Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These are not my pictures, but these are identical to someone on another forum who bought a 762 industries BCG. Mine looked identical with the ridge/file bearing surfaces. Imagine that running back and down the upper after every shot.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w675/kult_la/Carrier%20Rail/Carrier-3_zps081973d8.jpg

View Quote
Mine looks just like this. The rest of the carrier is nicely machined, nothing like the OP's. And it wouldn't extract/eject correctly until I changed the extractor spring and added an insert. Guess I'll switch back to the Tier III Bushmaster BCG that the rifle came with.

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't it have less friction, due to a smaller bearing surface?

Files cut due to the shape of the ridges, I don't think cutter artifacts are profiled like that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
There on sale now for 289.95.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
When the machining looks this bad, I mean you can see the ugliness, it is obvious there is a lack of attention to detail.  I have a Bushmaster LR .308, and the BCG is smooth.  Cost me $1k and shoots great.  When you can actually see the machining inconsistencies, it makes me wonder what else might be wrong that you can't see.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had two of the Rainier Arms 308 NiBoron BCGs in my Mega MATEN.  I contacted Rainier Arms after the coating started to flake off the bolt on my first NiBoron BCG (100 rounds).  Rainier Arms stood behind their product and sent me a brand new replacement BCG.  I've put 100 rounds down range with the replacement and everything is holding up well.

In regards to the wear on the upper, I snapped the pic below.  To me, the wear appears normal with the BCG and upper breaking in.  I have similar wear on my other AR15s (phosphate BCGs), but I'll continue to monitor the MATEN.

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Those are my photos of a carrier I sent back . I agree with the OP the machining is sub par..  I have carriers from LMT, Knights and Armalite in various 308 guns and they are all smooth. Bearing surfaces are supposed to be smooth.  762 replaced my carrier, but it was still not up to what a  $329 part should be and I sent it back to Rainier.

Quoted:
These are not my pictures, but these are identical to someone on another forum who bought a 762 industries BCG. Mine looked identical with the ridge/file bearing surfaces. Imagine that running back and down the upper after every shot.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w675/kult_la/Carrier%20Rail/Carrier-3_zps081973d8.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

True but what is the actual depth of those "scratches", seriously compare the cost of a polished tightly finished part to one that is ruougher machined. Maybe Rainer spent more money on the quality of the steel instead of more time making sure the thing is polished to the nines. Or it could just be a dull tool, either way they aren't enough to worry about. OP, if it gives you problems call Rainer and give them hell
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus Christ on ice skates

Is thread really about machine marks on a bolt carrier?

If it is OP is a picky little girl

Yep.   But, but, but it might scratch the inside of a receiver.  :-)

That said, if I pay extra for NiB then it would bother me on bearing surfaces as it would negate the lubricity properties you are paying more for.

True but what is the actual depth of those "scratches", seriously compare the cost of a polished tightly finished part to one that is ruougher machined. Maybe Rainer spent more money on the quality of the steel instead of more time making sure the thing is polished to the nines. Or it could just be a dull tool, either way they aren't enough to worry about. OP, if it gives you problems call Rainer and give them hell

If you can hear it and it sounds like a file running through your upper then it is doing damage and that is not good.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Op, I'm going to do something I rarely do, and offer info on NiB from my regular account.

EXO NiB is almost like a clear coat. It shows every flaw in a BCG. The reason you don't see these flaws in a normal phosphate BCG is because phosphate is almost like paint. It covers up the majority of the flaws in the group you buy. All of your phosphate carriers look that rough under the paint. You just can't see it.

There's also only 2 different types of true NiB. There are 3 different types of NiB currently on the market. With a bit of Google, you'll figure out what's going on.
View Quote

I have phosphate coated BCG's that are very smooth and don't sound like files when charging them.  I have also seen NiB BCG's that look like mirrors and show no flaws.  Bearing surfaces should have a higher attention to detail than any other surface on the BCG and should never be rough.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I just received my Rainier Arms Match Grade .308 BCG from AIM Surplus today.  I would say much better than the original poster, TACP14, but all four "corners" of the BCG have the feeling of a zip tie when you run your nail across.  If these are the parts that have the most contact inside the receiver, I would definitely say that that would create more wear.   If not, then no big deal.

How do I post Flickr pics on this board?  I have 7 closeup shots.

(All I get is the ? in a blue box when I post a pic)

http://flic.kr/p/fJ5aui

Best regards,

MaxMax256

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just received my Rainier Arms Match Grade .308 BCG from AIM Surplus today.  I would say much better than the original poster, TACP14, but all four "corners" of the BCG have the feeling of a zip tie when you run your nail across.  If these are the parts that have the most contact inside the receiver, I would definitely say that that would create more wear.   If not, then no big deal.

How do I post Flickr pics on this board?  I have 7 closeup shots.

(All I get is the ? in a blue box when I post a pic)

http://flic.kr/p/fJ5aui

Best regards,

MaxMax256

View Quote

here is one of them, i had to right click on the image and copy the url that way then paste it in the img code.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, OP, or others that sent them back, what does the Mfg. or supplier have to say about all this, this is turning into a Soap Opera
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#13]
This is another thread to convince its not worth the hassle of wasting money on NiB coated bcgs.  If it goes bang every time and ejects every time, I don't see the advantage.

It doesn't have anything to do with accuracy...not to mention guns use LUBE.  You know so that its not metal on metal.  Maybe I like the caveman approach and using it as a tool, but I drop it in, load a mag in and it goes bang, I don't use a magnifying glass on my ARs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:11:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont understand why people are being so critical about the OP. You pay for something that is match grade, and you get something far less. So, you are getting screwed out of your money. Which is not something to be taken lightly these days.

Sure, I understand the mentality of if it works, who cares. But, when your building a rifle, lets says with Mega MaTen receivers, you spend alot of money on those receivers. A bcg like this, will grind down with every shot. And eventually, FAR SOONER THAN IT SHOULD, will grind down the receiver enough to where the BCG does not cycle properly, and will start having failure to feeds and ejects. The BCG is much harder than the aluminum, and will most likely NEVER give way. Sure its coated with nickel boron, but that does not solve the problem of the poor machining. Neither would phosphate in this case. Because the phosphate would wear off, and this same problem would occur.

So, again, I dont understand why people are giving those who are unsatisfied with their purchase such a hard time. They bought a "MATCH" grade part, and it is far from that. Especially the OPs with the horribly cut bolt. This poor machining will cause premature failures, and that should apparent.

Sure, an actual file is completely different than from the bearing surfaces on these BCGs, but they will BASICALLY do the same thing. Bearing surfaces are SUPPOSED to be smooth. Lubrication will not solve this problem, only slightly mitigate it, and actually cause the anodizing and ground aluminum to gather up in places it shouldnt. Which would potentially cause a different set of problems.

I think OP, you should send it back and get a replacement, and keep doing so until you are satisfied with the BCG YOU spent YOUR money on. And dont listen to others who chose to criticize you for wanting to get what YOU paid for. The machining swirls are nothing to be concerned with, but the bearing surfaces and the improperly cut bolt are FAR from match grade and should not be dealt with. Send it back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is another thread to convince its not worth the hassle of wasting money on NiB coated bcgs.  If it goes bang every time and ejects every time, I don't see the advantage.

It doesn't have anything to do with accuracy...not to mention guns use LUBE.  You know so that its not metal on metal.  Maybe I like the caveman approach and using it as a tool, but I drop it in, load a mag in and it goes bang, I don't use a magnifying glass on my ARs.
View Quote

NiB is not the issue here, this is about poor machining work.  When you pay good money for something you expect quality work and a higher standard.  I don't understand some of the posts on this thread that say "Oh just shoot it, if it clicks and goes bang you're good."  That is unacceptable.  Yes the AR is a tool, but I take care of my tools so they last.  I also do not understand some of the posts that say "If it's from Rainier you're good to go."  Blindly following a company just because they have a trusted name isn't the best course.  Rainier Arms is great but mistakes get made and things fall through the cracks.  No company is perfect.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the replies.

AIM Surplus told me I'm free to send the BCG back to them (at my own shipping cost), upon which time they'll refund me the purchase price less a 3% credit card fee.  However, if they get it back and find that the product is satisfactory and as advertised, the total refund could be less a 15% restocking fee.

So, potentially I'm out 18% of what I paid for a sub-par product.  Despite the "it's just a tool, just shoot it" comments, I completely disagree.  I'm not putting that BCG in my $650 receivers.

After talking to AIM, I called Rainier.  Rainier will ONLY exchange the product for another (potentially sub-par) NiB "Match Grade" BCG.

Again, not really happy with either entity right now....even though I have bought a significant amount of product from both vendors.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
That sucks they won't refund you 100%.  Hopefully they have enough sense to realize that it is in unacceptable condition when they see it and try not to stick you for an extra 15%.  My WMD Guns BCG will be delivered tomorrow and I will post an update on it's quality with pics as soon as I have time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That sucks they won't refund you 100%.  Hopefully they have enough sense to realize that it is in unacceptable condition when they see it and try not to stick you for an extra 15%.  My WMD Guns BCG will be delivered tomorrow and I will post an update on it's quality with pics as soon as I have time.
View Quote

I would tend to agree...If you pay for a highline product you should get just that, not a sub-par non match quality product.

Sorry, the machining work is not acceptable for such a expensive BCG...It would have never passed my QC dept, ever.

The Interior finish on your expensive upper will be worn within a few hundred rounds or less, sorry that's unacceptable.

It may even slow down the bolt velocity during cycling possibly causing a jam, etc.

You may be better off with a exchange since you will loose money and possibly wind-up with a better quality BCG than
you have now...If that does not work they go for the refund.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I would sure think they would at the very least send the best one they have on hand if you go for an exchange.

Keep us updated either way though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.

AIM Surplus told me I'm free to send the BCG back to them (at my own shipping cost), upon which time they'll refund me the purchase price less a 3% credit card fee.  However, if they get it back and find that the product is satisfactory and as advertised, the total refund could be less a 15% restocking fee.

So, potentially I'm out 18% of what I paid for a sub-par product.  Despite the "it's just a tool, just shoot it" comments, I completely disagree.  I'm not putting that BCG in my $650 receivers.

After talking to AIM, I called Rainier.  Rainier will ONLY exchange the product for another (potentially sub-par) NiB "Match Grade" BCG.

Again, not really happy with either entity right now....even though I have bought a significant amount of product from both vendors.  
View Quote

Cut your losses, return the bcg for a refund. None of these nameless NiB .308 bcg are quality machined, they likely come from the same source. I've inquired with Rainier about the source but they wouldn't reveal them. My guess is that no other retailer will either. It looks like something Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne/whatever they call themselves now would make.

If you're willing to drop a little more, get the JP. The quality is there. If you want decent one, a dpms bcg will work too, but when you factor the cost of JP vs everything else available its a drop in the bucket for a superior part.

If AIM can't see what a turd that bcg is and charges you a restocking fee then I would no longer do business with them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd return it. My main concern would be the bolt seeing how offest the lug cuts are. if the machine was off center on that, it must be on other features aswell. The carrier just looks like a dull tool. It looks like there are some sharp burs on the riding pionts of the carrier too. that cant be anything good. Go with a cmmg. I saw one at a local gs and it looked really clean.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok, OP, or others that sent them back, what does the Mfg. or supplier have to say about all this, this is turning into a Soap Opera
View Quote

The guy at Rainier that I sent mine back to said they were all that way, and they would stand behind it and any damage it does. But who is to say it stays that way 1 yrs from now when you find out it had ate up your $850 mega maten upper. I asked if people return these often due to this and he said yes.He agreed with my feelings and even mentioned he would not run it in his gun. Again, he was very nice about the situation, upfront and honest about it, but in the end it was what it was. I don't think it should have ever been mailed out/sold, since it was handled when they headspaced it to the barrel I bought from them. All the other surfaces I could care less, but the 4 sliding surfaces need to be smooth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#23]
***UPDATE***

I just received my WMD Guns BCG in the mail and I am very disappointed.  Apparently they get the BCG's from the same place as Rainier and 762 Industries because all the machine marks match perfectly.  Every little imperfection can be matched up as if it was run off by the same person on the same machine with the same tooling.  The WMD BCG just has a shine to it and that's the only difference.  Here are some pics...

As you can see the quality is on the same level with deep uneven cuts around the bolt lugs and file like grooves on the bearing surfaces.  There also appears to be a collection of either rust or some type of debris at the base of the gas key.  This is unacceptable especially since this BCG costs considerably more.  I will be contacting WMD Guns in the morning as soon as they open and will update you on the situation and how they choose to remedy it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess I'll chime in as well.  I bought a generic one of these things off Gunbroker in the first half of the year when 308 BCGs were impossible to find (for my Mega build).  The Ranier and WMD photos are identical to the one I received.  Thus, it is beyond apparent at this point that all of these places are sourcing these things from the same manufacturer.

That being said, is there anyone in the know (and I mean really no BS in the know) that can speak specifically to whether or not this "rougher" machining is anything to be concerned about and/or will be an issue down the road?  I only have about 20 rounds through my Mega build at the moment, using this BCG and verything seemed to work as expected.  But, if this is going to cause accelerated wear and tear, then I have no issue tossing it on the shelf as a SHTF last-ditch spare and picking up something smoother.  Just looking for feedback from pros who would know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#25]
With all this talk about bad machined Nickel Boron Coated BCG. It got worried about my BCG in my AR. I got a used BCG from a friend for my first build. It has no machine marks on it on the places that OP's did. The only place on mine is that dished out place on the side of the carrier that never touches the upper receiver. I would just send that thing back and get you BCG like the other folks on here mentioned to be better finished. The JP BCG sounds like a good one. But if it were me I would be dying to shoot that 308. Hope you get you a good BCG for that build and get to shooting. Let us know what you get. And how you like or not like it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Who determines what is "Match Grade" for these parts and components?  There are NO military specifications, Technical Standards, or drawings for 7.62mm National Match rifles besides the M1 and M14.

None for the M16 or M9, either.

Naive folk believing marketing drivel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#27]
"Match Grade" is what any advertiser says it is.
A wise man said, "Match Grade" is what wins Matches..
So, there's that too
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I got lucky and scored a Larue carrier with JP bolt. Well, as soon as the guy ships it from the EE. I think its going to be well worth the extreme investment. Larue will warranty the carrier if any issues arise from it, which I highly doubt they will. I would send these BCGs back and let them know they are selling garbage. I would get your money back, eat the fees for restocking, and get a different BCG. I have read the CMMG ones are pretty decent. And Core15 has them in stock, or did earlier this week. Havent checked since I made the commitment for the Larue. So, I would get that, and if you wanted it coated, just ship it to Fail Zero or something.

So far, from my own research, take that for what you will, Young is the only one to offer something "Match" grade. They do good machining, and on their National Match BCGs, they just make the bearing surfaces larger, what benefit this has, I have no clue. I searched everywhere for a Young 308 carrier, but they wont be making those again until early next year. Or so I was told by someone who is buddy buddy with Young himself. Which I believe him.

I would send these back, except the guy who got it on gunbroker. Your kinda SOL. But, shit happens, and we all make bad choices. I just hope the Larue BCG im getting is worth the investment.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought mine off gunbroker and it sat several months while I waited for my upper so I was unaware that there was any problem with the carrier. I spoke with the seller who said he was also the manufacturer. He's sold hundreds of these on GB so I believe that he does make them. This was at a time when there were nearly none available and I guess others contacted him and bought large as soon everybody had NB 308 BCGs in stock. He warrants them for a year.

I just got my Mega upper and sure enough when I tried it for fit it made a loud raspy sound. I agree that the machining should be better and that it shouldn't be on the buyer to fix the problem but my bolt is machined well so I was curious as to how much smoothing I could do to the bearing surfaces of the carrier. I used a dremel at low speed and some 3.5 micron diamond paste on a felt drum and was able to slick 80 to 90 percent of the 'zip' away. The surfaces are a lot slicker, and I didn't remove the NB coating. I'm convinced that I can use the carrier now and not damage my receiver and intend to.

I'm not recommending this, it's just what I did.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Mine looks just like this. The rest of the carrier is nicely machined, nothing like the OP's. And it wouldn't extract/eject correctly until I changed the extractor spring and added an insert. Guess I'll switch back to the Tier III Bushmaster BCG that the rifle came with..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine looks just like this. The rest of the carrier is nicely machined, nothing like the OP's. And it wouldn't extract/eject correctly until I changed the extractor spring and added an insert. Guess I'll switch back to the Tier III Bushmaster BCG that the rifle came with..

Or maybe not. I just put another 160 rounds through my Bushmaster MOE with the Rainer NiB BCG , for a total of just under 500 rounds (All 1975 dated FNM ball) with no noticeable wear in the receiver.
In summery: First 700 or so rounds through the rifle with the stock BCG, another 500 or so rounds using the Rainer Arms NiB BCG= no evident EXTRA wear in the receiver. (I don't see any wear actually) All ammo down range was surplus FNM with 200 rounds of AB Norma ball thrown in.

FWIW.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Just a heads up to everyone. I had returned my Rainier BCG and just yesterday got a replacement from another vendor. I bought one off of Gunbroker after calling the dealer and talking to them over the phone before I purchased. I don't have pics of it yet, but all 4 sliding/bearing surfaces are slick, like they should be. Its a NIB as well. I got it from Fox Valley Firearms. I talked to a very nice guy named Nate. $239.99
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm on the hunt again myself after returning the WMD Guns BCG.  I will give WMD credit for being very pleasent to deal with over the phone and quickly sending me a shipping label via e-mail so returning it was at no cost to me.  I also got a follow up e-mail soon after from very nice lady named Barbara saying that they are not the manufacturer of these BCG's and they are returning their batch of BCG's to the manufacturer becuase they have been getting complaints from customers requesting returns and she wanted to know if I could elaborate on the issues I had with mine.  All WMD does is coat the BCG with the NiB.  If you ask me the machining work should have been picked up on before they even coated these things but she said they will be getting a new batch from the same supplier that they use for their AR15 BCG's but she is not sure when.  She said she would update me when they arrive and send pictures so I will update if this happens.  So getting away from these tainted NiB BCG's I just want a plane jane phosphate one.  Is CMMG on par with DPMS with their BCG's?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Funny thing, Match grade is BS when it comes to bolt carries for AR series rifles. Most NIB coatings are bs...  If you want the real deal you need to do NP3 or Electroless nickel with a Teflon modifier but the part needs to be designed that way not just coated as they add material thickness that changes the tolerances. . Also there is a milspec on the Bolt carrier and bolt for 308 rifles...  It's the same carrier / bolts used by LMT and Knights. Those guns are issue to mil units in various countries and use the same parts  and lowers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#34]

(Pictures of my BCG on earlier responses in this thread)

I went and put 40 165 grain rounds down range on my new Rainier Arms NiB Match Grade BCG today in my new Bushmaster .308 MOE edition with a Black Hole Weaponry 16" Stainless barrel .  I performed an initial clean before I shot and then cleaned and lubed after every 5 shots.  I even shot 5 shots through a SDN-6 suppressor  (friend's that was with me.)  

Everything was flawless and 1" groupings on a harris bipod after I sited in. (about 10 shots)

I use M-Pro7 to clean and lube.  Looking inside the receiver.  No scrapes or gouges after 40 rounds on the BCG or inside the upper.

I am happy with the results of the BCG and the Bushy.  I will be keeping both.

Best regards,

MaxMax256

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Just an update on the quest for the perfect BCG.  I got my CMMG bolt delivered yesterday from Core15 and other than being black it's more of the same as far as bearing surfaces.  Are all the 308 BCG like this?  The rest is machined nicely but not the areas that matter most.  The bolt on this one actually falls forward and back in the carrier under its own weight which is not good.  I'm losing hope here  Maybe my expectations are too high but I will not give up on this.  I'm thinking of going JP Enterprises but they only have a low mass carrier.  I have a Slash heavy buffer and spring, will that work well with a low mass carrier?
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#36]
There is Shadow Ops Weaponry. They ahve a sale going on for their 308 carriers, but they may be getting them from the same people. Here you go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope... Armalite BCG's are nice, Knights and LMT , JP are great.  Just buy an Armalite and you will be fine if it head spaces correctly. They all use the same extension .

Quoted:
Just an update on the quest for the perfect BCG.  I got my CMMG bolt delivered yesterday from Core15 and other than being black it's more of the same as far as bearing surfaces.  Are all the 308 BCG like this?  The rest is machined nicely but not the areas that matter most.  The bolt on this one actually falls forward and back in the carrier under its own weight which is not good.  I'm losing hope here  Maybe my expectations are too high but I will not give up on this.  I'm thinking of going JP Enterprises but they only have a low mass carrier.  I have a Slash heavy buffer and spring, will that work well with a low mass carrier?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#38]
JP makes a full-mass -15 carrier.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks but I need one for .308
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you don't need a full mass carrier. The reciprocal weight is so significant anyway that it is destructive to optics on the gun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Then you don't need a full mass carrier. The reciprocal weight is so significant anyway that it is destructive to optics on the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I could run the JP Low Mass 308 BCG with my Slash heavy buffer/spring combo without issue with a standard non adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So I could run the JP Low Mass 308 BCG with my Slash heavy buffer/spring combo without issue with a standard non adjustable gas block?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.

Can't say for certain though. Even two identical rifles can need different port sizes to work correctly. Most barrels are so hugely overgassed they over-function.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Probably.

Can't say for certain though. Even two identical rifles can need different port sizes to work correctly. Most barrels are so hugely overgassed they over-function.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.

Thank you for the advice
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#44]
***UPDATE***

I have decided to hold onto the CMMG .308 BCG.  After inspecting it a bit more closely the machine work is much better than the others.  The marks on the bearing surfaces are barely visible and I can't really feel them like I could with the others and it doesn't sound like a zip tie.  As for the bolt moving freely under it's own weight, that was a result of no gas rings.  Yes that's right, the bolt came brand new with no gas rings installed  How this was overlooked by CMMG is beyond me.  I stripped the bolt and it headspaces tightly with a Clymer Go Gauge in my Rainier Select barrel.  I put on the gas rings from my 762 Industries bolt and it functions normally now.  I am going to get a hold of Core15 to see if they can send me new gas rings or provide a discount to cover the cost of new ones.  Hopefully they work with me on this, in the mean time she's all lubed up and ready for a range test!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I have done a lot of business with Rainier Arms over the last 4-5 years ( I maybe a 13er but I've lurked for years) and have been really happy with their service.  It does however seem since the gun ban scare customer service has been goin downhill with other companies as well.  Maybe the manufacturer of these BCG's was in a rush to get them to the market to catch the rush that they just didn't take the time to smooth and polish their product.  I wouldn't be happy with these BCG's either and I almost ordered one but rainier would not tell me who the manufacturer was so I backed out, glad I did now...
I'm thinking about going with the jp, does anyone have experience with the Harris Tactical 308 BCG's?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I had these same concerns when I got my Rainier .308 BCG. They told me if it caused any wear to the receiver they would make it right. I took that as they would replace my receiver, and BCG with another, better, machined product.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with the JP.

However, I have 200-300 rounds through my MATEN and no signs of wear at all. So far I am happy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had these same concerns when I got my Rainier .308 BCG. They told me if it caused any wear to the receiver they would make it right. I took that as they would replace my receiver, and BCG with another, better, machined product.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with the JP.

However, I have 200-300 rounds through my MATEN and no signs of wear at all. So far I am happy.
View Quote

For the record, I did function test my Mega with one of these BCGs and it ran fine for the 20 rounds I sent through it.  It also head spaced correctly with the Rainier Ultra Match barrel I have installed.  I really don't think these BCGs are going to be an issue and for the price, they are hard to beat.  That being said, I certainly understand the concerns.  Each to their own.  Oh, and my wife bought me a JP low-mass BCG for my b-day, so I'll be running that from here on out.  Just need to get back to the range to test it out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Well I contacted Core 15 about the CMMG .308 BCG I bought from them and they said they would send me a new set of gas rings for the bolt.  It seems that all is well in the universe
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think these are the same NiB bcg's sold by 7.62 industries and a few others. I did a LOT of searching on BCG's for my Maten build and I didn't like what I heard about these NiB BCG's that seemed to always be in stock everywhere. Rough machining and 'zipper' sounds when loaded into your brand new upper as rough edges and burs cut grooves into your receiver. I know, just a tool... but still... for over 300 bucks?

I spent extra and just bought the JP BCG, this thing is like silk in my upper and functions perfectly. I don't regret the purchase at all, I got mine from brownells.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/Diotosthenes/jpbcg2_zpsc08c47a7.jpg
View Quote

Would you happen to have a link to where on there site you got it? Which specific spring and buffer are yoy useing?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Would you happen to have a link to where on there site you got it? Which specific spring and buffer are yoy useing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think these are the same NiB bcg's sold by 7.62 industries and a few others. I did a LOT of searching on BCG's for my Maten build and I didn't like what I heard about these NiB BCG's that seemed to always be in stock everywhere. Rough machining and 'zipper' sounds when loaded into your brand new upper as rough edges and burs cut grooves into your receiver. I know, just a tool... but still... for over 300 bucks?

I spent extra and just bought the JP BCG, this thing is like silk in my upper and functions perfectly. I don't regret the purchase at all, I got mine from brownells.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/Diotosthenes/jpbcg2_zpsc08c47a7.jpg

I got mine from Brownells a couple of weeks ago.  Looks like they are now out of stock.  However, they are allowing back orders, so that's what I would do.  Take a number and get in line as quickly as possible, if you're sure you want one:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-parts/bolt-carriers/jpbc-4ba-low-mass-bolt-carrier-sku452000128-42981-91026.aspx?sku=452000128
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top