User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, I've always known they were nice, the sale finally was in sync my wallet
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great shooting!
Yep those Larue barrels are nice.

Thanks, I've always known they were nice, the sale finally was in sync my wallet

I'll eat beans and drink cheap beer for a month if I have to  
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great shooting!

The question is will you give up beer all together for a month?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great shooting!

As long as I can dip into my whiskey supply then I can make it happen
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
damn, I knew this sale was going to get me sooner or later. ordered a 20" stealth barrel...

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Mark, are the gas ports in your barrels purposefully drilled in a groove or are they drilled at random?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We drill them randomly, choosing each day's number randomly from a randomly picked  random UHFO thread. What's up Mr. Hate ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mark, are the gas ports in your barrels purposefully drilled in a groove or are they drilled at random?

We drill them randomly, choosing each day's number randomly from a randomly picked  random UHFO thread. What's up Mr. Hate ?

Tech forum discussing technical aspects of barrels.

In this thread we're talking about your barrels and Krieger barrels.

No hate, just an honest question.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Mark, feel free to quote my "hate" posts.

Unless the discussion of facts counts as hate, I believe you are mistaken.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Whatever bub, that's the thing about you guys, you want to be a pain in someone's ass, but you're not sure why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever bub, that's the thing about you guys, you want to be a pain in someone's ass, but you're not sure why.

I appologize for asking direct questions about your product.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looking at the first page of the 1 MOA All Day thread, Kreiger isn't even a strong contender
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faced with 100 barrels from which to choose, all else being equal, who here would not be biased towards the barrel that shot the smallest 3-shot group?  Who would grab the barrel with the largest group and be happy with it?

Who here thinks that LaRue barrels don't shoot smaller 3-shot groups than most other barrels?  Who here thinks that LaRue barrels shoot itty-bitty 3-shot groups, which open up to thoroughly average 10-shot groups?

Small n values mean less statistical power, but not no statistical power.

I think the question in this thread is do LaRue barrels shoot better than Krieger barrels.

Some hard data comparing the two would be a starting point.

Looking at the first page of the 1 MOA All Day thread, Kreiger isn't even a strong contender

How does Krieger fare in other venues for accuracy?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Personally, I could care less
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. Is the point of buying a barrel to win the Arfcom MOA challenge? I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faced with 100 barrels from which to choose, all else being equal, who here would not be biased towards the barrel that shot the smallest 3-shot group?  Who would grab the barrel with the largest group and be happy with it?

Who here thinks that LaRue barrels don't shoot smaller 3-shot groups than most other barrels?  Who here thinks that LaRue barrels shoot itty-bitty 3-shot groups, which open up to thoroughly average 10-shot groups?

I think the question in this thread is do LaRue barrels shoot better than Krieger barrels.

Very poor logic, there, sir.   Unless people are actually entering this form of competition with an equal number of Kreiger barrels, and the shooters have equal skills, the data is absolutely worthless for such comparisons.  All the data tells me is that Larue makes barrels that do perform well in the hands of good shooters.  It does not tell us how the same shooter would have fared with a Kreiger barrel, or any other barrel under the same conditions.

As to other competition, I note that in International Bench Rest competition at the national championship level, Kreiger seems to be a pretty dominant player.  Top 20 finishers in national competition last year by barrel maker in order of finish:

Kreiger
Krieger
Krieger
Krieger
Brux
Brux
Lilja
Krieger
Lilja
Krieger
Rock Creek
Krieger
Hart
Krieger
Lilja
Bartlein
Lilja
Krieger
Broughton
Rock Creek

International Bench Rest is probably the most demanding shooting sport in terms of absolute precision in barrel manufacturing as those barrels on the rifles at the top of the rankings are shooting aggregate groups very much tighter than anything we are seeing in the MOA challenge.  And, because they can use methods of supporting the rifle (depending on the class) that may be more restrictive than allowed in the Challenge, the results are perhaps a better indicator of barrel performance.  The winner in Light Varmint shot a five group aggregate, five shots per group of .1556" at 100 yards with a Kreiger barrel.  In the Sporter Class, even lighter rifles, the winner shot .1666" aggregate at 100 yards, also with a Kreiger barrel.

Perhaps the most valid conclusion to be drawn is that not many people here with Kreiger barrels are entering the MOA Challenge, because either they are not interested in this form of competition, prefer some other demonstration of their barrel performance, or that, for whatever reason, there just aren't as many Kreiger barrels being sold/   Regardless, the sanctioned, refereed national benchrest results, suggest that Kreiger barrels are extremely good. FWIW, my AR precision barrel is a Recce 16" Lilja, so I have no direct "dog in the hunt" as between Larue and Kreiger.  I do own other products from Larue and hold them in high regard.  I'm not diminishing the quality of Larue barrels.  I am saying that efforts to diminish the quality of Kreiger and other barrel makers cannot be supported by data from the Challenge rankings.  That is a very flawed statistical method.  Good for marketing, though.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His reply is an answer.  The ports are drilled, if they fall in a land or a groove isn't taken into consideration.

I wouldn't expect Krieger-level attention to detail in a $225 barrel.

I picked up a stealth barrel.  It'll be compared against a rainier ultramatch and a rock creek barrel.  10 shot groups.  I've just got to buy some decent glass for the stealth-barreled rifle before I can do it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Stick a scope in yours and report your findings.

ETA - and get yourself a QD mount and mount one of your scopes in it and voila
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His reply is an answer.  The ports are drilled, if they fall in a land or a groove isn't taken into consideration.

I wouldn't expect Krieger-level attention to detail in a $225 barrel.

I picked up a stealth barrel.  It'll be compared against a rainier ultramatch and a rock creek barrel.  10 shot groups.  I've just got to buy some decent glass for the stealth-barreled rifle before I can do it.

Stick a scope in yours and report your findings.

ETA - and get yourself a QD mount and mount one of your scopes in it and voila

I expect it to do quite well.  As to the scope/mount, I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
^^^

By sticking a scope in it, I was referring to a bore scope
long enough to see the gas hole.
View Quote

I have to save my pennies to buy glass that goes on top so spending $500-$800 for a bore scope is out of the question for now.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#32]
You guys are still arguing this? This is ARFCOM, the proper answer is to get both.

Krieger in the rifle, Larues on deck and in the hole.

Barrels are wear items, try both. The Krieger above is this rifle's 4th barrel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well then I'll just tell you, you would have found the gas hole is to be dead middle of the groove. It was Mr.Hate's attempt at finding something, anything to hate about.
But alas, gas holes in grooves vastly improves getting the bullets out of the barrel without mauling one side of them.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^

By sticking a scope in it, I was referring to a bore scope
long enough to see the gas hole.

I have to save my pennies to buy glass that goes on top so spending $500-$800 for a bore scope is out of the question for now.

Well then I'll just tell you, you would have found the gas hole is to be dead middle of the groove. It was Mr.Hate's attempt at finding something, anything to hate about.
But alas, gas holes in grooves vastly improves getting the bullets out of the barrel without mauling one side of them.  

Without access to a borescope, one can use the poor man's method of spotting the gas port's location within the bore.

Gently insert a toothpick into the gas port, look into the bore from the muzzle end and observe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Krieger's reputation for excellent barrel blanks is rock solid.  

It's the getting blanks from a blank to a turned and well-centered, precisely chambered, gorgeous barrel that a price conscientious AR guy will be happy with ... there-in lies the rub.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Krieger's reputation for excellent barrel blanks is rock solid.  

It's the getting blanks from a blank to a turned and well-centered, precisely chambered, gorgeous barrel that a price conscientious AR guy will be happy with ... there-in lies the rub.

Couldn't agree more. I would argue that the work involved in finishing the blank into a complete barrel is more important than rifling the blank. Doubly true for an AR barrel since there is more involved.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Okay. Is the point of buying a barrel to win the Arfcom MOA challenge? I'm not sure what you're getting at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Krieger seems to dominate in the high power world.

Mr. LaRue, if you can get me a 20"  threaded barrel with an approved profile for high power competition (I honestly don't know what the rules on this are), I can get it in the hands of a high master / distinguished  high power / service rifle shooter to test against his issued Krieger barrels. I believe they use set screw style FSBs on match barrels, so it wouldn't need a pinned FSB. Then we could see how it does with irons and a really good Indian out to 600 yards.

Just a thought

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Slap a scope on some of them whiz-bang high-power rifles and drag 'em on down to the 1 MOA shoot.  

I'll drink iced tea and wait to see some posted results.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mr. LaRue, if you can get me a 20"  threaded barrel with an approved profile for high power competition (I honestly don't know what the rules on this are), I can get it in the hands of a high master / distinguished  high power / service rifle shooter to test against his issued Krieger barrels. I believe they use set screw style FSBs on match barrels, so it wouldn't need a pinned FSB. Then we could see how it does with irons and a really good Indian out to 600 yards.

Just a thought

Slap a scope on some of them whiz-bang high-power rifles and drag 'em on down to the 1 MOA shoot.  

It's funny you mention scopes. He noted that his team got scopes this year, 1-4x I believe. I guess that's the new thing in high power.

I'll see if he's interested in shooting the 1MOA challenge once he gets the scope installed. He's not an ARFCOMMER, nor a big internet guy.

Looking at the list, it's hard to believe that my once #14-15 spot is now down in the 30s. All them LaRue barrel entries are keeping me down.

#AllBarrelsMatter

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought

I think he is saying to take your barrel to real sanctioned and referreed competition.  Seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think he is saying to take your barrel to real sanctioned and referreed competition.  Seems reasonable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I would love to see how the Larue barrels would do in those competitions by truly skilled marksman, Mark's response is pretty reasonable. Taking the existing rifle and shooting some groups with them is much easier than rebarreling and seeing how it does throughout a season. Ammo is provided so 25 rounds to spare should be easy. 4.5X scope might not be the best, but who cares? It's just a fun shoot.

ETA: Speaking of issue ammo, I found 2 more boxes of this. Trying to decide whether I want to shoot it and deal with the moly coating.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:48:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As much as I would love to see how the Larue barrels would do in those competitions by truly skilled marksman, Mark's response is pretty reasonable. Taking the existing rifle and shooting some groups with them is much easier than rebarreling and seeing how it does throughout a season. Ammo is provided so 25 rounds to spare should be easy. 4.5X scope might not be the best, but who cares? It's just a fun shoot.

ETA: Speaking of issue ammo, I found 2 more boxes of this. Trying to decide whether I want to shoot it and deal with the moly coating.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/80DD419A-A78F-49F7-BFF0-216112FE31D6_zpsutccnjfd.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/80DD419A-A78F-49F7-BFF0-216112FE31D6_zpsutccnjfd.jpg

Ewwwwww, moly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"I think he is saying to take your barrel to real sanctioned and referreed competition.  Seems reasonable."

I got what he was saying, load ol' Mark down with an action item.  Since I'm a little busy,  do the inverse, drag those rifles to the MOA Challenge.
There's no difference, except me and my ice tea.
View Quote

Except for the sanctioned and refereed part.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"I think he is saying to take your barrel to real sanctioned and referreed competition.  Seems reasonable."

I got what he was saying, load ol' Mark down with an action item.  Since I'm a little busy,  do the inverse, drag those rifles to the MOA Challenge.

Which makes it official and unquestionable, versus joe blow in his backyard or at a range claiming to have acheived a certain MOA.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ewwwwww, moly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ewwwwww, moly.

You're right, maybe I'll just send them to Molon instead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread is a constant source of entertainment/amusement.  I don't think anyone can question that both barrels are top notch. So, in the absence of anyone being able to prove that one is consistently and measurably better than the other, I'm gonna sit here and wait for two more $225 kick ass barrels to arrive at my door.  I'd love to shoot a Krieger too, but not until I see some compelling evidence that it's worth the extra cash.  At some point if this argument is going to end, someone will have to agree on the standard by which the barrels are being evaluated.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You are a Joe Blow, buy an "on sale" LaRue barrel and get after the MOA Challenge, we trust you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which makes it official and unquestionable, versus joe blow in his backyard or at a range claiming to have acheived a certain MOA.

You are a Joe Blow, buy an "on sale" LaRue barrel and get after the MOA Challenge, we trust you.

Easy there buddy, I bought one of your triggers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top