Link Posted: 10/31/2005 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They breathe fire, hurt your ears and they are as long as a 16 inch barrel with an A2 FH.  Don't waste your time.  They have all the disadvantages of both the 11.5 and the 16 inch, and none of the advantages.

Never shot one have you

I have experience behind actual SBRs and on the line next to the knockoffs.

I have one I built and it has the same performance of a 16" barrel and it is nothing like you stated, have you ever owned one or shot one?

Firstly, its impossible for the performance to be the same. Unless you 16" is shot out. Yes, I have time behind SBRs.

You should shoot this sometime from a wooden box thats just wide enough to go prone in. It will change your mind!

Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]

The weapon you are showing isn't a 11.5 w/ 5.5" FS, so the comparison is rather flawed, and I don't think he was trying to say that bullet performance is the same, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The weapon you are showing isn't a 11.5 w/ 5.5" FS, so the comparison is rather flawed, and I don't think he was trying to say that bullet performance is the same, but I could be wrong.

Yes, it is a little skewed.  But not much.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The thread is aout an 11.5" barrel and a 5.5" FS, not SBRs..... its not the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The thread is aout an 11.5" barrel and a 5.5" FS, not SBRs..... its not the same thing.

You are right.  the rifles you are talking about are just as loud, with more muzzle flash and they are still 6 inches longer.

ETA: The poster I was responding to was questioning my credentials. I understand that the original topic was not about SBRs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are right.  the rifles you are talking about are just as loud, with more muzzle flash and they are still 6 inches longer.

ETA: The poster I was responding to was questioning my credentials. I understand that the original topic was not about SBRs.

Your credentials?
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, I promised. Sendra rifle, J&T bbl, Bushmaster FS, Total Silence handguards.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Is my math suspect, or does 11.5+5.5= 17?  Why the extra inch?
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Because you have to screw the 11.5 into the 5.5, and you no longer equal 17"....
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have the DPMS Panther Carbine (Pre-ban) with the 11.5" bbl and 5.5' FH. I LIKE IT! It is an SBR, but with a longer permanently attached FH, thus making it  legal length. Never noticed the degree of loudness, but I can tell you that a 16" bbl with a Miculek is considerably louder. My next DPMS AR (AP4 Panther Carbine) is going to have the 16" bbl with a Phantom FH. This one is being built for a different purpose.

11/1/05 - Something to add:
I noticed the other day that the barrel is stamped "chrome line" just behind the FH. I called DPMS about the issue and they said that what I have is a chrome lined barrel. They do not know how I ended up with it without ordering the upgrade. Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your credentials?

My qualifications to speak about the topic at hand. I know that you know (and knew) exactly what I am talking about....
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it is a little skewed.  But not much.

Absolutely nothing in comparison to your photo as to what the thread is about, here are a few of my rifles on the table at the Virginia blastfest, the second rifle, third and forth are my rifles. Pay special attention to the second rifle in the photo from the front, that is a very old 5.5 flash suppressor on a 11" bushmaster barrel and it also has a H buffer and runs a full auto bolt carrier group with noting more than a standard gas tube.

Runs quieter than a standard 16" barrel and not one malfunction at all.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen that version of 5.5" FS before, and always wondered why they had made it.  Any ideas?

I don't see the 11.5 w/5.5 as louder than any 11.5" AR15/ M16 that I've ever used.  I can't tell if decent hearing protection is making the difference, or if people are hearing things.

I just don't see it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a 11.5 Bushy with a 5.5 Brake on it. It didn't seem any louder than any other AR 15 or M 16 I've ever shot or a GAU for that matter. Yes you lose some velocity. Good hearing protectors take care of the noise anyway. And if you're not wearing hearing protectors, you'll never notice the noise. Those who have been there and done that, know what I mean.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've seen that version of 5.5" FS before, and always wondered why they had made it.  Any ideas?

Attempted to find out more about it and never received a solid answer, I will ask the guy I received it from this month when I see him and ask more about it.

I am the type of person that digs into boxes of parts and gun shows to find different things and came up with it, darn thing surprised me as to it's efficiency of suppression.

I don't see the 11.5 w/5.5 as louder than any 11.5" AR15/ M16 that I've ever used.  I can't tell if decent hearing protection is making the difference, or if people are hearing things.

I just don't see it.

Depends on the weapon and ammunition, some are quite the sweet rifle and some have a clunky sound to them.

But I never have heard a rifle with a 5.5 louder than a standard 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Shooting indoors or next to walls is where you really notice the difference. Or next to someone. I think the extended flash suppressor acts as a bloop tube and redirects some of the noise forward. Thats all well and great so long as you're doing the shooting. The guy next to you may not like you after you start shooting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#19]
You are missing that some of us do this for real and fire weapons indoors, next to buildings, through barricades, and from vehicles.  

If you think its louder to your ears, then its louder to your ears.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion or whatever your ears tell you.  I've run enough firing lines where I don't see it, but a lifetime of being around explosions and shooting might make me a little less sensitive to it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
They breathe fire, hurt your ears and they are as long as a 16 inch barrel with an A2 FH.  Don't waste your time.  They have all the disadvantages of both the 11.5 and the 16 inch, and none of the advantages.

Not true.  

An upper with a 16 inch barrel is longer than one of these 11.5/5.5 barrelled uppers.  On the 16 inch gun, the barrel itself has to be 16 inches and then the A2 is installed, adding about 1&3/8 inches.  On the 11.5/5.5 upper, the barrel and suppressor are assembled, then the suppressor is pinned as to not be removable, thus the overall "barrel" length is just over 16 inches, I think they are about 16.25 or 16.5 inches.  The 16 inch barrelled uppers will be about 17 and 3/8 inches. This is possible because the suppressor is considered a permanent part of the barrel since it cannot be removed.  It's not much shorter, but it's about the shortest you can get without the paperwork.  

Same is possible for the Bushmaster M4 upper with the "Izzy" flash suppressor, it's a 14.5" barrel with a long-enough suppressor permanently attached to reach the legal length.  This is probably a better choice between the two, but I just can't help but really like the looks of the 11.5/5.5 upper!!  Gonna get one sooner or later.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because you have to screw the 11.5 into the 5.5, and you no longer equal 17"....

I guess that knocks about a half inch off and then you have a "safety margin".  Makes sense.  Thanks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top