Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2015 1:45:43 PM EDT
Over the last 13 years I've gone through dozens of AR configurations, ping-ponged off AR308s, FALs, and bullpups, and have learned a lot about what works for me along the way.

This do-all AR15 configuration is where I've ended up.

- 14.5" BCM midlength upper with M16 BCG for soft recoil, good MV, and overall handiness;
- Standard AR triangle FSP for durability;
- BCM KMR9 for weight savings and KeyMod slots;
- Raptor ambi charging handle;
- Trijicon TA11D on a GDI mount with BDC that matches up well to the 75/77gr 5.56 loads I shoot;
- Offset Aimpoint Micro that is very quick to use, works from either shoulder, and avoids the height-over-bore issues of a top-mounted RMR;
- Magpul MBUS Pro rear flip-up sight compact enough to fit on the upper with both scopes (with a little modding);
- Geissele SSA trigger and BAD-ASS ambi safety;
- Norgon ambi mag catch;
- BCM Gunfighter stock for strength and to reduce weight (vs a SOPMOD, etc);
- Viking Tactics white light with P61-sized head and Malkoff drop-in LED;
- Surefire reflex can and FH mount to allow for a longer barrel while keeping the overall package compact.

I've toyed with lasers, but unless I get into NV I've found them to be basically useless. If I did go NV, I'd put a Class I DBAL-A3 or ATPIAL-C on the rifle.

The rifle is light, balances slightly to the rear (and right in front of the magwell with can attached) and everything just works really well together. I won't be drilling bugholes at 300 yards but I have no problem hitting COM on a man-sized target from 0-600 yards.

When the weather warms up around here I'll probably hit the rifle with some Aervoe, otherwise I'll just continue to shoot the hell out of it.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Well done.  I dig the reflex can
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful and highly functional stick, there, sir!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'd say that's pretty darned nice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice stick I would hit it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome ACOG.
View Quote

You know it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice.  All that & can still fix a bayonet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice stick. I've always liked the reflex can setup on a FSP rifle. Do you have a sling?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Solid carbine
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you have a sling?
View Quote

Yep, VTAC padded 2 point. It's just not on there for the photo.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I cant see pics

Now I can.... Nice!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I like that upper. 9" KMR with FSB.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
me gusta
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Just what exactly is "light"?  Pray tell.  Looks like 10 lbs with the can on.  But maybe not.  

It is pretty sweet though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't you hear? The KMR is only good for safe queens and if you look at it wrong it'll break!

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Didn't you hear? The KMR is only good for safe queens and if you look at it wrong it'll break!

View Quote

Once it spray it with Aervoe it will be impervious to everything...

With correctly-designed KeyMod accessories I have not run into any issues with either my Noveske NSR or BCM Gunfighter KeyMod handguards.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just what exactly is "light"?  Pray tell.  Looks like 10 lbs with the can on.  But maybe not.  

It is pretty sweet though.
View Quote

Just over 9.5 lbs with the can (no mag), which is definitely lighter than similar configs I've had in the past. In any event, it balances well and the KMR allows the weight to bias toward the rear.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice. Is that TA11 anodized FDE or cerakoted?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure it's anodized. The caps are a slightly different color of anodize.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I agree with this post! :)  I too have settled on the 14.5, although mine is a BCM carbine gas...your stick is squared away!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#24]
nice build .thanks for sharing .
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it looked anodized. Never saw a TA11 anodized fde though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#26]
The T-1 seems like extra weight.  Have you tried learning how to reflex shoot through the ACOG with both eyes open?  It takes a little practice to get used to it but it's doable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#27]
very nice
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The T-1 seems like extra weight.  Have you tried learning how to reflex shoot through the ACOG with both eyes open?  It takes a little practice to get used to it but it's doable.
View Quote

I may try that, but there is a definite offset at close ranges between the reticle and your POI. Rolling to the Micro is super fast and easy and I can still use it even if I'm not planted on the stock. Plus, it's a secondary optic that backs up the ACOG and does not obscure the irons if I pop the ACOG off the rifle for some reason (damage, lenses fogged due to condensation, etc) and that same reason affects both optics.

The Micro is just a couple of ounces and it brings a pretty decent set of capabilities to the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I think you'll be fine either way.  I'd try practicing using the ACOG as a RDS with close in stuff just to give it a whirl.  I resisted at first too but got better at it.  It's been a while, so I'm sure I've lost it.  Nice setup too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:51:05 AM EDT
[#30]
That's awesome man nice build .... But holy smokes you have a lot on that gun lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's awesome man nice build .... But holy smokes you have a lot on that gun lol
View Quote

Have you looked around this site...?

A lot is relative to what you want your rifle to do. Everything on this rifle has a purpose.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice set up O.P No ill intent with this question  but  how does a fully auto BCG soften recoil? Inertia from the slight weight gain?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice set up O.P No ill intent with this question  but  how does a fully auto BCG soften recoil? Inertia from the slight weight gain?
View Quote

It works together with the MLGS and the buffer to damp out recoil. Another benefit is that you avoid early unlocking of the bolt. Add in the Geissele trigger and the gun just runs as smooth as silk.

This rifle is much nicer to shoot than my 14.5" CLGS M4gery or my 12.5" SBR.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks real good.  I want to put together a 10.5'' with elcan and offset rds some day when I win the lottery.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks real good.  I want to put together a 10.5'' with elcan and offset rds some day when I win the lottery.
View Quote

I wish Elcan would upgrade their mounting system. I've had a few Specter DRs over the years and I always end up selling them for two reasons: the mounts suck, and the 1x is still eyebox-sensitive and not really like a true RDS.

This setup does sort of the same thing as a Specter DR, going from 3.5x to a true RDS-type 1x with the flick of the wrist. I believe this is why SOCOM puts a mini RDS on top of a 1x/4x scope: the 1x on the Specter DR is not as useful as 1x on a true RDS -- plus it's just faster to flick your eye to a separate scope vs flipping the DR lever to change magnification.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, at the end of the day...

Your rifle has a bunch of dicks on it.

Just kidding OP, nice very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP, at the end of the day...

Your rifle has a bunch of dicks on it.

Just kidding OP, nice very nice rifle.
View Quote

To be fair, I was polite enought to cover many of them up...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Slick, and I like that you didn't worry about the color matching game!
View Quote

^^^I was going to say the same thing.  So many "matchy matchy" rifles.  Yours looks great the way it is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I like it. What about that random round that is loaded too weak or too hot? I wonder what the T1's glass will look like after it gets smacked super hard. Have you given any thought to moving the offset RDS forward on the receiver?

Once again,  I really like the parts you put together.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I wish Elcan would upgrade their mounting system. I've had a few Specter DRs over the years and I always end up selling them for two reasons: the mounts suck, and the 1x is still eyebox-sensitive and not really like a true RDS.

This setup does sort of the same thing as a Specter DR, going from 3.5x to a true RDS-type 1x with the flick of the wrist. I believe this is why SOCOM puts a mini RDS on top of a 1x/4x scope: the 1x on the Specter DR is not as useful as 1x on a true RDS -- plus it's just faster to flick your eye to a separate scope vs flipping the DR lever to change magnification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice set up. I like the Acog /T1 set up.
Force Recon have some M4s set up like this.

this one belongs to a SF Soldier
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I like it. What about that random round that is loaded too weak or too hot? I wonder what the T1's glass will look like after it gets smacked super hard. Have you given any thought to moving the offset RDS forward on the receiver?

View Quote

If a round is loaded too hot it will either cycle the action very violently or cause a kaboom. Not much I can do about that... A weak round may or may not cycle the action; again, not much I can do. So far, everything I've shot (Prvi 75gr .223, Southwest Ammo 75gr 5.56, Southwest Ammo 77gr 5.56, SSA 77gr 5.56) has worked perfectly, even in the WI cold.

I have a setup with the Micro moved forward a bit but honestly it doesn't make all that much difference. I'll shoot the rifle with the Micro in its current position for now. If the Micro gets smacked hard enough to star or break the glass, I'll just have to replace it... And not do the thing that broke it again. Honestly though, after watching LAV try to destroy a T-1 I'm not all that concerned.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If a round is loaded too hot it will either cycle the action very violently or cause a kaboom. Not much I can do about that... A weak round may or may not cycle the action; again, not much I can do. So far, everything I've shot (Prvi 75gr .223, Southwest Ammo 75gr 5.56, Southwest Ammo 77gr 5.56, SSA 77gr 5.56) has worked perfectly, even in the WI cold.

I have a setup with the Micro moved forward a bit but honestly it doesn't make all that much difference. I'll shoot the rifle with the Micro in its current position for now. If the Micro gets smacked hard enough to star or break the glass, I'll just have to replace it... And not do the thing that broke it again. Honestly though, after watching LAV try to destroy a T-1 I'm not all that concerned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

advantage of moving it forward is it actually increases the eye box.RDSs have a cone shaped eye box, the further you are away from it the larger it gets. No advantage with a normal cheek weld,  comes in handy in unconventional shooting positions.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

advantage of moving it forward is it actually increases the eye box.RDSs have a cone shaped eye box, the further you are away from it the larger it gets. No advantage with a normal cheek weld,  comes in handy in unconventional shooting positions.
View Quote

Having the RDS farther out also makes it more sensitive to head position. You can lose the dot easier if your eye is farther away. This is especially true of the smaller "windowed" Micro vs something like a M4 or M4s. The extreme version of this is using a Micro on a pistol; you really have to practice guiding your eye to the dot at full arm extension.

If you're talking about shooting urban prone or off your back, etc, then I'm not sure I'd want the RDS too far down the rifle because you'll be off cheekweld and often completely off the rifle with your face.

Then again, there's always the possibility that I'm doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice stick OP. Purposeful.

That's how I like em.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It works together with the MLGS and the buffer to damp out recoil. Another benefit is that you avoid early unlocking of the bolt. Add in the Geissele trigger and the gun just runs as smooth as silk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually  approach  the recoil with a combo of a lighter buffer/ semi-auto  bcg and an adjustable  gas block.  But whatever works right? Definitely a weapon I would like to have in hand when shtf
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  I wish Elcan would upgrade their mounting system. I've had a few Specter DRs over the years and I always end up selling them for two reasons: the mounts suck, and the 1x is still eyebox-sensitive and not really like a true RDS.

View Quote

Sadly, even the Elcan is not a true 1.0000000X.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sadly, even the Elcan is not a true 1.0000000X.  
View Quote

Exactly. That's why you can't use the Elcan on 1x in some situations where only a 1x RDS will work (e.g. odd positions, rifle off cheek/off pocket, etc).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#48]
You always post the best rifles.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Having the RDS farther out also makes it more sensitive to head position. You can lose the dot easier if your eye is farther away. This is especially true of the smaller "windowed" Micro vs something like a M4 or M4s. The extreme version of this is using a Micro on a pistol; you really have to practice guiding your eye to the dot at full arm extension.

If you're talking about shooting urban prone or off your back, etc, then I'm not sure I'd want the RDS too far down the rifle because you'll be off cheekweld and often completely off the rifle with your face.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you're doing it right.  For unconventional shooting positions especially - and particularlly with a mini red dot like the Aimpoint Micro - to the rear is the most useful location.

I'm convinced that the propensity of red dots forward is due to monkey-see-monkey-do.  We see HSLD guys running 'em forward without considering that one good reason for that is that they use night vision goggles and/or they're using ACOGs, which have very short eye relief (necessitating mounting further forward).
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:01:27 AM EDT
[#50]
nice
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top