User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet uppers, here is one I just completed for GotM4's wife 9x19.

Had it refinished since the FSP took a bit of finish off when the FSB was moved, they are getting out of hand in the factory coatings since it was so thick around the front sight.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, I am going to do the girly thing and go crying to American Spirit Arms in the morning.  They said it shouldn't be an issue to get off.

I've done an American Spirit Arms barrel also.  This unique upper I  built was based on a American Spirit Arms HBAR barrel.

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Had it refinished since the FSP took a bit of finish off when the FSB was moved, they are getting out of hand in the factory coatings since it was so thick around the front sight.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=28644

Nice work l-r-t.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've done an American Spirit Arms barrel also.his

Go ahead......kick a man while he's down.  Why don't you just call me a queerbait pussy while you're at it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've done an American Spirit Arms barrel also.  This unique upper I  built was based on a American Spirit Arms HBAR barrel.

Go ahead......kick a man while he's down.  Why don't you just call me a queerbait pussy while you're at it?

I'd never do that.  You just reminded me of that long lost project I did.  

This FSB removal process isn't for everyone.  I guess I have a knack for it.  I've been messing with taper pin applications for most of my industrial maintenance career, so I've fought much tougher taper pin battles than these.  These are rather easy - they are very easy to get to, they are small, they aren't in a 130degree room with 110% humidity, I'm not wearing a respirator, they usually aren't corroded in any way (and I don't mean a light coating of rust, I mean caked in rust, sludge, etc.).  I rather enjoy these ones.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice work l-r-t.

Thank you

Now if we could get you down here to Virginia and open a full time shop we could have more work than the devil could shake a stick at

I work full time as an armorer and do it part time for people and believe me, if I had someone to help we could do a good business since your work looks as detailed as mine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice work l-r-t.

Thank you

Now if we could get you down here to Virginia and open a full time shop we could have more work than the devil could shake a stick at

I work full time as an armorer and do it part time for people and believe me, if I had someone to help we could do a good business since your work looks as detailed as mine.

I wouldn't qualify as an armorer, as I've had no formal training.  My bro-in-law (ex-USMC, ex-USMC Reservist, ex-US Army Reservist, recent retiree) who was trained as an armorer in the USMC taught me a few things about ARs & M16s.  I took the tidbits of knowledge he gave me, combined with alot of books and some knowledge from this site and now I feel there isn't any task that I can't do on an AR.

If I had full time access to a lathe and mill, I'd be hooked up.  I'd be turning out custom work all day long (well at least all afternoon long, as I still have my day job).

Wish I could take you up on the offer.  A shop of my own to share with a fellow enthusiast would be SWEET!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice work l-r-t.

Thank you

I wouldn't qualify as an armorer, as I've had no formal training.  My bro-in-law (ex-USMC, ex-USMC Reservist, ex-US Army Reservist, recent retiree) who was trained as an armorer in the USMC taught me a few things about ARs & M16s.  I took the tidbits of knowledge he gave me, combined with alot of books and some knowledge from this site and now I feel there isn't any task that I can't do on an AR.

If I had full time access to a lathe and mill, I'd be hooked up.  I'd be turning out custom work all day long (well at least all afternoon long, as I still have my day job).

Wish I could take you up on the offer.  A shop of my own to share with a fellow enthusiast would be SWEET!!

Retired Marine 2112 here
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Why does it look like your RECCE rifle has no gas tube?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why does it look like your RECCE rifle has no gas tube?

It does.  It is hidden by the angle of the pic, I guess.  It shot nice in that configuration, but it is presently disassembled for a barrel swapout.  It's getting a Bushy 1/7 HBAR barrel to replace the Bushy 1/9 HBAR barrel that is presently in it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mongo...

Uhm... that is NOT a Bushmaster barrel... which seem to have KRYPTONITE taper pins.

Scot

Uhm, I've done at least 6 different Bushmaster barrels, likely more.  I've also done Colt, Oly, Rock River, Aramlite, DPMS - basically name the barrel brand and I've done at least one, likely more than one.

Some of the Bushmaster barrels I've removed the FSBs on and floated:

www.hunt101.com/img/164865.JPG

What the hell kind of amateur 'smith are you?  your socks don't even match for christ's sake!!!!

Or, maybe it's just the flash that's keeping me from seeing the colored seam on your right foot???!?!?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Isn't there anyone that makes a jig to hold the FSB for this kind of work?

The 2 - 1x2's work for me - just removed/installed 2 Bushie fsb's. But if you want the ultimate and don't mind spending a couple of bucks for it ($33.33 to be exact), Adco has a nice FSB Cradle. I've purchased several AR tools from Adco/Steve and they have all been very good quality tools. Not to mention they are lightening fast on shipping. Love spending $ on good tools.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:29:01 AM EDT
[#14]
once the pins are punched out, does it just slide off?

Then, how do you line up the sights after you are down?

One day, I would like to be able to tear down my upper and put it back together, just because.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:22:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Isn't there anyone that makes a jig to hold the FSB for this kind of work?

The 2 - 1x2's work for me - just removed/installed 2 Bushie fsb's. But if you want the ultimate and don't mind spending a couple of bucks for it ($33.33 to be exact), Adco has a nice FSB Cradle. I've purchased several AR tools from Adco/Steve and they have all been very good quality tools. Not to mention they are lightening fast on shipping. Love spending $ on good tools.

YMMV

Take a look at this www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20727&title=AR-15+FRONT+SIGHT+BENCH+BLOCK. A friend has the ADCO block and the Brownells blows it away. Just my opinion.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey thanks for the advice, now i can't wait to do the removal, Mongo, that's a awesome gun.

Oh, just out of curiosity, has anyone  ever used a carrot grip, the one with the adjustable palm block, How are they?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Whover designed this was smart.   Thanks for the link!

Duffy you see this?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, I hate them fugging pins  But the process of ATTEMPTING to remove them does help my cussing skills where I decidedly don't need more improvement.
We need a bigger hammer and a beefy drift punch, the gucci shit I got is useless against the beast
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Those are the tools I use to remove a FSB - notice there is no Dremel in the pic.

Bushmaster "Kryptonite" pins:  

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to see that damage.  I continue to remove FSBs off of Bushmaster barrels to install float tubes without problems.  Obviously, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sorry to see that damage.  I continue to remove FSBs off of Bushmaster barrels to install float tubes without problems.  Obviously, YMMV.

It was a throw away any how.

I'm using a flipup, and since these things are match drilled, there was no point in trying to save it, since it can't be reused anyway.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
How do y'all match new FSB's to the old slots on the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Unless you are "win the lottery lucky", you don't.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I didn't.

New FS is a Yankee Hill fold down, and uses set screws.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#26]
So basically you have to use a set screw design if you don't want to use the old FSB?  Does anyone know what the PRI low profile gas block uses?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#27]
PRI's low profile gas block uses a set screw, it's very similar, if not idential, to the dimenions of the KAC low profile gas block.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Mongo,

I tried your method today, and it worked great!

Thanks for the tips!

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#29]
On the PRI Low Profile Gas Block, do you just screw the set screw into the barrel or should you dimple the barrel first (with a drill bit)? Yes, I like to over-engineer! :)

Mongo - You do some nice work! I wish I lived next to ya! :)
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
On the PRI Low Profile Gas Block, do you just screw the set screw into the barrel or should you dimple the barrel first (with a drill bit)? Yes, I like to over-engineer! :)

Mongo - You do some nice work! I wish I lived next to ya! :)

You seat the gas block as far back on the gas block step and it should be good to go.  The setscrews should hold without dimpling, but IMO dimpling is always good insurance and it's not that hard to do.  Test fit a drill bit to the threaded hole in the gas block, mark the holes and drill a shallow dimple for the setscrews to set into.  Finish with some blue Loctite and it should be secure for a very long time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The keys are to hit the small side of the taper pin and hit them HARD.

With an attitude like that you must be an Engineer/Machinist (please don’t ask me how I know this)

Nothing like a BIG Hammer when you need it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The keys are to hit the small side of the taper pin and hit them HARD.

With an attitude like that you must be an Engineer/Machinist (please don’t ask me how I know this)

Nothing like a BIG Hammer when you need it!

No hammer too big, no job too small.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I just did my first yesterday, and I tried it just the way Mongo is showing, but I was having trouble with the barrel/FSB bouncing. It was hard to keep the punch lined up, and the whole thing would kind of roll with the force which means that some of the force on the pin is being lost.

So I used a C-Clamp, clamping it to my workbench to hold it steady, this made all the difference in the world, it made it much easier.

So here's kind of what I did, and Mongo, I just photo shopped one of your pics to show what I mean, I didn't want to take my rifle apart to show it.

See how the C-Clamp is holding the whole thing firm, clamped to the bench. Use a wood spacer on the FSB to protect it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Good job Grasshopper.  Now, when you can snatch this pebble from my hand.........................................
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I just did my first yesterday, and I tried it just the way Mongo is showing, but I was having trouble with the barrel/FSB bouncing. It was hard to keep the punch lined up, and the whole thing would kind of roll with the force which means that some of the force on the pin is being lost.

So I used a C-Clamp, clamping it to my workbench to hold it steady, this made all the difference in the world, it made it much easier.

So here's kind of what I did, and Mongo, I just photo shopped one of your pics to show what I mean, I didn't want to take my rifle apart to show it.

www.goobage.com/pics/Temp/mongo_redo.jpg

See how the C-Clamp is holding the whole thing firm, clamped to the bench. Use a wood spacer on the FSB to protect it.

Wow, that picture helped.  Thanks mogo001 and the rest of you.  I got my stubborn Bushy pins out after whacking away at it for a little while.  I have one more FSB to go, maybe this weekend.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top