Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I put 300 rounds through 5 rifles without any problems .It was ok as far as accuracy ,but it did leave me wondering about the smoke . The Aug A3 just loves the stuff  ,the Tavor gave me a lot of gas and smoke in the face ( more then normal ) the Galil and the arsenal milled  Bulgy AK74 both were fine with it and the BCM middy upper on a billet lower gave 1.75 groups at 100 yards and was very dirty after shooting it when I cleaned it . All in all I'm glad I bought 3000 rounds .
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What date stamp did you use?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know ,will check when I get back to the house later tonight .
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
ammunitionstore has this pic of a sectioned round

supposedly the rear portion of the core is softer steel than the front

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
supposedly the rear portion of the core is softer steel than the front

View Quote

The rear portion is much softer, you can see the dividing line between the two sections of steel in that pic.  The front portion is very hard, you can't really cut it with bolt cutters it just fractures and pieces go all over.  The rear portion is mild steel and can easily be cut with a pair of bolt cutters or even a large pair of wire cutter pliers.  I have sectioned several rounds and they are consistent in this construction.

The real question with this ammo, in my estimation, is how well it will age.  I have a quantity of rounds that I put out on the roof of my work shop to be exposed to the elements.  They bake in the sun, soak in the rain and are just exposed to the elements from the first can I purchased.  At the six month point I'm gonna shoot a few rounds to see how well it's holding up.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Went out into the foothills of the Bradshaw's on Sunday morning to shoot . I took an Aug A3 ,Tavor, and a AR/M4 .ran about 250 rounds of the Carl Gustav  through them . Again fine accuracy and no signs of any high pressure what so ever . great ammo at a nice price . And the loaders they come with work like a champ to load the mags . Mine is lot#  02- CG- 09 . Spent most of the time shooting my buddy Rob's Ruger super black hawk 41 mag that he has tuned and fire lapped the barrel on .
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Went out into the foothills of the Bradshaw's on Sunday morning to shoot . I took an Aug A3 ,Tavor, and a AR/M4 .ran about 250 rounds of the Carl Gustav  through them . Again fine accuracy and no signs of any high pressure what so ever . great ammo at a nice price . And the loaders they come with work like a champ to load the mags . Mine is lot#  02- CG- 09 . Spent most of the time shooting my buddy Rob's Ruger super black hawk 41 mag that he has tuned and fire lapped the barrel on .
View Quote

do the loaders work on AUG mags?

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Not only do they work on Aug mags ,they work even better then on P Mags . .Very easy 1 finger almost half the pressure of loading a P Mag . The 42 round mags load like butter .
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
deleted

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
The space between the jacket and hard steel- forgive me for not knowing the correct term, but isn't this a technique employed with "shaped" charges and AP ammunition?  Also thinking out loud, the differential hardness of the steel core coupled with the divider should at least encourage partition into two portions even if not as many as expected with fragmentation.

In any event, what medic said.  Entrance wound may be small, but if the projectile is moving fast enough the permanent wound channel will be devastating, even without fragmentation.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine seems to be a bit more accurate than M-855, and it is hotter.

I will just put mine away and reserve for winter use where the
extra pressure will be an asset.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My friend shot some of this ammo last weekend, 2009 date. Temp in the 60's.
Some of the rounds had completely pierced primers and most had severely flattened primers.
One of the primers fused it's self to his titanium firing pin effectively melting the end off of it ending his day at the range.
Besides having to throw away the pin he spent over an hour cleaning the filth out of the rifle including a reddish color coating out of his battle Comp.

This ammo is totally useless IMHO, it is obviously over pressured to the point of causing malfunctions and possible damage.
Has anyone had any luck getting AIM to take it back?

I bought 2 cans of it before reading about the problems. What irks me is I could have bought GGG, some of the best for about $30 more per 1000.
I will gladly sell it to anyone who has no problems with it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My friend shot some of this ammo last weekend, 2009 date. Temp in the 60's.
Some of the rounds had completely pierced primers and most had severely flattened primers.
One of the primers fused it's self to his titanium firing pin effectively melting the end off of it ending his day at the range.
Besides having to throw away the pin he spent over an hour cleaning the filth out of the rifle including a reddish color coating out of his battle Comp.

This ammo is totally useless IMHO, it is obviously over pressured to the point of causing malfunctions and possible damage.
Has anyone had any luck getting AIM to take it back?

I bought 2 cans of it before reading about the problems. What irks me is I could have bought GGG, some of the best for about $30 more per 1000.
I will gladly sell it to anyone who has no problems with it.

View Quote

+1, I got about 950 rounds of it left.
AIM said they'd take it back for something else, but I had to pay shipping. It would not have been cheap so I'm keeping it for winter ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/24554000-C8A2-4FCD-84BD-C98EBFE3EA79-238-0000036EEFFE49CE_zps60e8fb62.jpg

Not sure what happened here. It actually bulges outwards instead of inwards like a normal primer strike.

I found these chunks in the bolt. I lost some but they looked just like this:
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/2FA2F1CB-8224-44D0-9B66-E2260F775FDF-238-0000036EF935C887_zps66a32086.jpg
View Quote

I didn't see if anyone commented on these pics, but those are signs of serious excess pressure!  The primer flowing back into the firing pin channel, looks like the primer nearly pierced.  As for the gold pieces of metal chunks, they look like chunks of blown out primers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#15]
holey smokes that case shows high pressure! The other pic shows pieces of primer that were stuck to the FP then let loose dropping into the rifle, I bet. Another sign of high pressure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#16]
deleted

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought that was from inhaling dust from frangible, "green" ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know what it says, do you know that for fact or quoting the website?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Says Berdan Primer
I know what it says, do you know that for fact or quoting the website?

Do you?  You seem pretty certain it's not.

"Better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.".
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]
deleted
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Wonder how it shoots suppressed, as gassy as it's supposed to be . . ?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I sent a note of concern on this ammo to AIM and received a reply from Bryan saying he would take some out to shoot and test. I copied this link explained there are serious quality and safety concerns. Have NOT heard back; these posts are scary and I sunk $375 into this ammo that AIM needs to do something about it for the Customers with bad experiences like you have, I have. SMOKY, NOXIOUS.

I WILL FOLLOWUP AS WELL.  MARK
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just cleaned the rifle and found out why I had the issues I just had. I found 3 chunks of what could only be blown primers INSIDE my bolt. The firing pin was jamming up against them, causing the binding and light strikes.

This is a full on 5.56 chamber and this ammo is simply too hot for it. I will be giving AIM a call in the morning.

I sent a note of concern on this ammo to AIM and received a reply from Bryan saying he would take some out to shoot and test. I copied this link explained there are serious quality and safety concerns. Have NOT heard back; these posts are scary and I sunk $375 into this ammo that AIM needs to do something about it for the Customers with bad experiences like you have, I have. SMOKY, NOXIOUS.

I WILL FOLLOWUP AS WELL.  MARK

did you ever hear back from AIM on this?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Order about 2 weeks ago from Aim Surplus

Shot today 20 NOV 14.
35-43 degrees
Sunny
Outdoors

Shot out of a PSA 14.5 Midlength with an AIM Surplus v2 NIB Bolt Carrier Group.  
Used Magpul PMag window and no window, Magpul EMAG, Hexmag (magazine loaders worked well on all mag types I used today)
25/300 sight in and 100 meter range
180/180 rounds fired
I was outdoors but did not notice any smell - only saw slight smoke when I rapid fired last twenty rounds.

Reached into drop bag of cases and grabbed these to take pictures of.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I shot 150 rounds of this ammo Thursday (12/4), lot 05-CG-10. I didn't experience any failures of any kind, none of the brass i inspected showed any signs of over-pressure, i didn't find it to be any more or less smokey than the Federal XM855 i also shot that day, nor did it leave my rifle any more fouled than the XM855. It was fairly chilly outside where i was shooting (mid-upper 30s), so whether or not that played a role in preventing excess pressure issues would be pure speculation on my part.

From my experience, it seems like ok stuff. That said, i doubt i'd buy any more based on the experiences others have had, and the availability of alternatives that are a known quality.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I shot 150 rounds of this ammo Thursday (12/4), lot 05-CG-10. I didn't experience any failures of any kind, none of the brass i inspected showed any signs of over-pressure, i didn't find it to be any more or less smokey than the Federal XM855 i also shot that day, nor did it leave my rifle any more fouled than the XM855. It was fairly chilly outside where i was shooting (mid-upper 30s), so whether or not that played a role in preventing excess pressure issues would be pure speculation on my part.

From my experience, it seems like ok stuff. That said, i doubt i'd buy any more based on the experiences others have had, and the availability of alternatives that are a known quality.
View Quote

how was its accuracy compared to the XM855?

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know if it had been said before, but the cases are not berdan primed, but semi-berdan. The primer is boxer and the case is berdan without the anvil.

By the way the price in the first post is 40% lower than the Swedish armed forces pay for it. That's why our ammo budget runs out in October...

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:54:20 AM EDT
[#26]
OK I get this is possibly an over pressured round and from the pic I saw of the bullet itself it has a strange looking cantalure.

So the question remains...Does this stuff fragment or just punch a hole? FMJ  rounds from 55 to 77 grain rely on the cantalure (and jacket thickness/hardness) as a weak point allowing it to burst open when the bullet yaws.

Has anyone seen or done some type of gel test with this stuff?

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was grouping as well as the XM855 was. Mind you, I didn't do any scientific accuracy testing, and all shooting was done offhand. But it's at least as accurate as i'm capable of shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've tested it
Fired 3 ten-shot groups at 100 yards using iron sights out of a Les Baer National Match
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/Wolf%20Grendel%20Steel%20Case/27ATestrifles_zps1cc1ece5.jpg

I thought it shot very well for ball ammunitionhttp://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/Wolf%20Grendel%20Steel%20Case/CarlGustav62grainthree10shotgroupswithLesBaerUNMat100yardswithironsights_zps12aa960d.jpg

Also they are correct in the projectile is different and longer than a typical SS109/M855 ball projectile.
From Left to Right
77 grain Sierra MatchKing, 62 grain Carl Gustav, 62 grain M855
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/Wolf%20Grendel%20Steel%20Case/14ALtoR77grainSierraMatchking62grainCarlGustav62grainSampBSS109_zpsd2d1cc10.jpg

Good looking stuff which shot very well

Averaged 3178 fps from a 20 inch Colt A2

View Quote

Was that the actual average from your chrony numbers, or is that the calculated muzzle velocity from your chrony numbers?  

If the former, then that is very hot for SS109 or M855!  

What distance was the chrony from the gun?  Temperature?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:51:14 AM EDT
[#29]
came across the results (well, the abstract of the results) of the medical tests of this ammo (NM229), its replacement (NM255) and SS109

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2013.187.1_MeetingAbstracts.A4515

result:  all the rounds tested caused increases in contamination and inflammation levels in blood and saliva.  there was no difference though in the contamination levels of the different rounds
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a quantity of rounds that I put out on the roof of my work shop to be exposed to the elements.  They bake in the sun, soak in the rain and are just exposed to the elements from the first can I purchased.  At the six month point I'm gonna shoot a few rounds to see how well it's holding up.
View Quote

It's been about six months since I placed a bunch of rounds out to weather.  They have baked though the summer heat, soaked in water and been frozen with a couple arctic blasts.  I have a few pics on my phone which I haven't bothered to download but they were in fine shape apart from developing a sort of dirty purple hue to the brass.  All of the dozen rounds I pulled off the shop roof shot just fine out of a Palmetto state AR, no duds and at 100 yards they were within a couple inches of the m193 I have it zerod for.  It was cold and rainy so I only looked for six of the empty cases and they showed no signs of over pressure or anything like that.  It was a pretty informal test but it satisfied me that this ammo isn't unreliable junk.  I left maybe a dozen rounds on the roof of the shop so maybe in another six months I will test it again.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#31]
found this on product guide from the manufacturer:

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Projectile weight

4 g

Muzzle velocity

930 m/s

Max. dispersion

S.D.<200 mm at 550 m

Penetration

NATO plate at 625 m

Service temperature

-54°C/+52°C

Safety temperature

-54°C/+71°C

so according to that, accuracy is <1.25 MoA @ 600 yds

http://www.nammo.com/globalassets/pdfs/ammobook/nammo_produktkatalog_2014_web.pdf

(page 15)
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Here are 2 fired cases of mine. One the primer is totally flattened and the case is stretched more. One thing to note that on the one where the primer is not totally flat, it is still more spread out than what I'm used to seeing, and that the primer has some flow back into the firing pin hole but not all around like the case on the left. For reference the case length of a fired Wolf Gold (Taiwan) 55gr cartrdige is 1.752".

These were fired in the warmer months (don't recall when). I haven't fired any during the winter, but I could and see what they look like then. The one on the left is defiantly over pressured.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
found this on product guide from the manufacturer:

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Projectile weight
4 g
Muzzle velocity
930 m/s
Max. dispersion
S.D.<200 mm at 550 m
Penetration
NATO plate at 625 m
Service temperature
-54°C/+52°C
Safety temperature
-54°C/+71°C

so according to that, accuracy is <1.25 MoA @ 600 yds

http://www.nammo.com/globalassets/pdfs/ammobook/nammo_produktkatalog_2014_web.pdf
(page 15)
View Quote

S.D. may not mean extreme spread. More like mean radius or standard deviation of distance from zero.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Interesting thread...
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd love to see results of terminal effect tests done. I had previously shot some through steel that stopped M855 and M193.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd love to see results of terminal effect tests done. I had previously shot some through steel that stopped M855 and M193.
View Quote

Cool to hear. I ordered some wanting to test if it is better punching through.  I still have my AR500 armor plate I tested M855 and M193 on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Cool to hear. I ordered some wanting to test if it is better punching through.  I still have my AR500 armor plate I tested M855 and M193 on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The manufacturer says that it out penetrates M855 at long range

It would be great to finally see a bare gel test of this

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#38]

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546504/carl-gustaf-556x45mm-nato-62-grain-steel-core-penetrator-full-metal-jacket-10-round-clips-in-ammo-can-of-1000?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-hotbuy-_-targeted_gustaf556_20150219_3-_-Main_Image

Meanwhile, on sale at Midway, for just $499.99...
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I got a notification from AIM about it for 399, but it's sold out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546504/carl-gustaf-556x45mm-nato-62-grain-steel-core-penetrator-full-metal-jacket-10-round-clips-in-ammo-can-of-1000?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-hotbuy-_-targeted_gustaf556_20150219_3-_-Main_Image

Meanwhile, on sale at Midway, for just $499.99...
View Quote

I like how they put it "on sale" so you can use any coupons
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:41:39 AM EDT
[#42]

nope

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#43]

That is AMA
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#44]
My estimation is that a solid steel composition, even the mild steel, is unlikely to fragment like lead will.  It might exhibit early yaw and tumble, like 5.45 though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I would really like to see how this performs against 1/4" and 3/8" AR500.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I get a chance....
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
When I get a chance....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I get a chance....

And bare gel too, please?

The manufactures literature says that it will penetrate 3.5mm NATO plate at 650 meters

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I get a chance....

Maybe over the summer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I find it surprising, given the bullet construction, that it was allowed to be imported.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I find it surprising, given the bullet construction, that it was allowed to be imported.
View Quote

Thats why I bought a can from Aim. No other ammo would I spend the $400 on. This ammo really intrigues me.

I forget where I read it, but apparently they actually harden the penetrator.... where as American M855 is apparently work hardened (no extra step of heat to harden it)
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top