AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, and should come out shining.

SP

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maybe for the challenge?...LOL!...but seriously...I have no idea.  Gotta admit that performing in challenging conditions like rain, cold, snow, etc., test man and machine(gun) to the ultimate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also we need to figure out why the run-n-gun is always held in the rainy season of the desert. Perhaps May would be a better month.

Maybe for the challenge?...LOL!...but seriously...I have no idea.  Gotta admit that performing in challenging conditions like rain, cold, snow, etc., test man and machine(gun) to the ultimate.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Any competent -10 barrelsmith could remove the barrel extension and cut you a new barrel in your choice/design of profile, gas system length etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]

I just received an email that someone has the M&P 10 rifles on sale.  After reading the way S&W is treating you I would not buy one now.  Hope you can find a solution to finding a new barrel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Even if S&W didn't have the resources to fix it, they still  could have made things right by telling OP how to get it fixed instead of telling him to buy a new rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just received an email that someone has the M&P 10 rifles on sale.  After reading the way S&W is treating you I would not buy one now.  Hope you can find a solution to finding a new barrel.
View Quote

PSA has been selling them for $1000.  Grabagun sent an email this morning that they are offering them for the same price.

For $1000, I'll take my chances and bought one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell it as-is to someone who's looking to customize.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Off their website.... Call them and see if they can get you a barrel.

Where can I find S&W long gun parts & service?
For long guns manufactured in the early 1980's, please contact the following dealers for parts and service. Smith & Wesson discontinued these models and no longer has a parts inventory or offer repair service for these models.
Gun Parts
Williams Lane
W. Hurley, NY 12491
(845) 679-4867

LSG Manufacturing
10059 Hwy 1476
Comanche, TX 76442
(325) 885-2700
[email protected]
www.lsgmfg.com
View Quote

O/P, have you tried contacting these dealers?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't know how frequent, but this thread popped up today on another thread.  Even if the barrel fubars are owner caused, I guess it's the inability to get a new one that is unbelievable.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_551/252652_MandP_10_Barrel.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!    I've sorta been recommending the M&P 10 to some asking for an AR in 308.    Not any more.   This is horrible.    I wonder how many more split barrels have occurred?

Don't know how frequent, but this thread popped up today on another thread.  Even if the barrel fubars are owner caused, I guess it's the inability to get a new one that is unbelievable.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_551/252652_MandP_10_Barrel.html

How could this be an ammunition issue? I saw someone mention that but We need to know if it was the same ammo used in these instances of barrel damage.

What are the odds that some specific manufacturer has defective ammo out there & it just happened to be used in M&P10's & it does the same thing? I bet that number would be astronomically improbable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For long guns manufactured in the early 1980's, please contact the following dealers for parts and service. Smith & Wesson discontinued these models and no longer has a parts inventory or offer repair service for these models.
Gun Parts
Williams Lane
W. Hurley, NY 12491
(845) 679-4867

LSG Manufacturing
10059 Hwy 1476
Comanche, TX 76442
(325) 885-2700
[email protected]
www.lsgmfg.com

Does no one read? That specifically says "for long guns manufactured in the early 1980s". That is talking about part for the Howa manufactured bolt action rifles S&W sold under their name back in the 70s/80s. Not the M&P10.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sell it as-is to someone who's looking to customize.
View Quote

Yeah, I'll give you $400 for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also we need to figure out why the run-n-gun is always held in the rainy season of the desert. Perhaps May would be a better month.
View Quote

Haha... I have talked to Smokey about it, and that is just the time of the year that works best for him.  I don't argue too much, because I run this type of event too, and it is WORK!  Anyway, there is no way we will ever see another flood like this last one... the dam on the Pecos was built in 1928, and it had never even come close to getting overflowed before, like it did this year.  

I think the Pecos Run 'n Gun is by far the coolest shooting event you can do anywhere.  We put on a pretty good Run 'n Gun up here in Oklahoma: www.okrunngun.com but there is no substitute for being out there in the desert, and hanging out with all the guys who come to an event like that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Does no one read? That specifically says "for long guns manufactured in the early 1980s". That is talking about part for the Howa manufactured bolt action rifles S&W sold under their name back in the 70s/80s. Not the M&P10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gun Parts
Williams Lane
W. Hurley, NY 12491
(845) 679-4867

LSG Manufacturing
10059 Hwy 1476
Comanche, TX 76442
(325) 885-2700
[email protected]
www.lsgmfg.com

I understand, but if these dealers have a relationship with S&W, it might be worth a call.

At this point, if I were the OP, I would leave no stoned unturned in my quest for a barrel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

PSA has been selling them for $1000.  Grabagun sent an email this morning that they are offering them for the same price.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for that. Think I might get another myself
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Either of y'all want a spare BCG, gas tube, charging handle, or upper/lower receivers, for when something breaks and S&W won't sell you a spare?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
BamaInARK, I am very thankful for your post as I am very much considering the purchase of an AR in .308/7.62 x51. The MP10 was one of three that are in my budget. The other two are by DPMS. The new GEN II's are now front runners. I feel the mid length gas system 16" RECON is my front runner. I am also interested in the AP4 and their MOE, both are 7.62 x51 rifles, but, use a carbine length gas system which I feel would not be very healthy for a .308. At least I know for sure I will not be buying a MP10. Darn, I might just forget about the weight savings and buy an Armalite? Well have to see what comes out at the 2015 Shot Show. Anyone with knowledge of the new DPMS GEN II's ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

SP
View All Quotes
Quoted:

SP

Quoted:

Quoted:

The heat is a harder foe. I don't know why you guys think running in cool air or cool water is challenging.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, the most brutal Run 'n Guns I have done were shorter ones, but in humid high 90s or 100+ degree weather, and partly through heavy brush and woods with no air moving around.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
It's probably of little consolation to you, but I wanted to let you know that I just reached out to Smith & Wesson in order to express my concern for your situation.

As a fellow M&P10 owner, I would like the comfort to know that if something ever happens to my barrel that I will have the ability to purchase a replacement.

There should be no legal reason that would preclude them from offering replacement barrels for sale to their customers.  I realize that the M&P10 is a rather new product offering, and it could be a supply issue.  If they came back and stipulated that barrels will be offered for sale in the near future, I could live with that.  But if they have no plans to offer replacement barrels for sale, then I would consider that a problem.

Again, I don't expect this to give you any comfort, but if enough guys express their concern to S&W, perhaps they will reconsider their position.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Either of y'all want a spare BCG, gas tube, charging handle, or upper/lower receivers, for when something breaks and S&W won't sell you a spare?
View Quote

Did you contact the Quality Manager?

They have repair parts for prodution fallout.  You need to talk to the right person.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's probably of little consolation to you, but I wanted to let you know that I just reached out to Smith & Wesson in order to express my concern for your situation.

As a fellow M&P10 owner, I would like the comfort to know that if something ever happens to my barrel that I will have the ability to purchase a replacement.

There should be no legal reason that would preclude them from offering replacement barrels for sale to their customers.  I realize that the M&P10 is a rather new product offering, and it could be a supply issue.  If they came back and stipulated that barrels will be offered for sale in the near future, I could live with that.  But if they have no plans to offer replacement barrels for sale, then I would consider that a problem.

Again, I don't expect this to give you any comfort, but if enough guys express their concern to S&W, perhaps they will reconsider their position.
View Quote

Thank you for trying to help.  Maybe if enough people express concern about this policy, it will motivate them to try to have better customer and product support.

QCMGR, no,  I didn't contact their QC mgr... I really don't know anything about the structure of this kind of company, and assumed that the statements of a senior engineer who is telling me what management is directly telling him about policy would be pretty authoritative, and that this is their "final answer" regarding their repair and parts sales policies.  Maybe I shouldn't have stopped there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you for trying to help.  Maybe if enough people express concern about this policy, it will motivate them to try to have better customer and product support.

QCMGR, no,  I didn't contact their QC mgr... I really don't know anything about the structure of this kind of company, and assumed that the statements of a senior engineer who is telling me what management is directly telling him about policy would be pretty authoritative, and that this is their "final answer" regarding their repair and parts sales policies.  Maybe I shouldn't have stopped there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why I am telling you that you are talking to the wrong guy.   Be persistent.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been kicking around whether to build a 308 ar or buy and modify one. Regardless, I won't be buying a M&P 10. I had a similar, yet not nearly as costly, experience with Midwest Industries and it made me so freakin mad. I love there stuff just like S&W has great stuff, but if they won't back up their merchandise (and their reputation) then I don't want anything to do with them, I hope they see this post and realize that messing with one little gun owner is messing with them all.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I also contacted Smith with a link to this thread. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Another "split barrel"?? Or one of the same posters posting on another forum?
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p10-rifles/412311-m-p10-barrel-swap.html
View Quote

Hmmmm, this thread is now gone from the S&W forum.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another "split barrel"?? Or one of the same posters posting on another forum?
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p10-rifles/412311-m-p10-barrel-swap.html

If that's real, that really shows something more than poor parts availability and service quality.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had a similar, yet not nearly as costly, experience with Midwest Industries and it made me so freakin mad. I love there stuff just like S&W has great stuff, but if they won't back up their merchandise (and their reputation) then I don't want anything to do with them, I hope they see this post and realize that messing with one little gun owner is messing with them all.
View Quote

What MI product did you have a problem with and what was your experience with them? I have a couple of their rails and am considering buying another. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Doesn't "M&P" stand for "Military and Police"?  Meaning these are supposed to be durable, tier one tactical non-safe queen rifles?  If they can't survive a muddy course, they don't seem very good.  Are there other instances of barrels splitting because they got muddy in the field, regardless of manufacturer?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I was debating between the M&P10 and the GII. Not debating anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

There would be no question in my mind.  I bought this M&P right before the "short receiver" .308s like the GII hit the market.  If I were to make the same purchase today, I'd be going with the G2 AP4 all day and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There would be no question in my mind.  I bought this M&P right before the "short receiver" .308s like the GII hit the market.  If I were to make the same purchase today, I'd be going with the G2 AP4 all day and twice on Sunday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went as far as to go shopping at my LGS for a M&P10 just a day before this thread.
I too am now pondering a GII but damn I once got a real lemon from DPMS. 4 trips back to them (me driving it) to get it fixed and I swore them off forever.

ETA: Just read in the DPMS thread that they too do not offer GII bolts/barrels for sale...yet.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#32]
OP:  "buy a firearm with a proprietary design, because you are stuck relying on just one company for replacement parts"

This weighed heavily in my decision not to buy the M&P10.  Sorry to hear this OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Hmm...*scratches M&P10 off wish list*.

Bad form S&W, bad form.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I see that the thread on this subject on TOS got killed off overnite.  Anyone know if things got a little heated over there???
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Wondering what would happen if the OP attempted to contact S&W again for an updated Customer Service response?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd keep calling S&W until they gave some satisfaction.

Might be a good idea to post some pictures of the rifle too. Specifically high resolution pictures of the split barrel, ring in the rifling, and gas block area.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been sort of toying with buying another 308. S&W was in the running.

I sent an email to their Customer Support off the website and asked them about their policies and referenced this story. I'll post their reply if I get one. I said I could not buy their product if this is their policy.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Have you ever heard that its dangerous to buy a firearm with a proprietary design, because you are stuck relying on just one company for replacement parts? I'm here to tell you that is a very valid concern, particularly with Smith & Wesson products.
View Quote

A buddy brought one of his S&W AR 22 pistols over to my house to shoot. I popped the upper off to see how it would fit on my pistol lower. It wouldn't even connect. What a crock! That type of deliberate, non-modular, proprietary design makes it an absolutely worthless AR in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Absolutely shitty. I've heard bad things about Smith before but thus takes the cake.

Please, in the future, remember that the proper way to traverse a low obstacle with a weapon is on your back with the rifle on your chest. Good luck getting your paperweight back the right way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A buddy brought one of his S&W AR 22 pistols over to my house to shoot. I popped the upper off to see how it would fit on my pistol lower. It wouldn't even connect. What a crock! That type of deliberate, non-modular, proprietary design makes it an absolutely worthless AR in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Have you ever heard that its dangerous to buy a firearm with a proprietary design, because you are stuck relying on just one company for replacement parts? I'm here to tell you that is a very valid concern, particularly with Smith & Wesson products.

They were designed this way just so they WOULD NOT fit regular AR receivers.   If you want an AR designed receiver for use with .22 LR there are plenty of options.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]
4 pages in and still no photos of the split barrel?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
4 pages in and still no photos of the split barrel?
View Quote

I am tempted to call b.s.  If you contact the right person... It will get fixed...yet the op "gave up".
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#44]
People in decision making/managerial positions were probably at SHOT the last week and a half while this was going on.  Calling them again today would be pointless.  Maybe next week sometime.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hmm...*scratches M&P10 off wish list*.

Bad form S&W, bad form.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#46]
This is just my theory.  The OP said he drained the water and mud out of the barrel. Perhaps there was still some residual in the barrel that was forced ahead of the bullet which effectively caused an obstruction when it could go no further, hence the split.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is just my theory.  The OP said he drained the water and mud out of the barrel. Perhaps there was still some residual in the barrel that was forced ahead of the bullet which effectively caused an obstruction when it could go no further, hence the split.  Thoughts?
View Quote

I was thinking this until the other burst barrels started popping up, either way he should AT LEAST BE ABLE TO BUY A BARREL!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#48]
S&W has stated repeatedly they are a manufacturer not a retailer. How many manufacturers put out parts right after a proprietary design is released? Pistols come to mind because almost every new design pistol is proprietary. Maybe there are some manufacturers that put parts out on the market in a year or two but I would be willing to bet there are a lot of well known manufacturers that don't. Think about it before you jump on the pile on.

After the pressure of the explosion, the BCG would be suspect to me. He can buy a DPMS pattern barrel, BCG and gas tube and I'm fairly sure they will work on the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#49]
sad that S&W wants to ruin any credibility they may have concerning this rifle. Proprietary parts and then NOT letting people purchase those
parts is a loser for me. Colt 901 and now S&W?? why in the world would you buy one? I sure would not. I sold my Colt 901 because of this
and all the issues people had with that fiasco. While yours may work fine now good for you, but just like the OP what happens when you need
parts?? I am a spare parts whore for that reason. Things fail, then what..........
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
S&W has stated repeatedly they are a manufacturer not a retailer. How many manufacturers put out parts right after a proprietary design is released? Pistols come to mind because almost every new design pistol is proprietary. Maybe there are some manufacturers that put parts out on the market in a year or two but I would be willing to bet there are a lot of well known manufacturers that don't. Think about it before you jump on the pile on.

After the pressure of the explosion, the BCG would be suspect to me. He can buy a DPMS pattern barrel, BCG and gas tube and I'm fairly sure they will work on the rifle.
View Quote

If it were mine I would want to replace at least the barrel and bolt. I understand not selling spare parts while production is ramping up but replacement parts should always be available. I understand not selling a guy with a perfectly functional rifle a spare barrel or four just to have around in case of a problem (until production is caught up, then they should be available) but fixing a customer's broken rifle should be a priority, regardless of who is at fault (I think a bore obstruction is a likely possibility, should still be fixed for a fee).
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top