Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2016 12:36:17 PM EDT
To those of you that have personally used both both systems, which of the two did you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
M-Lok period. IMO is a way better lock up system. I love BCM, and had the nerve to ask them if they were planning on making both, and their reply was we don't plan on making any m-lok handguards. I am aware that they are the designers of Key Mod, and I love the look of their KMR, and would have happily payed the $250.- to have it, but in m-lok. I feel like they could corner the market with both systems available. I have seen m-lok to key mod adapters but not the other way around. I haven't owned anything key mod, simply because I don't have the resources to try out a $250.- rail system for fun, when my common sense told me to go with M-Lok. If Bravo Company wants to send me one, I would gladly do a comparison review and put it right here. When Nate Murr, the inventor of the B5 grip stop made a video about key mod flaws, I was sold on m-lok. Hope that helps with your decision to go with one or the other. Plus I see way more accessories available in m-lok these days. BCM is one of the best companies out there, but their pride in key mod will limit their whole platform in the end. At the same time, if you aren't running any gear on the handguards, then go key mod. If you plan on a bipod, afg, or fore grip, then go with m-lok. Sorry if I made this way to long. I feel like what's good for the customers, will be good for the company. What do I know though?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Keymod kinda looks like the metal shelving fasteners.

So I feel BCM did an Apple version of "invented it"

Not that it really matters, I just dont want my front rail looking like something from Ikea. Atleast m-lok holes looks like vent slots when not in use.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Mlok for me. I went mlok because i like magpul accessories and i wanted direct attachment.

Plus kemod looks cheap
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/558261/temp/Fasteners.png

Not that it really matters, I just dont want my front rail looking like something from Ikea. Atleast m-lok holes looks like vent slots when not in use.
View Quote

KeyMod is open source.  BCM didn't invent it, nor do they claim to.

MLock requires licensing agreements with Magpul.

It's also worth noting that someone above said MLock has better lockup...Can you quantify that?  What Magpul has said is that their polymer wasn't strong enough to hold up in the thin angle areas where the keymod is back cut on the inside.  They made MLock so they could sell products that were like keymod but would work in plastic.

I'll add that Keymod, because of the back cut, will fit flush inside of a handguard.  MLock protrudes the fasteners into the open area of the handgurads so if you have a gas block, flash hidder or suppressor that just clears the inside of you handguard, you won't be able to mount MLock accessories in the same tight clearance areas when you will be able to with Keymod.

Wes
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Do we seriously need ANOTHER freaking thread on this?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the MLOK. I think it's better looking because it looks simpler.  I think the accessories available for both are about equal. What really got me into MLOK was seeing what Kinetic Development Group has done with QD MLOK attachments. I already have their Harris bipod adapter so I can quickly switch it to different firearms.  Waiting for their QD MLOK Scout light adapter to come out as well. Love being able to just slap that onto a weapon and be ready to go or quickly remove it by just pinching the two tabs and pulling it off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

KeyMod is open source.  BCM didn't invent it, nor do they claim to. MLock requires licensing agreements with Magpul.

Wes
View Quote

Mlok is open source AFAIK

Plus keymod looks like a bunch of little dicks lined up in a row...little dicks. Remember that next time you grip your forend.

Personally prefer MLOK because I have a lot of magpul stuff. The only keymod rail I had I didn't like the lockup.
Keymod does seem to have an edge on accessories overall though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone who has used both will tell you that keymod is a way more user friendly system.

For what you are mounting, both are plenty strong.

If you need something to mount in the exact same spot, keymod is superior.

If you need to take something off and put it on a different weapon, keymod FAR superior.

If inner clearance is an issue based on your barrel diameter and handguard diameter (important around areas like gasblocks, right where lights are really handy to have....) keymod is superior.

If you care about aesthetics, MLOK is superior.

If you care about clamping force that is high enough that 99% of accessories will be damaged to the point of being unusable before the mount fails for some unknown reason, I guess MLOK is superior?  Strength is great, but only if it has a tangible benefit.

ARFCOM is petty.  As much as every gloats about "function over form", you know damn well the main reason people here like MLOK more is because its a cleaner look.

Functionally, they are similar, but keymod is way more user friendly, period.  If you state otherwise, you are lying to yourself, or you haven't used keymod.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
M-lok because I had a MOE before and I do not see the appeal of having my rifle covered in little penis shapes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mlok for me. I went mlok because i like magpul accessories and i wanted direct attachment.

Plus kemod looks cheap
View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/558261/temp/Fasteners.png

View Quote
So, What you are saying is BCM took a tried and trued system that has been working excellently for several years and implemented into their handguards but you and others, for some reason don't like the looks of it. Hmmmm!

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I only have keymod.  Locks up great, I like the way it looks, light...it has been very nice
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
They both work fine.

I've found that Keymod is easier to attach (i.e. more plug-in-play).  MLOK accessories tend to be less expensive due to easier manufacture.  The biggest plus for MLOK is that Magpul is behind it (obviously).

As far as looks go, they both look OK to me.  For the guys saying "little dicks", well, I suppose they may be predisposed to seeing dicks everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Plus keymod looks like a bunch of little dicks lined up in a row...little dicks. Remember that next time you grip your forend.

Personally prefer MLOK because I have a lot of magpul stuff. The only keymod rail I had I didn't like the lockup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KeyMod is open source.  BCM didn't invent it, nor do they claim to. MLock requires licensing agreements with Magpul.

Wes

Mlok is licensed...they don't charge but magpul retains control of what you use it on:
https://www.magpul.com/mlok

As for the shape...looks like keymod to me but to each their own intrest I guess...

Wes
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Anyone who has used both will tell you that keymod is a way more user friendly system.

If you need to take something off and put it on a different weapon, keymod FAR superior.

If inner clearance is an issue based on your barrel diameter and handguard diameter (important around areas like gasblocks, right where lights are really handy to have....) keymod is superior.

If you care about clamping force that is high enough that 99% of accessories will be damaged to the point of being unusable before the mount fails for some unknown reason, I guess MLOK is superior?  Strength is great, but only if it has a tangible benefit.

ARFCOM is petty.  As much as every gloats about "function over form", you know damn well the main reason people here like MLOK more is because its a cleaner look.

Functionally, they are similar, but keymod is way more user friendly, period.  If you state otherwise, you are lying to yourself, or you haven't used keymod.

View Quote

I have mlok mounted directly near the gas block and clearance is no issue at all. Its close, but no closer than a gas block is to touching many handgards out there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm all about having a light of rifle as I can, yet with all the things on it that I want. For that reason I prefer Mloc
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
They both get the job done, however, I think Key Mod will be slowly phased out and replaced by MLOCK.
Companies like Noveske and Knights Armament are already starting to do this.
If holding without gloves or rail covers, the MLOCK is definitely more comfortable.
When I talked to Knights Armament at Shot Show last week, they said they feel that the MLOCK
has a superior mounting system over Key Mod.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Both my guns are key mod. I like the way it securely locks up and have no problem the way it looks. If I did I would have burl walnut furniture on my guns. There are more attachments available in key mod though all I use are a sling mount and bipod mount.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have mlok mounted directly near the gas block and clearance is no issue at all. Its close, but no closer than a gas block is to touching many handgards out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that.  Simply stated that large diameter barrels and small inner diameter rails may have issues.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They both get the job done, however, I think Key Mod will be slowly phased out and replaced by MLOCK.
If holding without gloves or rail covers, the MLOCK is definitely more comfortable.
When I talked to Knights Armament at Shot Show last week, they said they feel that the MLOCK
View Quote

Wasn't the guy that invented key mod working for KAC at the time?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Keymod came about between designs and discussions from John Noveske and VLTOR. It got the "Mod" monicker like many things that VLTOR makes, like a Modstock. BCM never had a hand in designing it. I think they make the best nuts for it, though.

As I am not a user of both (KeyMod on my Noveske,!everything else I own has proper rails), I can't answer the question asked by the OP
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not an issue at all with the newer QD M-Lok mounts like the ones KDG has released. QD isn't really something you can do with keymod either.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought he worked at BCM.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eric Kincel of Vltor created Keymod. Kincel now works directly for BCM at their R&D shop in Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not an issue at all with the newer QD M-Lok mounts like the ones KDG has released. QD isn't really something you can do with keymod either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I saw, those were bulky and expensive.  But a neat design none the less.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Im an MLOK nerd. Just looks smoother, simpler to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I've often been told I'm a dick, so the answer is obvious
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the return to zero POI change on those QD pieces?  How does that compare to a short rail section of keymod with and a LaRue QD mount?

Wes
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wes

A tiny peeter with one nut I guess..? Nah.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
M-Lock is a better system for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#33]
One benefit to keymod that is often overlooked is that there is the ability to return to zero. If you use a visible laser that is dialed into your rifle, keymod gives repetitive performance.

Keymod looks like keyholes. I don't understand the whole "dick" comment that only seems to exist on arfcom. I think MLOK is awesome but BCM has a good thing going with the KMR rails and I wan't to stick with that for a while.

I'm gonna hopefully get my 14.5" lightweight build together soon, and I think I'm gonna go with a Midwest industries MLOK on it. Unfortunately Magpul has stolen the wind from the keymod platform.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't want to mention this at first for fear of starting a shit storm, but I had a KMR and didn't like it. I had an IWC QD sling mount and it was forever coming loose, even when using thread locker. I don't know if something was out of spec or what, but it left a bad taste in my mouth none the less. I ended up selling the KMR and have been thinking about going with a M-Lok rail. I'd like the option of using some QD mounts for things like lights, bi-pods, vfg, ect without going with a full quad rail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't want to mention this at first for fear of starting a shit storm, but I had a KMR and didn't like it. I had an IWC QD sling mount and it was forever coming loose, even when using thread locker. I don't know if something was out of spec or what, but it left a bad taste in my mouth none the less. I ended up selling the KMR and have been thinking about going with a M-Lok rail. I'd like the option of using some QD mounts for things like lights, bi-pods, vfg, ect without going with a full quad rail.
View Quote

I have two of each and I like the feel of the M-Lok slightly better. However, the difference is not enough to make me switch out the Keymod for M-Lok handguards. I think Keymod still has the upper hand on availability of attachments, but that gap is fast closing. On my two new builds, one is going M-Lok and the other Keymod because the specific attachments I wanted for the rifle getting the Keymod only came in Keymod format.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I like both and own both.

However I do not like the original KMR that uses that magnesium alloy. For some reason I keep hearing more about keymod failure when speaking in regards to the original KMR. It may be because it's the most widespread KM handguard in use but I also have a lingering question if it is the alloy that was used.

Keymod is great for not having the nut and screw protruding beyond the inside diameter of the handguard as mentioned above. Great for extending the handguard over the suppressor. I also like how simple it is of not having to pre-turn the nuts to a certain depth before clamping down. I think keymod looks good on tubular handguards like the URX 4.

M-LOK is great for being dead nuts simple if you get the cam-nut depth right. It's strong as well and be used on a variety of materials. MLOK looks good on nearly everything imo.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
M-LOK for me, I have found that Keymod is all over the place depending on who is making the parts and accessories. With MAGPUL checking parts, it keeps things working correctly.

Ryan
View Quote

As someone that has access to the MLOK TDP I can tell you there has been a rail or two that have not met specs. This made me wonder how proactive magpul is in checking products in being MLOK compliant.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
M-LOK will be the winner.
View Quote

This, for many reasons.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I use M-lok. They feel better in my hand and I like the ease of mounting without needing to get to the back of the rail.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

However I do not like the original KMR that uses that magnesium alloy. For some reason I keep hearing more about keymod failure when speaking in regards to the original KMR. It may be because it's the most widespread KM handguard in use but I also have a lingering question if it is the alloy that was used.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If there was an inherent flaw in the metallurgical make up of the original KMR (which is still being sold) you would think that BCM would pull them off the market until they got things sorted out. I think the real issue is a lack of standardized tolerances between the manufacturers of the various Keymod accessories.

Quoted:
Quoted:
M-LOK for me, I have found that Keymod is all over the place depending on who is making the parts and accessories. With MAGPUL checking parts, it keeps things working correctly.

Ryan

As someone that has access to the MLOK TDP I can tell you there has been a rail or two that have not met specs. This made me wonder how proactive magpul is in checking products in being MLOK compliant.

Does magpul freely offer the TDP to manufacturers?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes but you need to sign a contract.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If there was an inherent flaw in the metallurgical make up of the original KMR (which is still being sold) you would think that BCM would pull them off the market until they got things sorted out. I think the real issue is a lack of standardized tolerances between the manufacturers of the various Keymod accessories.
View Quote

Good point.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I use M-lok. They feel better in my hand and I like the ease of mounting without needing to get to the back of the rail.
View Quote

The same is easily said about KeyMod.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In other words they don't want someone building shoddy M-Lok rails and/or accessories correct?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I think a few of you have a fascination with dicks and ball sacks.

Just yesterday I was talking to a few people and a comment was brought up that KM had sharp edges and caught on stuff. I have yet to have this issue. I have an MOE version handguard, and I have a KMR-A handguard. Both would get the job done, I'd go and get an M-Lok rifle as well, but I can't find one that I like the looks of and has a good bolt-up system.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Keymod - because...
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I never noticed the whole keymod =dicks thing, but then I don't go around looking for things that look like dicks either.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not into both systems yet but since this is ARFCOM the answer should be both.

My next rail system probably will be the Manticore Arms Transformer Rail for AR-15 which the keymod and M-Lok aluminum Transformer panels, it could even be mixed together.

Ref URL:

http://manticorearms.com/Transformer-Rail-for-AR-15-MA-14300.htm

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top