BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 4:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Fluted Barrels

Cheek pieces (like on the "Delta" Colt AR15)

Colt 4x carry handle scopes
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Anything from KAC back when they were the only game in town for rail systems and other "SOPMOD Kit" goodies.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what comes around goes around

Hell, wood furniture could be the next fad.

Link Posted: 12/3/2008 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://skepticult.org/images/wood-ar.jpg

Link Posted: 12/3/2008 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh shit dude...just when I thought I'd seen it all
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
.... and I remember the time when I pretty much gave one away....  Colt HBAR...
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Can I get my wood stocked AR with a collapsable stock?
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can I get my wood stocked AR with a collapsable stock?

You'd need the LT-1369* buffer extension...

* "Little Termites - Unlucky Cocksucker" - Available Spring '09...  You're wood stocks will collapse, guaranteed...
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 4:51:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Co-witnessing optics.  A convenience that somehow became a must have for some
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Isn't that a "good thing"?
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#13]
SPR.
Already no longer cool, everyone wants a RECCE now.

RECCE.

I give it another year or so. Then something else will be the must have.

I'm an old duffer. Seen fads come and go. It's human nature to want change (no political pun intended).
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Flat Dark Earth color. Or whatever they try to call it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#15]
CHEAP AMMO!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CHEAP AMMO!!!!!!!

GOOD ONE!

I think that's a fad we won't ever see cycle around again.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#17]
fake IR illuminators
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's not confuse fads with true improvements.  The whole co-witnessing thing evolved out of US Army field implementation of red dot optics.  It is a tried and true improvement to the weapon system.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What happened to CMMG?

I will second this.  When I first looked at ars CMMG was THE go to company for ARs.  Every "what Ar should I get?" received multiple CMMG answers.

Now, not so much.

BTW I have a CMMG middy thats been great.

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#20]
What's always fascinated me is the "which is the best AR" thread.  When this board began it was Bushmaster or nothing.  Bushmaster was the most mil spec brand availible and nothing else would do.  I recall raging debates over 4140 vs 4150 barrel steel.  A non chrome lined bore was nothing short of heretical.  Those who owned pre-ban guns (remember the bad old days) were definitely a cut above the rest.  Colt was tolerated.  All others were consigned to the trash heap.  Then it became Armalite's turn.  Then Rock River.  Followed by Noveske.  Followed by who knows, I can't keep track anymore.  

The rule of thumb seemed to be, whatever a given poster had was absolutely the one and only brand to own.  Same with all the assorted aftermarket doo dads.  I if own it, it must be good.  

Black rifle owners are worse than teenagers when it comes to fads.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Flip out of the way red dot magnifiers

+1

Quoted:
Larue Mounts
PMAG's
KAC Rails
Troy sights
Noveske
6.8 SPC
Omega Rail
Arms SIR
90% of what Magpul sells
Bushmaster ACR and it isnt even out yet
Aimpoint T1
3 Pt Slings
IDF builds
Viper Clinic uppers
Lower 1/3 co-witness
Grip Pods
Mk12 Mod 0 builds
416 style sights
Piggy brakes
Cheap piston conversions

Noveske, Larue Mounts & Pmags are of the past and no longer cool? Never!
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Colt
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pistons

That's exactly what I was thinking....
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.....damn there you go.....The next fad...

I kinda like it . . .
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Larue Mounts
PMAG's
KAC Rails
Troy sights
Noveske
6.8 SPC
Omega Rail
Arms SIR
90% of what Magpul sells
Aimpoint T1
3 Pt Slings
IDF builds
Viper Clinic uppers
Lower 1/3 co-witness
Grip Pods
Mk12 Mod 0 builds
416 style sights
Piggy brakes
Cheap piston conversions

that pretty much describes the entire industry.

guess you better just stick to AK's.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wonder if a K.I.S.S gun will be the "IN THING" to have again???

YES...and AK-47

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dissipators

I bought one of those ugly bastages cheap because the guy built it and thought it was ugly (it is) he never shot it. Sold it to me at a ~400 loss it's still ugly as sin butt it shoots damn good.

Any they are perfect for mounting Spike's Tactical 37mm launchers!

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Buzz words
Snob terminology
acronyms

Not being able to type a sentence without using as many of the above as possible.

Kinda like a freshman in psych 101.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larue Mounts
PMAG's
KAC Rails
Troy sights
Noveske
6.8 SPC
Omega Rail
Arms SIR
90% of what Magpul sells
Aimpoint T1
3 Pt Slings
IDF builds
Viper Clinic uppers
Lower 1/3 co-witness
Grip Pods
Mk12 Mod 0 builds
416 style sights
Piggy brakes
Cheap piston conversions

that pretty much describes the entire industry.

guess you better just stick to AK's.

No kidding.  Here's your M16 clone (not A1, not A2, just M16) have fun with it (wait, retro fad).  Me?  I'll take my Magpul'd/Larue'd/T1'd LMT M4 and be over here thank you very much :D
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#30]

The cult of BUIS.

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dissipators

I bought one of those ugly bastages cheap because the guy built it and thought it was ugly (it is) he never shot it. Sold it to me at a ~400 loss it's still ugly as sin butt it shoots damn good.

honestly, if i couldn't own SBR's, "dissipator" type AR15's would be the only type i'd own.

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flip out of the way red dot magnifiers

+1

I still dig my eotech, but is there a better alternative to getting some magnification other than the eotech magnifier? I guess the ease of use thing (not needing to remove eotech) may be clouding my judgement rather than true quality. I ask as I'm considering the 3x magnifier and would appreciate any feedback from folks with experience of the 3x. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pistons

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#34]
the proliferation of 2point slings, magnifiers, pistons....
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Durocoated and/or Krylon-trash on a beautiful EBR (Evil BLACK rifle).  

Double points if the cammo theme is from the latest OCONUS skirmish (i.e., sandbox/A-Stan dessert tan) and you are in woodland Pennsylvania . . about 2, 000 miles from the desert southwest (not counting the Maryland beach shoreline).

Triple point if Kim Jong Il of N.Korea kicks off and you go out and buy black & white artic cammo paint to stay ahead of the other tacticoo wannabees, because you think the Korean peninsula might be the next military hot spot . . .
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#36]
almost forgot...

SUPPRESSORs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pistons

I have to agree....
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's not confuse fads with true improvements.  The whole co-witnessing thing evolved out of US Army field implementation of red dot optics.  It is a tried and true improvement to the weapon system.

Aimpoint has been in use for many years before co-witnessing came along, the wide spread use of flat top receivers is relatively recent, so is the general issue of backup sights (not carry handles). These developments were separate, I rather doubt Aimpoint, Colt and the various rear BUIS manufacturers got together and came up with a coherent idea of co-witnessing.  

So it was a discovery, and a convenience that I can't deny has its uses.  The problem I see is it somehow became a must have for some, it isn't.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aimpoint has been in use for many years before co-witnessing came along, the wide spread use of flat top receivers is relatively recent, so is the general issue of backup sights (not carry handles). These developments were separate, I rather doubt Aimpoint, Colt and the various rear BUIS manufacturers got together and came up with a coherent idea of co-witnessing.  

So it was a discovery, and a convenience that I can't deny has its uses.  The problem I see is it somehow became a must have for some, it isn't.

True...but I sure as hell appreciated having a co-witnessing BUIS on my M4 during my time in Iraq.  Seriously though, with the proliferation of flat top receivers and quality mounts, why not have a co-witnessing optic if you're running a red dot?  

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#40]
"platforms"
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Lets not forget a 16 in barrel with a low profile gas block and a rifle leanth rail.

Any AR that is not a militray configuration is a fad IMO.

so valid no fad ARs
a1
a2
a4
m4
m203

everything else is a gimmick

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True...but I sure as hell appreciated having a co-witnessing BUIS on my M4 during my time in Iraq.  Seriously though, with the proliferation of flat top receivers and quality mounts, why not have a co-witnessing optic if you're running a red dot?  

I certainly can't argue with a veteran that's been there and done that
I would like to have the convenience as well, I have 3 Aimpoints and an EOTech and have used co-witnessing to save time, I just don't 't put that on top of everything else, and it's not a requirement for me when purchasing a mount.  Between an excellent mount that does not co-witness and one that does but is so so with repeat or minimum zero shift, I go with the solid and repeat zero mount.  After all, before co-witnessing came along, those were among the criteria in mount selection
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Colt DELTA HBAR with the crappy Tasco scope set in an A2 carry handle, cheesy plastic cheek piece, and gritty single stage trigger

Those "defined" accuracy....according to Kool-Aid Drinkers
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#44]
not really.  If anything m4 barrels are a fad, they are 100% useless unless you put a m203 or flare launcher on it.  The only reason I have one is cause stag doesnt offer LW barrels, (but ill prolly get it reprofiled later).  Just cause someone mods it to fit them does not make it a fad, a fad is when they do it cause everyone else is and its useless, thats why they die out.  Its what makes them 'fads'.

I think its all been covered, I cant think of anything else...  Fake cans maybe, but never really caught on too well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#45]
All of us.

No one on this site would be seen at the range with a 'real' looking EBR.

The real ones in the sand box look like shit from all that work ventilating Haj.

Our clean machines, if you think about it, are a joke.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
not really.  If anything m4 barrels are a fad, they are 100% useless unless you put a m203 or flare launcher on it.  The only reason I have one is cause stag doesnt offer LW barrels, (but ill prolly get it reprofiled later).  Just cause someone mods it to fit them does not make it a fad, a fad is when they do it cause everyone else is and its useless, thats why they die out.  Its what makes them 'fads'.

I think its all been covered, I cant think of anything else...  Fake cans maybe, but never really caught on too well.

That M4 barrel has been a long lasting fad then.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Parkerizing under the front sight base.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Anything AR, AK, high cap mag, sniper rifle, handgun, or with the word tactical on it.

In 5 years from now, when President Obama's starting his 2nd tour, we will all look back at this fad we are in right now and laugh. We'll sit back in the rocking chair on our wood porch, with our glass of lemonade in one hand, holding our single barrel NEF .410 gauge squirrel guns in the other hand, and thoughtfully reflect on the early 2000 years and all lunacy that came with that time.

Hmmmm, lemonade.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#49]
polygonal rifled barrels
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Polygonal barrels, like the one that won more trophies than anything else in 2007?
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top