Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2024 1:10:32 PM EDT
Last one I bought was a Tapco. Not looking for whizzbang $200 triggers. Whats the affordable ones?
Seen one on Atlantics site, and Primary Arms has one. All MIM stuff, I guess thats goes with affordable now
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The ALG trigger is nice. They're around $100 so not terribly expensive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Arsenal 2-stage, FIME Enhanced, LBE, and RAK-1 are what I've got.

The RAK-1 was a pretty good budget trigger though Century has discontinued it.  (Like every good product they have, they discontinue it in favor or something crappy.)

The LBE seems to be the best budget option these days.

FIME Enhanced is probably my favorite for a nicer trigger.

Arsenal 2-stage is a love it or hate it option.  They often show up on the secondary market for pretty cheap when people pull them for the ALG and similar triggers.  I do like them myself.

What I like about these four options is the hardness of the hammer is in the correct range which should reduce the incidence of mushrooming on the carrier tail.

I have one ALG trigger in a PSA 105; it is a nice feeling trigger but I know the hammer is way too hard and will eventually give my grief.  But since PSA built it that way, I'll let it run until it breaks something and have them fix it.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Findsman:
Arsenal 2-stage, FIME Enhanced, LBE, and RAK-1 are what I've got.

The RAK-1 was a pretty good budget trigger though Century has discontinued it.  (Like every good product they have, they discontinue it in favor or something crappy.)

The LBE seems to be the best budget option these days.

FIME Enhanced is probably my favorite for a nicer trigger.

Arsenal 2-stage is a love it or hate it option.  They often show up on the secondary market for pretty cheap when people pull them for the ALG and similar triggers.  I do like them myself.

What I like about these four options is the hardness of the hammer is in the correct range which should reduce the incidence of mushrooming on the carrier tail.

I have one ALG trigger in a PSA 105; it is a nice feeling trigger but I know the hammer is way too hard and will eventually give my grief.  But since PSA built it that way, I'll let it run until it breaks something and have them fix it.  
View Quote

Also found PSA has their standard trigger group for their AK's for $24.99 I know its not much, but for budget builds these days its in stock.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pile of parts kit triggers I use. Every time somebody cries 922r I get another FCG. I do a basic trigger job and put it in a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
I have a pile of parts kit triggers I use. Every time somebody cries 922r I get another FCG. I do a basic trigger job and put it in a rifle.
View Quote

I had a stash and still have one complete un-modded TAKT trigger, they were the best US made trigger IMO (if a person is willing to do the work), shame they're no longer around. Double-hooks FTW.

I have a whole drawer in one of my parts boxes that's nothing but trigger parts. Need to get rid of the single-hook and Tapco crap one of these days.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought my AKs decades ago, so all of mine that I had to replace wear Tapco G2s.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

I had a stash and still have one complete un-modded TAKT trigger, they were the best US made trigger IMO (if a person is willing to do the work), shame they're no longer around. Double-hooks FTW.

I have a whole drawer in one of my parts boxes that's nothing but trigger parts. Need to get rid of the single-hook and Tapco crap one of these days.
View Quote

Little trigger job and some use can make a Tapco feel pretty good. Got a few K through the G2 in one of my Saigas. It's feels pretty good now. The next best is the worn in Romy Mod63 RPK FCG. I do really love the ALG AKT too. It's more creep than I want but is nice and light.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Little trigger job and some use can make a Tapco feel pretty good. Got a few K through the G2 in one of my Saigas. It's feels pretty good now.
View Quote

Well I guess that's probably true across the board, but I just don't like 'em enough to try and mess with 'em. Always seemed kinda flimsy.

And with double-hooks you can easily get rid of that mountain of over-travel (in single-hook receivers) among other benefits.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
No complaints with my Tapcos.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The RAK-1 was the best "milspec" type AK trigger I had used. No idea why Century canned them. I should've bought more.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Well I guess that's probably true across the board, but I just don't like 'em enough to try and mess with 'em. Always seemed kinda flimsy.

And with double-hooks you can easily get rid of that mountain of over-travel (in single-hook receivers) among other benefits.
View Quote

What Tapco trigger have you been using? The G2 is beefier than most, if not all, of the triggers I've pulled out of parts kits. The trigger that was in my RPK kit is laughably tiny and thin compared to a G2.

I was talking about the ALG AKT. Too much take up. Not as crisp as I think it should be. Still a nice trigger.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]

What Tapco trigger have you been using? The G2 is beefier than most, if not all, of the triggers I've pulled out of parts kits. The trigger that was in my RPK kit is laughably tiny and thin compared to a G2.

I was talking about the ALG AKT. Too much take up. Not as crisp as I think it should be. Still a nice trigger.
View Quote

Well I don't know what model they are, I didn't buy them, they just came with a couple of different rifles, and I promptly replaced them, I enjoy the time spent hand-fitting a good trigger quite a bit, and it makes night/day difference in the shooting experience.

That overtravel in factory AK triggers just bugged me from the get-go back to the first time I bought one in '91 or '92, got it home and tried the trigger and was like WTF is this commie nonsense? And that was in a Chicom AK which always had arguably the best OEM triggers. Soooooo much travel too, crazy.

I understand though, most guy don't want to invest that kinda time, it does take some work and a lot of practice to get right. But for me I either want to be in bed having sex with the wife, or in the shop making/fixing/altering stuff, sometimes a mixture of both, lol, that's my definition of the good life.

Can't speak to the ALG, never owned one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I use the tapco G2 in like 75% of my AKs. They just feel right.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 4:50:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#14]
Do the Tapco G2's have their name on the hammers?

Just went out to inventory what I do have and sort 'em better, have a couple G2 trigger/disco sets complete and they've got the name/logo stuff on both pieces, but I don't seem to have any hammers stamped Tapco, though I do have a couple that look like they may be correct.

Also have 3 of the early FIME enhanced sets before they started stamping their logo on them, came off Vepr's , that weird hump on the hammers and the high trigger hooks, weird but they worked okay, one of them is from a .308 as it has the deeper relief cut on the hammer to clear the support, had to do a similar cut on the TAKT I replaced it with.

I swear, some of this stuff I have no idea how I got it, lol, don't know where the G2's came from.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Well I don't know what model they are, I didn't buy them, they just came with a couple of different rifles, and I promptly replaced them, I enjoy the time spent hand-fitting a good trigger quite a bit, and it makes night/day difference in the shooting experience.

That overtravel in factory AK triggers just bugged me from the get-go back to the first time I bought one in '91 or '92, got it home and tried the trigger and was like WTF is this commie nonsense? And that was in a Chicom AK which always had arguably the best OEM triggers. Soooooo much travel too, crazy.

I understand though, most guy don't want to invest that kinda time, it does take some work and a lot of practice to get right. But for me I either want to be in bed having sex with the wife, or in the shop making/fixing/altering stuff, sometimes a mixture of both, lol, that's my definition of the good life.

Can't speak to the ALG, never owned one.
View Quote

There is only one Tapco G2 and sadly not made anymore. Every milspec I have in my pile of LPKs is smaller and thinner built than the G2.

The ALG has minimal to no over travel. Lots of ways to fix that anyways.

Meh, I spend my time designing and making shit. I rather make my own than fix somebody else's screw ups. I don't trigger job here and there but I've never had to fit an AK trigger. I have had to weld up a receiver and drill new FCG holes though. Having a personal machine shop is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Mostly Tapco G2’s, which is a design they bought from Gordon Tech way long ago, I actually have some of the original Gordon Tech triggers as well.  And those were based on the chinese design, which is one of the best basic import semi auto AK triggers.  

Have some PSA coated trigger sets to eventually try out, when I get around to it.  Not a huge fan of two stage triggers (like the Arsenal) in general, so something that is cheap and still works well is good enough for me.  AK’s are not my primary rifle platform anyhow.  

Now that I am thinking about Arsenal two stages, not even sure which of my rifles have that design in it!  At least one of them…

I don’t spend much on AR triggers either, an ALG ACT is the usual upgrade.  Good enough to be smooth and not mess up the shot, but not breaking the bank considering the quantity of rifles involved…
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I mostly use ALG triggers but occasionally they can be too light (especially the silver ultimate model) in some rifles. My beater 105 has probably a 2.5 pound pull, so I never loan it to anyone during hunting and religiously keep the safety on, but I really enjoy it myself. Otherwise the only issues I've had with the black ALG models is that sometimes the bump rivet near the trigger hole can interfere, but that's a rivet problem easily fixed by a little sanding, and isn't very common as far as I can tell

Tapco G2s were pretty decent back in the day, and the RAK-1 was reasonable also. The original FA FCG of many AKs are oddly satisfying and typically had a dependable and predictable weight and travel, felt very smooth and in my experience didn't have any grit or sand paper feeling

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:
I bought my AKs decades ago, so all of mine that I had to replace wear Tapco G2s.
View Quote
Damn, how much do you have to shoot to wear out an ak trigger?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
The original FA FCG of many AKs are oddly satisfying and typically had a dependable and predictable weight and travel, felt very smooth and in my experience didn't have any grit or sand paper feeling
View Quote

This.

They have the original geometry, double hooks (at least the ones i've tried) and much shorter travel than later single-hooks which also improves the geometry of the pull itself, single hooks with the long hook contact the hammer at an angle to start the stroke, transition to raking the whole surface area, then at an angle again, they are MUCH more prone to depressing the hammer during the stroke, which adds weight to the pull as you now have to fight the already-compressed hammer spring, so during the beginning of the pull it gets tougher to pull.

Pretty much every AK fresh from the dealer with US or OEM single hooks i've ever seen or handled, do this, just have to pop the dustcover and recoil spring out, cock it then slowly work the trigger, not pulling it all the way mind you, just work it a bit and watch the hammer get pulled down. This amongst other things i've already mentioned, are why I use double-hooks with original geometry that I further modify.

AR's are frequently the same exact way, i've demonstrated this to owners of new ones many times, they complain about heavy gritty triggers and want to dump 200 bucks on a custom trigger, when you can fix this issue in about a minute, AR triggers are waaaaay easier to work on than AK triggers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:
View Quote

A lot. I'm thousands in on my g2 and it now feels good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarlosC:

I believe he is referring to the fact that 15-20 years ago the options were pretty limited for replacement FCG’s.  For affordable triggers sets it was either use G2’s or a soft Century made one…with their bonus trigger slap problem that needed fixing!  (Because they copied the F/A disconnector design, who knows why).  

Today’s available trigger lineup is pretty good, would be nice if someone would bring back the G2 though as they were quite affordable.  Who knows where the original tooling went though in the whole Tapco-> Remington -> bankruptcy -> Sportsmans Warehouse saga.  I think Gordon Tech themselves are long gone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tac556:

I believe he is referring to the fact that 15-20 years ago the options were pretty limited for replacement FCG's.  For affordable triggers sets it was either use G2's or a soft Century made one with their bonus trigger slap problem that needed fixing!  (Because they copied the F/A disconnector design, who knows why).  

Today's available trigger lineup is pretty good, would be nice if someone would bring back the G2 though as they were quite affordable.  Who knows where the original tooling went though in the whole Tapco-> Remington -> bankruptcy -> Sportsmans Warehouse saga.  I think Gordon Tech themselves are long gone.
View Quote
Ah, I read it as "replacing the original when worn out."
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Today’s available trigger lineup is pretty good, would be nice if someone would bring back the G2 though as they were quite affordable.  
View Quote

Yes, but the double-hook versions and lose the sleeve, that always bugged me.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top