Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:28:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I want to be Sixtysixdeuce when I grow up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, will you fabricate a rear sight? I'd imagine that would be challenging. Not that I don't think you can do it.

This entire project is amazing, thank you for sharing your work!

Maybe challenge Aimpoint to make a REALLY micro T-1.. lol
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Coolest thing I have seen in a very long time ng time.

Good job!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Op, this is the coolest build I have seen. I would love to see it next to a full sized gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Op, this is the coolest build I have seen. I would love to see it next to a full sized gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/659121_AR_7_5.html&page=8#i6683827
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Ultimate light weight build
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Yeah, you could say that.  Weighs 1.07 lbs loaded.  No forward assist figured into that, but then, there is also no bore at the moment.  With the actual barrel and the FA, I'm guessing it'll be pretty much a wash.

I got the bolt catch/extractor done as well.  That was a really challenging piece to machine, lots and lots of operations on all sides, which meant detaching it from the stock early on.  There was also the slot to cut in the bolt carrier, as well as relieving the upper for the extractor portion of it.  Came out OK, though I did lose two more 1/16 cutter making the slot.

Plan is to cut a slot in the back of the mag and run a 0-80 or 1-72 socket head into the follower to engage the BHO.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, you could say that.  Weighs 1.07 lbs loaded.  No forward assist figured into that, but then, there is also no bore at the moment.  With the actual barrel and the FA, I'm guessing it'll be pretty much a wash.

I got the bolt catch/extractor done as well.  That was a really challenging piece to machine, lots and lots of operations on all sides, which meant detaching it from the stock early on.  There was also the slot to cut in the bolt carrier, as well as relieving the upper for the extractor portion of it.  Came out OK, though I did lose two more 1/16 cutter making the slot.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1253_zps92420352.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1254_zpse1eef1ad.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1255_zps6a7bc087.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1257_zpsa2857333.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/2dcb4a41-8270-4197-9ab1-43656b6850a4_zpsb24d8fe3.jpg

Plan is to cut a slot in the back of the mag and run a 0-80 or 1-72 socket head into the follower to engage the BHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1253_zps92420352.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1254_zpse1eef1ad.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1255_zps6a7bc087.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1257_zpsa2857333.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/2dcb4a41-8270-4197-9ab1-43656b6850a4_zpsb24d8fe3.jpg

Man I wish I had the machining skills you do. I can barely choke through an 80 percent lower with a hand drill. Maybe someday lol. This thing is a f'n work of art.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Are you blue printing any of this? I know you are 1/2 scaling, but are you documenting where you are making changes? I was just thinking to myself what an awesome one off. But if something happened to it, it would be nice to pick up easily.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you blue printing any of this?
View Quote

Not really.  I sketch the part out and write down some of the measurements, but a lot of it is done on the fly, with a full size part, a digital caliper and a calculator sitting on the other end of the bed.  For the most part, it is all 1:2 of full scale.  The bolt/carrier, bolt hold open and dust cover (as well as opening in receiver) are the only things that differ substantially.

Some things may have gone smoother if I'd fully printed all of it, but I don't care for that aspect of machining.  I'm a cutter, not a drawer, and don't mind having to take a piece back to the machine a few times rather than going cross eyed spending hours over a piece of paper or looking at a CAD screen.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not really.  I sketch the part out and write down some of the measurements, but a lot of it is done on the fly, with a full size part, a digital caliper and a calculator sitting on the other end of the bed.  For the most part, it is all 1:2 of full scale.  The bolt/carrier, bolt hold open and dust cover (as well as opening in receiver) are the only things that differ substantially.

Some things may have gone smoother if I'd fully printed all of it, but I don't care for that aspect of machining.  I'm a cutter, not a drawer, and don't mind having to take a piece back to the machine a few times rather than going cross eyed spending hours over a piece of paper or looking at a CAD screen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Are you blue printing any of this?

It's the engineer in me that thinks about documentation.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]
just sent off a email to Aimpoint and Primary Arms.....

we need 1:2 scale RDS!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never seen a .17 mach 2

I never knew there was such a small round! That thing is tiiiiiiiiiiiiiny!!!

Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Not the smallest by far.

There is the .10 Eichelberger LR (.22 LR case):

And then there is the ultimate miniature cartridge, the Swiss mini gun 2.34mm (.09 caliber), shown with a .22 LR and an 18mm rimfire:

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And then there is the ultimate miniature cartridge, the Swiss mini gun 2.34mm (.09 caliber), shown with a .22 LR and an 18mm rimfire:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/Tailgunner1954/Dave002.jpg

View Quote

So when is AR-.10 coming out.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The particular 17HMR blew upwards in factory semis, granted the particular little brother doesn't have the powder load.

We believe you'll begin together with bolt approach more than weight, for the level that just barely moves and also trim weight until that cycles but no a lot more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/Tailgunner1954/Dave002.jpg

Yeah, +1
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The particular 17HMR blew upwards in factory semis, granted the particular little brother doesn't have the powder load.

We believe you'll begin together with bolt approach more than weight, for the level that just barely moves and also trim weight until that cycles but no a lot more.
View Quote

Can anyone translate this?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's a spam account.  they posted a similarly confusing message in another thread
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think it's a spam account.  they posted a similarly confusing message in another thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never read anything that bad but, I think that's he's talking about the fact that .17HMR semi-autos had trouble with case ruptures from the bolt opening early, but if they made the bolt heavier it wasn't reliable. The manufacturers quickly recalled them and basically gave up on finding the "balance". Too many pressure variations in the ammo, and too much pressure for the thin case to hold unsupported. But I have not heard anything like that on .17mach 2, but I haven't researched it either. (I learned this because I wanted a semi-auto .17hmr at one point in time)

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  I've never read anything that bad but, I think that's he's talking about the fact that .17HMR semi-autos had trouble with case ruptures from the bolt opening early, but if they made the bolt heavier it wasn't reliable. The manufacturers quickly recalled them and basically gave up on finding the "balance". Too many pressure variations in the ammo, and too much pressure for the thin case to hold unsupported. But I have not heard anything like that on .17mach 2, but I haven't researched it either. (I learned this because I wanted a semi-auto .17hmr at one point in time)  
View Quote

Alexander Arms managed a .17" HMR upper, but it is dependent on specific triggers, as the balance is that finicky.  Don't think .17"HM2 is that problematic.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah I had seen the Alexander Arms, but the post was getting long so I didn't mention it, even those rupture cases but it isn't an issue since they are overbuilt. Supposedly the 597's and 10/22's didn't take it very well.

I have since leaned that 22mag is probably a better choice for me over the .17 anyway, especially with my PMR-30 I have now and hopefully a CMR-30 someday!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not the smallest by far.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm68/larryinIA/10LR.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not the smallest by far.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm68/larryinIA/10LR.jpg

made specifically for those treacherous hummingbird beasts and carnivorous backyard geckos..
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't even begin. Could be some kind of code, or the dude just can't put together a logical sentence.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can't even begin. Could be some kind of code, or the dude just can't put together a logical sentence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  The particular 17HMR blew upwards in factory semis, granted the particular little brother doesn't have the powder load.

Or English is not his first language, and ran it through Google Translate.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot of trouble with 17HMR cases rupturing, (there was even more problems with conversion kits for 10/22s.
He seems to suggest an overly heavy bolt to begin with, and lightening the bolt until it reliably cycles.

If, as the poor English suggests, he's a Pakistani gunsmith, I'd listen to what he's saying.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Subscribed.  This is very neat.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lot of trouble with 17HMR cases rupturing, (there was even more problems with conversion kits for 10/22s.
He seems to suggest an overly heavy bolt to begin with, and lightening the bolt until it reliably cycles.

If, as the poor English suggests, he's a Pakistani gunsmith, I'd listen to what he's saying.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a god damn spammer. He's gone. Fuck him and his kind.

Read up on Markov chains or "Markov text generator". Once you know one, they're easy to spot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Read up on Markov chains or "Markov text generator". Once you know one, they're easy to spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a feeling but not enough to report.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:58:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The particular 17HMR blew upwards in factory semis, granted the particular little brother doesn't have the powder load.

Holy shit!  You're saying that was a BOT?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:34:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes WAY too much sense to be a bot.  If you know about the issues with 17HMR and semi-autos, it makes perfect sense, with zero incorrect information.  English is obviously not his first language.  It's also to 'factual' to be a markov chain.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It makes WAY too much sense to be a bot.  If you know about the issues with 17HMR and semi-autos, it makes perfect sense, with zero incorrect information.  English is obviously not his first language.  It's also to 'factual' to be a markov chain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought.  I was freaking out a little over here.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#34]
great work, op
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like he belongs in GD.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#36]
OST

Great work OP
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Or English is not his first language, and ran it through Google Translate.

^^^^^^^^
This
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Epic project I admire people with this much skill hell I have trouble building a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#39]
This is incredibly awesome. The pictures of it compared to other objects really put it into perspective.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Aww, OP! You're building a gun for my cat! That's so sweet!

Uh... err... wait... OP WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???

But no, seriously, what you're doing is freaking amazing.  Very impressed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks again for the compliments!

I'm sorry to say that I have no new progress to report at this time.  I am STILL  waiting on my letter, the holidays are hectic, and it has been bitter cold here, which leaves me disinclined to spend any more time in the shop than absolutely necessary.

I do have an EOTech 512 sitting here to copy, just haven't got to it yet.  But don't worry, this will not be a near-finish project; it will  see an end, just that life gets in the way sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#42]
OP do you plan on doing any painting/coating?  That gun looks wicked sick and nice machining skills!

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#43]
OP do you plan on doing any painting/coating?
View Quote

Most likely going to anodize.  I still have to get my hands on some nitric acid, though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm sorry to say that I have no new progress to report at this time.  I am STILL  waiting on my letter, the holidays are hectic, and it has been bitter cold here, which leaves me disinclined to spend any more time in the shop than absolutely necessary.

I do have an EOTech 512 sitting here to copy, just haven't got to it yet.  But don't worry, this will not be a near-finish project; it will  see an end, just that life gets in the way sometimes.
View Quote
We can wait for something this awesome.

Take care.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Fantastic work. Keep it. We will be here when you finish.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Truly remarkable craftsmanship OP, great work so far!
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

What letter?  ATF response on SBR or not?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I believe that's what he is waiting for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I just visited the NRA firearms museum at the headquarters in Washington DC.  I had some time to kill and had always wanted to stop in.  Awesome collection and I can't wait to return with more time to spend there and to shoot at their range.

They have 3 or 4 fully functional rifles on display that are miniatures of production units.  As I  recall, one or two of them were lever guns about 15" long!  Don't recall if they were factory made or not but I will pay more attention to them next time.  I believe a miniature Gatling has been done.  These are all very cool projects, particularly this one!  I'm looking forward to completion!
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Epic project I admire people with this much skill hell I have trouble building a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich
View Quote

Try making that sandwich in 1/2 scale!!!  

This is an awesome project.
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top