his post, a VFG that is close to the magwell would have to be a short one, if it was to be used with the AK system.

Basically, this is a detail that will have to get worked out as we go along.

Edited to add:
Also, please note that our cam-levers can be user-removed, and put in from the top, with the sliding block riding on the top rail instead of the bottom rail.
Depending on what you might have on the top rail, this may be preferred in some cases, to clear the entire bottom rail for installation of your desired rail mounted items such as VFG near the magwell.
Of course, this would take up space on the top rail then, but you might have room for it there, that wouldn't interfere with anything on the top rail, maybe.
We made the levers capable of being on the bottom or the top, so that we could employ a rail-mounted M203 grenade launcher on the bottom rail(which takes up the entire bottom rail). The levers in this case would have to be moved to the top rail, so that the launcher would have room to be installed. It's a quick and easy procedure to move the levers from bottom to top, or vice-versa.

I just found this and don't have enough time to read the entire thread right now, but I had an idea that falls along this same premise.  Make each lever handle as half of a pic rail,   When latched it makes a pic-rail that your Quick Release handgrip latches onto.  It could be anywhere on the rail as long as one of the levers' slots have one or both of the orgrip mount claws holding them.  And for those who prefer a more forward grip, have 4 slot width grip base available, which gives 2 extra slots of room, plus offset the an off set  the grip position so it is over the front two slots for an additional slot forward.  

Another "low real estate" option if more room is needed:
Make a two slot locking cover.  Perhaps a pushbutton or squeeze release to keep it in position.  It would only need to move forward one slot to release the levers, allowing them to be pivoted out  to release the barrel.  And I cant think of any reason why it wouldn't work on the top rail.  It would only occupy two slots of space, plus another slot for travel to release the levers.  Not much real estate covered by this method, which seemed to be one complaint..
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#27]
WayneG,

I became SF qualified as an 11B and 11C. With the start of the SF MOS series 18 I later became qualified as an 18F and 18Z and served more than 20 years in SF assignments between the years 1077 and 2002. Most of this time in the 10th SFG in Europe. I also worked at the JFK Special Warfare Center in various capacities to include sniper instructor, weapons instructor, and training developer.

I know quite a few retired military folks who had very little contact with weapons so in reference this port;

"If this is important, my bona fides are 24 years active duty both in enlisted and commissioned status, now a senior Navy GS overseeing training for deploying units."  

What did you do as an enlisted person and officer? Did you work with small arms or as an operator or small arms developer?

SS

Link Posted: 12/21/2007 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#29]
How's the pistol caliber gas system/barrel availibilty coming along? I can almost taste the GLOCK magwells.  I have been holding off on the Oly GL9, waiting (im)patiently for the shot show...  
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Tom,

Regarding you last post, it only creates more questions. The only way he would have worked at SOTIC is if he was a graduate of the course but you didn't say he was. The phrase "sniper qualified" can mean almost anything ranging from local unit courses to the two premier couorses: SOTIC and the Scout Sniper Instructor School at Quantico.

FWIW: SWC has records of every student (active and reserve) who ever attended training in SWC courses since the 1950's and using the freedom of information act (FOIA) anyone's training record is available if anyone cares to request it. Copies of discharge papers (DD 214's) which list all training attended and assignments are also available using the FOIA.

Also regarding you having seen his "ID card, challenge coin, and SF ring" I never heard of an SF ID, could be something made up for an exercise and issued to operators and non-operators alike (all exercise participants). The coin s and rings are available to anyone who cares to purchase them. Coins are rarely "issued" the exception is the rare Bn Commander that may present them to new guys reporting in but there is no way of proving that to have been tha case.Operators and non-operators alike are known to carry the same unit coin. Engraving is also no proof because guys have their coins engraved individually, I have a bunch that are not engraved.

Back to the MGI product I ordered: I was able to sell the upper so I no longer have an interest in MGI and will recommend against them and their products in the future.

WayneG,

I just checked my post that was moved and noticed your reference to "noob" and find it offensive.  Although a member since 2005, I have not posted here because I didn't have anything to say, doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. Seems like I read here somewhere that there is a rule for showing some common courtesy and respect. Although I see posts from people to appear to have not been operators I wouldn't consider refering to them as REMFs until I knew for sure and they were ok with it.

SS
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Since the DPMS/Knights mags are made for a much larger AR10 type  platform, it's no real advantage to our develpment to use them just because they work in an AR-looking gun, because they pose the same difficulties as the M14 mags, in terms of getting it to fit into our AR15-sized platform.

At least they have a provision for the same type of BHO and release system.  I guess the groove down the back of the magwell isn't wide enough for the AR10 mags, and that doesn't change with the magwell conversion, perhaps?
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Tom- any word on the 45 kit?  I've been stocking up on Greasegun mags!
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tom- any word on the 45 kit?  I've been stocking up on Greasegun mags!

Hi Wayne!

Mack III had it out last weekend, running it heavily in full-auto, and said it was doing fine in blowback format.
I expect that it will be one of the things that should be released at the SHOT Show.

There is some question about whether production will be done by that time, so we'll have to see.
As far as I know, there should be no further hold-up on that magwell.

I'll need a barrel and bolt as well, so I'll hold up until you're ready to release the whole package.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#39]
More MGI goodies ordered.  Thanks Tom!

Mmmmm...  Carcano.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Regarding the "law enforcement magwells" I saw the 9mm one at Knob Creek. Mack showed it to me and it looks VERY nice! Should be lots of fun with a 33rd G18 mag in it. He also sent me 2 videos of the .45 grease gun magwell running.....exceptionally cool! I'm hoping they get the gas operated ones finalized and in production as I think that would be a better system.

The parts for my MGI project are getting together little by little. The receiver will be going to Orion Arms very soon for its engraving. All I can say about the 7.62x39 set up is it will be wicked........
Steve
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Can you post an updated list of the magwells currently in production/R&D?
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Forgive me if this question is being rehashed.  I don't have the time to go back 18 pages to figure out the answer.

Is your 308 ready yet?  I bought a lower almost 1 or 2 years ago (whenever the lowers first came out) and it's been sitting in my safe waiting for a 308.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Forgive me if this question is being rehashed.  I don't have the time to go back 18 pages to figure out the answer.

Is your 308 ready yet?  I bought a lower almost 1 or 2 years ago (whenever the lowers first came out) and it's been sitting in my safe waiting for a 308.
I talked to Tom a couple days ago.  They are working on the feed problems on the 308.  So no it's not out yet.  

The way I look at it is, MGI wants the 308 to be another great product.  At around $1,000 it should be durable and reliable.

I'm happy to see that they are doing all there product testing themselves and not forcing the customer to do it.

I am convinced that when the 308 is ready it will be one of MGI's best products.  They are not going to sell a half baked rushed into production prototype.  (Unlike some others will and do)

I'd say 308 is imminent

I'll bet you'll be reading customer reviews on it by summer 08.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 1:28:34 AM EDT
[#45]
I look forward to the .308 kit much, and sooner or later the belt-fed option. And the open bolt-auto/closed bolt-semi trigger kit for the RR M-16 also looks very cool. You guys have some great ideas.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can you post an updated list of the magwells currently in production/R&D?

In production are the AR15 and AK47 magwells.

In later stages of development/finalization are Law Enforcement Magwell(Glock 9mm and 40S&W), Grease Gun 45ACP magwell, Colt 9mm SMG magwell, Sten 9mm magwell, 308 kit w/magwell for modded M14 mags. We have shown all of these in various stages of development at shows over the last year or so. We plan to show all of these at the SHOT Show, and we're hoping to have some of them available for ordering at that time.

Some other develpment work is on a PPS 7,62x25 magwell, and on a belt-feed option, and an open-bolt LMG fire-control-group for M16, and an open-bolt auto/closed-bolt semi selectable FCG for M16, a rimfire kit for .22 and .17 rimfires that will trip an auto sear, and gas-operated systems for pistol caliber conversions that will use gas tubes instead of blowback. This stuff is probably a little more down the road than the other stuff, and I have no release schedule for any of it.

Being that we have suffered some delays on alot of our stuff in the past, I'm hesitant to make any more predictions on actual release dates until I get the official go-ahead to do so from the factory.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Tom,

Somewhere during this 18 page thread I know I've posted before, but I want a belt fed option.  It doesn't look like Geoff will be delivering my shrike any time soon, and I NEED (LOL) a belt fed option in 5.56.

Please tell Mack to make it so.  I'm waiting in line to buy one.

Link Posted: 1/9/2008 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Roger that.  I am awaiting the "law enforcement" magwell before ordering my lower.  I won't wait for the gas upper, as I can probably cobble a working 9mm upper together that will work for a while.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#50]
twl,

How does the barrel system work? Do we order the barrels from you, or can we get them from anywhere? Also, what kind of bolts are usable? If you have the 5.56 magwell, then want to switch to 6.8 or 6.5Gren again, whose bolt do you use? Thanks!

Page / 12
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top