BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Did someone say something aquarium with a ar in it??

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh that is a very nice looking upper, too bad someone torched it.  :(  That one is in a really nice state of wear, both the color underneath (gold in this case) and the black dye are clear.  It would be cool to see an entire rifle done in that state of wear.  I am guilty of putting two of these things together myself, the 2nd one didn't turn out that nice so I am going to swap the upper receiver with another one.  Getting matching parts is real hit and miss, trigger guards seem to be the easiest to find, I have never found a real slip ring out in the wild.  I think I have one that another member here polished down from a black one, I'll take a look over the weekend.  I won a gold mag button on GB and no one else bid on it, I don't know if that is because there was lack of demand or if no one else saw it or people were being polite to me.  ( I don't know how much demand there is for these gold parts)  Here are a couple pics of mine, this is the upper receiver that got me started:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/somebob/bronze/IMG_8849.jpg~original

Here are two of mine and one that belongs to a friend.  Two were made from old A1 forge lower receivers but I recommend against using an older receiver, use a modern metallurgy lower receiver like NDS or re-profile an 80%.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/somebob/GM2/IMG_7329.jpg~original

View Quote

how do you get them to look like that?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Crap.. Now I want a aquarium
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh that is a very nice looking upper, too bad someone torched it.  :(  That one is in a really nice state of wear, both the color underneath (gold in this case) and the black dye are clear.  It would be cool to see an entire rifle done in that state of wear.  I am guilty of putting two of these things together myself, the 2nd one didn't turn out that nice so I am going to swap the upper receiver with another one.  Getting matching parts is real hit and miss, trigger guards seem to be the easiest to find, I have never found a real slip ring out in the wild.  I think I have one that another member here polished down from a black one, I'll take a look over the weekend.  I won a gold mag button on GB and no one else bid on it, I don't know if that is because there was lack of demand or if no one else saw it or people were being polite to me.  ( I don't know how much demand there is for these gold parts)  Here are a couple pics of mine, this is the upper receiver that got me started:

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/somebob/bronze/IMG_8849.jpg~original

Here are two of mine and one that belongs to a friend.  Two were made from old A1 forge lower receivers but I recommend against using an older receiver, use a modern metallurgy lower receiver like NDS or re-profile an 80%.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/somebob/GM2/IMG_7329.jpg~original

From what Victor at US Anodizing says, some turn gold during the anodizing process (I don't know what determines this) and then there was a problem with the dye so it doesn't stick well.  Over time the dye (black in this case) wears away quickly and we see the color of the anodized aluminum underneath.  Victor is able to replicate the dye flaw so you can rub the dye away and get a similar looking lower or other part.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I bet you could 3d print the FSB and other steel parts, make the rest of the barrel out of plastic pipe or rod.  3d print plastic pins to replace roll pins or "sprue stretch" black plastic like when building plastic models.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Guys,

I am going to try and post an update this afternoon or evening at some point.  I need to take some pictures of the parts that I have assembled to finish this out so far.  
I have had some wonderful help from other members on finding and receiving parts to assist with this project!  This place is great and full of fantastic people!  

I am very excited at working on this again.  I have been sort of out of things since the holidays.........seems like life has thrown me quite a few screw and curve balls since the fist of the
year.  Just have not had any extra time or money with several recent issues.  But everything will be coming back to norm hopefully within a month or so.   But thanks to everyone so far!

I am looking forward to posting some pictures very soon hopefully today.  

Spence
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, I had some issues taking some pictures and then I had issues with photobucket (not working right today for some reason).  
But here are some pictures.

Before I show some pictures.  I would like to thank several forum members who have given me advice, pointed me in the right direction, offered to help me with stuff, assisted me directly, sold me parts, and even given me parts to help me with this build.  Thanks to boywonder777, somebob, MrM1A1, HKILLER, Braceman, CVK1974, Live4nov, Trimdad, and BILLBO.  And a very special Thanks to PrivateSnafu!  

Okay, now for some pictures.

Here is all the parts I have thus far...

Here is the set of hand guards I have decided to use...

This is the markings on the barrel..........

Here are some close ups of the upper receiver.  The slip ring matches just perfect.  The rear sight assembly is an awesome example of a GM one.  
I am still looking for a correct ejection port door.  The forward assist is not a GM one.....but can be switched out for the correct one if I ever find one.  The BCG inside is damaged (Cracked carrier and bolt is very worn out) but will move and work as a normal one.  

Now, the charging handle is something I am going to have to decide on.  The one in this picture is a real GM one (I beleive) and has the six dimples in the rear as well as the mark on the right side of the T handle.  But, as you can see its been broken.  Also, its still rather black in color.  So I would love to find someone that can weld the front part onto it so it will at least work and then perhaps I can somehow polish it up and bring out the gold to match it with the rest of the upper.  Or keep looking for a complete one.??

Here are some pictures of the charging handle.

This is a picture showing the selector and bolt stop........both marked GM parts!  

The pistol grip has a "B" on the top and up inside the handle it is marked with a "2" and cross/plus design.

Now the rear stock that I am planning on using as of now..........is this one.  It does have an original (I think) rack number on it.... "16".  However, its such a nice one it really does not match.  I would rather like to find a rougher one (Type D) that has more scratches and even a crack in it.  But nothing that cannot be used if needed.  

I have been kicking around what to do about the lower receiver.  I suppose I will be picking up an 80% lower at some point that I can send off and have profiled into an A1 lower.  Then I can do some modifications and make it into a somewhat functioning lower just so some of the parts will work.  Might be able to get my friend locally to engrave it and mark it as a GM Hydromatic lower as well.

I am still on the lookout for the following parts to complete this GM build.  Looking for worn out or parts that would not be useable for a functioning weapon.  Worn out and such parts are just fine.

- buffer tube
- buffer and buffer spring
- gas tube
- trigger/FCG
- PG screw
- worn out or pitted lock washer to match the barrel/FH
- ejection port door assembly (ideally one with the rounded corners (GM) but a very worn out one will get me by)

So i will be watching the EE for these.  And I will post some updates as I acquire new parts for this build!

Thanks again to everyone!

Spence
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Funny you should mention about needing a broken GM trigger.
I've kept this for over a year. Why? I didn't know until now.

Look for it the mail Spence.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Funny you should mention about needing a broken GM trigger.
I've kept this for over a year. Why? I didn't know until now.

Look for it the mail Spence.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/nosepiece/IMG_1338_zpsh96dgc46.jpg
View Quote

Thanks a million Dave!
I will put it to good use!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top