BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad everyone was ok! That's one of the worst i've seen.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Seeing that picture the name of the ammo rang a bell.

I was at the range in April or May and a guy near me was shooting a Gen 4 Glock 19. This was the result. He bought the ammo from Lucky Gunner. I got his e-mail and he told me they reimbursed him for the ammo, told him to send the gun to Glock to have it looked at (so they could say it was beyond repair) and bought him a new gun.

The culprit

Glad you are OK OP. That looked like it would have hurt a lot....

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lots of lightweight parts did you get to weigh it before hand.
View Quote

About 4.8 pounds
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Seeing that picture the name of the ammo rang a bell.

I was at the range in April or May and a guy near me was shooting a Gen 4 Glock 19. This was the result. He bought the ammo from Lucky Gunner. I got his e-mail and he told me they reimbursed him for the ammo, told him to send the gun to Glock to have it looked at (so they could say it was beyond repair) and bought him a new gun.

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/20140406_140421_zps992825bc.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/20140406_140429_zpsee32e2e1.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/20140406_140438_zps0ab11abd.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/20140406_140624_zps706efde8.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/20140406_140634_zps6b8c57cf.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/20140406_140901_zpscc265773.jpg

The culprit

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/20140406_140735_zps7b21e328.jpg

Glad you are OK OP. That looked like it would have hurt a lot....

View Quote

Wow, very similar. Thanks a lot.

It really didn't hurt. I was just very startled by the explosion and it took me about a minute to really figure out what happened and that I was Ok. I think that because of the very lightweight and brittle magnesium parts, the upper and lower absorbed all the energy blowing it into small very lightweight parts. If it was aluminum maybe the shrapnel would have been worse or maybe it would have held together better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Military Ballistic Industries Ammunition
Warning: To avoid serious injury or Death:Use only ammo not manufactured by us in good condition. Do not fire any of our ammo unless the entire firearm is encased in a bomb squad blast container.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#6]
any update????
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Good reason not to buy ammo sold in "zip lock" bags
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
any update????
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
****UPDATE*****

MBI sent a pre-paid label to ship back the remaining 500 rounds. They also contacted my FFL and the rifle parts should be sent to them this week. They asked for receipts and total cost of the rifle.

Will continue to post updates.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully they give you all your money back so that you can get your new rifle built
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I have seen 5 or 6 ar rifles blown up, all from reloads of one kind or another.

I have NEVER seen one go up like that.

That was pistol powder loaded into a rifle round or the round had the overcharged load compressed or some crazy thing like that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#12]
You had 3 stovepipes and then did a rapid fire? What?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, it was the first time firing it. I was testing it. A gun store assembled the upper for me. I've had handguns that I've gotten new and have had to "break them in". The rapid fire was when firing the second mag.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#14]
******Update*********

The ammo manufacturer responded satisfactorily and the situation has been resolved with all parties satisfied.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

******Update*********

The ammo manufacturer responded satisfactorily and the situation has been resolved with all parties satisfied.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Good god, I've never seen anything that bad.  Looks like ammo, only remanufactured ammo I run is Black Hills.  I guess you have one hell of a story and conversation piece!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats great. Glad to hear it.

I had a 1911 blow up from Houston Cartridge Company reloads. They were out of business I guess by the time it happened. I got into reloading so began on 45s, found the rest of them and pulled each and every one. There were some loads with abolutely no powder in them and one round had a double-ish charge.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the most monumentally overcharged ammo kaboom I've ever seen. Good lord all that damage.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dont understand the light weight deal now days. The damn ar already only weighs like 6 pounds. Lift some weights and run some carbine drills, you will get used to it. And some parts should never be substiuted for aluminum. Such as the castle nut or take down pins or forward assist. Eugene Stoner knew what he was doing when he created his masterpeice and he knew what it needed to run. Magnesium receivers does not sound appealing to me. 7075-T6 aluminum is VERY strong and it is still aluminum. I am sure this kaboom was contributed to the reman. ammo but I bet the Mag alloy receivers didnt help hold it together.
View Quote

This.

I have been noticing a lot of people using low mass carriers to try to achieve a lighter rifle.

They are completely missing the point.  Low mass carriers initially came about to reduce the reciprocating mass in 3-gun rifles for reducing recoil.  At a minimum they should be paired with an adjustable gas block, and a titanium firing pin is probably a good idea.

I don't understand the appeal of taking 'light weight' carbines to such extremes.  Below a certain point people are sacrificing durability and shooting characteristics.

To each his own....

I suspect the reman ammo is the source of your kaboom.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Another thought. When I reload, I check all my loads in a chamber gauge. Every once in a while, I'll get a round that will not chamber. For some reason the neck wasn't pushed back enough. I've had worse ones than what's in the picture below. I highly doubt these reloaded ammunition makers are checking every round. The round doesn't chamber, no bolt lock up, fires out of battery, no supported case head, boom!

http://area7precision.us/images/sb3.jpg
View Quote

The firing pin of an AR isn't long enough to reach the primer if the bolt hasn't rotated to the locked position.

Take a closer look at your cases that don't fit into your case gauge.  Often times in the reloading process, the rim of the cartridge will have a flange pressed into it on the withdraw stroke from the sizing die.  It will usually flake off with pressure from a thumbnail and then the cartridge will fit in your gauge.  A properly setup die should never fail to set all your shoulders to the proper dimension.  Although another possibility is a case that needs a healthy trim.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

a regular case failure shouldn't have done that much damage. that was a MASSIVE over pressure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm wondering if the case that blew, was annealed WAY too much and was really brittle.

Also OP, Did you buy their "New" or "remanufactured" ammo? Because those pictures look like virgin brass.

a regular case failure shouldn't have done that much damage. that was a MASSIVE over pressure.

I have had fatigued cases separate roughly at the midpoint of the cartridge with no ill effects.  The rear of the case is still obturated to the chamber walls.  I did have a failure to return to battery because the front half of the case didn't fully eject but it was no different than remedying any other failure.

Agree 100% that we are seeing massive over pressure.  It might have resulted from an unintentional duplex load if the manufacturer switched from one powder type to another and didn't have everything clean out.  Of course an energetic pistol powder loaded in place of a rifle powder is BAD news.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good reason not to buy ammo sold in "zip lock" bags
View Quote

Sad, but true... Especially from a damned gun show vendor in my experience. I know the OP didn't buy gun show ammo...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, it was the first time firing it. I was testing it. A gun store assembled the upper for me. I've had handguns that I've gotten new and have had to "break them in". The rapid fire was when firing the second mag.
View Quote

I understand wanting to test her out but... don't do so in the future with reloads unless they are from  "Black Hills Ammo Co."...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
******Update*********

View Quote

Did it take you sending them a link to this thread???
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is the most monumentally overcharged ammo kaboom I've ever seen. Good lord all that damage.
View Quote

I've seen much worse and where the OP was actually hurt... But yes, this one looks bad...
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top