User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 5:40:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am joking about beating the wife.
I'm a widower for going on 7 years and would never hit a woman unless as a last resort.

And I thought they meant about the...

A few more...

Mil-Std-1913 =  Picatinny = Standardized rail which is derived from older weaver rail to allow for uniform mounting platform on a variety of weapon systems and accessories to be mounted to said weapons...  Specs here: quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/mil-std-1913.pdf and quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/mil-std-1913-n1.pdf
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 1:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I learned something today.  Thanks  
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Any new abbreviations to add???
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any new abbreviations to add???

There are bunches that people have contributed that I need to add to the summary.  I've been away on travel and didn't have time to  incorporate them as they came in.  I'll try to update the list this weekend.

Thanks to all who have contributed!
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Something we've all been at one time or another...

FNG = Fucking New Guy (can be listed as F'ing New Guy for PC )
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#6]
BDC???
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BDC???

Bullet Drop Compensator
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
As one of the guys that have asked for this a couple of times in the past, thanks for compiling this list and PLEASE tack it and keep it current as new acronyms come into use. I'm sure eventually everyone will benefit from this once in a while.
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ABCs:  Major AR-15 manufacturer implied by Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt but would apply to DPMS, RRA, and Olympic Arms

I gotta disagree with that def. It's ABC in reference only to Armalite, Colt and Bushmaser. It's been expanded to include RRA thus ABC,R or some variation due to RRAs rep on this board. I feel it specifically exludes DPMS and Oly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WTF?????  hr

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Actually, the first post isn't being updated... why doesn't somebody that will update the 1st post start a new thread and take ownership... this is a great idea but we need someone that will get it updated and keep it that way to take ownership...

Yes it is being updated, and already has been updated a number of times.  If you read my post five posts above yours you will see why I didn't update it this past week.  Have some patience.
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
CCL = Concealed Carry License
CCP = Concealed Carry Permit
WECSOG = Wiley E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Front page updated.  Much more to follow.  If your contribution hasn't been included in the summary yet, please be patient.  I still have lots of work to do.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen the word "tagged" several times.  I'm assuming this is the same as Back to the Top?  If not, why is it used?

Thanks,
Dan
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#16]
It gets it on your active topics list so you can see when someone adds to it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
How about "TASC".
I own an RRA TASC carbine and don't know what the letters stand for.
The person at RRA I talked to didn't know either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Excellent summary - thanks for the detailed work!

Just one thought:

FTF is listed as Failure to Feed

But isn't it also the same as a "Type 1" malfunction - Failure to Fire

When I see FTF, my first thought is Failure to Fire

Similar problem to FTE (Failure to Eject/Extract)
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Front page is up-to-date with contributions through page two.  I still need to add page three's contributions.  This takes a while because I am trying to add explanations and links in addition to the basic translations.

In this update I added some basic information about the AR-15 variants (M16, M16A1, M16A2, M16A3, M16A4, M4, and M4A1)  Would someone with more experience than I have please double-check these for accuracy?

Some terms I haven't added since they aren't acronyms.  I'm not making a full glossary, although one might be useful if it doesn't already exist.
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Excellent summary - thanks for the detailed work!

Just one thought:

FTF is listed as Failure to Feed

But isn't it also the same as a "Type 1" malfunction - Failure to Fire

When I see FTF, my first thought is Failure to Fire

Similar problem to FTE (Failure to Eject/Extract)

Thanks for the kind words, gaijin.  I will incorporate your suggestion into the next update.

I guess it is okay for me to hijack my own thread, so... have you lived in Japan and, if so, when, where and for how long?
Link Posted: 7/5/2004 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the kind words, gaijin.  I will incorporate your suggestion into the next update.

I guess it is okay for me to hijack my own thread, so... have you lived in Japan and, if so, when, where and for how long?

11 years in Niigata and 4 years in Tokyo from 1978-1992.
Link Posted: 7/7/2004 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

11 years in Niigata and 4 years in Tokyo from 1978-1992.

Nice!  I am envious.  I assume that since you spent so much time there you enjoyed it.  On the down side, though, there isn't much opportunity for collecting and shooting firearms in Japan, let alone AR-15s.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread:  I have updated the front  page to include all acronyms submitted to date along with a bunch more I added myself.  Continued contributions and corrections are welcome.

Quoted:

How about "TASC".
I own an RRA TASC carbine and don't know what the letters stand for.
The person at RRA I talked to didn't know either.

Webby, I don't think anyone knows what RRA's TASC stands for.  I had enough trouble six months back just trying to get someone from RRA or its dealers to tell me exactly how the TASC differs from RRA's regular 16" CAR A2 model and why it is significantly less expensive.  I never did get an answer that was totally clear to me.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/7/2004 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm surprised no one has listed BC for Ballistic Coefficient.

Thanks to CJan_NH for donating his charging handle w/PRI latch for my first low-budget build. You rock.

Mid-length chrome-lined 1 in7  barrels in the Group Buy section!
Link Posted: 7/7/2004 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#24]
tack this please.
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
tack this please.

I don't have the power to tack threads, only moderators and site staff can do so.  However, you can achieve essentially the same effect for yourself by simply adding the first page of this thread to your bookmarks/favorites.    Right-click on the following link

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=192390

and then select "Add to Favorites.." if using IE,  "Bookmark This Link" if using Mozilla or Firefox.  (If you are using some other browser I assume you already know how to manage your bookmarks.)

On general note, the front page is again up-to-date with all contributions as of this post, plus a few more I added myself.

On a reptitive note, I again remind everyone that contributions and corrections are welcome, and if you come across an acronym you don't know that isn't listed here, post it here and I will try to figure it out for you.

And finally, on a useless trivia note, we now have entries for every letter of the alphabet except for "Z".  Does anyone have any acronyms they know that begin with "Z"?
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And finally, on a useless trivia note, we now have entries for every letter of the alphabet except for "Z".  Does anyone have any acronyms they know that begin with "Z"?

How about the "Z" on some AR windage knobs that stands for "Zero?"

Link Posted: 7/11/2004 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Front page updated with all new contributions submitted as of this post.  Additional detail added to some entries.

Thanks to the moderator or site staff who tacked this thread.  I hope it will be a useful resource and will do my best to keep it up-to-date.  Thanks also to everyone who contributed.  This list wouldn't be anywhere near as complete without all your help.

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about the "Z" on some AR windage knobs that stands for "Zero?"

Good suggestion.  It even came up in a thread today.  I added it as part of the update I mentioned above.  どうもありがとうございます、外人さん。  
Link Posted: 7/11/2004 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't think I saw Tango Uniform, or 'tits up' yet..

For the SF / PJ guys, TDY?  I know what it is, but what does the acronym stand for?
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

For the SF / PJ guys, TDY?  I know what it is, but what does the acronym stand for?

TDY stands for "Temporary Duty".  I'm not going to add it to the front page since I haven't seen it used here and it really isn't AR-15 specific.  I'm not trying to make a general list of all military acronyms.  That would be huge, and there are already plenty of  good lists of military acronyms already available.  Thank you anyway.
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's another one I just used:

IAD - Immediate Action Drill

Used to define various weapons manipulations performed instinctively in response to a weapons malfunction.

For example: Tap, Rack/Flip would be the IAD for a Type 1 Malfunction (FTFire)
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#31]
What's AWOB?
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TDY stands for "Temporary Duty".  I'm not going to add it to the front page since I haven't seen it used here and it really isn't AR-15 specific.  I'm not trying to make a general list of all military acronyms.  That would be huge, and there are already plenty of  good lists of military acronyms already available.  Thank you anyway.

Sorry for the hijack
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#34]
RINO get's a lot of use here.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#35]
MRE = Modular Rail Extension or More Real Estate (I'm not sure about this), made by KAC.
MRF = Modular Rail Forend, made by Troy Industries.
MRP = Monolithic Rail Platform, made by LMT.

Confused yet?  
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Good suggestions, all.  Thanks for the contributions.  I have updated the front page with them, and added a few more of my own.

Quoted:

Sorry for the hijack

You didn't hijack the thread, and there is no need to apologize.  You made reasonable suggestions in good faith, and I thank you for that.  I just felt they weren't quite suitable for this list and wanted to explain why I didn't include them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks Paul.  The acronym SHTF was already in the list, but I added your definition to it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Not sure if it's an acronym or not, but what is "bump" firing?
Thnx
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Not sure if it's an acronym or not, but what is "bump" firing?

It isn't an acronym.  Use Google or go here or here to find out more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks zrxc77,
I'd done it with my 1911s, but didn't know the word for it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Just an addition to WTF (What The F$*k) that we use frequently at work is, WTFO ? (What The F$*k... Over). Usually in response to seeing/hearing someone do/say something stupid or make a request that sounds equally as dumb. After which, the person doing, saying or requesting said stupid shit usually elicits a SMF (Stupid Mother F$*ker) response from the same observer.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Tough crowd you work with.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#44]
What are BDU? Seems a reference to pants of some sort. It's not on your list of military acronyms or the AR list.  Oh yeah and neither is PLDC which I came across on the first page today.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#45]
BDU - Battle Dress Uniform
PLDC - Primary Leadership Development Course (a course required for promotion to the rank of E-5)
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks.  I'm trying to keep it up to date.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Hearing way too much about IED's (Improvised Explosive Device) lately.
Might want to add that to the list.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#50]
FNG
Fucking New Guy
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top