User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Troll much, OP?

This thread is the equivalent of an auto forum thread where someone puts kerosene in a gasoline engine and then titles it "Broken Ford Engine."

You came here to stir up the pot and put a permanent thread title on the web to bash a company's near perfect track record.  

**And to the people that are saying that Knight's owners are "defensive," you bet your ass we are defensive.  Knight's is a site sponsor, and they're reputation with regard to the evolution of the AR platform is at stake when you post misinformation on the website.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This. Y'all need to chill out. If this was any other brand you wouldn't give a shit if the bolt is specified or just the extractor in the title.

Take the story for what it's worth, a very rare occurrence, where the shooter was underprepared for his proprietary system. For those that think their E3 bolts are good for life, realize that you'll want a spare just in case, especially because it's proprietary. Bad shit can happen to the most robust systems.

And stop witch hunting, just because a product you like has cons pointed out doesn't mean the op is here to troll or push an agenda. I wouldn't of worded the op like it is, but accusations of trolling are a stretch.

Let this teachable moment be a teachable moment, without the excessive defensiveness.
View Quote
Nobody is being defensive.  People are merely pointing out observations of the OP's posts.

OP states KAC has a bolt failure.

OP posts he has no idea what happened.

OP then posts its obviously an ammo related failure.  SO, which is it?

If the OP merely failed to word his title properly, but explained the event in detail clearly, that is one thing.  But when a few posts separate "I have no clue how this happened" to "yeah it was ammo", its just a bit odd.  

I'd venture to say that this failure, in any other platform would be identified as the SAME type of failure.  Would as many people care if it was Radical?  No.  This is an AR enthusiast forum.  We tend to, as a whole, gravitate toward items that have a good reputation and have a solid company backing them up.  Is that being a fanboy?  I think its more along the lines of being an educated and informed consumer.  So, to assume that a post about a failure of a Radical Arms rifle will get similar attention as a post about a KAC failure...that's simply not how this community operates.

Sorry.  This is not a KAC bolt failure.  Its an ammunition failure.  Regardless of your brand loyalty, its a misrepresentation of what actually occurred.  Add a few contradictory statements, and it makes even the most casual observer go "hmmm".  

Regardless, failures occur.  The shooter should have had a backup rifle or a repair kit on hand.  All of my 556 "blasters" are KAC.  I have spare parts on hand.  Common sense and experience have driven that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I think OP is clearly expressing that he feels that a milspec/standard extractor probably would not have been able to fail this way, and that it may be a design flaw. I think he might have a point. It doesn't mean the product is shifty or that your investment in a quality rifle is ruined. But if you have that type of bolt, you may want to avoid using reloads that might be over pressured.

...or it could just be one of those freak things. Probably KAC should look into it. But it isn't really fair to do that in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

KAC will replace your barrel for a fee if you need to.

The E3 extractor springs are much longer than the standard AR extractor spring, and the diameter of the coil itself is not that much thinner.
The E3 extractor springs are also under much less compression than the standard spring.
LMT also uses the same design in their 'enhanced bolt'.
View Quote
I was looking at buying two new SR15's at one time. Probably less than a year ago. I was going to sell my high end builds to jump on the bandwagon. Prior to making that mistake I emailed KAC about spare parts. I was told I'd have to buy a new upper to get a spare barrel, but bolts were available. I forget where now. That killed my interest entirely. Even if the bolt is 200,000 rounds strong, it does me no good after wearing down the barrel in 20,000. I'm not opposed to KAC, I love innovation, but until they offer replacement parts idc about would be perks. Will their bolt out last a LMT enhanced, a cryo treated 9310, or a S7 bolt? Idk, maybe, but I can have spares for all those and unlimited barrels to match, store, take off another gun, etc. Maybe they'll replace a shot out barrel, maybe not, but why not sell me one if they would? I don't think offering them my money was too much to ask. Can their upper be used with standard parts by replacing the barrel and bcg once their barrel is toast?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was looking at buying two new SR15's at one time. Probably less than a year ago. I was going to sell my high end builds to jump on the bandwagon. Prior to making that mistake I emailed KAC about spare parts. I was told I'd have to buy a new upper to get a spare barrel, but bolts were available. I forget where now. That killed my interest entirely. Even if the bolt is 200,000 rounds strong, it does me no good after wearing down the barrel in 20,000. I'm not opposed to KAC, I love innovation, but until they offer replacement parts idc about would be perks. Will their bolt out last a LMT enhanced, a cryo treated 9310, or a S7 bolt? Idk, maybe, but I can have spares for all those and unlimited barrels to match, store, take off another gun, etc. Maybe they'll replace a shot out barrel, maybe not, but why not sell me one if they would? I don't think offering them my money was too much to ask. Can their upper be used with standard parts by replacing the barrel and bcg once their barrel is toast?
View Quote
Yes, upper receivers used in the SR-15 can be used with non-proprietary barrels as well. Many people have re-barreled their SR-15s with non-E3 barrels.

However, should you shoot out the barrel, I have been told Knight's Armament will service the upper and replace the barrel. Of course, you would be buying a new barrel then.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
IDK man, I asked about this 2 years ago and they said they can do it for a fee.
FYI, they can only do the replacement/service to the new Mod2 series of rifles, and not the older Mod0 and Mod1, which is kinda a bummer for me since I prefer Mod1 and only have Mod1.
Also, we will see about the barrel life lasting 20k, as I have a rifle already at 14k.

There are plenty of options out there, KAC products is in no way the only answer.
Just like everything, you can choose whatever you like, and you have plenty of reasons to like what you picked.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't service previous models is killer too. Yet another reason they need to sell owners spare barrels at any time they want them. I'm not trying to hate, but the aspects I've mentioned I hate. Very cool rifles otherwise. I'm sure owners love them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can't service previous models is killer too. Yet another reason they need to sell owners spare barrels at any time they want them. I'm not trying to hate, but the aspects I've mentioned I hate. Very cool rifles otherwise. I'm sure owners love them.
View Quote
They can service old models. Someone was just talking about having a mk11 re-barreled. Do you also get mad because a car manufacturer won't sell you a spare engine?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:48:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I know it used to be the case and was stated by someone at KAC before but, couldn't a standard bolt have been used in the E3 barrel extension? IIRC, I was told yes but, not recommended for a prolonged period of time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Troll much, OP?

This thread is the equivalent of an auto forum thread where someone puts kerosene in a gasoline engine and then titles it "Broken Ford Engine."

You came here to stir up the pot and put a permanent thread title on the web to bash a company's near perfect track record.  

**And to the people that are saying that Knight's owners are "defensive," you bet your ass we are defensive.  Knight's is a site sponsor, and they're reputation with regard to the evolution of the AR platform is at stake when you post misinformation on the website.
View Quote
Ha, this is funny.  So KAC is immune to issues and above posting of said issues because they areva site sponsor?

Its their bolt that has issues here.  No one knows for sure if it was an off round as op gave no other indications of that.  Its also unlikely one round in that batch was loaded above spec without more given how ammo is mass produced.  

Couldvbe just a bad extractor?   The butt hurt is laughable
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. Y'all need to chill out. If this was any other brand you wouldn't give a shit if the bolt is specified or just the extractor in the title.

Take the story for what it's worth, a very rare occurrence, where the shooter was underprepared for his proprietary system. For those that think their E3 bolts are good for life, realize that you'll want a spare just in case, especially because it's proprietary. Bad shit can happen to the most robust systems.

And stop witch hunting, just because a product you like has cons pointed out doesn't mean the op is here to troll or push an agenda. I wouldn't of worded the op like it is, but accusations of trolling are a stretch.

Let this teachable moment be a teachable moment, without the excessive defensiveness.
View Quote
Boom, well said
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is why I sold my SR-15 Mod 0's upper...I wasn't a fan of anything proprietary.  And because of this some KAC Fan-boi castigated me for even considering this...I wish I could remember that's fool's name.  Anyhow, sold the upper to fund a suppressor and put an LE6940 upper on the SR-15 lower...it shoots like a laser.
View Quote
This has nothing to do with this thread. The failure wasn't caused by the part being proprietary and this happens all the time to every gun maker out there. You know that scars,fals,mp5's,hk416 and 417 all have proprietary parts? All have extensive military and law enforcement use. Just because an Sr-15 is built on the ar-15 design doesn't mean that they should stick to the same formula of making the gun. They found a way to improve it and make it more reliable. They did this with Eugene stoner at the helm I might add. Anyways op ..that sucks that this happened. Thanks for posting the pics.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

KAC/LMT bolts rarely fail, this is certainly the first I've seen in many years of running classes. Therefore it is interesting to share.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

KAC/LMT bolts rarely fail, this is certainly the first I've seen in many years of running classes. Therefore it is interesting to share.

the bolt didn't fail, are you trolling or just being ignorant?

Your trying to play the fanboi card yet you cant actually describe the problem, or make a justified argument, just circular retorts

It doesn't matter if the part is proprietary or not, having spares for critical parts is dependant on the user. If the part wasn't proprietary and you happened to be separated and not in a class, you would still have the same problem, probably worse.

Quoted:

I'm no stranger to what actually went on, and yes, I know it's not a bolt issue,
You actually have no clue, and if your a "trainer" in any way you should stop.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Go buy some spare parts, you peasant
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So here we go..These are my .02 so take it for what its worth.

1. If you have chosen a specific rifle system, it's not unreasonable to have spare replacement parts for that system. Depending on others to have repair parts for YOUR rifle is a tad irresponsible. Its like saying "My scar broke and these colt parts wont work with it". Get where I'm going? Things happen in classes and on the range. A lot of those situations are outside of our controls. Keeping spare/backup parts to fix any possible situation is always the best bet. I generally keep a spare parts kit for each rifle I own. This way I can manage my personal inventory when it comes time to maintenance each system.

2. Any KAC issues please email myself, Jack or our Customer Service Department. We are nice people and would at least like the chance to help. But without reaching out to us, we are unable to help.

3. Stop the dog piling. This thread is going the way of a dumpster fire instead of being a source of helpful knowledge.

4. Ammo can do some strange things depending on the quality and conditions.

5. Spare Parts availability isn't an issue. You can get them from Operation Parts, KAC Direct, or any of our other Dealers. When it comes to barrels and other major parts. You always have the option to send it back here to the factory. Rebarreling a rifle isn't a common thing but if you want it done, than we can do it for you.

Hope this helps everyone.
View Quote
since youre here and this thread is already going and i dont want to open up another one to ask

Any particular reason for not selling the barrels on their own?

I have a sr15 coming to me in the near future and already have a spare bolt for it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Do you work or speak for KAC ?

Quoted:
Troll much, OP?

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So here we go..These are my .02 so take it for what its worth.

1. If you have chosen a specific rifle system, it's not unreasonable to have spare replacement parts for that system. Depending on others to have repair parts for YOUR rifle is a tad irresponsible. Its like saying "My scar broke and these colt parts wont work with it". Get where I'm going? Things happen in classes and on the range. A lot of those situations are outside of our controls. Keeping spare/backup parts to fix any possible situation is always the best bet. I generally keep a spare parts kit for each rifle I own. This way I can manage my personal inventory when it comes time to maintenance each system.

2. Any KAC issues please email myself, Jack or our Customer Service Department. We are nice people and would at least like the chance to help. But without reaching out to us, we are unable to help.

3. Stop the dog piling. This thread is going the way of a dumpster fire instead of being a source of helpful knowledge.

4. Ammo can do some strange things depending on the quality and conditions.

5. Spare Parts availability isn't an issue. You can get them from Operation Parts, KAC Direct, or any of our other Dealers. When it comes to barrels and other major parts. You always have the option to send it back here to the factory. Rebarreling a rifle isn't a common thing but if you want it done, than we can do it for you.

Hope this helps everyone.
View Quote
It is kinda hard to pull the trigger on buying a spare $210 bolt when the one you have is supposed to (and probably will) last a lifetime but shit like this does happen so as much of a disaster as threads like this can be, I think it is a good lesson in terms of owning spare parts.  It would be nice if standard bolts would work in y'alls extensions but you can't have it all i guess.  Out of curiousity, have y'all ever sheered a lug or snapped a bolt and what was the round count?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Misleading thread title and unnecessary arguing in technical forum.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top