Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2014 9:08:41 PM EDT
As popular as the 6.8 is right now it seems really odd to me that you don't see more of them SBR'ed.  Just curious if there's a reason for that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I see one next to my bed.  Noveske 10.5" FTW
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you're looking in the wrong places. Check the 6.8 photo thread.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
barrel makers....alot of big companies jumped on the .300blk bandwagon after the Spec 1 chambers weren't up to snuff.  Now that Harrison over at ARP did a lot of the ground work to get it fixed, I am seeing more of them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine... With a 6.8 caliber M4-2000

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]
There are more but these are the most well known.
The 6.8 SPCII performs very well in a pistol or SBR.
They work well suppressed also.
For subsonic suppressed the 6.8 works, however if all I wanted was an SBR suppressed subsonic I would go .300 Black
For supersonic suppressed with the ability to have a second upper for longer range work with the same cartridge the 6.8 is a good choice.

Barrels:
Wilson Combat Match Grade Barrel, 6.8 SPC II, SBR Tactical, 11.3 inch, 1-11 Twist, Stainless
ArPerformance 12.5 inch 6.8 SPC II, Mid-gas, 5R 11.25 twist 4150 CMV melonite treated
Bison 8.5 inch 6.8 SPC II Pistol/SBR, 4 groove 1 in 7 twist
Bison 11.5 inch Recon 6.8 SPC II,  4 groove 1 in 7 twist
BWH 7.5 inch 6.8 SPC II , 3 groove polygonal rifling
BWH 9.5 inch 6.8 SPC II , 3 groove polygonal rifling
BWH 10.5 inch 6.8 SPC II , 3 groove polygonal rifling
BWH 12.5 inch  6.8 SPC II , 3 groove polygonal rifling
YHM 10.5 inch 6.8 SPC II , 6 groove 1 in 10 twist

SBR uppers and rifles:
LWRC
ARPerformance
Bison Armory
Wilson Combat
BHW
YHM

The only one company I recall that stopped making them was POF.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Waiting on my 11.5 barrel now. And waiting, waiting,......
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I was able to get a 12.5" 6.8 barrel last week from AR15 Performance. I will be building it on a Noveske Gen II set I SBR'd awhile back. Just need to pick an adjustable gas block since I will be using my suppressor sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one. So do does a buddy. And numbers are growing as awareness builds...

It will be harvesting deer this fall, suppressed with an AAC SDN6.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:06:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one. It will be harvesting deer this fall, suppressed with an AAC SDN6.
View Quote

Magnificent! What fore end is on it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#10]
While I understand the nitche of a non-suppressed sbr.  At the end of the day - longer barrels have better unsuppressed ballistics, and larger calibers allow for heavier bullets with better suppressed energy.  On top of that, if you are suppressing, you don't need or want excess case capacity.  (fwiw I am building a non-suppressed sbr, but in 458 socom.  I have long guns for long range.)

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]
That's an SLR handguard.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I need a tax stamp
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#13]
12.5"

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have one. So do does a buddy. And numbers are growing as awareness builds...

It will be harvesting deer this fall, suppressed with an AAC SDN6.

http://i.imgur.com/KvSyNWB.jpg
View Quote

That is a slick SBR.

Cue the iLikeItRoboCop.gif

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my 12.5" noveske
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an 11.5" in the works.  All I need is my barrel from MDWS to show up and I'll have it ready to go.  I'll post pictures when it's done.  The 6.8 is really an awesome cartridge in shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been trying to figure out what I want to make for my first sbr and I've been debating 6.8 and 300blk. I want to hunt deer with it and be able to shoot suppressed so I'm just here to learn from all you smart people
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been trying to figure out what I want to make for my first sbr and I've been debating 6.8 and 300blk. I want to hunt deer with it and be able to shoot suppressed so I'm just here to learn from all you smart people
View Quote

Either one will work, you will get more range out of the 6.8.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:20:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

While I understand the nitche of a non-suppressed sbr.  At the end of the day - longer barrels have better unsuppressed ballistics, and larger calibers allow for heavier bullets with better suppressed energy.  On top of that, if you are suppressing, you don't need or want excess case capacity.  (fwiw I am building a non-suppressed sbr, but in 458 socom.  I have long guns for long range.)  
View Quote
Suppression isn't always about being really quiet.  I want a suppressor to (mostly) save my ears if my rifle is used inside my house.  I'm not willing to give up good supersonic ballistics, but the suppressor takes the edge off.  While hunting I don't want to wear plugs, so again I trade some ballistics for some hearing protection and have a 12.5" 6.8 (waiting on the titanium can right now).  With the 12.5" ARP 6.8 barrel you can push an 85gr TSX around 2900fps.  That's faster than an M4 pushes M855, all while using a heavier bullet and shorter barrel.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Im planning on building one with an ARP 12.5 barrel, but I'm a little irritated at him atm. I talked to him a few months ago about the 12.5 barrels and he said he was putting my email on a notify list for when they came in, now i found out that he got a decently large batch in they all sold out and i never got any emails about them

Guess I'll be waiting ANOTHER 6 months before he gets in another batch of them and hope I can get one from that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#22]
There is 12.5 arp barrel on the ee right now for 220.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As popular as the 6.8 is right now it seems really odd to me that you don't see more of them SBR'ed.  Just curious if there's a reason for that.
View Quote

Because there's a better SBR option, A 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Yes if you like odities you cant buy local ammo for, have limited sources, lack luster industry support, that could be an option.
However a thinking man goes with a 6.8

Edit: But who am I to judge, people buy Kia's, Daewoo's and Yugo's
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]
You mean like a 12.5" suppressed 6.8 with an AAC SPR-M4 can?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:03:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Im planning on building one with an ARP 12.5 barrel, but I'm a little irritated at him atm. I talked to him a few months ago about the 12.5 barrels and he said he was putting my email on a notify list for when they came in, now i found out that he got a decently large batch in they all sold out and i never got any emails about them

Guess I'll be waiting ANOTHER 6 months before he gets in another batch of them and hope I can get one from that.
View Quote

Subscribe to his "just arrived" and you won't miss out
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I did that as well but I'm only receiving sporadic emails from the site for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm building one with an ARP 12.5" barrel now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I did that as well but I'm only receiving sporadic emails from the site for some reason.
View Quote

Check your im
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#31]
OP, 6.8s have always been popular for SBR setups. Harrison and the others had already worked out and manufactured the chambers correctly long before the Blackout ever hit the market.

Go to 68forums and you'll find that going back a very long time there were tons of them, and they were being used for hunting and pretty good ranges.

Add to that, a couple of years ago now Bison came out with the BSP, which has a fast twist to stabilize heavy  bullets, but the correct chamber and correct land / groove ratio to still fire the tactical loads. It will shoot subs or supers, suppressed or  not, with no adjustments of any kind between rounds, the same way the Blackout will. Just swap over from one bullet to the other.

The Blackout still has a tad advantage with subs due to the weight of the projectile they fire, being that you are velocity limited.

That said, the 6.8 will outperform the Blackout in any barrel length in supers by a huge margin, and, will outperform the 6.5 in the SBR role.

Just to stop the crap to come with that last statement. Harrison at ARP makes both, and has pushed them as far as anyone, and his challenge of any same length barrel, any ammo , and he'll beat it, has yet to be taken up by anyone. It's a run what you brung challenge.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted: and, will outperform the 6.5 in the SBR role.
View Quote

Uff da. These unsupported statements meant to be taken as gospel. But, hey, not gonna argue. Just want to learn where you're coming from.

Since it's a tech forum, please define what you mean by "outperform the 6.5 in the SBR role." Take as much space as you need.

No one here is interested in purse swinging, so I won't bother to respond but will just shut up and listen and learn.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a batch of 7.2" and 8.2" 6.8 barrels done and sold out in a week.  I have more 8.2" on order, those will sell out as soon as I get them In.  I have some 11.5's on order, those will be gone, too.  The 6.8 is a great SBR cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Uff da. These unsupported statements meant to be taken as gospel. But, hey, not gonna argue. Just want to learn where you're coming from.

Since it's a tech forum, please define what you mean by "outperform the 6.5 in the SBR role." Take as much space as you need.

No one here is interested in purse swinging, so I won't bother to respond but will just shut up and listen and learn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You first, Cory brought the G into this. You or he substantiate your claims, and, we've posted data many times.

Or, you know, you can prove us wrong real easily by taking up Harrison on his challenge. That should be a rather simple and easy task. Like I said, he builds both, he shoots both, and he sells both, and he's pushed them hard with some of the best barrels in the industry and without a doubt the best bolts in the industry, so he is fully aware of the capabilities of each caliber in all different barrel lengths.

I would think that you would understand that a man that plays both sides will not make a bet unless he knows for sure the outcome. If the G wins, he sells G barrels or his version, and if the 6.8 wins, he sells 6.8.

Now think about the above for a  minute.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I will bite on this one.
Defining an SBR as between 7.2 and 14.5 inches, since this is where you would need a tax stamp.
Since the 6.8 is available in as short as a 7.2 inch or 8.5 inch barrel that the 6.5G is not even offered in by anyone including AA.
The 6.8 will develop more speed and energy in barrel lengths from 7.2 inches to 12.5 inches than the 6.5G.
I cannot comment 100% on this thought however if the 6.5G worked in a 7.2 inch or 8.5 inch barrel would someone not surely be producing one?
I am sure AA wants every bit of market share they can get.

At 14.5 inches the 6.5G is what I have read is where the cartridge starts to perform.
12.5 inches and shorter does not take advantage of the burn rates of the slower powder of the 6.5G in the same way the faster powders used in the 6.8 do.

This is in direct relation to say a 20 inch barrel being where the point of diminishing returns is in a 6.8.
While in the 6.5G it is a 24 inch barrel.
The 6.5G works better in a longer barrel while the 6.8 works better in shorter ones.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

One for sale in EE right now FYI.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah I always wonder why none of the fanboys will step up to Harisons challenge
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Waiting on my 11.5 barrel now. And waiting, waiting,......
View Quote
And yes I'm still waiting.................

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Not my add, nor do I know the member. Just a heads up in case someone is in need:

EE SBR Upper
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

For basically the same reason that neither Harrison nor any of the 6.8 fanboys were willing to go for the alternative challenge I suggested.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The 6.5G works better in a longer barrel while the 6.8 works better in shorter ones.
View Quote

AFAIK, 6.5G has "worked" (i.e., functioned, fired, extracted, ejected, etc) just as well as 6.8 in all barrel lengths in which it's been tried.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For basically the same reason that neither Harrison nor any of the 6.8 fanboys were willing to go for the alternative challenge I suggested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the one limited to factory loadings ?

Why would we. In ours, you can go with factory or handloads.

The challenge is the 6.8 spec II vs the 6.5 G or .264LBC. It is about what each caliber is capable of, not what each factory loaded ammo is capable of.

And, btw, all spec II marked ammo is still loaded under safe levels for spec II chambers with the proper land / groove ratio barrels. They , being the tac loads, are loaded to be fired in a spc II chamber with the old 1/10 twist barrels, thus limiting the caliber. Hand loads actually help each caliber over factory.

Nice try though.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The challenge is the 6.8 spec II vs the 6.5 G or .264LBC. It is about what each caliber is capable of, not what each factory loaded ammo is capable of.

And, btw, all spec II marked ammo is still loaded under safe levels for spec II chambers with the proper land / groove ratio barrels. They , being the tac loads, are loaded to be fired in a spc II chamber with the old 1/10 twist barrels, thus limiting the caliber. Hand loads actually help each caliber over factory.

Nice try though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try though.

Oh quit being sensible  I've always been a fan of run what you brung guess some aren't
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oh, the one limited to factory loadings ? Why would we.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What, are you afraid that SPCII rifles with SPCII factory ammo won't outperform Grendel rifles with 6.5G/.264LBC factory ammo?

I don't know that your challenge would prove much, if it depends upon one special handload with one unique (and rather expensive) bullet to "prove" that 6.8 is the better round.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What, are you afraid that SPCII rifles with SPCII factory ammo won't outperform Grendel rifles with 6.5G/.264LBC factory ammo?

I don't know that your challenge would prove much, if it depends upon one special handload with one unique (and rather expensive) bullet to "prove" that 6.8 is the better round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression that most matches we're shot with handloads
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh my God. Please not again. The reason why many threads regarding either the 6.5 or 6.8 need the be deleted from the internet forever is because of this exact thing. There is a group out there that reminds me of my divorced (on the verge of becoming a former) buddy. No matter what the situation, the instant a mention of his ex wife comes up he feels the need to inject himself in the conversation and piss all over the place regarding her. I get tired of leaving places effectively soaked through with his type of verbal urine.

Own your decision without becoming like this guy or a campaigning politician. Here's a new rule maybe some in need of the "12 step no 6.5/6.8 negative comments program" should take to heart:

If you bought a 6.5, don't EVER comment on a 6.8 post.
If you bought a 6.8, don't EVER comment on a 6.5 post.

If a post thread starts with "6.5 vs 6.8", please feel free to engage in the as to herefore standard current practice of an estrogen fueled, purse swinging rage over who's lipstick color attracts more men at longer range.

For the rest of us we will now enjoy reading civil posts on either one caliber or the other. When we are bored someday in the far future and want to see what kind of Jerry Springer-esque arguments are going on out there we can by tuning into the nearest thread with "6.5 or 6.8?" in the title. Let's just hope the poor noob that asks that question and reads the replies isn't turned off from owning either of the calibers because he has the assumption that only hormonally unstable chicks like his ex girlfriend (that still shows up outside his window despite the restraining order) seem to own these two fine cartridges.

Support your specific community, don't so much as comment on the other and the sandbox stays fun. Own your choice, enjoy your choice and don't ever try to convert someone because it won't work. If they choose wrong in your mind, GREAT! More parts and ammo available for you to build the most amazing accomplishment of human engineering in your choice of caliber. Your secret is still safe. Be happy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stanc does this all the time, here and in the 6.8Forum.

He has no first hand knowledge of the things he speaks of thru shooting and just likes to stir the pot.
Kinda sad really.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Ok. Im going to step in here since no one can act like a fucking adult. Why don't you guys who like 6.x and 6.y fucking coexist? This isn't GD. This thread was set up because a person had a question, he did not want a pissing contest. Why do you guys have to act like little fucking 2 year olds and have to argue when someone asks about x or y cartridge? Everyone will have a opinion, so keep this thread on topic. STOP WITH THE BICKERING AND GET ALONG! We have bigger fish to fry and this in-fighting will get us NO WHERE. KEEP THIS ON TOPIC TO 6.8 SBR's! NOT WHICH IS CARTRIDGE IS BETTER.

also, DONT BITE THE BAIT!

/vent over

ETA PS: I do not endorse either cartridge as I go by ARFCOM tradition: Ill get both sooner or later.

I wish I could afford a SBR.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish you could, too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Go ahead and save up for 2, 1 is not enough.  It's BRD+ disease.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top