BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just picked up my three from my FFL this afternoon.  I mated them to an extra upper I had in the safe but didn't try inserting pins, just eyeballed them.  From that very unscientific look they seem okay.  High 18xx serials on all three.
I suggest that you try inserting a pivot pin and try to fully close the upper onto the lower.  Two of mine that wouldn't close are lower 018xx.  The print spec on the diameter of the lower receiver pivot pin/takedown pin holes is ±.001.  The total tolerance is .002... or roughly the thickness of a piece of paper.  I don't have a print of the upper receiver, but the tolerance is probably the same. If you don't have a pivot pin, try a #2 Phillips screwdriver through the pivot pin holes.  It's shank should be ~.245" in diameter,  or ~.006" undersize of the takedown pin holes.  It can be pushed to the rear of the receiver holes to see if the upper will completely close on the lower. Better safe than sorry.
That is all...

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked mine up today and was able to attach it to an upper that I have. I didn't have a LPK to check it with but was able to drop 2 clevis pins .240 dia in the front and rear pin holes and it seems to fit up ok. What do you think? GTG?
Serial # 19**
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Picked mine up today and was able to attach it to an upper that I have. I didn't have a LPK to check it with but was able to drop 2 clevis pins .240 dia in the front and rear pin holes and it seems to fit up ok. What do you think? GTG?
Serial # 19**

That's .020 worth of slop, alot in the firearms world. I've find something alot closer to .250. Doesn't take much beyond that to prevent full mating.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serial # 19**

That's .020 worth of slop, alot in the firearms world. I've find something alot closer to .250. Doesn't take much beyond that to prevent full mating.

So true. I'll be picking up a LPK tomorrow and I'll know for sure.

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Spoke to soon my 2 are out of spec tried to install the takedown pins and the rear won't go in
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I also have all 3 that are out of spec.  I maybe can get 1 to work if I have to but I would rather exchange them  I left a message for Dennis at 3:30 their time today I will update after I talk to him.  I want to thank Bryan at Aim that responded to my questions and an FFL problem I was having.  If AR57 can resolve my issue as well as AIM did I will be very pleased.  Low 14xx SN.

12/19 - left a message for Dennis at 3:30 their time
12/20 - left a message for Dennis at 1:30 their time

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one that I've built all the way except for the damn selector switch.  It's the last part in the build and it won't go in because the hole for the selector is drilled at an angle.  I'm going to have to call and have mine replaced.  I bought three, I wasn't planning on building the third for a while, and the first one I built fit my BCM upper but was VERY tight in the back.  It's a good thing I bought these as reserve parts, I wouldn't buy these lowers again, too much trouble.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked up 2 of these AR57 lowers the other day from AIM.  Serial #025xx. Putting in a CMMG LPK...Seems that the hammer cannot be installed very easy...like the slot wasn't milled all the way back.  Also the front pivot pin...won't go in all the way..appears the front of the lower might not have the correct angle milled on it.  Anyone else have problems with this?
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one that I've built all the way except for the damn selector switch.  It's the last part in the build and it won't go in because the hole for the selector is drilled at an angle.  I'm going to have to call and have mine replaced.  I bought three, I wasn't planning on building the third for a while, and the first one I built fit my BCM upper but was VERY tight in the back.  It's a good thing I bought these as reserve parts, I wouldn't buy these lowers again, too much trouble.

Not trying to say you don't know what you're doing, but have you tried putting the selector in before the FCG? I've never had any luck trying to put the selector in after the trigger with mil-spec triggers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm... good idea, let me try it.  Thanks for the suggestion, this is the third time I've built a lower but I'm def still learning!
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, I'm a dunce, it went right together.  Still very tight with my upper tho, but it seems to function.  I'll know tomorrow when I crack some rounds off at the range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow, I'm a dunce, it went right together.  Still very tight with my upper tho, but it seems to function.  I'll know tomorrow when I crack some rounds off at the range.

No problemo

Don't want you to send in an in-spec lower for no reason. I'm sure it'll loosen up some with use. I've had some that were a tad tight, but loosened up with operation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#13]
My three all have issues including the Grip . The Grip screw hole seems to be to far back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked mine up from the FFL tonight.  This is the first and only AR part I have...finally came after ordering on the 10th with a payment (user) error on my behalf.

Being that the most prevalent error is with the upper not fitting, my FFL was nice enough to remove the upper from his personal rifle and do a test fit.  It seated well and we were able to see through both of the pin holes with, what looked like, no obstructions.  I will have to wait until I order my LPK (whatever century they are actually in stock) to see if the grip fits or I may shoot down to the LGS and just grab a lose MOE to see how things line up.

All the rest of the machining seemed clean.  There is a hairline scratch on the serial number side of the mag well.  Nothing that can't be lived with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude mine were like that too until I tried to put the takedown pins in thats where I ran into problems.

Quoted:
Picked mine up from the FFL tonight.  This is the first and only AR part I have...finally came after ordering on the 10th with a payment (user) error on my behalf.

Being that the most prevalent error is with the upper not fitting, my FFL was nice enough to remove the upper from his personal rifle and do a test fit.  It seated well and we were able to see through both of the pin holes with, what looked like, no obstructions.  I will have to wait until I order my LPK (whatever century they are actually in stock) to see if the grip fits or I may shoot down to the LGS and just grab a lose MOE to see how things line up.

All the rest of the machining seemed clean.  There is a hairline scratch on the serial number side of the mag well.  Nothing that can't be lived with.

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I contacted AR57 today after leaving a message yesterday and receiving a call back.  I got in touch with a sales rep who took my name and number as Dennis was handling all the out of spec lowers.  I waited for a return call with none.  I will wait till tomorrow and call back, green canoe praised their customer service so I am chalking it up to them being busy like everyone else.  I'll keep everyone informed of my situation.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Each of mine have multiple problems.  Inside of 2 of them have the fire control area milled way off to one side.  2 of them have the grip screw hole too far forward.  And all 3 you can't get an upper on without a mallet to hammer the pins in.  They are so off center the bolt binds in the stock tube when you charge it.  All this before even attempting to put a trigger or mag I them.  With them milled off center I have to believe feeding problems are enevitable.  Again I hope 5.7 makes it right.

bottom is milled in the center.  you can see the other 2 are off set and there is an overcut in the front of the mag well on the other 2

You can see how far offset the upper is on the left side there

Variance in wall thickness

More measurments

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
did aim check the rest of them? my just shipped today
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
did aim check the rest of them? my just shipped today

Mine shipped the same day. I hope ours dont have any issues. If I would have known this I would have bought the aero precision one. My cheap a$$ trying to save 10 bucks.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:50:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Going to pick up the 3 that my buddy and I bought from the FFL today.  Taking a couple of uppers/pistol grips and #2 philips along to do some basic checking.

I live about 10 mins from their HQ so hopefully if we have a problem then it'll be a quick fix.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Each of mine have multiple problems.  Inside of 2 of them have the fire control area milled way off to one side.  2 of them have the grip screw hole too far forward.  And all 3 you can't get an upper on without a mallet to hammer the pins in.  They are so off center the bolt binds in the stock tube when you charge it.  All this before even attempting to put a trigger or mag I them.  With them milled off center I have to believe feeding problems are enevitable.  Again I hope 5.7 makes it right.

bottom is milled in the center.  you can see the other 2 are off set and there is an overcut in the front of the mag well on the other 2
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0101_zps72adf8c4.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0107_zpsadc5fa46.jpg

You can see how far offset the upper is on the left side there

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0103_zps142134de.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0102_zps550e4797.jpg

Variance in wall thickness

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0111_zpsa3961bec.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0106_zpsea8bbfc4.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0110_zps6776514d.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0105_zps5174060a.jpg

More measurments

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0108_zpsb059dbe5.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Vonbongo/ar57lower/DSC_0109_zps4d7c1625.jpg

That's scary...  That means more than one operation was out of control.  Not just one bad tool on one operation.  A worse problem than Dennis led me to believe.  I was looking at your numbers to see if I could find a pattern.  I can't see it if there is one.  This is where proper gaging would have paid for itself.  (Says the guy who designs automotive and other inspection equipment.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#22]
How hard could it be to do some basic QC checks on these lowers before they ship?  Seriously "Dennis"/AR57 will have more time and money in dealing with out of spec items then just taking care of it before they left the mfg facility.  my 2 cents.  As a newb to the AR build world and also one who strives to do it "right" this very frustrating.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#23]
In summary this sucks!

Just picked up 3 from my FFL this morning.  Visually 2 look OK but one is pretty rough (pics below).  I pulled the lower off my AR and did a visual to see if both take down holes line up and it looks like they do.  Problem is I had no plans on building with these soon and if they're machined wrong I have no way of knowing unless I want to disassemble my AR and check all 3.

I guess I'll stand by to see what the outcome is before I proceed.  BTW - my lowers are all 25xx

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IJf_0LwIJh0/UNS2X2iD-RI/AAAAAAAABQk/tyqBIRV0yOA/s800/magwell-1.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GIL8-6MlYBY/UNS0zoMvqGI/AAAAAAAABP0/Os82htO-HVg/s640/magwell-2.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7WiZ6hFzD8A/UNS0zusaldI/AAAAAAAABP8/bIN7voE9tqg/s800/slag-1.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CyPfQJMy9o8/UNS00Mb_X3I/AAAAAAAABQE/v8gt8nul0Ho/s800/slag-2.jpg
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn now I'm really worked about the ones I ordered I had planned to put these away but I guess I'll have to buy lpk's and put them together
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Update to my post above.  
Took the front pivot pin out of my built AR (PSA lower & upper) and installed all 3 lowers just to see if they pivot OK and the rear take down hole lines up.  They all line up but the "rough" lower will not pivot without some force.  The pivot pin is hitting the magwell.

Should I call AIM or AR57 to see if I can get this one replaced?  Once again... this sucks!

UPDATE: Finding more and more that just doesn't sit well with me.  Look at this picture of all of the Pivot Pin holes.  Do these look too thin to you?  The thinnest one is 1.11mm.  The one on my PSA lower is 2.54mm.  I'm new to the AR world so I don't know if this matters or not.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-owfA6NMHo_A/UNTDNpNVL0I/AAAAAAAABQ8/6G0WKWIkGus/s720/Pivot%2520hole.jpg

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Call Dennis at AR57 I got ahold of him today.  Unfortunately when I called back to see if they got my FFL's paperwork I got a message that they were out of the office for Xmas.  He seems like a nice dude in all honesty and he said he was sorry for not getting back to me due to them being swamped with the current events.  Not making excuses for him but maybe they aren't manufactured in house that they couldn't check them.  Visually mine are pretty good, you got some real boogered up ones.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Update to my post above.  
Took the front pivot pin out of my built AR (PSA lower & upper) and installed all 3 lowers just to see if they pivot OK and the rear take down hole lines up.  They all line up but the "rough" lower will not pivot without some force.  The pivot pin is hitting the magwell.

Should I call AIM or AR57 to see if I can get this one replaced?  Once again... this sucks!

UPDATE: Finding more and more that just doesn't sit well with me.  Look at this picture of all of the Pivot Pin holes.  Do these look too thin to you?  The thinnest one is 1.11mm.  The one on my PSA lower is 2.54mm.  I'm new to the AR world so I don't know if this matters or not.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-owfA6NMHo_A/UNTDNpNVL0I/AAAAAAAABQ8/6G0WKWIkGus/s720/Pivot%2520hole.jpg

That lower right one looks WAY too thin. The others don't look too bad from a visual standpoint. It's doesn't take much to affect lockup though. I'd give AR57 a ring and get them replaced.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone received their replacement lowers from AR57 yet? I was wondering how they looked.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#29]
For those who are getting replacements, are they being shipped directly to you or to your FFL?  If your FFL, who is covering the costs?  With shipping and FFL I already have $90/each in these lowers and don't feel they're worth sinking more into.

So far my PSA & SAA lowers are much better and cost me a lot less.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#30]
2 out of 3 of the lowers that we picked up today passed the screwdriver trick in the Store and they seem OK with a front pin in but I don't have a complete LPK to test them.  It does seem like there is a little too much 'meat' round the buffer area. They are all very close in the serial # range of 960 ish.  Hopefully mine will be OK.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Day 3 of no returned calls.  Guess I will start again after Christmas.  Given today's climate what is a reasonable time to return calls?  A week?  2 weeks? Or as a bought and paid for customer is it my responsibility to call over and over until I get someone on the phone?
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Day 3 of no returned calls.  Guess I will start again after Christmas.  Given today's climate what is a reasonable time to return calls?  A week?  2 weeks? Or as a bought and paid for customer is it my responsibility to call over and over until I get someone on the phone?

I'm sure they are backlogged with calls to return. It was posted earlier that the answering service said they're out of the office til after Xmas, so that will delay them in getting back to you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dennis seems to be handling damage control very well
He instructed me to send him my serial numbers and And ffl via fax and he would send me new lowers with instructions to follow as regards the defective ones

Everything perfect so far

anyone got these "instructions" yet? interested to know what has to be done to the defective ones.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#34]
He said that he would be in touch with me but made a comment about just keeping it and using it as a "paperweight".
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For those who are getting replacements, are they being shipped directly to you or to your FFL?  If your FFL, who is covering the costs?  With shipping and FFL I already have $90/each in these lowers and don't feel they're worth sinking more into.

So far my PSA & SAA lowers are much better and cost me a lot less.  

Got my replacements they go to your FFL , you cover the FFL fees, Dont get your hopes up that the replacements will be perfect  -all three replacemnts the grips would not fit correctly!

You keep the old ones as door stops.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#36]
yea i bought one last weekend at a gun shop... I am worried mine is messed up too

I put my DD lpk in yesterday all is good except for the grip doesn't fit correctly, but it screw in. i tried both the Daniel Defense grip and a Troy Cqb grip and both don't sit flush.

i'll keep you posed when my PSA upper comes in *fingers crossed*
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, I bought three of these "bargain" lowers and all three have issues.  First was 007xx, and the rear takedown pin detent hole was drilled too close to the inner wall of the receiver.  When the takedown pin is installed, it won't retract far enough to allow the receiver lug to fit in the receiver due to the lug hitting the takedown pin.  I wallowed the detent hole farther to the right and now it works.

Then I tried my second lower (006xx) and found that the second one has a detented forward pivot pin hole, which won't even allow me to insert the forward pin.  The rear takedown detent hole also looks drilled too closed the inner receiver wall

Then I tried my third lower and the receiver rear is hitting the buffter tube thread section of the lower (just like the original poster showed).  The rear takedown detent hole also looks drilled too closed the inner receiver wall

Three lowers and all three are out of spec.  Looks like I'll be giving Dennis a call after Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Apparently.  Forgive the pun (your avatar), but I'm in the same boat.  Messages on voice mail, sent an e-mail with pics and nothing yet.  First call was on Tuesday.   Thanks for posting the pics... I re-checked all 3 of mine, and to varying degrees all shelves are machined off center.  When I slide the upper into the lower without pins, the upper looks exactly like you 3rd and 4th pics.
SARCASM ON [I'm just curious as to what the replacement lowers will be like (and what year I'll receive them.)] SARCASM OFF
That is all...

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Left a message again today.  This time with a nice lady who said Dennis didnt work at that location but that she would get him the message.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Left a message again today.  This time with a nice lady who said Dennis didnt work at that location but that she would get him the message.

I just talked to Dennis, when you call make sure to hit the number 2 for tech support and he picks right up.  They said they shipped a bunch last week.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Hopefully the replacements aren't from the same batch as all of the defective ones.

One poster said his replacement would not fit the grip correctly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I will be picking my three up from my FFL tomorrow and will report any issues and sn range. (fingers crossed)
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine are being shipped out tomorrow so hopefully sometime next week.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Reached dennis today.  Will advise when replacements are received.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Reached dennis today.  Will advise when replacements are received.
+1

That is all...

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Picked up my two 24xx range. Unfortunately a call needs be placed.
Excessive gap upper n lower-two business cards in front/ 3 in back once pins forced in place
Thin front pin wall
Flashing not removed-grip, trigger, magwell-so much it "flakes" n catches a fingernail
Buffer threads/hole misaligned
Grip thread/hole out of place
Pics will be sent and fingers crossed

**update-left a message on the voicemail-no call back but I think it because of the holiday.
Been reading the various threads also so took another look
-buffer retainer pin hole on one is way too far back.
Mine are consecutively numbered, the higher numbered one has more problems.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Finished checking the three I picked up and everything seems to work OK. ( fire control, take down pins)
But the front pivot holes seem thin on all of them. Only about 1mm of material (.040 - .050 in)
I'll call next week and see what they have to say.
SN 26XX
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#48]
I just had my gun shop check my lower out. Here in MD you have to wait a week for a regulated FFL transfers.

So basically I have to wait a week to get back my out-of spec lower. My serial is in the 25XX range.

He fitted it to 2 uppers and both uppers gave him the same issue. take down pins lined up and but a gap is left between the upper and lower.

No BUENO!!!

I am a little annoyed but this SNAPFU.

Good that AR57 is making right but this is such a total PIA .
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#49]
12/30/2012 update spoke with Dennis. Confirm he was very pleasent to work with. Emailed my info and FFL info. He informed me that I should be getting R/A info to send back my two defective lowers, BUT he should be sending out two replacements in a week.  
As to the FFL fees and needing to re-register( Hawaii is a mandatory registration of all firearms state) well I need to work it out but if my FFL wants to charge me again, Dennis asked to be called back.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#50]
my FFL received my replacements today.

I'll report back on fit/specs when I pick them up later this week hopefully.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top