Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/14/2016 2:49:30 PM EDT
So I have been slowly building a new rifle and so far have built with Noveske parts.  I have a Noveske Gen 1 lower and Noveske MUR upper with 13.5" NSR rail.  I am still having a hard time convincing myself to spend $450 on a Noveske barrel as much as I would like to have a "Noveske" rifle.  I intend this to be a true top tier rifle build intended for hard use for carbine classes and possible HD duty.  Absolute accuracy is not the primary goal of this rifle.  Reliability, service life, and "battle accurate" are the goals of this build.

Right now I am looking for a 14.5" or 13.7" barrel that I can pin to a legal 16".  There are so many options out there right now that it is hard to gauge where my money would be best spent.  DD CHF, Spikes CHF, Rainier Arms CHF, FN CHF?  Stop complaining and just save for the damn Noveske?  I am trying to stay away from SS as absolute accuracy is not my primary concern and I would like to have as long a service life as possible (even though I know it will be years before I shoot out a SS barrel).

Which way to go on this one?

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a hell of a lot of good barrels out there for less than $300, just do some looking!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
LaRue for $225.  You. Are. Welcome.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I would second the Larue deal. But I noticed you aren't looking for SS. There are a ton of barrels that would work great for you. I do have a 14.5 1/8 mid length gas pencil profile Faxon in unfired condition I'll sell you. It even has the Faxon light weight gas block and a black nitrite gas tube for $200 shipped. Shoot me an IM if you're interested.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Faxon
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would second the Larue deal. But I noticed you aren't looking for SS. There are a ton of barrels that would work great for you. I do have a 14.5 1/8 mid length gas pencil profile Faxon in unfired condition I'll sell you. It even has the Faxon light weight gas block and a black nitrite gas tube for $200 shipped. Shoot me an IM if you're interested.
View Quote

Buy that faxon barrel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]
You could look for a Colt 14.5" Socom barrel.   They are usually less than $240 and Molons testing shows them to be accurate.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The Noveske's are damn nice and great shooters but for a 13.7" the Infidel barrel is a pig!!  I'm doing mine over and sold the infidel for a DD LW that'll get chopped and pinned at Adco..............

Rainier has the 13.7 Rock Creek barrels that are 5R rifling for $299 in either carbine or mid flavors, also try Weapon Outfitters as they have BA Hansen 13.7's & 14's with pinned lo pro for just over $200
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
In that price range and for its intended use, I would look for one of the FN-made barrels from one of the major vendors.

My first pick is a Spike's "Optimal Profile" CHF, 14.5" or 16".

I have two of these, great shooters, consistent grouping.

Its one of the very few barrels I would even consider spending over $200 for in today's market.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike_s_Tactical_14_5_5_56mm_Mid_Length_COLD_HAMM_p/sp-sb51406-ml.htm
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Do the 13.7 with that 13.5 NSR because you'll fucking love it and it's perfection!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#10]
A CHF from Spikes or DD is what I would use in your situation. I have a Spikes 16in CHF mid and it is as accurate as any barrel I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.  I have lots to think about now.  Lots of good suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In that price range and for its intended use, I would look for one of the FN-made barrels from one of the major vendors.

My first pick is a Spike's "Optimal Profile" CHF, 14.5" or 16".

I have two of these, great shooters, consistent grouping.

Its one of the very few barrels I would even consider spending over $200 for in today's market.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike_s_Tactical_14_5_5_56mm_Mid_Length_COLD_HAMM_p/sp-sb51406-ml.htm
View Quote

Love my two. They shoot fantastic for what they are.

But a LaRue for 225.00 is a hell of a deal right now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The few Rainier Mountain Series barrels I've used shoot pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Spikes all the way... Colt SOCOM is medium contour, but still a good choice. Larue stealth is heavy profile, so not ideal for your build.

I own or have owned all of the above, so not just parroting what I read on the interwebz.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This x100. Go look at the 1MOA all day thread. It should convince you if you have any doubts
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Bravo company, you wont be disapointed
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I swore that my next bbl would be a BCM enhanced light weight but I think Faxon might be the way to go.

Another vote for Faxon

ETA-Do yourself a HUGE favor. Don't pin anything to a 14.7" bbl. Just get a 16" bbl. Pinning a bbl greatly limits your options and ability to try future muzzle devices, possibly swap rails etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This x100. Go look at the 1MOA all day thread. It should convince you if you have any doubts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This so the best DEAL going at the moment.

All the other suggestions are solid as well.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can somebody tell me about the construction of the Larue barrels?  There is not real info on the website.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
this is what I would do right now.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#23]
So does anybody have the info on the construction of the Larue barrels?  Are they SS?  Melonite.  CHF?  Chrome lined?  There is virtually no info on their site except for they shoot sub MOA.  I am definitely interested, but would like more details.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Just bought a 20" Larue Stealth barrel. Could not ignore all the accuracy claims any further.
Hope it is a shooter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just bought a 20" Larue Stealth barrel. Could not ignore all the accuracy claims any further.
Hope it is a shooter.

It'll come off this rack ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/IMG_5433_zpsjdh2udmh.jpg

So could you tell us what type of barrels these are, at least the big picture.  Are they SS, Melonited, CHF, Chrome lined?  Approx service life?  Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Nothing like teasing the buyer. LOL
I am sure it will be a great barrel and a shooter as long as I do my part.
Look forward to getting it and thank you ahead of time.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They are made inhouse here at LaRue and we back what we make.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope it is a shooter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/IMG_5433_zpsjdh2udmh.jpg

So could you tell us what type of barrels these are, at least the big picture.  Are they SS, Melonited, CHF, Chrome lined?  Approx service life?  Thank you!

All well and good.  Could you give me a big picture on approximate service life of the stealth barrels.  I am looking for reliability and longevity over absolute accuracy...but if I could get the best of both worlds...sweet!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]
What flash hider that u stock would u recommend to bring a 14.5" barrel to 16" when pinned?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#32]
A plain old A2 works fine, but the Battlecomp is the teets IMO.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plain ole A2 won't get me to 16"

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, use the BCM one, its made for that, I have one on a Rainier MS 14.5, perfect.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a Green Mountain SS Fluted 20" .223 Wylde that shoots absolutely fabulous.  I highly recommend GM.  

I know Faxton also makes great barrels.  They seam to be one of the more popular barrels right now.  I might buy one of their 16" 300BLK pencil barrels. Deciding between that, a GM 16" 300BLK, or a DPMS 16" 300BLK w/ barrel nut and front sigh.  Tough decision.

Those would be my suggestions. I promise you will be happy with either.  The reason I chose the GM is because they guarantee accuracy or they will exchange the barrel, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So I have been slowly building a new rifle and so far have built with Noveske parts.  I have a Noveske Gen 1 lower and Noveske MUR upper with 13.5" NSR rail.  I am still having a hard time convincing myself to spend $450 on a Noveske barrel as much as I would like to have a "Noveske" rifle.  I intend this to be a true top tier rifle build intended for hard use for carbine classes and possible HD duty.  Absolute accuracy is not the primary goal of this rifle.  Reliability, service life, and "battle accurate" are the goals of this build.

Right now I am looking for a 14.5" or 13.7" barrel that I can pin to a legal 16".  There are so many options out there right now that it is hard to gauge where my money would be best spent.  DD CHF, Spikes CHF, Rainier Arms CHF, FN CHF?  Stop complaining and just save for the damn Noveske?  I am trying to stay away from SS as absolute accuracy is not my primary concern and I would like to have as long a service life as possible (even though I know it will be years before I shoot out a SS barrel).

Which way to go on this one?

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/rxer311/IMG_1208_zpsaqc3l2pr.jpg
View Quote

I would buy a Criterion chrome lined, match grade barrel for $260. Accurate and a much longer lifespan than match stainless...
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope it is a shooter.

Somehow we still don't know the specs...
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I found this posted on another site.  Supposedly it was on the description of the Stealth upper.

I am not sure if it's still an accurate description of the Stealth barrels LaRue is selling now.  That's probably something Mark can answer if he wishes to...

"barrels: Unless you request bead-blasted stainless, our barrels arrive ION Bonded in black. Ion Bond coating is roughly 5-millionths of an inch thick and roughly 90 Rockwell in hardness (harder than hard-chrome). It won't chip, peel, corrode, and is heat-resistant to over 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. LaRue Stealth Barrels are Wylde-chambered in 5.56mm, 1-in-8 twist polygonal rifling in medium-weight contour using LW-50 Stainless. In the late 1980's, it was realized that there were erosion and short barrel-life problems with 416 Stainless in the calibers operating at 65K psi. 410 Stainless also had issues. LW-50 became the answer. LW-50 lacks sulphur, which in high quantity, created short throat-life in other Stainless Steels. LW-50 can also be heat-treated to a point that makes it near-optimal in all forms of rifle barrels. LW-50 has been proven for over 15 years, in military and civilian uses ranging from sniper, tactical, target, and other high-performance applications where long life and accuracy are critical"
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

This....  you'll thank us...
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I found this posted on another site.  Supposedly it was on the description of the Stealth upper.

I am not sure if it's still an accurate description of the Stealth barrels LaRue is selling now.  That's probably something Mark can answer if he wishes to...

"barrels: Unless you request bead-blasted stainless, our barrels arrive ION Bonded in black. Ion Bond coating is roughly 5-millionths of an inch thick and roughly 90 Rockwell in hardness (harder than hard-chrome). It won't chip, peel, corrode, and is heat-resistant to over 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. LaRue Stealth Barrels are Wylde-chambered in 5.56mm, 1-in-8 twist polygonal rifling in medium-weight contour using LW-50 Stainless. In the late 1980's, it was realized that there were erosion and short barrel-life problems with 416 Stainless in the calibers operating at 65K psi. 410 Stainless also had issues. LW-50 became the answer. LW-50 lacks sulphur, which in high quantity, created short throat-life in other Stainless Steels. LW-50 can also be heat-treated to a point that makes it near-optimal in all forms of rifle barrels. LW-50 has been proven for over 15 years, in military and civilian uses ranging from sniper, tactical, target, and other high-performance applications where long life and accuracy are critical"
View Quote

These are specs for a good shooter...combined with the reputation of quality and accuracy.

That's what we're looking for, not to steal a recipe, but specs are helpful to match the right barrel with its intended use.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
^^^

You pile the ammo up, I'll pile the barrels up.
View Quote

Bought my second 20" stealth...just for the dillo dust of course [:D
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I am anxiously awaiting my Dillo Dust. Oh and the 12" stealth shouldn't be too shabby either
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Do you think telling the wife we are out of Dillo dust, so I HAD to order something, will keep me out of the doghouse?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do you think telling the wife we are out of Dillo dust, so I HAD to order something, will keep me out of the doghouse?
View Quote

It is worth a try. After all, Dillo Dust and a new barrel are worth the dgohouse
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Can somebody tell me about the construction of the Larue barrels?  There is not real info on the website.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This! Seriously, what's with the zero info about their barrels? Buying on faith and a good deal is all well and good but a little info would be appreciated.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This! Seriously, what's with the zero info about their barrels? Buying on faith and a good deal is all well and good but a little info would be appreciated.

-Stooxie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Stooxie

Have to agree, its not like they are making anything that isn't being made elsewhere...however their quality control is fantastic.

Seriously, LaRue does not need to be so secretive with their specs...if I can't know what I'm buying, they can't sell it to me.

Just make high quality hardware and stand behind it.  The cloak & dagger is not needed, and is actually a turn-off.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top