User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Tagged for more info... I am so into a 6.5, gas piston, 16 to 18" deer slayer...

Aye, the 6.5 x 55 is one of my alltime favorite cartriges, and this grendel looks like it will duplicate its external ballistics

THen we get to stuf it into an AR.

Jusst waiting for SHOT to see who else will be offering ammo then I wil have one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tagged for more info... I am so into a 6.5, gas piston, 16 to 18" deer slayer...

Aye, the 6.5 x 55 is one of my alltime favorite cartriges, and this grendel looks like it will duplicate its external ballistics

THen we get to stuf it into an AR.

Jusst waiting for SHOT to see who else will be offering ammo then I wil have one.

The Grendel has decent ballistics, but it won't equal 6.5 Swede ballistics, at least not with same bullet
weights and barrel lengths.  It's going to trail around 200 fps or so, but it will still work fine on deer-sized game or smaller out to reasonable ranges.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for further info.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Richard.....why a new Ranger plate if the old one fits?

Simon
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I am replying mostly just to tag this thread.  I am not an expert in anything but I see alot of potential in the 6.5, and a serious demand for a mid caliber cartridge for the AR, so much so that demand from the civilian sector has driven the whole 6.8 thing.

A couple questions:

What method of incapacitation is the "combat cartridge meant to use? i.e. yawing or fragmentation?  I was thinking a longish flat bottom round with a deep cannelure and open base, possibly an airspace or steel penetrator in the tip, creating a bullet that will easily yaw and break apart, sort of combining both the American and Combloc schools of thought on bullet effectiveness.  Accuracy and range may suffer a little due to the flat base, but I do not think that it will be a great enough difference to make up for the terminal effectiveness.  My thinking on tis design is that it will be able to frag reliably at close ranges, but at least yaw effectively at longer ranges, and hopefully with the short neck that the good Doctor had specified.  For all I know I am talking out my ass though......picture the flat based Yugo 7.62x39 bullets, but with a deep/heavy cannelure, that is what i am thinking basically.  IT would be nice if it came in at a price point of like $.25-.$35 a round

For a hunting round, it does not need to be fancy.  a basic soft point for all around use, and then a really thin skinned lightweight HP or ballistic tip for smaller game.  MAybe later a heavier round nose lead bullet.  

Anyhow Bill, thanks....people like you, Marty, Tony Rumore, LW, MGI and a few others are making firearms interesting again.

I have an MGI upper, and would be interested in components for it when they become available.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Magpul:
What are the differences if any in your blue antitilt follower that I recevied in my PRI 6.8 mag and my AA Grendel mag?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Yekimak wrote: "IT would be nice if it came in at a price point of like $.25-.$35 a round."

Yeki, it might be too late to change the direction the bullet is going at this stage, as I assume Wolf is already getting tooled up for their 6.5 Grendel ammo. But if what Bill Alexander predicts holds true, at $5 for 20 rounds from Wolf you should be getting your 25¢ per round.

John
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#9]

It's going to trail around 200 fps or so, but it will still work fine on deer-sized game or smaller out to reasonable ranges.

Grendel

The 6.5 Grendel has already been used hunting. As far as I’m aware, Brian Lukow is the first man in the history of planet Earth to take a big-game animal with the 6.5 Grendel cartridge. Last year on October 16, 2004, he shot a cow elk, and posted about his hunt in the Forum.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The 6.5 Grendel has already been used hunting. As far as I’m aware, Brian Lukow is the first man in the history of planet Earth to take a big-game animal with the 6.5 Grendel cartridge. Last year on October 16, 2004, he shot a cow elk, and posted about his hunt in the Forum.

Even more interesting is the guy who posted on 65grendel.com about killing 2 pigs with one shot!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's going to trail around 200 fps or so, but it will still work fine on deer-sized game or smaller out to reasonable ranges.

Grendel

Not sure if you are posting that link to refute or concur with my statement.  Grendel and Swede are close enough in terminal ballistics performance that there isn't a whole lot of difference between them.  But when loaded to the same pressure, shot out of the same barrel length, and throwing equal weight bullets, the Swede will launch them around 200 fps quicker, and that's from old M96 actions.   Shoot the Swede in a modern BA (Rem 700, Win 70, etc.) and load it up a bit, it will easliy attain 2750 fps launching 140 grain bullets from a  22" barrel.

The Swede has up to 48 grains useful case capacity, the Grendel has around 30.  There is no way the Grendel will ever match the Swede given this limitation.  That's not to say the Grendel is without merit.  Out to 250 yds or so, the Grendel, shooting a proper hunting bullet will kill game just as well as the Swede -- the Swede doesn't make them any deader.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I wasn't really doing either I was  just saying that according to real life experience (not mine though) the Grendel should be able to handle game larger than deer. As far as how it compares to the Swede, I can't say either way.
Regardless, I'm stoked to do my own testing
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Magpul:
If your saying the blue follower is the same for both 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel where can I buy them?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Shit.

I was so over my 6.5 G craze...

Im getting a 20" upper here soon maybe..
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#18]
For me, the price point on the ammo is everything.  The way the 5.56 is going, it would make sense to just move up to a 6.5 for an all purpose hunting self defense AR and be able to practice economically too.

Another plus would be a reliable source of ammo vs waiting for the ever shrinking surplus of military ammo.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know this is currently a thread about ammo, but since "the man" is watching...

I'd LOVE to see the Grendel offered in an 18" barrel with a mid-length gas system

I don't know why, but the 18" barrel seems to have the best balance to me...

+1

+1 As a hunter, this sounds like a deer hammer. I already use 75 Gr. Hornady in .223 for whitetail but am limiting my shots to under 100 yards. This would be a more effective round at all ranges out to 200. Please build this upper. I would maybe settle for a 16" though.

Bob

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Lets see...

6.5 ballistics
Reasonable ammo prices
reliable high cap magazines
16" midlength POF gas piston upper?

Yea, I want one. Bad.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#21]
This will definetely be my next rifle purchase.  Assuming all the hype is true.  And $5 / 20 rounds is still good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yekimak wrote: "IT would be nice if it came in at a price point of like $.25-.$35 a round."

Yeki, it might be too late to change the direction the bullet is going at this stage, as I assume Wolf is already getting tooled up for their 6.5 Grendel ammo. But if what Bill Alexander predicts holds true, at $5 for 20 rounds from Wolf you should be getting your 25¢ per round.

John

It would be damn near a miracle for ammo to reach that price point, and it is asking ALOT for that price range with such a young cartridge.  I should not bitch about price, and it is not as major hangup for me as the initial layout to convert to the caliber in the first place.  

I hope it comes true.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Tag

+1

This is the most useful 6.5G thread I've seen. I'm intrigued.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Other than the gas piston model, how do the "tactical" uppers differ from the GCS 16, Overwatch, and AWS models offered from Competition Shooting Sports?  Which would be more accurate?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Other than the gas piston model, how do the "tactical" uppers differ from the GCS 16, Overwatch, and AWS models offered from Competition Shooting Sports?  Which would be more accurate?

Thanks
Rich

As I understand it, the Tactical 16 will have a chrome moly & chrome lined barrel.  It will also have a A2 FSB.  

The CSS GCS 16" will have a Loather SS barrel, multiple handguard options, multiple flash supressor options etc.  A more "customized" offering.

Accuracy should be better with the GCS, but it will run several hundred more...  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Ahhh thanks.  So if I'm looking for a super accurate "var-tac" style the  CSS offerings will be the way to go?  Will the piston variant be available in the CSS rifles?  Are the GCS and AWS both freefloated as well, or is only the overwatch FF?  Of the three, would the accuracy potential be about equal, or would one stand out above the others?  

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ahhh thanks.  So if I'm looking for a super accurate "var-tac" style the  CSS offerings will be the way to go?  Will the piston variant be available in the CSS rifles?  Are the GCS and AWS both freefloated as well, or is only the overwatch FF?  Of the three, would the accuracy potential be about equal, or would one stand out above the others?  

Thanks
Rich

Rich,

Compare a normal chrome lined barrel with a SS match grade barrel and I think you will normally see better accuracy with the SS match, same would apply here.  

The piston variant will not be a CSS offering, it would come directly from that mfg.  

The GCS 16" comes standard with a Briley carbon fiber free float tube.  If you want to upgrade to another mfg free float tube, that is a possibility with that model.  The 19.2 Overwatch is a free float fiberglass handguard.  No factory upgrades are avail on that model.  

Best thing you could do is call or email Arne and CSS and tell him exaclty what you want, and see what CSS can do.  [email protected]  

The 1st run of GCS 16s  is about to begin assembly, last I heard....  

Hope this helps.      
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#29]
hey mag pul guy,
are the new mags that have the plate bolted on a licinsed copy of the d and l mags ????
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grendel

Not sure if you are posting that link to refute or concur with my statement.  Grendel and Swede are close enough in terminal ballistics performance that there isn't a whole lot of difference between them.  But when loaded to the same pressure, shot out of the same barrel length, and throwing equal weight bullets, the Swede will launch them around 200 fps quicker, and that's from old M96 actions.   Shoot the Swede in a modern BA (Rem 700, Win 70, etc.) and load it up a bit, it will easliy attain 2750 fps launching 140 grain bullets from a  22" barrel.

The Swede has up to 48 grains useful case capacity, the Grendel has around 30.  There is no way the Grendel will ever match the Swede given this limitation.  That's not to say the Grendel is without merit.  Out to 250 yds or so, the Grendel, shooting a proper hunting bullet will kill game just as well as the Swede -- the Swede doesn't make them any deader.  

how's the 6.5Grendel  compare with a .260Rem  ?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks
Rich

As I understand it, the Tactical 16 will have a chrome moly & chrome lined barrel.  It will also have a A2 FSB.  

The CSS GCS 16" will have a Loather SS barrel, multiple handguard options, multiple gas block options, multiple flash supressor options etc.  A more "customized" offering.  

mid-length gas system ??
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
 mid-length gas system ??

Yep, on both models.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top