User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could we get a function/ reliability report on the short tube set ups? The NEA Compact Carbine Stock set up is very nice. I am interested in the function with 300 and 5.56. "NOT 22LR". Thanks
View Quote

Check the AR pistol forum.  The NEA buffer assembly and modified bolt carrier looks VERY similar to the GSE 2nd generation pistol buffer assembly and modified bolt carrier.  The GSE 2nd gen has been around for a while, so it's probably been mentioned in the AR pistol forum.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
MY socks are off, any plans to put a check rest pad on the buffer tube?
View Quote

Yes, the plan is to use the same tube and essentially the same body as the NEA CCS.  This first one was just what I could build on manual equipment.  The proper thing would need to be CNC'd.

This is really cool, and well done. I think from a practical standpoint, you'll take a hit or two for not being able to adjust length of pull, but it's very cool.
View Quote

There is no reason the stock couldn't have some degree of OAL adjustability built into it.  Again, as a prototype I had to go with what I could build from the parts I had lying around.   Currently the LOP is a bit longer than the NEA CCS but it can be shortened up somewhat.  Just have to make sure everything works together.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Check the AR pistol forum.  The NEA buffer assembly and modified bolt carrier looks VERY similar to the GSE 2nd generation pistol buffer assembly and modified bolt carrier.  The GSE 2nd gen has been around for a while, so it's probably been mentioned in the AR pistol forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could we get a function/ reliability report on the short tube set ups? The NEA Compact Carbine Stock set up is very nice. I am interested in the function with 300 and 5.56. "NOT 22LR". Thanks

I can assure you the NEA CCS works very well with both 556 and 300 BLK.

Does the GSE 2nd Gen have any kind of anti-bounce weight inside the carrier?  If not I'd be surprised if it works hardly at all.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Does the GSE 2nd Gen have any kind of anti-bounce weight inside the carrier?  If not I'd be surprised if it works hardly at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem overly concerned with bolt bounce.  If you've got the proper spring rate, the only time bolt bounce can become an issue is with full auto, or if you've got brand new sticky gas rings.  I've got a couple bufferless SBR's, and one no-weight buffer in a DI-45 AR, and there are dozens of designs out there with no traditional dead-blow buffer that run like sewing machines.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never a hick-up, my first shot with it actually FTE I thought maybe my gas block needed adjusting, that was with a super. After loading up subtonics and making no adjustments to the GB it runs like a champ, not sure what the first time was, it works great.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This ought to knock your collective socks off.  :D

Something I have been working on.  Its still a prototype so no plans to make it  ...... yet.  But sometime in the future I'd like to produce it for sale.  Yes, the stock can be folded and unfolded with the mag in place and all the controls can be manipulated with the stock folded.  

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/Images/AR%20Underfolder%20006.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/Images/AR%20Underfolder%20008.jpg
View Quote

If this is some selfish way to gauge the market for your product..................... great job thats some creative shyt right there. adjustments are overrated
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You seem overly concerned with bolt bounce.  If you've got the proper spring rate, the only time bolt bounce can become an issue is with full auto, or if you've got brand new sticky gas rings.  I've got a couple bufferless SBR's, and one no-weight buffer in a DI-45 AR, and there are dozens of designs out there with no traditional dead-blow buffer that run like sewing machines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Testing on the original prototype showed the thing wouldn't run hardly at all without the anti-bounce.  The carrier would hit the back of the barrel extension and bounce backwards slightly.  Then the hammer would hit the back of the carrier and cause light strikes.  We tried a variety of spring rates and nothing worked.  As soon as an anti-bounce function was added the problem went away and the thing ran perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If this is some selfish way to gauge the market for your product..................... great job thats some creative shyt right there. adjustments are overrated
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something I have been working on.  Its still a prototype so no plans to make it  ...... yet.  But sometime in the future I'd like to produce it for sale.  Yes, the stock can be folded and unfolded with the mag in place and all the controls can be manipulated with the stock folded.  

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/Images/AR%20Underfolder%20006.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/Images/AR%20Underfolder%20008.jpg

Naw, it was just a craven need for self satisfaction by taking my dick out and waving it around to show you guys how impressive it is.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Testing on the original prototype showed the thing wouldn't run hardly at all without the anti-bounce.  The carrier would hit the back of the barrel extension and bounce backwards slightly.  Then the hammer would hit the back of the carrier and cause light strikes.  We tried a variety of spring rates and nothing worked.  As soon as an anti-bounce function was added the problem went away and the thing ran perfectly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brand new bolt/carrier/gas rings?   Sticky rings are about the only reason the carrier would remain back when it rebounded.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a 10 inch 7.62x25 pistol upper with the gas port at the 'pistol' location.  Cycling is very weak with factory ammo and a standard carbine buffer.  Dump the weights out of the buffer and it runs fine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Seekins Precision Aimpoint riser arrived today. That's all....no Aimpoint either.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/accessories/micro-t1-mount-standard-height.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very interesting. Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I ordered my NEA stock today. I plan on installing it on my ARES Shrike to give it that Para look. I'm not against machining down the bolt carrier, to accept the Spex buffer/spring, but does anyone know if the GSE pistol buffer system will fit in and function in the NEA/SPEX tube? If it works I may be able to use the GSE buffer without having to modify a $400 shrike bolt carrier.

Obviously I'll post pictures when it gets here
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well I ordered my NEA stock today. I plan on installing it on my ARES Shrike to give it that Para look. I'm not against machining down the bolt carrier, to accept the Spex buffer/spring, but does anyone know if the GSE pistol buffer system will fit in and function in the NEA/SPEX tube? If it works I may be able to use the GSE buffer without having to modify a $400 shrike bolt carrier.

View Quote

this just sounds bad ass
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

this just sounds bad ass
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this just sounds bad ass

Only if I can get it to run
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#17]
JP Rifles CTR-02 upper. Raptor by Rainer Arms and Aimpoint Micro Riser by Seekins Precision. No Aimpoint yet.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#20]

What, no Beowulf-X?

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
JP Rifles CTR-02 upper. Raptor by Rainer Arms and Aimpoint Mikro Riser by Seekins Precision. No Aimpoint yet.

http://forumbilder.se/DBINC/300hb-2014-10.JPG
View Quote

Really really nice man, loving your build it's going to be sick when it's done!

Are you planning to leave it two tone? It looks good like that i was just wondering.

Just for comparison here is my cheapo honey badger knock off...waiting on my tax stamp now:

p.s. if this is considered derailing the thread i will delete.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Please keep the pictures coming, love it.

This Honey Badger will be blacked out, upper and lower. Eventually I'll get there, but it will take longer than expected.

The build and the wait is part of the goal, otherwise I won't make it.

Hope SHOT Show will reveal more goodies for us.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#23]
A package with "stuff" has arrived.

Unfortunately the Noveske "Krink" flash hider was in the wrong threading. *sigh*

However, not sure I want it, not sure it "fits" the look...any other suggestions?

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#24]
More stuff...

Not sure I'll like it - don't on the H&K MR223 which I guess has a similar angle - but had to try the PDW style Magpul K2.

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#25]
So much look forward to testing this trigger.

Geiselle SD-3G

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What, no Beowulf-X?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What, no Beowulf-X?

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#27]
you will love the SD-3G
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#28]
So I swapped around some of my stocks and stuff and came out with this but lacking a trigger...

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Where is everyone getting these 6 and 7 inch barrels?  For those with custom barrels, what gas port sizes?

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So I swapped around some of my stocks and stuff and came out with this but lacking a trigger...

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Slayer-LongShot/media/IMG_4214_zps44996c07.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/Slayer-LongShot/IMG_4214_zps44996c07.jpg</a>
View Quote

two thumbs up
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where is everyone getting these 6 and 7 inch barrels?  For those with custom barrels, what gas port sizes?

View Quote

Guys name is listed early in the thread I don't recall now, $200 for the 6" 1:8 with gas tube, not bad for a custom cut barrel imo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 2:35:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got mine from my dealer who bought it from Lothar Walther, Germany.

Lothar Walther

I appreciate not everyone can do that, and it was an expensive option but I got what I wanted.

When asking for advice, this is part of the reply I got from LW.

"thank you for your interest in our products. The Honey Badger is indeed a nice and compact rifle system. However, as a barrel manufacturer we produce barrels per customer specifications and do not test fire or develop solutions for twist and gas port dimensions.

Our common twist rate for .300 AAC is 1:8 (203mm) but different projectiles might require a different twist rate. We can not recommend a specific twist rate over another, because it comes down to customer preference and application.

The same is true for the gas port Ø. It mainly depends on the weapon system / gas system length and pressure levels and directly affects the reliability and cycling operation of the gun. The best way would be to start small, e.g. Ø1,7mm.

A good gun smith can later increase the diameter until the cycle operation works flawlessly with the used loads. I can not guarantee proper functionality as this is a responsibility of the gun smith putting together the pieces!"

In the end I (Think) I went for Ø1,90port, however we drilled this bigger as we mounted an adjustable gas port, and wanted to have more gas to play with.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#33]
JPGS-8 JP Alu gas block mini .936

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#36]
what fore grip is that?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
what fore grip is that?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
what fore grip is that?
View Quote

I wish I could tell you.

I bought it at an exhibition in Germany. It's all made in metal, aluminium I suppose.

Liked it and as the show was closing I asked if I could buy it instead of them flying it back.

I think it was from Samson, but can't find it ono their webpage.

Took a while Before I understood how to mount it on the rail. I was thinking it was picatinny, but it screws directly into my JP Rifles rail. SWEET!!!

Not a big fan of fore grips, but this one I could get used to.

EDIT:  
Samson Evolution Vertical Grip - Short
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:57:43 AM EDT
[#39]
i'm looking for a compact one rhat can mount to a key mod
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Slayer-LongShot/media/IMG_4214_zps44996c07.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/Slayer-LongShot/IMG_4214_zps44996c07.jpg</a>
View Quote

I shot my x39 with the NEA stock installed.  The alluminum buttstock extension button has worn to a point where the stock collapses during recoil.  Anyone else have this issue  firing anything other than .223?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I shot my x39 with the NEA stock installed.  The alluminum buttstock extension button has worn to a point where the stock collapses during recoil.  Anyone else have this issue  firing anything other than .223?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, the stock latch is aluminum?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#42]
The VFG is a Samson Evolution VG - Short:  
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3551
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't good...I just got my stock in yesterday and slapped it on my Shrike. It's pretty bad ass looking but I've got to find a smith who can modify a Shrike BCG to function with the NEA stock.

A couple things I noticed. the stock had a pretty good nick in it fresh out of the box, but it'll be a shooter so whatever. The stock also only had 1 stock retention set screw on it's left side. The right side is drilled and tapped, there is a notch for the screw to go when the stock is fully extended, but no screw. I emailed them and they replied this morning saying that it isn't supposed to have a screw in both sides even though it is clearly machined to have a screw, I insisted they mail me one. If they don't I'll go buy one for $0.10, it's just not something I should have to track down. Third, the stock won't lock in the last notch, when fully closed, their machining is off here, I'll bust out a file and fix it. Next, there is almost ZERO staking of gas key to the bolt, just a slight nick where the staking should be. Finally, the good news is I ordered it on 9 Jan, received it on 23 Jan and it shipped via the Canadian carrier, no money was due from customs unlike if you ship it USPS.

All in all this is a super looking product, they got it 95% right and the missing 5% is all the "give a shit factor". They have a steller product, just needs a little more attention to detail to make it 100% correct.

ETA: I got a second reply, 2 set screws will be going out in the mail. very happy with that customer service.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
i'm looking for a compact one rhat can mount to a key mod
View Quote

Here is one to consider from BCM.  Vert grip demo begins at the 4:20 mark.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't dissassembled it yet, but I believe it's just a ar15 mag release button.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I haven't dissassembled it yet, but I believe it's just a ar15 mag release button.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is an AR mag release assy that has had the mag catch end machined down to roughly the same dimensions as the mag button.  It is made of alluminum where as a typical AR mag release is all steel.  Sounds like its time to get out the Dremel after the big brown truck delivers some stuff from brownells.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Huh, for a $400+ stock, you would figure they wouldn't cheap out on the one thing that keeps you from getting scope-eye.

And where the heck did they find aluminum mag catches?  Airsoft?  Surely they didn't pay to have those made that way?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It is an AR mag release assy that has had the mag catch end machined down to roughly the same dimensions as the mag button.  It is made of alluminum where as a typical AR mag release is all steel.  Sounds like its time to get out the Dremel after the big brown truck delivers some stuff from brownells.

<a href="http://s898.photobucket.com/user/aeroscout9/media/image_zps14b9e380.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac185/aeroscout9/image_zps14b9e380.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s898.photobucket.com/user/aeroscout9/media/image_zps14b9e380.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac185/aeroscout9/image_zps14b9e380.jpg</a>

Wow, that is sad. I'd email NEA, they responded the next morning to my concerns and are paying to ship a .10 screw from Canada to VA to make things right. How long have you had your stock? I know from talking to them today they are on their 2nd generation. I'll have to pull mine and see if it's aluminum... [ETA: mine's steel, it holds a magnet]

Modified to keep thread on track
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow, that is sad. I'd email NEA, they responded the next morning to my concerns and are paying to ship a .10 screw from Canada to VA to make things right. How long have you had your stock? I know from talking to them today they are on their 2nd generation. I'll have to pull mine and see if it's aluminum... [ETA: mine's steel, it holds a magnet]

View Quote

I'll probably just start a new thread and stop hijacking this one.  Honestly though, I would not have seen the NEA stock without this thread.  So, thanks OP.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'll probably just start a new thread and stop hijacking this one.  Honestly though, I would not have seen the NEA stock without this thread.  So, thanks OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1, this is how I found it.

Also, you should be able to just rotate your mag catch 180* and get a little more life out of it while you wait on your Steel unit to show up. Also, it's pretty amazing how little contact the mag catch makes with the stock, doesn't seem like it'll last in the long run. Better stock up on steel mag catches...
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top