Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2015 5:03:05 PM EDT
Is the current frenzy over the green tip because it is really that good, or is it because it is going to be banned?
I mostly do plinking and hogs
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Because people are stupid.

It's not all that good, it's not AP and it won't be banned.

The nice thing about it was it was cheap.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. Nothing special. I'll take m193 all day long. People are freaking out just because of the proposed ban.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The advantage to green tip is that it will penetrate mild steel at a longer range that something without a steel core.

It is no more accurate than other ammo and in fact is said to be less accurate than most others.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Saying steel core is misleading and well misinformation. It does not have a steel core, It has a steel tip. The ONLY thing good about it I can think of, is that it's low priced decent 62gr ammo. Now, not so much. I haven't ever really been a fan of it anyway, as I like 55gr M193 clones and heavier special loadings much more.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Typical Anti Gun Liberal BS!!!!!!!!  All the folks that are paying the inflated prices need to realize they are buying into this crap. Will it ever end???????              
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep. Nothing special. I'll take m193 all day long. People are freaking out just because of the proposed ban.
View Quote

100%.

Pertaining to groups, accuracy, quality, etc, M855 is just a tad bit better than a plinking round.

But it should not be banned.

Our freedoms aren't a poker chip on the table at OBarry's card game.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
nope
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The advantage to green tip is that it will penetrate mild steel at a longer range that something without a steel core.

It is no more accurate than other ammo and in fact is said to be less accurate than most others.
View Quote

M855a1 is better for penetration of mild steel.

M855, according to a friend with 10 years in SOCOM who deployed numerous times to remote locations, "Fucks people up."

PMC 62 grain is supposedly more accurate and any soft point will probably do better for HD.

It's optimal use is for 14.5" 1/7 twist barrels shooting at (as Col Jeff Cooper would say) varmints and vermin.  
He maintained that view from the inception of the 5.56 past 2001 but after the towers fell added that "Ironically that is the war we find ourselves in."
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

M855, according to a friend with 10 years in SOCOM who deployed numerous times to remote locations, "Fucks people up."

PMC 62 grain is supposedly more accurate and any soft point will probably do better for HD.

It's optimal use is for 14.5" 1/7 twist barrels shooting at (as Col Jeff Cooper would say) varmints and vermin.  
He maintained that view from the inception of the 5.56 past 2001 but after the towers fell added that "Ironically that is the war we find ourselves in."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be interested to know what distances he engaged people at.  The big criticism with M855 is that it has a short fragmentation threshold out of 14.5" barrels, and inconsistent fragmentation at any range due to it sometimes yawing later than it should.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'd be interested to know what distances he engaged people at.  The big criticism with M855 is that it has a short fragmentation threshold out of 14.5" barrels, and inconsistent fragmentation at any range due to it sometimes yawing later than it should.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it depends where the yaw cycle the projectile is when it hit.  this also applies to M193 and Mk262.  M855A1 and Mk318 are supposed to be yaw independent

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never asked.  Don't even know if he was the one who shot them.  I assume since he had a 10+", 14.5" and 18" uppers there were a number of variables.
 He also noted the 10+ barked enough it was worth putting suppressor on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I liked it because it was a heavier(then the common 55gr) easy to find round in 556 that was cheap and i still see it on shelves at about $10 mark up now. Then you have the idiots gouging but thats crazy to buy when you could get the 70gr+ stuff for what they want. I'm no expert but you can get rounds or calibers alot more devastating then 855. It just sounds like a bad round and non gun educated people do this crap.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sums it up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]
use the "rush" on M855 to distract and otherwise tie up the finances of people for the online auctions of XM193..

I just picked up some XM193 for under $0.32/rnd  (while every auction for M855 was over $0.60/rnd)
I even saw some auctions dangerously near $1.00/rnd.. THAT IS INSANE)

suckers...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Not only is it not that much better, it is that much worse...than alternatives like M193.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I personally never got great accuracy out of M855. I preferred it only because it's a 62grain pill. It WAS cheap though and that was always a plus for having a great day at the range. I personally only stock up on XM193 for my SHTF stash and other specialty hunting loads etc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I personally never got great accuracy out of M855. I preferred it only because it's a 62grain pill. It WAS cheap though and that was always a plus for having a great day at the range. I personally only stock up on XM193 for my SHTF stash and other specialty hunting loads etc.
View Quote

i always got better accuracy out of imported SS109 loads than US M855.  Australian, Dutch, Austrian, etc., all shot way better for me.  maybe their specs and quality control are tighter?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#18]
No.  I actually have about 5000 rounds of Lake City green tip, and don't ever shoot it.  It's just sitting in ammo cans.  I find myself buying, stashing, and shooting a lot more M193.  It's more accurate for me, feels toastier, and I can shoot steel with it all day.  I'm almost tempted to sell all my M855 now, but I figure I might as well keep it just incase it does get banned (I doubt it will), then it'll only go up in price.  Don't worry, if you have none, you aren't missing out on anything.  As long as we can still buy 5.56, and aren't just limited to .223, then we are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
use the "rush" on M855 to distract and otherwise tie up the finances of people for the online auctions of XM193..

I just picked up some XM193 for under $0.32/rnd  (while every auction for M855 was over $0.60/rnd)
I even saw some auctions dangerously near $1.00/rnd.. THAT IS INSANE)

suckers...
View Quote

bought 500 rds of xm193 last night for .33 per round. will probably pick up some more while everyone is focused on the 855. my 1/7 16" likes the 62 grain, but only takes a few rounds to re zero for the 55gr. all the other rifles are pretty much spot on, but the one slings the 55gr high/right about an inch at 50 yds when zeroed for 62gr.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is the current frenzy over the green tip because it is really that good, or is it because it is going to be banned?
View Quote

Probably going to be banned (hope not), but the best
thing about it was that it was cheap and available.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

it depends where the yaw cycle the projectile is when it hit.  this also applies to M193 and Mk262.  M855A1 and Mk318 are supposed to be yaw independent

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing that most people who debate which round is better seem to not get is that they are arguing over the margins, there are the rare instances that any 5.56 to the torso is not debilitating but in those instances its more about the person shot than what hit them.  

Most people are not aware that many of the Jihadis we shoot are one drugs and does not matter if it is Mk262, M318, M855, M80 it takes multiple hits and blood lose to stop them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#22]
my concern is that this is just one more step towards complete gun control.

look at how far we've come from being able to purchase military firearms and cannons (1776)

shall not be infringed...

we're being pretty damn infringed right now..
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Plenty of other, better alternatives to M855....Its all about money somewhere way higher up, and using threat of banning for some to make it
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#24]
The frenzy is being driven mostly by the ban. People always want what they are told they can't have. I'd bet many AR owners didn't
have much if any M855 on hand when this nonsense started.

I've got a 1/7, 16" that shoots really well with M855. I really like the setup and don't want to have to change it because the ammo has
been banned due to some arbitrary decision made by an alphabet soup agency. Sure, there are better rounds than M855, but the bottom
line is that's not really the point of all this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#25]
M855 isn't great ammo, but that doesn't matter.  
The antis want to ban it, the WORST thing we could do is say, "meh, go ahead it's crappy ammo."
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Looking at Molon's side by side comparisons of various M193 and M855 clones, M855 can be more accurate than M193. It depends on which flavor you are speaking of.

I have always liked IMI M855, as it's been a great general purpose round for me. It has proven to be quite capable on reduced silhouettes out to 500 yards, and I've even hit some small bowling pin shaped targets with it out to 500 yards (a bet between my mentor and I. It was some IPSC or IDPA steel target he had, I believe it was for pistol. He said I can't hit it at 500 with irons and my M4A1 clone (14.5" SOCOM barrel), and I hit it on the second shot with IMI M855). I'm not telling you this to brag, but to show that M855 can be an "accurate" round, depending on your definition of accurate.

While M193 is touted as being superior by some, especially on here, M855 has been shown to defeat barriers better than M193. So, it has its place in the world, and is far from "junk", as some call it.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The frenzy is being driven mostly by the ban. People always want what they are told they can't have. I'd bet many AR owners didn't
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had over 1500 of it, it was what I preferred to shoot..

Quoted:
The antis want to ban it, the WORST thing we could do is say, "meh, go ahead it's crappy ammo."

I agree completely.. (notice I didn't say go ahead and ban it)..

Quoted:While M193 is touted as being superior by some, especially on here, M855 has been shown to defeat barriers better than M193. So, it has its place in the world, and is far from "junk", as some call it.

at $0.60-$1.00/round.

it's JUNK..

especially when XM193 is selling right now for low to mid $0.30's (and at that price point there are MUCH better options)
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a case or two of M855, but found that it totally sucks from just about every aspect - more expensive than 55gr and less accurate- so I gave up on it.  The REAL suck is that I was planning on ordering a couple of cases of Wolf Gold 223 (which is the most accurate 'bulk' ammo on the market) at $279 on a Saturday - then the DAY before, the BATF announced their M855 intentions, and *poof*, the WG was price jumped to $325 or higher.  Pissed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Eh, I didn't mean to imply no one had any M855 on hand, just that those who shoot it would have probably obtained more had they known what was
coming. I think this caught a lot of people by surprise.

Last year, after the 7n6 fiasco, I began to believe all bets were off, especially with the proliferation of AR pistols and the whole Sig brace situation.
I took steps, but would have doubled down had I known. I really thought 54r would be next, but that goes to show you anything can happen.

BTW: I wanted to get in on the reasonably priced Wolf Gold but hesitated. Should have made it a priority.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#30]
no

just cheap
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]

I hope my neckbeard case sells soon so I can get more primers and supplies.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
at $0.60-$1.00/round.

it's JUNK..

especially when XM193 is selling right now for low to mid $0.30's (and at that price point there are MUCH better options)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:While M193 is touted as being superior by some, especially on here, M855 has been shown to defeat barriers better than M193. So, it has its place in the world, and is far from "junk", as some call it.

at $0.60-$1.00/round.

it's JUNK..

Whatever. It's not Junk. However, I'll agree it's not worth the current panic prices. I personally don't like paying more than $.40CPR for it, and that's only if it's IMI. LC/Federal stuff, I won't pay that much.

And, I'm still buying The ZQI SS109/M855 for $.33CPR before taxes. Where as the M193 is north of $.40CPR (Walmart).

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whatever. It's not Junk. However, I'll agree it's not worth the current panic prices. I personally don't like paying more than $.40CPR for it, and that's only if it's IMI. LC/Federal stuff, I won't pay that much.
And, I'm still buying The ZQI SS109/M855 for $.33CPR before taxes. Where as the M193 is north of $.40CPR (Walmart).

View Quote

IT IS JUNK when you're comparing it to other Match Ammo selling at $.75/ea..

and
buy your ammo online... I haven't paid $.40cpr for 5.56 in 3 years.. no matter what brand or configuration.

Quoted:
BTW: I wanted to get in on the reasonably priced Wolf Gold but hesitated. Should have made it a priority.
View Quote

you can buy PMC XTAC right now for $0.32/ea

it's better than Wolf Gold (which I've found to be a little under powered)
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't have much .223 at all, and had heard great things about Wolf Gold. My plinking ammo is usually PMC Bronze. I was going to try Wolf Gold as a less expensive alternative. Guess I'll have to wait this out and buy when the price/availability is right.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd like to see someone actually prove this.

M855  > M193 for general shooting purposes.

But most people will continue to regurgitate the BS that M193 is amazing when ti comes to terminal performance and accurracy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't have much .223 at all, and had heard great things about Wolf Gold. My plinking ammo is usually PMC Bronze. I was going to try Wolf Gold as a less expensive alternative. Guess I'll have to wait this out and buy when the price/availability is right.
View Quote

so $0.32 is too much?
where have you been getting it cheaper than that?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

But most people will continue to regurgitate the BS that M193 is amazing when ti comes to terminal performance and accurracy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its basic logic, with all other things being equal, the more complex bullet design is going to be more difficult to make consistently uniform unlike a regular lead core bullet. Is it possible that you can get really well made M855 projectiles and really crap 55gr FMJs? Sure but simply the chances of error with building the more complex bullet do not lend itself to making an accurate bullet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Its basic logic, with all other things being equal, the more complex bullet design is going to be more difficult to make consistently uniform unlike a regular lead core bullet. Is it possible that you can get really well made M855 projectiles and really crap 55gr FMJs? Sure but simply the chances of error with building the more complex bullet do not lend itself to making an accurate bullet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah so its just based on your "Logic" and not first hand experience actually shooting this stuff.....
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#39]
you can buy PMC XTAC right now for $0.32/ea

it's better than Wolf Gold (which I've found to be a little under powered)
View Quote

It's hotter, but definitely less accurate.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

so $0.32 is too much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so $0.32 is too much?

Too much? Not really, but AIM had WG for $299 before the Great Panic of 2015 started. $20, but whatever.
I think SGAmmo had it for $319? Like I said, I snoozed and I lost, but I really wanted to try Wolf Gold specifically.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, I have been asked if I am concerned about it... yes as a violation of all our rights, personally... I have plenty
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Too much? Not really, but AIM had WG for $299 before the Great Panic of 2015 started. $20, but whatever.
I think SGAmmo had it for $319? Like I said, I snoozed and I lost, but I really wanted to try Wolf Gold specifically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so $0.32 is too much?

SGAmmo had it at $279 per case, shipping was $16.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

In most ways it is not as good. Unless you need to penetrate an old Soviet steel helmet at 600 yards. At Self defence or plinking ranges it is not as good as m193 which fragment more reliably.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ah so its just based on your "Logic" and not first hand experience actually shooting this stuff.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need to be an ass or are you just that emotionally invested in M855? Considering your avatar you probably are. Or do you really think shoving a steel core into bullet is going to make it more accurate?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so $0.32 is too much?

WG was down to $275 + shipping before the BATF screwed the pooch for everybody.  WG is pretty much GONE from the market.  I bought a case of Armscor last week (55gr) for $300 - now it's $400.  It's even spreading to the crap ammo too - I bought a case of 62gr Wolf MC for $235 a week ago - now its $320.  I'll bet that a month from now, there won't be any 223 ammo available for under $1/rnd.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

yup...I bought a little over 4k live rounds and 3,000 projectiles for reloading as a result of this..the fact that its something Obama doesn't want me to have makes it all the better.

I had actually planned on picking some up later this year, but the proposed ban accelerated that timetable.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No need to be an ass or are you just that emotionally invested in M855? Considering your avatar you probably are. Or do you really think shoving a steel core into bullet is going to make it more accurate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just getting tired of all the BS get constantly repeated.

If I was allowed to have more than one entry, my target with factory loaded M855 would be in front of several people in the 1 MOA ALL DAY thread Here... I havent seen anyone have anywhere near that good of results with factory loaded M193.

I have reloaded machine pulled and resized SS109's and hit a ping pong ball 2/3 times at 200 yards with them... The miss only do to my horrid timing as it was swinging.

I have gel tested them, and I had to shoot M193 twice before I could get it to actually fragment.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My own personal observations has shown M193 to be superior to M855 in all but a few scenarios.

XM193 is more accurate for me from my experience.  It also exhibits near textbook fragmentation performance in all of the independent gel tests I have seen, and there are dozens online.  Even in gel at close range, XM855's fragmentation isn't as sudden (penetrates deeper into the block before fragging) or as dramatic as XM193.

XM193 will also penetrate steel better at close range due to it being ~ 150 fps faster at the muzzle.  XM193 can also be shot out of any of my 5.56 rifles, even the retro 1-12 barrel ones.

XM855 definitely penetrates mild steel better at longer ranges, and it penetrates some barriers slightly better (wood, cinder blocks, etc).

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Really in the end M855 serves a purpose as does M193.

Read all the posts here and you will see my problem with the ban.  M855 is considered cheap and plentiful.  Is probably close to the top of the list on most common sold 5.56.  Now with a simple "misintrepation" of the law it will not be available.  That leaves XM193 as the next 5.56 in line.  Enjoy that .30 + ammo right now because demand will raise that price point quickly.

Now consider that XM193 actually penetrates better, with nastier wound generation than M855 at slightly shorter ranges, you can see the same "misintrepation" occurring for it about 6 months from now.

It will happen one at time and the cost will just keep increasing.  I can hear it now.  Imported .223 is too dirty and is bad for the environment, so lets restrict all imported ammo that is bad for the environment.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

at $0.60-$1.00/round.

it's JUNK..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

at $0.60-$1.00/round.

it's JUNK..

I can't wait to see the folks scrambling to buy it at 0.60 a round when it doesn't get banned.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top