Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2024 2:04:34 PM EDT
I don't plan on ever mounting optics to this particular AK but it has the side mount.

Is it easy enough to remove, or more trouble than it's worth?

TIA
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it!

Some will say it's heresy and de-values the AK, and maybe that's true, but I never use them, and am about to pull one myself.

Mine is just two spots, front just holds the scope mount so will be a hole to fill, either welded or maybe just a "dummy" rivet. For the rear have to pull and replace one of the rear trunnion rivets. Shouldn't be too bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Why remove it? Does it get in the way of anything?

Seems like a lot of trouble for no benefit.

Personally I love the side rail. I use RS Regulate mounts and it gets the optic really low. Lower than a top cover rail could.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Why remove it? Does it get in the way of anything?

Seems like a lot of trouble for no benefit.

Personally I love the side rail. I use RS Regulate mounts and it gets the optic really low. Lower than a top cover rail could.
View Quote

Have you ever picked up a rifle that didn't have one, and think to yourself "man, I sure would like to rivet a big chunk of metal to the side of this rifle, so I can attach a big clunky cantilevered doodad over the top of the receiver, all to mount an optic regardless of the fact that there are already other ways to do it" ?

AK's sans the side mount are gorgeous.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Have you ever picked up a rifle that didn't have one, and think to yourself "man, I sure would like to rivet a big chunk of metal to the side of this rifle, so I can attach a big clunky cantilevered doodad over the top of the receiver, all to mount an optic regardless of the fact that there are already other ways to do it" ?

https://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2015/07/01/4475262_01_sa_85m_feg_hungarian_7_62x39_a_640.jpg
View Quote

Exactly this:
And I am building a Hungarian clone, and they typically don't have the mount...
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

Exactly this:
View Quote

For sure, it's one of the things I really like about that 63 you just had done.

If you need a nice pistol grip for your new build, PM me as I have a couple extra's laying around in the parts box and i'd like to see 'em go to a good home.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I would not remove one that is installed, I would just omit it on a bare receiver when building
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 1Gunner:
I would not remove one that is installed, I would just omit it on a bare receiver when building
View Quote

That's about what I have decided.  As much as I don't want the mount, I don't want the extra holes even more.  I may do a bit of figuring and look into filling the holes, but most likely will just leave it on...
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The rail should be held on by 3 rivets.  Rear trunnion, center support rivet and one through the receiver.  Not a big deal to remove if you have the ability to re-do the rivets, tig/mig weld the receiver hole and refinish the receiver.
I would personally leave it on.  It doesn’t get in the way and it’s there if you ever decide you want to use it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
actually.....yes, but that shouldn't surprise you

As stated above, 3 rivets hold it on. I'd do it carefully because you may be able to resell it in the EE.

The only time I have ever done this was to make an UF.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:43:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#10]

Exactly this:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Exactly this:
Yeah, I could see removing it if you are trying to get it clone correct.

I'm typically not that obsessed with details.

That's about what I have decided.  As much as I don't want the mount, I don't want the extra holes even more.  I may do a bit of figuring and look into filling the holes, but most likely will just leave it on...
I think bare holes would look worse. It's very obvious those don't belong there.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:45:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#11]

View Quote
I do avoid buying AKs that don't have side rails. I'm not a big fan of top cover mounts or rails on gas tubes.

But I'm not a buyer of collectible AKs either.  I'm more of a modernized practical AK guy than a classic old school AK guy.  That Hungarian does nothing for me. It's just an AKM that's missing a side rail.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I do avoid buying AKs that don't have side rails. I'm not a big fan of top cover mounts or rails on gas tubes.

But I'm not a buyer of collectible AKs either.  I'm more of a modernized practical AK guy than a classic old school AK guy.  That Hungarian does nothing for me. It's just an AKM that's missing a side rail.

View Quote

I started popping corn when I saw Doorkicker make this thread, lol, then of course I had to throw some fuel on it with my first post.

At least for once, I didn't start the heresy thread.

But dude, how you not gonna like an SA-85? Truly one of the finest AK's ever made.

And secondly, you say "modernized practical", yet insist on that archaic afterthought of an optic mount?

Here, modern and practical, yet stuck with a clunky chunk of communism on the side that will never be useful, I should have removed that tumor before I painted it:

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#13]
If nothing else the rail adds rigidity to the receiver. This was supposedly one of the reasons it became a standard bit on the 100 series rifles.

I wouldn't go to all the trouble to remove it just to make it clone correct to a level nobody but an AK nerd would notice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#14]

I started popping corn when I saw Doorkicker make this thread, lol, then of course I had to throw some fuel on it with my first post.

At least for once, I didn't start the heresy thread.

But dude, how you not gonna like an SA-85? Truly one of the finest AK's ever made.

And secondly, you say "modernized practical", yet insist on that archaic afterthought of an optic mount?

Here, modern and practical, yet stuck with a clunky chunk of communism on the side that will never be useful, I should have removed that tumor before I painted it:

https://i.imgur.com/1VrTY8I.jpeg
View Quote
Oh yeah, it's not that I don't like Hungarians. I like them all. I just didn't like the configuration of that first one you posted.  I like this second one.

But again, I'd use the side rail vs that rear sight RD mount.  Using a good quality side mount like a Midwest or RS Regulate would be a lot more durable, solid and they have repeatable return to zero if you want to swap between an RD and magnified optic (or just go old school with irons). I think the side rail gets a bad rep because a lot of people use inferior mounts on them.

Though I fully admit well, you know, that's just like, my opinion, man.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]

https://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2015/07/01/4475262_01_sa_85m_feg_hungarian_7_62x39_a_640.jpg
View Quote

Yes, I have. This is why I have a pile of side mounts so I can put them on rifle I need/want optics on. It's probably the best way to mount optics on the AK without worrying about things moving when I have to tear down the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh yeah, it's not that I don't like Hungarians. I like them all. I just didn't like the configuration of that first one you posted.  I like this second one.

But again, I'd use the side rail vs that rear sight RD mount.  Using a good quality side mount like a Midwest or RS Regulate would be a lot more durable, solid and they have repeatable return to zero if you want to swap between an RD and magnified optic (or just go old school with irons). I think the side rail gets a bad rep because a lot of people use inferior mounts on them.

Though I fully admit well, you know, that's just like, my opinion, man.

View Quote

Fair enough, but have you ever shot an AK with a red-dot and the rear sight replacement mount like an Attero?

I have tried the Midwest and the RS regulate mounts, the Midwest just sucked, it was catty-wampus in multiple directions. The RS was a nice mount and centered pretty good with just a tiny amount of cant, but still, bulky and annoying to have that stuff hanging off the rifle.

The Attero and TWS bitty mounts are just light years better, so light, great balance, and rock solid. Just a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#17]
To each Thierry own bro. I e tried the Attero and did not like it. I find nothing wrong with people doing whatever they want with their guns. I mean, they spent the $ on it, they can whatever they want.

Which is why 5.45x39 is better than 7.62x39, but that's an argument fir a other thread
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By nictra:
To each Thierry own bro. I e tried the Attero and did not like it. I find nothing wrong with people doing whatever they want with their guns. I mean, they spent the $ on it, they can whatever they want.

Which is why 5.45x39 is better than 7.62x39, but that's an argument fir a other thread
View Quote

I too, am drinkin'

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#19]

Fair enough, but have you ever shot an AK with a red-dot and the rear sight replacement mount like an Attero?

I have tried the Midwest and the RS regulate mounts, the Midwest just sucked, it was catty-wampus in multiple directions. The RS was a nice mount and centered pretty good with just a tiny amount of cant, but still, bulky and annoying to have that stuff hanging off the rifle.

The Attero and TWS bitty mounts are just light years better, so light, great balance, and rock solid. Just a joy to shoot.
View Quote
I used one, it wasn't an Attero. I didn't like it and sold it. It had no rear sight and didn't like that I had to use a tiny pistol red dot. There are probably better ones today. I definitely get the light weight and compact aspect of it though.

I use RS Regulate mounts on my AKs. I don't find them to be that bulky or obtrusive in any way. But yeah they are kind of the opposite of the simple rear sight replacement mount. Especially since I use a 30mm Aimpoint.

At least we have a lot of options for AKs now. I remember a time when really crappy cheap Chinese stuff or kind of not much better ex-Soviet stuff was all there was. There's some really good stuff out there now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't give AKs much thought for years.  I had a pre 89 Chinese underfolder that I bought for a ridiculously low price a long long time ago but I sold it a few years ago when they were going for over 3K.

The PSA Spiker actually got me interested in AKs and it just took off from there.  I am still of the mindset that AKs shouldn't have optics or rails.

Maybe that will change one day but who knows.  For now I keep them as close to original as possible.

I won't be removing any side mounts any time soon, and I canceled that order and found an AK without optics mount.  I am good for now
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't give AKs much thought for years.  I had a pre 89 Chinese underfolder that I bought for a ridiculously low price a long long time ago but I sold it a few years ago when they were going for over 3K.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Nice profit!  

The PSA Spiker actually got me interested in AKs and it just took off from there.  I am still of the mindset that AKs shouldn't have optics or rails.

Maybe that will change one day but who knows.  For now I keep them as close to original as possible.
Nothing wrong with that.  Enjoy your AKs!
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#22]
At least we have a lot of options for AKs now. I remember a time when really crappy cheap Chinese stuff or kind of not much better ex-Soviet stuff was all there was. There's some really good stuff out there now.
View Quote

I remember it well, no internet so everything was mail-order or gunshow stuff. And the only aftermarket stuff was Tapco. I have to admit, I fully Tapco-****ed the first SKS I ever bought, it was kind of a rite of passage, lol, everybody I knew did it at least once.

I remember distinctly the first time I sawed through a chicom thumbhole stock on a MAK to split it into stock and grip, it actually turned out pretty good!

Now i'm re-doing my 10/63 to really fine tune the thing to the way I shoot, and i'm almost overwhelmed with choices, looks like i'll wind up with even more crap in my parts box as I buy-try-toss.

We are definitely spoiled these days. I'm really digging the pics of the no-rail models Atlantic just put up in the other thread about this subject, but I think if I bought one I might not use an optic at all, just roll with it like it is.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I have removed one before. There will be an extra “bump” with a rivet in the center. It’s cone shaped to provide support for the rail. It’s between the trigger and hammer pins. Looks like crap. I ended up disassembling the gun and building the parts on an 80%. If I had to do it again, I’d just leave it on there.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top