AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On the battery powered optics point. You can still use the optic if its off, just shoot like you would if there was a dot there. Its especially easy if you have a FSP like you do on most of the rifles I see you post. Plus with the 5+year battery life on Aimpoints, MRO, and PA micro dot I wouldn't worry about dead batteries too much. There's a reason red dots are so popular with military and LE.
View Quote

This. Also, many people change their optics batteries on a very conservative schedule to ensure it's always there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You should provide him with a sponsor build list so he can get started.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need a CWAR in your life.

This.

You should provide him with a sponsor build list so he can get started.

I'd have to sell a kid or two to participate.  You want one?  I'll give you a good deal.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
So what is your budget for an optic? Looking for an CQO, RCO, what? Glass with a variable power and illuminating? I think you can get what you're after with either a 1 to 4 or a 1 to six really.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks, I love this rifle. Its a super smooth shooter.

It weighs 9lbs loaded according to the POS luggage scale I have, with the scope/mount weighing 1.5lbs. I should probably grab a lighter mount since the first time I've used the QD on the mount was to weigh the scope just now. I just cant bring myself to drop $350 on a Geissele mount.... yet. If it wasn't for the deal I found in the EE, I probably wouldn't have a NF.

I have no idea if mine is CWAR, I havent checked that thread since I went with a 1-4 instead of a TA33.

A MK4 rail would be the tits, but the ALG rails are awesome and cheap. I cant really see myself buying anything besides ALG in the future. Unless you have one of the unicorn rails in my sig line, in which case would you like my right of left kidney as payment

On the battery powered optics point. You can still use the optic if its off, just shoot like you would if there was a dot there. Its especially easy if you have a FSP like you do on most of the rifles I see you post. Plus with the 5+year battery life on Aimpoints, MRO, and PA micro dot I wouldn't worry about dead batteries too much. There's a reason red dots are so popular with military and LE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that a LOT.  How much does that weigh in at?  I keep putting my 2-7 on and off of my recce.  It's in a larue mount and it adds 17 ounces.  I would be more happy if it didn't add so much weight.  Or if my barrel was not an HBAR.  When I first got that scope and mount, I didn't have the funds to buy a super expensive 1-4, but it's what I wanted.  Back then (like 10 years ago.  Actually more like 13) there weren't really any choices for lower budget 1-4's, unless it was specifically for a shotgun.  

But your's,  NOT CWAR?????  Or is it now?  I'm only on page 42 of the thread and don't have the latest and greatest.  I've had fun looking through it though Rajun Cajun.  

If I had the extra funds, I'd seriously think about the Mk4 rail.  And I've always wanted an ACOG.  I just don't like the idea of batteries.  What happens when you get into a few years.  How do you know it's not going to fail, right at the precise time you don't want it to.  I mean if it had a readout that said how much battery life was left on it, that'd be one thing.  But after about a year I'd always be like, should I change it out now?????   I almost bought a PA advance micro over Christmas, but then I bought a G26.  Not a CWOCK obviously.  Although I do want a G17 too.  Anyways...  I'm kind of glad I didn't buy the Advanced Micro.  Although I'm sure I would like shooting with it on, I don't think I can live with an optic with a battery for something that I want to work when I need it to work.

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5265_zpsdqdujqjk.jpg

Thanks, I love this rifle. Its a super smooth shooter.

It weighs 9lbs loaded according to the POS luggage scale I have, with the scope/mount weighing 1.5lbs. I should probably grab a lighter mount since the first time I've used the QD on the mount was to weigh the scope just now. I just cant bring myself to drop $350 on a Geissele mount.... yet. If it wasn't for the deal I found in the EE, I probably wouldn't have a NF.

I have no idea if mine is CWAR, I havent checked that thread since I went with a 1-4 instead of a TA33.

A MK4 rail would be the tits, but the ALG rails are awesome and cheap. I cant really see myself buying anything besides ALG in the future. Unless you have one of the unicorn rails in my sig line, in which case would you like my right of left kidney as payment

I could see a red dot working on that M4gery I have well.  Because of the FSP.  Plus I could just get a rear flip BUIS in case of failure.  Obiously that's how it's done over and over again and is a sound set up.  It would be nice to try one that way to see if it works.  I only know that I can't stand a red dot with a Fixed Rear BUIS and FSB.  4 things to look at.  OK then.  My brain just is not cool with that.  Actually you could say 5, the housing.  My brain just can't take all that white noise.  I know you're supposed to just keep both eyes open and focus on the target, but it's so much easier for my brain without all that extra garbage in the sight picture.  And it might be the same with an FSB in the way.  Plus it obscures your target.  I know irons aren't exactly a single plain sighting system, but I'm just used to them.  I've done a lot of iron shooting in my day.  Hunting and shooting.  Some scopes, but mostly irons.  

But I think I have my go to HD / SHTF gun figured out.  I need a light for it.  And I would love a TA-33.  I do have a Lasermax I'd put on the top rail and a TA-33 and then I could say I'm starting to look like CWAR gun toter.  I know, wrong rail, wrong trigger.  I have a RRA 2 stage though.    The barrel is right though.  WOA 16" mid.  Good shooter.  I might actually mount my Colt Carry Handle scope in a flat top mount for those days I want to go magnified.  Or throw the Leupy in the Larue on there.  

I would prefer an M4 telestock, but I have to get a friends AR tool to get a stubborn tube off of a lower.  Or just buy a Colt one.  Which is what I'd rather do.  But the CAR stock isn't bad either.  Especially with that rubber buttpad.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The solution is to have many AR's all built for slightly different roles. Each will be perfect for something.
View Quote

I'm the opposite.  I build multiple in a similar or same design so I know the feel of everyone intimately.  And, you often need a rifle that can do three or four things great in one outing.  I'm not bringing four rifles.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So what is your budget for an optic? Looking for an CQO, RCO, what? Glass with a variable power and illuminating? I think you can get what you're after with either a 1 to 4 or a 1 to six really.
View Quote

All my budget goes to ammo at this point.  I'd have to sell some of the stuff I got to get something new.  After I get back from vacation next week, I'm going to start selling stuff on the EE.  I got a basement full of crap that a few things might have some value.  I got some retro stuff, etc etc.  Anyways...  At this point, I don't really plan on getting anything.  Maybe Christmas.  I may be selling my M9 soon though.   But part of me wants a G17 badly.  I've got a few other guns I should sell too.  They never get shot.

I have two optics I can put on there now, they're just not ideal.  The 2 x 7 is OK for HD / SHTF, but it's heavier than I want.  And I'm trying to rig up a Colt Carry handle scope in a flat top mount, but that's more for the range than serious use.  

My ultimate optic would be a compact ACOG.  In theory.  Still not sure it's the best choice for room distances though.  And yeah, I do like the idea of a Mini RDS too.  I may have to try one  of those eventually.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm the opposite.  I build multiple in a similar or same design so I know the feel of everyone intimately.  And, you often need a rifle that can do three or four things great in one outing.  I'm not bringing four rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The solution is to have many AR's all built for slightly different roles. Each will be perfect for something.

That's what I responded to him earlier.  But longer winded because you said it a lot better than I did.  I agree with you though.  The only gun you got is the one in your hands.  It doesn't make any sense to me to say, hmmm...  I'd rather have that other AR right now.  Let me go get it.  As your Deer / rabbit / yote / bear / pit bull / mountain lion / prairie dog /bad guy / paper target / steel /  proceeds to do their thing.  Obviously some of them do more than others.    And some cases it might be easy to have a few with you in a truck or something.  But even hunting, you don't typically stay right at the truck, except for like prairie dog shooting.  So....  That's what I got to say about that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
My 2nd AR Build was a FN CHF 14.5" Mid-length Gas Barrel with a YHM Phantom Brake and 13" Midwest Industries Handguard.  With my Lucid HD7 RDS and its 2x magnifier screwed in I accidentally intentionally (for me) created the perfect rifle.  No recoil, no muzzle climb, no expensive optics, just a crossing of ley-lines that happened to produce a system that really, really works for me.  I painted it up using a hybrid wrapped rope and sponge technique and she never fails to give me wood.  Sometimes, we can get lucky.   Sell the M4 and Recce and put the proceeds to an ACOG for your 20" A2.  Just an idea.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My 2nd AR Build was a FN CHF 14.5" Mid-length Gas Barrel with a YHM Phantom Brake and 13" Midwest Industries Handguard.  With my Lucid HD7 RDS and its 2x magnifier screwed in I accidentally intentionally (for me) created the perfect rifle.  No recoil, no muzzle climb, no expensive optics, just a crossing of ley-lines that happened to produce a system that really, really works for me.  I painted it up using a hybrid wrapped rope and sponge technique and she never fails to give me wood.  Sometimes, we can get lucky.   Sell the M4 and Recce and put the proceeds to an ACOG for your 20" A2.  Just an idea.  Good luck!
View Quote

Pics????  

I swear when I fondle the A2 20", I feel like that's all I need. (And shooting only confirms that)  But it throws POI from one load to the next annoyingly far.  Kind of a deal breaker.  I should get a new barrel for it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I've changed a few things on mine over the years, but it's stayed pretty similar. Went from a 10" DD Lite rail to a 12", and a MK4 1.5-5x to a MK6 1-6x, and stock trigger to CMMG 2 stage, to Geisselle SSA_E. Standard low pro gas block to Syrac adjustable.
The 14.5" stainless barrel has stayed.
I think it works pretty well as a do it all carbine. Shoot up close relatively well with the scope on 1x, or throw it on 6x and add the bipod for the longer shots. Shoots good with match ammo, and decent with any other brass cased stuff I've shot through it.
I think this one is staying how it is, even though I keep eyeballing KAC URXIII rails… And a Dbal for when I finally get night vision….

You looked at the Vortex strike eagle 1-6x? Looks pretty decent for a good price. Not that the 2-7x you got is bad, but you may gain a little by having a 1x on the low end. I guess it depends on how often you shoot up close.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Hunting out west or across large fields aside, or match shooting aside (e.g. CMP etc), I think a civie has little to no need for an AR over 12.5" barrel. 10.2-12.5 makes it transport discrete and keeps the OAL and balance nice with a suppressor, which I consider basically an essential.  SHTF etc except for temporary and localized (e.g. Katrina) is still unlikely.  What you want then is something that is short, like, discrete, so it will actually be at hand when you need it.

I am probably going to sell my 16" match upper to where 12.5 is my "long range" upper.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've changed a few things on mine over the years, but it's stayed pretty similar. Went from a 10" DD Lite rail to a 12", and a MK4 1.5-5x to a MK6 1-6x, and stock trigger to CMMG 2 stage, to Geisselle SSA_E. Standard low pro gas block to Syrac adjustable.
The 14.5" stainless barrel has stayed.
I think it works pretty well as a do it all carbine. Shoot up close relatively well with the scope on 1x, or throw it on 6x and add the bipod for the longer shots. Shoots good with match ammo, and decent with any other brass cased stuff I've shot through it.
I think this one is staying how it is, even though I keep eyeballing KAC URXIII rails… And a Dbal for when I finally get night vision….

You looked at the Vortex strike eagle 1-6x? Looks pretty decent for a good price. Not that the 2-7x you got is bad, but you may gain a little by having a 1x on the low end. I guess it depends on how often you shoot up close.

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/butterscotchgent/media/IMG_2309_zps81bjgd6a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/butterscotchgent/IMG_2309_zps81bjgd6a.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very very cool.  I think those Vortex scopes are heavier than what I'd want to go.  But you're right about the 1x being a bit better for up close.  If only they'd make a 1-4 that weighed somewhere around 8 ounces in a mount.  That'd  be perfect.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#13]
With QD mounts, and the accessories you like...plus extra uppers, any AR can be "Just Right"

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top