Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/23/2024 3:55:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foundation]
*ETA: I went with the Beryl 556. Thank you to everyone that commented and everyone that made recommendations*

I am interested in purchasing a 556 AK and am seeking input and advice on which is the best to purchase. Price is not a concern, so please make any recommendation not dependent on value or “bang for the buck.” Also, please feel free to recommend any options not already included on the list below.

I have held and looked at:

(1) Zastava M90
(2) Arsenal SAM5

I am interested in but have not held or looked at:

(3) WBP 556
(4) FB Radom Beryl 556
(5) Arsenal SAM594

Additional Questions:
Does the Arsenal SAM5 have overgassing issues?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:24:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ATLANTIC-FIREARMS] [#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Foundation:
I am interested in purchasing a 556 AK and am seeking input and advice on which is the best to purchase. Price is not a concern, so please make any recommendation not dependent on value or “bang for the buck.” Also, please feel free to recommend any options not already included on the list below.

(1) Zastava M90
(2) Arsenal SAM5

(3) WBP 556
(4) FB Radom Beryl 556
(5) Arsenal SAM594

Additional Questions:
View Quote
the FB Beryl for a 556, the WBP for 7.62x39

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Zastava M85 that's been an absolute dream to shoot. Eats everything. First day I had it out, I had it so gummed up with dirt and snow that the action would cycle slower than I could pull the trigger but it still ran. My vote goes to the zastava personally
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:46:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MAKAK47] [#4]
I have a M90, Mini Beryl, 13” Galil ACE Gen 1 and a WBP on the way

I can testify that the first three are damn fine shooters, the M90 on gas setting 1 is a pussy cat

I got the WBP because I wanted something in 16” format that I can easily mod, especially since it’s AKM format
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:52:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#5]
My vote would be for a Valmet 76 folder. (3rd gun from the right)

Tony

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Still not much love for the PSA's?

Those WBPs do look nice. Weren't there some issues with them at some point? Or am I remembering that wrong?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I built my own.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Price is not the main concern huh?  Okay.

From what’s on the market right now, probably the FB Radom Beryl built out with the full Polish accessory kit.  Good shooter and will always be collectible given the lower import numbers and how close it is the military version.

A very close second in the Zastava M90, one of the wood stocked versions, but swap the buttstock for a Bonesteel right-folder stock.  Just a solid, well-built rifle and the adjustable gas system is a really cool feature that none of the others can offer out of the box.

Dark horse option, find an Arsenal SLR-106FR on the secondary market.  That was my first 5.56 AK and has always been a great rifle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you to everyone that responded. I really appreciate it.

I’ve narrowed it to these three, so far in this order:

(1) Beryl 556;
(2) Zastava M90, or M85 and SBR it; or
(3) Arsenal SAM5.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I vote the Beryl first, and the converted M85 second.

I just love an AK without the sidemount, looks so much better.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I only have experience with the M90, but it's a great rifle. It's heavy and has a long barrel, but on gas setting one, its such a soft shooter, and pretty darn accurate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I want something in the 100 series flavor. But that’s just me. I have a PSA 101 and a zpap85 SBR. I love them both.
The m90 or the beryl never crossed my mind. Not have weird furniture options. The yugo doubly so with its through bolt stock.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:

Tony

https://i.imgur.com/RM5s7G2.jpg?1
View Quote

Not to jack the thread but I agree with this post if Mr. Rumore is offering mags for these again!  Just sayin!
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Galil Ace Gen 1 (if you can find it)

Darn near perfect, and left side charging is nice
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Don’t forget about the SLR-106F.  A triangle sidefolder on that gun is a pretty good setup.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Tony

View Quote

Tony is right.

More converted mags would be nice though! Hint, hint.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Don’t forget about the SLR-106F.  A triangle sidefolder on that gun is a pretty good setup.
View Quote

I got a good deal on a used one from a guy thinning out his collection and it's a nice rifle, but I'm not sure they're worth what the go for now, especially with the PSA options.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PainefulCommonSense:

I got a good deal on a used one from a guy thinning out his collection and it's a nice rifle, but I'm not sure they're worth what the go for now, especially with the PSA options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PainefulCommonSense:

He did say that cost was not a concern….

If it was, then I would look at something else obviously.  And PSA would be at the top of the list for affordable options.  

We certainly don’t see prices on any original import models going down just because PSA is making good shooter grade copies though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]

(1) Zastava M90
(2) Arsenal SAM5

(3) WBP 556
(4) FB Radom Beryl 556
(5) Arsenal SAM594

Additional Questions:
View Quote

All of them are over gassed. With my SAM-5, I had it worked on by Rifle Dynamics. I now have an adjustable gas block, so it's not an issue running a suppressor. The cheaper solution is a KNS gas piston. I use KNS pistons on my Galil ACEs and they work as advertised. Zero reliability issues.

Of the choices you listed, I would probably still pick the Arsenal SAM-5 over all of them due to the CHF barrel and milled receiver made with Steyr equipment in Bulgaria. I just wish Arsenal was making a stamped version (formerly called the SLR-106) to save weight.

If money is no object, have Rifle Dynamics build you a 5.56 stamped AK. I would have done that, but I bought my SAM-5 before they started offering 5.56 rifles again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Why bother with rifle dynamics. RD is over priced for not really anything. You get a different gas block and they put their name on it then put a crazy thick layer of paint on it and triple the price.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Tony

View Quote

are you sure that you are qualified to make such a statement on the Valmet?  How can we tell you have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By themao:

All of them are over gassed. With my SAM-5...

Of the choices you listed, I would probably still pick the Arsenal SAM-5 over all of them due to the CHF barrel and milled receiver made with Steyr equipment in Bulgaria.
View Quote

m90 has an adjustable gas system, chrome lined barrel & 1.5mm bulged trunion receiver. I got mine 10 years ago before the rock & lock mags but it has been rock solid.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Tony

View Quote

While my M71S is a neat rifle, I wouldn't mess with a Valmet if you are going to use it for more than fiddling with. Replacement parts are impossible to find and magazines are a problem. I am using modified SAR-3 mags for mine because the metal ones that came with the rifle malfunction all of the time.

I would look at the WBP rifles in 5.56, SAM series, or the M90 at this point. I have a Bulgarian AK-74 in 5.56 that was a 5.45 kit but the Bulgarian kits are insanely priced and not at all affordable these days.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Why bother with rifle dynamics. RD is over priced for not really anything. You get a different gas block and they put their name on it then put a crazy thick layer of paint on it and triple the price.
View Quote

The pricing is ridiculous, but the internal work they do and the adjustable gas block makes it worth it if you shoot suppressed. Occam now makes an adjustable gas block with a Sig-like adjustment knob. That’s far better than RD’s set screw design.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By themao:

The pricing is ridiculous, but the internal work they do and the adjustable gas block makes it worth it if you shoot suppressed. Occam now makes an adjustable gas block with a Sig-like adjustment knob. That’s far better than RD’s set screw design.
View Quote

What internal work? Profiling a hammer? I can do that with a buffing wheel on a Dremel in a few minutes or I shoot a few thousand rounds.

You can put your own adjustable gas block on in under half an hour. Maybe an hour? Or just go KNS. It's easier than barrel population. People have been doing the set screw thing at home with a drill press for dammed near free. Might take me 10 minutes?I run suppressed  AKs with and without KNS pistons. Meh, no issues either way and I'm thousands of rounds down individual rifles both ways.

RD is and has always been basically snake oil.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By M1Lou:

While my M71S is a neat rifle, I wouldn't mess with a Valmet if you are going to use it for more than fiddling with. Replacement parts are impossible to find and magazines are a problem. I am using modified SAR-3 mags for mine because the metal ones that came with the rifle malfunction all of the time.

I would look at the WBP rifles in 5.56, SAM series, or the M90 at this point. I have a Bulgarian AK-74 in 5.56 that was a 5.45 kit but the Bulgarian kits are insanely priced and not at all affordable these days.
View Quote

Hey now- I know Valmet’s are rare and all, but that is no reason to be modifying SAR-3 mags (weigers)!  They aren’t exactly common either!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Hey now- I know Valmet’s are rare and all, but that is no reason to be modifying SAR-3 mags (weigers)!  They aren’t exactly common either!
View Quote

I believe Tony modified Weigers for a while for the Valmet. From what I understand Tony's modified magazines are awesome.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:16:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foundation] [#28]
Thank you to everyone that has posted.

I am down to these final two, in the below indicated order, and am going back and forth.

(1) Beryl 556
https://atlanticfirearms.com/fb-beryl-folder-rifle

Or

https://atlanticfirearms.com/fb-radom-beryl-m1-223s-rifle-556-fabryka-broni-luczink

(2) SAM5-94
https://atlanticfirearms.com/arsenal-sam5-94-rifle

I know that the SAM5-94 is overpriced, however it comes with the rail, and I haven’t seen the Beryl rail come into stock yet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#29]

I am down to these final two, in the below indicated order, and am going back and forth.

(1) Beryl 556

Or

https://atlanticfirearms.com/fb-radom-beryl-m1-223s-rifle-556-fabryka-broni-luczink

(2) SAM5-94

I know that the SAM5-94 is overpriced, however it comes with the rail, and I haven’t seen the Beryl rail come into stock yet.
View Quote

I dont like the look of those 18" barrels. I would go much cheaper. $700 to $900 range for me. PSA, WPB, or Polish. Zastava Pistol even.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:26:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foundation] [#30]
Originally Posted By Tango:

I dont like the look of those 18" barrels. I would go much cheaper. $700 to $900 range for me. PSA, WPB, or Polish. Zastava Pistol even.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tango:

(1) Beryl 556

Or

(2) SAM5-94

Thank you for your input. I like PSA, and have several of their AK offerings, but I am not considering a 556 PSA AK at this time.

I like WPB but disqualified their 556 offering from consideration as I want a chrome lined barrel.

The Zastavas are great and are on my list of what I want to buy in the future. Especially the 556 shorty for a SBR.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#31]

I like WPB but disqualified their 556 offering from consideration as I want a chrome lined barrel.

View Quote

Is this true? I thought all their barrels were Chrome-lined?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:47:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foundation] [#32]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

I am not sure about all instances, but the ones that I have looked at online in 556 have said nitride.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/wbp-556sr-jack-rifle

“- Barrel is threaded 14x1 for muzzle devices
- 1:8" Twist
- Polish 4150 Nitride treated barrel”
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I love my zpap 85 with cnc warrior brace

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#34]

I am not sure about all instances, but the ones that I have looked at online in 556 have said nitride.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/wbp-556sr-jack-rifle

“- Barrel is threaded 14x1 for muzzle devices
- 1:8" Twist
- Polish 4150 Nitride treated barrel”
View Quote

Well that's disappointing, looks like the only ones that have a CHF-chrome-lined barrel are a few of the 7.62 models, and the new slickside model that I liked so much unfortunately has a nitride barrel too as does all the 5.56 and 5.45 models.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Love my Beryl .
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm hoping to see an AK-102 soon getting closer....

https://kalashnikov-usa.com/product/kr-101-x-5-56x45mm-rifle/
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Galil Ace Gen 1 if you can find it

ZASTAVA ZPAP M90

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jeepva:
Love my Beryl .
View Quote

Only AK I want right now.

I want a few actually but only one I know will be great and triple in value by the time I am ready to let it go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#39]
No love for the PSA AK556?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I finally decided on which AK: Beryl 556

Thank you to everyone that posted and made recommendations.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
Are you going to pimp it out or leave it stock?

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

View All Quotes

I’m going to have it in my understanding of what Polish military style is:

- optic rail
- railed handguards
- telescoping buttstock
- Beryl pistol grip
- Beryl vertical grip
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#43]

- optic rail
- railed handguards
- telescoping buttstock
- Beryl pistol grip
- Beryl vertical grip
View Quote

Arms of America currently has a few of those models in stock, ready to order.
https://armsofamerica.com/fb-radom-beryl-rifle-5-56-223-full-package/https://armsofamerica.com/fb-radom-beryl-rifle-5-56-223-full-package/
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JustDave:

https://armsofamerica.com/fb-radom-beryl-rifle-5-56-223-full-package/https://armsofamerica.com/fb-radom-beryl-rifle-5-56-223-full-package/
View All Quotes

- optic rail
- railed handguards
- telescoping buttstock
- Beryl pistol grip
- Beryl vertical grip

Thank your for the link. This is exactly how I want it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

- optic rail
- railed handguards
- telescoping buttstock
- Beryl pistol grip
- Beryl vertical grip

It’s a dead sexy setup and it’s easy button right out of the box.  AoA are good people. Kinda want to get one of these in the latest 2004 config to go with my 1996 retro setup.  

I think you’ll be pleased with your choice!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#46]
It seems to be an unpopular way to go, but I actually like the sleek plastic furniture. These are really lightweight and handy rifles.

I just added a Magpul K2 grip, a Polish sling, and an AK Master Mount rail on mine with an RS Regulate mount placing the Vortex red dot nice and low. The suppressors are mounted with JMAC X37 mounts.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:14:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Foundation] [#47]
It seems to be an unpopular way to go, but I actually like the sleek plastic furniture. These are really lightweight and handy rifles.

I just added a Magpul K2 grip, a Polish sling, and an AK Master Mount rail on mine with an RS Regulate mount placing the Vortex red dot nice and low. The suppressors are mounted with JMAC X37 mounts.

https://i.imgur.com/1X0QVl5.jpeg
View Quote

Those are gorgeous rifles. Thank you for sharing your setup. It looks awesome. I’ll keep this in mind about the sleek plastic furniture, and I plan to try out that setup along with the railed one.

The suppressors look great too. How does the Beryl perform suppressed? Which type of suppressor are these?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:40:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#48]

Those are gorgeous rifles. Thank you for sharing your setup. It looks awesome. I'll keep this in mind about the sleek plastic furniture, and I plan to try out that setup along with the railed one.

The suppressors look great too. How does the Beryl perform suppressed? Which type of suppressor are these?
View Quote
Thanks!  I just got the 223 rifle last week and the 7.62 this week. I literally just mounted the cans and optics rails on there yesterday so I don't know how these setups are going to work yet.  They are AKs though, so I'm not expecting them to be super quiet.

On the 223 rifle, I have an Energetic Arms ARX. I love this can. It's super light weight and rated for good durability. Plus EA has a ring at the back with all the serial # and other marking info. So if I ever trash the can, they cut the ring off and weld it to another brand new can. This thread here  shows how EA fixes their cans (post #44).

On the 7.62 is a Griffin Explorr 300.  It's also a lightweight, so it handles nicely too. I hate heavy suppressors on long barreled 16"+ guns. I've only shot this can with 5.56 guns so far, so I'm looking forward to see how it does with 7.62x39.

I checked bore concentricity on both guns with alignment rods and both passed easily.  Both these cans have fairly low back pressure and from what I've read the Beryls aren't super overgassed, so I'm hoping I can do without KNS pistons in these.

I'm looking forward to shooting them.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top