Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2022 7:29:17 AM EDT
What options are out there for factory rifles, builds, etc?

I recently discovered a family member had one during the Balkans conflict and I’d like to grab one because why not… what options are out there?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Factory 76 semi are hen’s teeth

Builds range from 2 rivers incredible to AWO/ORF scrap.

You might check the AKFiles for help.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Century's were hit n miss back in the mid 2000s when these were all over the place for sub $1k wi lots of mags, scope, etc.  Kinda sloppy.  One went back n forth twice before I got a refund.  Second was okay but I sold it off to build my own.

I now have a beautifil blued Serbian kit + barrel built on literally THE last Wiselight receiver.   Lots of problems  via initial builder and subsequent AK "experts" to correct. But finally Mario at Peace Of History got that thing sorted out.  I did learn/get an acceptable solution to the nosediving followers in the magazines along the way

They come up on Market Places from time to time.  But a few different pedigrees of builders.  This is probably your best bet for an as built " new " M76 if they're still doing it.

http://assaultweaponsofohio.net/
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Appreciate the tips thus far. Mario has done some work for me. I’ll have to see what I can turn up and keep an eye out for one in the EE in the meantime. What are these going for these days?  Haven’t found any recent sales to indicate a fair price.

Also…if you don’t mind sharing what was your solution to the follower dive?
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 12:42:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmad2001] [#4]
I'll have to dig up that thread from a long time ago.    On the AKFiles or the AKForum (there I am GS455).  If not I can dig up pics and and email them to you with descriptions.

Those forums' Market Places or Gunjoker will prob be a better place to look than here.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 1:04:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Some crazy prices for kits now especially w/o barrels but that was then / this is now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=m76%20kit&Sort=13
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one on my "to do " list when I get time.

Prices are stupid high now.

Link Posted: 11/10/2022 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JKH62:
I have one on my "to do " list when I get time.

Prices are stupid high now.

https://i.imgur.com/rqUiYC2.jpg
View Quote

That’s a beautiful looking kit. I’d love to find one that nice.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Took me a while but I snagged a nice one.

It's an interesting story how many parts sets came in and how they were dispersed between a handful of factory built rifles then parts sets that changed various hands.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
What’s the best bet for finding a factory rifle?  Any idea what the more recent ones have sold for?  Are we talking KBI SVD prices, KAC SR-25 prices, or FN SCAR prices?
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 6:05:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#10]
Mitchell's Mauser's is the one I consider a legit factory rifle. There was a tug of war with the BATFE to get them released and that would be a premium, IMHO.
No idea on cost or numbers made.

Some guns came from Century that they either built or had built / hit and miss.
Not sure if Todd G built any but he did have a LOT of parts sets. Assault Weapons Ohio got a big chunk of his inventory and some others ended up in various individual hands.

I never followed M76 pricing but it's a way better gun than a PSL and they are bringing stupid money.

Some M76 background~

https://smallarmsreview.com/zastava-m76-from-ohio-rapid-fire/
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking ORF on GB… who knows what it looks like in person or if it’s straight. $2950…. I think I’ll keep looking for a factory Zastava.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/955987150
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 1:59:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Mitchell's Mauser's is the one I consider a legit factory rifle. There was a tug of war with the BATFE to get them released and that would be a premium, IMHO.
No idea on cost or numbers made.

Some guns came from Century that they either built or had built / hit and miss.
Not sure if Todd G built any but he did have a LOT of parts sets. Assault Weapons Ohio got a big chunk of his inventory and some others ended up in various individual hands.

I never followed M76 pricing but it's a way better gun than a PSL and they are bringing stupid money.

Some M76 background~

https://smallarmsreview.com/zastava-m76-from-ohio-rapid-fire/
View Quote

I'm pretty sure this whole bit about the Mitchell/ATF debacle was about the 1st M77's in 7.62NATO that came in (not M76s).  Maybe I'm wrong.  LiquidMetal or AKBlue may come along and advise.

"Life started in the United States for the Zastava M76 as a stand alone import in 1986 when Mitchell Arms of California brought in and sold approximately 400 pre-ban rifles. More then a decade would pass before 2,000 more were imported by P.W. Arms of Redmond, Washington and then sold to SOG International of Lebanon, Ohio. Within twelve days these outstanding firearms sold out, a testament to their value and quality. Even though all the paper work was in order, a sample submitted and a form six import license granted, six months later the BATF declared it a machine gun as defined in 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44. It appears a third hole and pin in the receiver contained a safety sear. Consequently, all 2,000 firearms were returned torch cut to BATF specifications and the customers’ money refunded."

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 2:00:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Nice looking ORF on GB… who knows what it looks like in person or if it’s straight. $2950…. I think I’ll keep looking for a factory Zastava.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/955987150
View Quote

That's outrageous - HARD PASS !!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 71Camaro427] [#14]
I did this one with a Tortort receiver in 30.06 Turned out incredibly well. Building a 8mm now on a late wiselite. Easy gun to build BTW if the receiver is in spec.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 71Camaro427] [#15]
"
I'm pretty sure this whole bit about the Mitchell/ATF debacle was about the 1st M77's in 7.62NATO that came in (not M76s).  Maybe I'm wrong.  LiquidMetal or AKBlue may come along and advise."

No, they were M76's. While the guns were not actually machine guns, No M76's are, they did have the 3rd pin hole in the receiver for a safety sear. Same thing as an auto sear but the disconnector is different.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 4:32:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAD] [#16]
I have it posted above.

280 total units imported.

Pre Ban M76's total 80 rifles

Post Ban M90 total 200 rifles.

The other import was by another importer not Mitchell Arms but PW Arms which were European designed with the wrong sear assembly. These were confiscated and then turned into parts kits. If I recall there were only like 300 rifles imported.

Most of the M90's ended up being wholesaled by CDNN, as the loss of money due to the import hold then subsequent release as M-90 years later put a dent into Mitchell Arms, financially. Mitchell Mausers was actually a different group without Don due to some other business issues.

There were actually three different importers associated with this factory for imports into the USA of these rifles. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Reviving this…stumbled across a M76 on a century receiver with ZRAK scope and one mag for $2450 at a local shop. How were the century rifles and anything to look out for?  I figure at that price worst case I can find a better receiver down the road and have it rebuilt on that…but I’m deferring to the experts here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Reviving this…stumbled across a M76 on a century receiver with ZRAK scope and one mag for $2450 at a local shop. How were the century rifles and anything to look out for?  I figure at that price worst case I can find a better receiver down the road and have it rebuilt on that…but I’m deferring to the experts here.
View Quote

You might give Assault Weapons of Ohio a call after all. I spoke with the lady a week or so ago and she was telling me they still have kits, they're building their own receivers now, and Green Mountain has agreed to do a run of barrels. Could be fresh options for those out there still wanting to get in it. I went through two century-built M76 (back in the day) before returning them both and going down my own build path.

I'm pretty sure Century used Ohio Rapid Fire receivers first which had problems depending on the batch and in the end used Wiselite which are long dried up and gone.

AWO bought up ALL the ORF inventory after Todd passed away (many yers ago).  They're pretty much going to be the only game in town (and know what they're doing) other than one-offs on GunBroker or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By kmad2001:

You might give Assault Weapons of Ohio a call after all. I spoke with the lady a week or so ago and she was telling me they still have kits, they're building their own receivers now, and Green Mountain has agreed to do a run of barrels. Could be fresh options for those out there still wanting to get in it. I went through two century-built M76 (back in the day) before returning them both and going down my own build path.

I'm pretty sure Century used Ohio Rapid Fire receivers first which had problems depending on the batch and in the end used Wiselite which are long dried up and gone.

AWO bought up ALL the ORF inventory after Todd passed away (many yers ago).  They're pretty much going to be the only game in town (and know what they're doing) other than one-offs on GunBroker or elsewhere.
View Quote

What issues did the centuries built on ORF receivers have? Was it a century assembly issue or a receiver issue (heat treating?)
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:47:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Reaching me back to the early ObaHa years here so my memory is sketchy.  My own issues were cycling/feeding.  Never really worked out what the probs were.  Just swapped rifles twice and gave up.  Then down the path of my own build nightmares as mentioned above. Mario at Peace Of History was my salvation.

As far as the nitty gritty of the ORF and other M76 wild-west history there was a guy in this forum that was tremendously knowledgeable about all the backstory named "liquidmetal".  Haven't seen him post in ages and unless you pay up as sponsor, at some level, search & history is very limited here.

If youre really interested in research material I'd recommend scouring some of the other ComBloc centric forums.  You'll probably bump into my old posts (under aka GS455).  A guy named Hakkent was kind of a brut but I think is Eastern European wi "some" knowledge if not a total asshat.   Another guy named AKBLUE is still active.  VERY knowledgeable on anything Yugo and seemingly objective/factual in his provision of information and experiences. I rate him pretty high on the scale of legit.

- https://www.akfiles.com/forums/
- https://www.theakforum.net/forums/
- https://www.gunboards.com/forums/
- https://www.gunco.net/
  - - This forum kinda died but a lot of history buried in the  histories.  A dude named TOMMO pretty much keeps it alive wi killer videos  he posts of any and EVERYthing milsurp.

Good luck on your quest for info.  Given ya all I can w/o re-researching it all myself.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top