Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2024 9:47:56 AM EDT
Friend inherited a few hundred rounds. Trying to figure if he’d be better off selling the ammo or what it would take to set up an upper for him.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:27:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#1]
I have not heard anything about that round in years.  IMO, sell the ammo to someone who has a .499 (and don't be bashful about asking top dollar, you can always come down in price) and take that money and turn it over into a caliber that is still alive and well.  .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .450 Bushmaster for the bigger bores, .375 SOCOM, .350 Legend, or MAYBE the .400 Legend for a mid bore.

IMO it would be really a poor choice to build a rifle around a dead cartridge and to my knowledge, the .499 cannot be easily formed from any other brass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
I have not heard anything about that round in years.  IMO, sell the ammo to someone who has a .499 (and don't be bashful about asking top dollar, you can always come down in price) and take that money and turn it over into a caliber that is still alive and well.  .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .450 Bushmaster for the bigger bores, .375 SOCOM, .350 Legend, or MAYBE the .400 Legend for a mid bore.

IMO it would be really a poor choice to build a rifle around a dead cartridge and to my knowledge, the .499 cannot be easily formed from any other brass.
View Quote

I couldn't have picked a better person to get an answer from.  I'll pass it on.  Where should I tell him to list?  Is there a forum for big bores or something?  He's an archery guy more than a firearm expert.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]
On that I haven’t the slightest idea where you’d go to sell that ammo.  I cannot even recall a discussion about the .499 LW on the .458 SOCOM Forum so it may be your best bet to list here on the EE.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
On that I haven’t the slightest idea where you’d go to sell that ammo.  I cannot even recall a discussion about the .499 LW on the .458 SOCOM Forum so it may be your best bet to list here on the EE.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
View Quote

Can you still ship ammo as an individual?  Ground with ORM-D stickers?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You’ll need to check with UPS, FedEx, and USPS.  I don’t have a clue.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
Friend inherited a few hundred rounds. Trying to figure if he’d be better off selling the ammo or what it would take to set up an upper for him.
View Quote

Finding an upper would be like finding hen's teeth. He'd probably be better off trying to sell the ammo to collectors. Or he could pull everything for components and sell them. Should be relatively easy to trim the brass to .50 Beowulf length.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:

Can you still ship ammo as an individual?  Ground with ORM-D stickers?
View Quote

Absolutely!  Well, in lieu of any state laws to the contrary.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top