User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 16
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know that 9mm AR's used to break FCG pins, hammers and bolt catches with more frequency than 5.56 guns because of bolt over travel.  The solution was to add approximately $2 in quarters (or the equivalent sized spacer) in the bottom of the buffer tube before putting the spring and buffer back in.  IIRC 9mm BCGs weight more than a standard 5.56 version, so that added reciprocal mass does throw some new stresses into the mix.  That was mostly my thought was to basically induce more stress upon the parts to see how it fared and to see what would fail.  But your explanation of what's going on in there does make a lot of sense.  It's the same reason the drop in FCG packs work better than a standard FCG using just the pins.

What GA sheet metal did you end up using?  I'm guessing 16GA or 18GA but it's hard to tell without something to reference as a scale.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't think that 9mm would be a rougher setup, 556 is three times the energy of 9mm. The rear portion isn't exactly tied to recoil as all recoil should be absorbed by the buffer. In a perfectly balanced rifle there should be very little stress on the receiver itself. Part of it has to do with upper mating closely with the lower. What I've seen is that gap between upper and lower allowing extra flex of the rear portion.

The reinforcement essentially prevents that, by using rear take down pin as pivot and bracing against the upper. The reinforcement that I made is mild steel. If there were indeed very hard stresses, I should have seen accumulated deformation because mild steel does not spring back. This means that existing reinforcement piece is capable of handling that stress, i.e. stress is below its inelastic deformation point, which should be very low for a mild steel. Worst come worse, a reinforcing piece from hardened carbon steel would outlast mild by order of magnitude, at least, and the breaking point would then be adhesion and mating to the plastic. I bet this is going to take thousands of rounds.

One can probably build a machine to simulate firing, something like jack hammer that works barrel and bolt. I don't have time for that.

I know that 9mm AR's used to break FCG pins, hammers and bolt catches with more frequency than 5.56 guns because of bolt over travel.  The solution was to add approximately $2 in quarters (or the equivalent sized spacer) in the bottom of the buffer tube before putting the spring and buffer back in.  IIRC 9mm BCGs weight more than a standard 5.56 version, so that added reciprocal mass does throw some new stresses into the mix.  That was mostly my thought was to basically induce more stress upon the parts to see how it fared and to see what would fail.  But your explanation of what's going on in there does make a lot of sense.  It's the same reason the drop in FCG packs work better than a standard FCG using just the pins.

What GA sheet metal did you end up using?  I'm guessing 16GA or 18GA but it's hard to tell without something to reference as a scale.

I have an 9mm upper and I believe that it comes with some special FCG too. The sheet metal is 1.5mm ... whatever gage that translates to.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The sheet metal is 1.5mm ... whatever gage that translates to.

View Quote

In case anyone is interested in trying to make your own, that translates to 16GA sheet metal.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
This is beyond awesome
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know how that feels.  I wonder if a 9mm AR might be better to test with.  Cheaper ammo and they tend to be a bit rougher on parts than the 5.56 guns due to that whole direct blowback thing.  I figured it would help speed up any signs of fatigue of breaking compared to shooting a bunch of 5.56.

Good to know though that Fruity Ghost MKII, as a proof of concept, has been a success compared to the MKI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any more updates on your re-enforced lower?  I'm about a month out from being able to take my stab at this now.  Which reminds me, I better order a stripped lower here soon.

This past Thursday I went to the range and got another 100 rounds. It's still in one piece, still no indication of it failing any time soon. It's getting boring now. The last 60 rounds were just f-it, let's burn these mags and go home. So now I'm up to 500 556 rounds, no breakage.

Yeah, I know how that feels.  I wonder if a 9mm AR might be better to test with.  Cheaper ammo and they tend to be a bit rougher on parts than the 5.56 guns due to that whole direct blowback thing.  I figured it would help speed up any signs of fatigue of breaking compared to shooting a bunch of 5.56.

Good to know though that Fruity Ghost MKII, as a proof of concept, has been a success compared to the MKI

More people coming out of the shadows and making/ testing would be great. To see what works and what does not. I have few more of reinforcements left over if someone has a mold and means.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Still a few problems, though I think they can be fixed.  Main one is that I was again caught out by a dual-diameter void and trimmed the safety plunger void too close to one of the outer pieces of the mold, resulting in the plunger void being orphaned inside the receiver.  I tried pinning it in place, but that failed.  I may be able to remold that part by placing the central plug of the mold into the receiver I used as a template, inverting it, and filling the plunger tube with Mold Star, then placing that section inverted into the full mold.  Since I'm not sure how easy it would be to shove the grip screw threads back through the receiver to get a good fit for the plunger molding, I might have to do the same for the grip screw void.
View Quote

Finally a week later had the time to work on repairing my second mold.  Trimmed the grip screw threads off completely to make the central piece of the mold easier to reinsert into the template receiver.  After having reinserted it, I dribbled Mold Star into the safety plunger and grip screw holes, then reassembled the rest of the mold and left it all in the mold box overnight to set.  Had planned to use a syringe to remold these voids, but the one I tried couldn't handle the viscosity of the Mold Star 30, so in the end, I ladled it on with a spoon (and made quite a mess on my drop cloth).  I'd initially thought that entrapped air would prevent the grip screw from molding correctly, but my fears were unfounded.  When I pulled the mold, both plunger and screw holes had molded fully, and the plunger separated cleanly from the central piece of the mold this time.

Also took the opportunity to fill in some bubbles which had formed in the bolt stop and magazine release channels in the initial molding, and it looks like these mostly (though not completely) cleaned up.  Should have less obnoxious urethane bubbling to clear out of these spots in my next casting (which is currently in the mold).

A poster who PM-ed me (I won't say who in case they don't want their name used, but if they do, please pipe up and take credit!) had an idea which I like quite a lot: to insure all of the plugs for holes in the receiver center are molded as part of the outer pieces of the mold, simply tape over these holes on the inside of the receiver being molded.  The result should be clean mold separation and thin flashings on the resulting castings.  My only concern is entrapped air, so I'd probably leave the trigger guard open.  Actually, any bubbles which form should be straightforward to fill later simply by pouring a little more Mold Star into the receiver after it's been demolded and inserting only the central mold section until the new Mold Star has set and bonded to the old (which is a neat property you can tell from my posts I've been relying on heavily to fix my mistakes!).

Had planned to try this trick and tape off the holes for my repairs to this mold, but had two problems, both, as usual, of my own making:

• I failed to trim the tape correctly, with the result it kept kinking when I tried to apply it.

• In an especially moronic move, I'd already applied the mold release before I tried to get tape to stick, so it wouldn't.

In the end, I abandoned the tape and proceeded conventionally.  I do plan to try the tape in the next mold I make.  To minimize flashings thickening the whole interior of the receiver, I will try to tape only the holes and very slightly around them.

Since the Smooth Cast 325 I'm using seems to take far longer to set than given by the specifications, I will leave the latest casting in the mold for six hours or so.  I'm cautiously optimistic this casting will be closer than the last to where I want it to be.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What are you guys pouring for the mold and what are you using as the cast material? I may have to give this a shot soon if I get some down time.
View Quote

This.  What's the best source online of these products for now?  My kids won't mind if I borrow some legos.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.  What's the best source online of these products for now?  My kids won't mind if I borrow some legos.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you guys pouring for the mold and what are you using as the cast material? I may have to give this a shot soon if I get some down time.

The basics Boris laid out are Smooth-On Mold Star 30 for the mold and Smooth-On Smooth Cast 300 for the urethane (I've been using 300 instead and have some regrets about that).  Other molding silicones and casting urethanes could be used, but you probably want to stick close to the Shore ratings Boris gives when you're first starting out (Boris discusses materials in first several pages of the thread and again later).  So far I think the only people who've posted their experience are following Boris' lead and using products from Smooth-On.  Smooth-On has local dealers in many areas but also sells over the internet.  They seem to keep a close clamp on their vendor pricing, so I don't think where you buy matters much to the price.

Can't say this enough, but read and reread every post Boris has made, and then you'll probably want to read my posts as well, because I'm coming up with all sorts of mistakes you should learn from.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The basics Boris laid out are Smooth-On Mold Star 30 for the mold and Smooth-On Smooth Cast 300 for the urethane (I've been using 300 instead and have some regrets about that).  Other molding silicones and casting urethanes could be used, but you probably want to stick close to the Shore ratings Boris gives when you're first starting out.  So far I think the only people who've posted their experience are following Boris' lead and using products from Smooth-On (Boris discusses materials in first several pages of the thread and again later).  Smooth-On has local dealers in many areas but also sells over the internet.  They seem to keep a close clamp on their vendor pricing, so I don't think price matters much wherever you buy.

Can't say this enough, but read and reread every post Boris has made, and then you'll probably want to read my posts as well, because I'm coming up with all sorts of mistakes you should learn from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The basics Boris laid out are Smooth-On Mold Star 30 for the mold and Smooth-On Smooth Cast 300 for the urethane (I've been using 300 instead and have some regrets about that).  Other molding silicones and casting urethanes could be used, but you probably want to stick close to the Shore ratings Boris gives when you're first starting out.  So far I think the only people who've posted their experience are following Boris' lead and using products from Smooth-On (Boris discusses materials in first several pages of the thread and again later).  Smooth-On has local dealers in many areas but also sells over the internet.  They seem to keep a close clamp on their vendor pricing, so I don't think price matters much wherever you buy.

Gotcha.  I've read the whole thread and seen you posts.  And would certainly reread before as I build legos and before pouring.

I called the local hobby store but they're on vacation and then the other go to vendor is Amazon but wanted to see where else I should be looking to purchase
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm cautiously optimistic this casting will be closer than the last to where I want it to be.
View Quote

Optimism is my most consistent character flaw.

Two steps forward, numerous steps back:

• The bolt-release slot is now clear of plastic blobs.

• The magazine release button is also now clear.

BUT
  • The grip screw hole didn't cast straight.

• The safety plunger hole didn't cast straight.

• The magazine release hole was accidentally remolded when I fixed the button and now angles downward towards the left side of the receiver.

• The magazine slot in the magwell has become partially blocked.

• Something caused the top of the mold to rise, so when I pulled the casting, the bottom of the receiver was a giant flashing

Clearly I need to do more repairs and remolding.  I may start from scratch with a new mold, or I may simply cut out large parts of this one all the way to the surface and remold those areas.

Also, Smooth Cast 325 takes exceptionally long to harden. After 6 hours it was hard enough to demold but still easily deformable.

Somewhat discouraging results all-in-all, though as always I have more information about what works and what doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

BUT

• The magazine release hole was accidentally remolded when I fixed the button and now angles downward towards the left side of the receiver.

• Something caused the top of the mold to rise, so when I pulled the casting, the bottom of the receiver was a giant flashing

Clearly I need to do more repairs and remolding.  I may start from scratch with a new mold, or I may simply cut out large parts of this one all the way to the surface and remold those areas.

Also, Smooth Cast 325 takes exceptionally long to harden. After 6 hours it was hard enough to demold but still easily deformable.

Somewhat discouraging results all-in-all, though as always I have more information about what works and what doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm cautiously optimistic this casting will be closer than the last to where I want it to be.

BUT

Thanks for the updates.

I won't have any play money until next month but seeing your problems will sure help when I can get started.

I think I will try molding the mag well and the fire control seperately.

Use aluminum tape to seal the top and bottom of the reciever and clay and tape on the outside of the holes.

Then use clay to form up half of the outside and pour one side at a time.

I have looked at and turned the reciever until is almost worn out from handling.

Good luck to you and keep posting . I need all the help I can get.

Frank
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

A poster who PM-ed me (I won't say who in case they don't want their name used, but if they do, please pipe up and take credit!) had an idea which I like quite a lot: to insure all of the plugs for holes in the receiver center are molded as part of the outer pieces of the mold, simply tape over these holes on the inside of the receiver being molded.  The result should be clean mold separation and thin flashings on the resulting castings.  My only concern is entrapped air, so I'd probably leave the trigger guard open.  Actually, any bubbles which form should be straightforward to fill later simply by pouring a little more Mold Star into the receiver after it's been demolded and inserting only the central mold section until the new Mold Star has set and bonded to the old (which is a neat property you can tell from my posts I've been relying on heavily to fix my mistakes!).
View Quote

I sent Sample basically what amounts to a short novel with a sweet MS Paint rough sketch of my idea for the mold box.  Boris's method is certainly the fastest and has produced great results.  My idea will take take 3-4 days, and some wood working skills, but you won't have to cut the original lower receiver out of a block of silicone.  As an added bonus it includes checks/alignment tools to ensure the mold always goes back together properly every single time.

If anyone wants to see it I can either email it or post it here....or when I get around to making mine I'll just post pics.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

I would honestly try nipping off the plunger tube holes as well as the grip screw hole.  Just leave them as "dimples" so you can drill them out with a drill press or by hand.  Add a helicoil or try to tap the plastic.  

I would probably lean towards tossing the mold out though...I could just see the dimensions getting all wacky with the attempts at fixing the mold, and that'll cause even bigger frustrations later when you go to put parts in and nothing lines up.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought about using tape on the inside but was concerned the tape would leave a ridge in the casting.
Thought about using clay in the holes with tape on the outside if I can find out what kind of clay to use.
Then use foam board after laying reciever on it's side lined half way up with clay to make the box.
Frank

ETA. Boris, could you post the template you used to cut out the template for the brace?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I thought about using tape on the inside but was concerned the tape would leave a ridge in the casting.

Thought about using clay in the holes with tape on the outside if I can find out what kind of clay to use.

Then use foam board after laying reciever o it's side lined half way up with clay to make the box.

Frank
View Quote

Frank, send me a PM with your email.  I'll send you what I sent Sample.

If you are doing Boris's method and you want to use tape it, you MUST put it on the outside of the receiver.  And yes it will leave a ridge.  For clay you want to use Non-sulfer art clay.  I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say with the last sentence.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would probably lean towards tossing the mold out though...I could just see the dimensions getting all wacky with the attempts at fixing the mold, and that'll cause even bigger frustrations later when you go to put parts in and nothing lines up.  
View Quote

One difficulty I'm having with the repairs is that I'm actually using the original receiver, in-place, while I perform them.  That should mean in the end they come out right, but the trade-off is that every repair is a little geometry problem of its own.

On the other hand, I'm not quite sure what went wrong with the magazine release.  That experience would seem to discredit my thought that working with the original receiver inside the mold would be the way to go about the repairs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#17]
If anyone needs pictures hosted, drop me an IM.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I've found. The product names are buried in the middle of the thread somewhere.

If these aren't right, someone (Boris?) please correct me.

mold rubber-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ETAY8RI/ref%3Dwl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&tag=vglnk-c102-20

casting plastic-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BN7G0E/ref%3Dwl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&tag=vglnk-c102-20

tinting dye-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZSGQBO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1O15IFSO261E8&coliid=I3OLRFHI1LSGH5

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just a reminder, the sample kits above is just BARELY enough to make a mold and a single receiver... IF you make the mold box as small as possible, and do everything 100% perfectly. That said, It might be worth it just to experiment and learn some stuff... I cast copies of my kids animal figurines for them, but that's all it was enough for.

You'll probably want the gallon-size kits from Smooth-on's website because you're going to screw up once or twice before you've got it down, and figure out all the details with the small holes in the receiver etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I've found. The product names are buried in the middle of the thread somewhere.

If these aren't right, someone (Boris?) please correct me.

mold rubber-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ETAY8RI/ref%3Dwl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&tag=vglnk-c102-20

casting plastic-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BN7G0E/ref%3Dwl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&tag=vglnk-c102-20

tinting dye-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZSGQBO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1O15IFSO261E8&coliid=I3OLRFHI1LSGH5

Just a reminder, the sample kits above is just BARELY enough to make a mold and a single receiver... IF you make the mold box as small as possible, and do everything 100% perfectly. That said, It might be worth it just to experiment and learn some stuff... I cast copies of my kids animal figurines for them, but that's all it was enough for.

You'll probably want the gallon-size kits from Smooth-on's website because you're going to screw up once or twice before you've got it down, and figure out all the details with the small holes in the receiver etc.

That's why people (well me at least) are a little confused about the plastic/mold sourcing.  In the OP it was stated that it was running $30 for the mold and a couple bucks per lower.  The startup/trial costs are higher than initially expected.  

Still freaking cool though.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  That's why people (well me at least) are a little confused about the plastic/mold sourcing.  In the OP it was stated that it was running $30 for the mold and a couple bucks per lower.  The startup/trial costs are higher than initially expected.  

Still freaking cool though.  
View Quote

OP has much experience in casting.  $30 is all it costs him.  He didn't count, nor did he show, all his failures.  If he showed you his $2000 of failed molds and his $500 of distorted, grotesque lowers, no one would try it.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's why people (well me at least) are a little confused about the plastic/mold sourcing.  In the OP it was stated that it was running $30 for the mold and a couple bucks per lower.  The startup/trial costs are higher than initially expected.
View Quote

$30 of molding rubber if you buy it at the price per volume you get with the gallon size. . If buying starter kits, buy two of the silicone rubber.  For the urethane, one starter kit should make you a number of receivers.

If you - like me - are a novice at molding and casting, you might be better off with the gallon of silicone, but the cost of that is obviously a more substantial commitment.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#23]
This is pretty cool. I didnt read all 13 pages but someone should try this. Thermochromic pigment
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Can you get this silicone material in a high temp formula and cast your own suppressor covers?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Can you get this silicone material in a high temp formula and cast your own suppressor covers?
View Quote

i wouldn't for a number of reasons
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe something here you could adapt for your project?

fosscadboltar15lowerreceiver
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Maybe something here you could adapt for your project?

fosscadboltar15lowerreceiver
View Quote

This is along the lines of why I want to get one of those metal reinforcement pieces.

I've got a model I've been working on, that I much prefer to those currently on fosscad. I want to alter my design to incorporate the metal reinforcement collar.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:38:35 AM EDT
[#28]
i like the capitalist legos lol. you could use this mold to make wax casting then slurry coat that then bake out wax and cast with any metal you can melt.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#29]
so awesome, thanks for sharing boris!
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#30]
First of all I would like to give a giant shout out to Boris, amazing work!  I am a complete noob to plastic resin casting, before reading this thread I didn't even know that it was something that I could ever so at home. I am however no noob to plastic guns, I am also know as FOSSCAD FP,  I have 3D printed a good two dozen lowers and many other firearm related parts. It's time to combine the tech for the greater good! #MOARGUNS

First step, print a lower. I went with the JT Vanguard and made some small changes to suit my needs, I got rid of the bolt catch and shortened the buffer tower.

Lower cleaned up and ready for the mold

Lower suspended in my box by some thin wire.

My mold took two entire trial kits of silicone, it isn't very efficient. The lower started to float so I dropped a chunk of metal on top to push it back down. That's gonna leave a mark :(

This might just work!

Oh yeah!

My  first pour, nothing to color them with at this point

It worked! Everything fits great.

Over the past  week many more lowers have been cast. :D

Ladies

I just finished my new mold box and plan on making a mold for the WarFairy Hermes lower soon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#31]
FP3D, welcome!  Thank you very much for posting.  Very impressive results, and great to see interest in the 3D printing crowd too.  Your first try is a lot better than my second try was.    (My third try has been pending for want of time but may happen this weekend.)
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FP3D, welcome!  Thank you very much for posting.  Very impressive results, and great to see interest in the 3D printing crowd too.  Your first try is a lot better than my second try was.    (My third try has been pending for want of time but may happen this weekend.)
View Quote

Thank You! Your advise on cutting the mold was very useful, no idea if I would have cut the mag release on the right side otherwise. I noticed you were using Smooth-on 325, that stuff was a pain in the ass. From what I can tell it is impossible to get clear without a vacuum chamber and/or pressure. I've had good luck with smooth-on 300, 305, and some SRC RP-40 that I picked up off Ebay.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Most Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  Most Awesome!
View Quote

Retro lowers can be cast as well...

Albeit they'll be too weak for retro bayonet drill.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot with a resin cast lower yet so I did the next best thing, violently destroyed them.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/X39arwrG5r8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot with a resin cast lower yet so I did the next best thing, violently destroyed them.
https://youtu.be/X39arwrG5r8
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39arwrG5r8
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Your first try is a lot better than my second try was.  (My third try has been pending for want of time but may happen this weekend.)
View Quote

I've been working on that third mold since the weekend, testing if I can use MoldStar's self-melding abilities to eliminate air bubbles in the mold by pouring the mold in stages.  (Previous molds have all formed bubbles in unfortunate places, which are then filled with resin when cast.)  If this experiment works, I'll report on it thoroughly later, but in the meantime I thought I'd mention another trick which does seem to work well:

For this mold, I covered the rollmarks with a piece of packing tape rather than filling them with modeling clay.  This part of the mold seemed to work as well as the clay without creating nearly the mess.  If I were starting from scratch, I'd pick a receiver with an integral trigger guard, tape over the rollmarks, and skip the modeling clay altogether.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Boris, that opportunity you were waiting for has presented itself:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1777866_.html

How many "operable" evil baby killing assault rifles can you make by Saturday?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:34:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Round 2

This time I am molding a WarFairy Hermes lower that I slightly modified to suit my needs.

This time I have it securely mounted so it won't start to float around in the silicone, I also added vent holes and a channel at the front so I can pour the resin in from the bottom.

Ready to cut open

The new mold came out quite nicely!

First fill with resin, using Smoothcast 305.

Everything fits perfectly

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:22:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Round 2

This time I am molding a WarFairy Hermes lower that I slightly modified to suit my needs.

http://i.imgur.com/xMGw64S.jpg?2

This time I have it securely mounted so it won't start to float around in the silicone, I also added vent holes and a channel at the front so I can pour the resin in from the bottom.

http://i.imgur.com/xMGw64S.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/mf28bIQ.jpg?2

Ready to cut open

http://i.imgur.com/4sJOPW9.jpg?2
http://i.imgur.com/ihWDa5L.jpg?3

The new mold came out quite nicely!

http://i.imgur.com/hpfw6xY.jpg?1

First fill with resin, using Smoothcast 305.

http://i.imgur.com/6QbgugF.jpg?1

Everything fits perfectly

http://i.imgur.com/JsPH7YY.jpg?1
View Quote

I'm glad you did this. I had printed out a lower specifically for this, a Hermes that I had modified. But I've been TDY the past two weeks.

Watching the above video, what I might try doing now instead of casting:10-15% infill using rectilinear patterning. Drill acouple holes and fill the printed mold with resin. Then the same thing again, but filling with hot glue. Then maybe a version with one of the various JB Weld style epoxies.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#41]
this thread is awesome...and now I am going to have to try something like this...I bet using the plastic lower for a dedicated 22lr/.17/ or 22tcm would last a lot longer or even a 9mm build...
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  this thread is awesome...and now I am going to have to try something like this...I bet using the plastic lower for a dedicated 22lr/.17/ or 22tcm would last a lot longer or even a 9mm build...
View Quote

9x19mm blowback might actually increase stress on the lower.  It may be possible, however, to cast a 9x19mm blowback upper, as you wouldn't have the heat of the gas tube.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#43]
A couple more receivers from the new mold.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  A couple more receivers from the new mold.

http://i.imgur.com/jDspU1Y.jpg?1
View Quote

Can't you just print a mold?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:51:35 AM EDT
[#45]
It's been talked about but I really don't think that it would work that well. Just for example, how are the buffer tube threads going to work? That's just one part of it, you would need a bunch of sections that perfectly seal together.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been working on that third mold since the weekend, testing if I can use MoldStar's self-melding abilities to eliminate air bubbles in the mold by pouring the mold in stages.  (Previous molds have all formed bubbles in unfortunate places, which are then filled with resin when cast.)
View Quote

3rd mold came out fairly well save for two problems, with one of them being yet another showstopper.  The first problem, rather minor, was a bad mold separation around the trigger slot of the receiver.  I had taped the receiver on the inside at that point, but next time I think I would try taping the outside.

The larger problem is that the grip screw threads, which I had taped off of the inside of the fire control cavity and reinforced with bristles from a steel brush broke off inside the threaded part of the receiver.  The bristles were evidently too strong and too short.  Perhaps they would have worked better had I filled a small portion of the threads with silicone and let it set before adding the bristles and repouring.

I had previously experimented with a machine screw to see if it could be used for the grip screw threads but stripped the head when trying to extract it from a urethane test casting.  I may try using a bolt, which has worked well for Boris and K1.

Pouring the difficult sections of the mold bit by bit did work well, as did filling empty volume in the main pour with spare silicone scraps from earlier molds.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  A couple more receivers from the new mold.

http://i.imgur.com/jDspU1Y.jpg?1

Yes, you can.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Someone has suggested this material:

http://www.smooth-on.com/castable-expoxy-res/c1295_1374/index.html

EpoxAcast® 655 (formerly Metalset® A-30) is a versatile aluminum filled castable epoxy resin that is very hard and strong.  It is dimensionally stable, even when mass cast up to 512 in3/ 8,390 cm3. Different hardener speed options are available depending on your project requirements. Maximum heat resistance is achieved using HT HIGH TEMP hardener (up to 225°F/108°C).
View Quote

Opinions?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Opinions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

EpoxAcast® 655 (formerly Metalset® A-30) is a versatile aluminum filled castable epoxy resin that is very hard and strong.  It is dimensionally stable, even when mass cast up to 512 in3/ 8,390 cm3. Different hardener speed options are available depending on your project requirements. Maximum heat resistance is achieved using HT HIGH TEMP hardener (up to 225°F/108°C).

Opinions?

Better have a vac chamber.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Fascinating thread!

Has anyone considered using melted Pmag plastic for the fill? Seems like it would be durable, but I know nothing of this.
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top