Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2015 9:30:24 PM EDT
Going to try and build my first lower this weekend so just want to know how long it takes yall if all the parts are present.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only put together 6 and it usually takes me 1/2hr(I take my time). first one took me an hour because I took it really slow and had some trouble with the pivot pin detent and the bolt catch pin.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
10 minutes?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
10 min if all my tools are in front of me but I always forget something and am scrambling around looking for that one tool.  So around 30 min.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
No more than an hour.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
20 minutes on one last night
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool hopefully it goes smooth, my wife wants me to hurry up and finish mine. She wants one built too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's your first one, don't hurry through it.

Take your time and be careful with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 minutes?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Hour....
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#10]
10-15 minutes?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
15 minutes per piece that flies across the room.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
10-15 minutes
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Which parts tend to fly off the most?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I could probably build a lower in 10 minutes if I tried but I don't like to rush it. I enjoy the assembly and take my time making sure everything is done correctly. I usually spend about 25-30 minutes doing it this way.

Quoted:
Which parts tend to fly off the most?
View Quote

The detent and spring for the pivot pin has gone into orbit a few times on me until I had done a few and got the feel for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah definitely taking my time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#16]
depends on how big of a pain in the ass the bolt catch pin is being.  first one took me about 20 mins, but the last one i did took 45 because i kept dropping the bolt catch pin.  i hate those damn things.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Took me like six months one time. Just never got around to it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#18]
A large clear plastic bag is your friend,

when it comes to putting in parts powered by springs.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
10-15 minutes
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#20]
One hour if you add beer :)
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#21]
With all the tools on hand and a couple frosty brews, you can build a complete rifle in under 2 hours. That's not going as fast as possible either, medium pace and a beer for the lower and one for the upper. Then another victory beer upon completion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I have done thirty some and from the time I start getting out my tools to the time I am done putting them away I'd say about 15 minutes.  That includes taping up the side of the lower for bolt catch roll pin installation.  

I still remember I had all these great expectations of accomplishment and fulfillment when I did my first lower.  I went really slow on that one, right at 30-45 minutes and I read and re-read the directions every step of the way.  When I was done I could not help but feel sort of let down.  Is that all there is to it?  WTF was I so worried about?  Now I can do them half asleep but I would not recommend it.  When you start getting complacent, that's when you do something really stupid like not tape and then scratch the side of your lower or break off the ear of the trigger guard.

Ergo, I recommend, no alcohol while building your lower, no TV, no kids fighting in the background, and don't build it right before you have to leave for some appointment.  Take your time, screw how long others do it, pay attention to details, and take no short cuts.  You'll still be done within an hour and you won't be coming back here asking how you repair a broken ear on your trigger guard, or where can you buy another detent, or how do you get the roll pin out because you forgot to put in the bolt catch spring or buffer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have done thirty some and from the time I start getting out my tools to the time I am done putting them away I'd say about 15 minutes.  That includes taping up the side of the lower for bolt catch roll pin installation.  

I still remember I had all these great expectations of accomplishment and fulfillment when I did my first lower.  I went really slow on that one, right at 30-45 minutes and I read and re-read the directions every step of the way.  When I was done I could not help but feel sort of let down.  Is that all there is to it?  WTF was I so worried about?  Now I can do them half asleep but I would not recommend it.  When you start getting complacent, that's when you do something really stupid like not tape and then scratch the side of your lower or break off the ear of the trigger guard.

Ergo, I recommend, no alcohol while building your lower, no TV, no kids fighting in the background, and don't build it right before you have to leave for some appointment.  Take your time, screw how long others do it, pay attention to details, and take no short cuts.  You'll still be done within an hour and you won't be coming back here asking how you repair a broken ear on your trigger guard, or where can you buy another detent, or how do you get the roll pin out because you forgot to put in the bolt catch spring or buffer.
View Quote

Good advice right there!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Bownells has a get set of videos about this, they break it down to small steps and you can watch the video as you go.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#25]
It will take less time than you think and be easier than you fear. You'll get done and ask yourself two questions:
"Is that it?"
"What do I do now?"

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#26]
The first time took me about an hour, but I stopped to get tools or whatever a few times (like a deck of cards to support the bottom ear while putting in the trigger guard roll pin or some clp to lube the roll pin holes).

I also really struggle with the bolt release roll pin because I didn't have roll pin punches....I was just using straight pin punches.

Now it's about 15-20 minutes tops.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#27]
did one for a buddy last night. it took about half an hour because i was explaining everything to him. if im alone i can knock them out in 15min
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
15 minutes per piece that flies across the room.
View Quote

Aint that the truth

About 30-60 minutes, depending on how many times my wife and kids interrupt me
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Go to hardware store.  Get a clevis pin.  Slide through your front pivot pin holes.  Clock the holes in the clevis to allow for spring and detent installation.  Now clock the clevis to block spring and detent from shooting out.  Now butt the pivot pin up against the end of the clevis pin.  Push through.  You have installed the pivot pin without shooting the spring and detent across the room.  Lowes, Ace, Home Depot all have .250 clevis pins around me.

I have no idea on an exact time for building a lower because I never worried about it.  I think 30 minutes is a good fair amount of time though.  Important thing is you aren't racing anybody, be careful, do it right, don't damage parts.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The first time took me about an hour, but I stopped to get tools or whatever a few times (like a deck of cards to support the bottom ear while putting in the trigger guard roll pin or some clp to lube the roll pin holes).

I also really struggle with the bolt release roll pin because I didn't have roll pin punches....I was just using straight pin punches.

Now it's about 15-20 minutes tops.
View Quote

I use a pair of channel lock pliers for both the bolt release pin and the trigger guard pin. I find it a lot easier.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#31]
10 minutes each, sometimes faster.  I did 10 in an hour one morning.

/stayed at many Holiday Inns
//eaten at many Subways
///was a production assembler in a past life.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#32]
As has been ably posted, it takes very little time to assemble a lower (pistol or rifle) . This past weekend I walked my brother through the process as he assembled his own rifle lower. He did all the work, I just gave verbal guidance. We were done in about 45 minutes and test firing at his backyard range within the hour..

I printed off a picture of a lower parts kit that identified each item and then layed out the parts on a towel to match the pic. Did the same for a close-up of the hammer and trigger with spring attached for an easy reference while assembling.

MANY great youtube vids out there to watch as a backup. View a few and keep the one you like most up on the PC and follow along and pause it as you assemble the kit..

I use the channel lock pliers method to install the two roll pins - works great. Also use the 1/4" clevis pin and a small punch for the pivot pin detent install. Makes quick work of the fiddly task.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Going to try and build my first lower this weekend so just want to know how long it takes yall if all the parts are present.
View Quote

Where in Texas are you,

Also dont forget this important tool for your first build.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#34]
The front takedown detent pin and spring are a pain in the ass. Buy the tool and you will say 87 less cuss words.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I think I took 20 minutes last night because I did a couple extra things to the buffer tube to smooth it out prior to assembling.  The lower receiver already had it's own trigger guard so I did not install that.

I always start with the mag catch so I can put it on my magazine block.

Quoted:
The front takedown pivot detent, pin, and spring are a pain in the ass. Buy the tool and you will say 87 less cuss words.
View Quote
FIFY
Then I do the pivot pin.

Flip around and install bolt catch.

Install FCG and pistol grip.

Install take-down and RE.

Do about 10 reset checks, ensure the hammer won't fly on safe, and check while the hammer is up, that the safety cannot be moved onto safe.  Then I'm checking the selector to make sure it's positive in it's S/F movement.

Lastly, I'll put a PMAG, aluminum, and/or lancer to see how easily they drop free.  Some magazines are better than others in various lowers.  If the upper is finished, I'll throw an empty magazine in and ensure the bolt holds open on empty as well.  I did have a Noveske lower not hold open on 2 different bolt catches, so I had to modify the back of one of them so that it could travel fully.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#36]
My first one going back and forth looking at videos on what to do(and not to do) and different ways to do it(i had much better results using pliers for instance to get the roll pins in than I did the punch...as a matter of fact the only pin i butchered was the back near grip trigger guard pin it mushroomed on me..I used pliars for the rest and it worked great and all went in easy. just little stuff like that made me take more like 1.5 hours..now that ive done one..I think I could knock that down to 1/2 hour or less. Though I have no plans or $$ to have more than 1 AR. just no need or desire for more than 1 based on cost lol.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#37]
The build doesn't take more than 15 to 20 minutes, but finding the front takedown detent pin and spring after shooting them across the  shop will take you at least 30 minutes, unless you give up & go buy new parts. LOL
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Houston, whats the sharpie for?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Alot of good information, thank yall for the input.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Got the clevis pin
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#41]
The Sharpie is for the scratches you put on your first one. Put electrical tape on the left side of receiver when installing bolt catch and pin.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
The Sharpie is for the scratches you put on your first one. Put electrical tape on the left side of receiver when installing bolt catch and pin.

well if want some help im in houston as well, i have the tools and some experience building quite a few lowers. electrical tape help a whole lot when assembling.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

About an hour, with complications.  You tube is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Normaly about 15 / 20 min if everything goes good.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Appreciate that applesauce, can u im or email me your number and if i run into a complication ill text you..

And about the sharpie, i hope i dont have to use one..bought a roll of masking tape and have a bunch or electrical tape laying around the garage
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#46]
How long isn't as important as cleaning out all the nooks and cranny's, test fitting parts and checking for burr's.  After all of that PDQ.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#47]
About 3 hours. But most of that time is milling out the fire control pocket, and drilling the hammer, trigger, and selector holes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#48]
20 min maybe
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Good advice right there!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice right there!

YES! I agree good advice. Take your time. I have built more than a few and I still  get the instructions out. Doing it right is to me more important than doing it fast.  A large bag, tape, and roll pin punches are your friend. I spent around $5 for a tool to install the pivot pin. I have not lost any more springs or pins using it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#50]
you could easily assemble both lowers in an hour..

just take your time and make sure you install all pieces in the recommended order.

if I can give you any advice..

use blue tape over the end of a pair of pliers to install the bolt catch roll pin and the trigger guard roll pin.

take your time and dont fuck them up... (that's where most people screw things up)

taking those two pins out are MUCH tougher than installing them...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top