Site Notices
Suppressed AK Thread (Page 8 of 8)
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
I decided to paint the Browe with a new colorscheme I've been experimenting on with the AC Unity AK12 knockoff mags
The Perst was already done in FDE by the previous seller and it naturally fell right in place on the SLR104 paint job
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20231130_185928-3046387.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20231130_185923-3046384.jpg

View Quote

Holy smokes that thing beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:45:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#4]
Wanting to try my Turbo K on one of my AK74's. What adapter do I need to mount to the stock threads on a 74?
Thanks

Edit: Forgot to mention, both my 74's are Bulgarian kits that TGI imported for a while.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:51:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: campower] [#5]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Wanting to try my Turbo K on one of my AK74's. What adapter do I need to mount to the stock threads on a 74?
Thanks
View Quote

YHM makes a 14x1 FH that's phantom mount Compatable.

JMAC HUB adapters will work as well.

Check your consentricity first!
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By campower:

YHM makes a 14x1 FH that's phantom mount Compatable.

JMAC HUB adapters will work as well.

Check your consentricity first!
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks

Edit: Forgot to mention, both my 74's are Bulgarian kits that TGI imported for a while.
View Quote

Do you know what the thread pitch is? My WASR is 14L and my Saiga is 26mm and Rearden has muzzle devices for both, and much more. I suppressed both of my AKs using their muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HitTheForwardAssist:

Do you know what the thread pitch is? My WASR is 14L and my Saiga is 26mm and Rearden has muzzle devices for both, and much more. I suppressed both of my AKs using their muzzle devices.
View Quote

I thought only certain Yugo AKs used 26x1.5 are you sure it's not 24x1.5?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks

View Quote

https://www.reardenmfg.com/product-category/muzzle-devices/

Add a atlas mount
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:36:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#11]

Is that the AK Builder thread adaptor? Did you Rocksett it to the muzzle?

I've got one for my M85 to mount my KGM R556, but haven't taken it to the range yet. I Rockett'ed the KGM muzzle device to the thread adaptor, but haven't thread locked the adaptor onto the rifle yet (I'd like to be able to remove it and swap with a muzzlebrake at will, as the can isn't dedicated to this rifle). There's a slight bit of movement in the adaptor/suppressor when attached, but an alignment rod still clears the can.

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Just had a range day with the wasr and resonator. Could turn the da gas block down low low with supers. So fun
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:51:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aimatdeer] [#13]
It is the adapter from akbuilder.com. it threads on nice and snug. Rockset on the adapter to the yhm qd flash hider but not to the threads on the gun. Flash hider with blast deflector is still a fire breathing dragon!!!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Question for you guys: do modern "flow-through" cans really obviate the need for adjustable gas in your typical AKM platform?

More context: I'm ready to finally start buying suppressors, and was hoping to get a rifle can I could run on my 7.62x39mm Vepr. My aim is to make the rifle more enjoyable to shoot, general signature reduction (flash and sound), dampen concussion when shooting indoors, reduce operator hazards (that is, lower decibels at the shooter's ears and not suffer a ton of gas blowback in the process), and minimal impact on weapon functionality. I have zero expectation the rifle will be "quiet", let alone "hearing safe". But, if I can get some significant decrease in noise and blast, without overgassing the gun in the process, I'd be quite happy. From what I can tell, many "flow-through" cans are designed around this use-case, hence my interest.

Another relevant point: to install an KNS adjustable piston on my Vepr would require permanent modification of the bolt carrier, something I'm not willing to do, which means I'd need to not just get the piston, but a spare bolt carrier as well to install it into. Based on a brief search, an AK-74 carrier (per my understanding, the Vepr is derived from the RPK-74M, so it uses a "thin stem" AK-74 BCG, and not an AKM one) is ~$150, and a KNS piston is also ~$150. So, setting up an adjustable gas system would run me ~$300. So, I figure if a low-backpressure can that doesn't need gas adjustment is ~$300 more then a "conventional can", the cost is a wash.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 8Thousand:
Question for you guys: do modern "flow-through" cans really obviate the need for adjustable gas in your typical AKM platform?

More context: I'm ready to finally start buying suppressors, and was hoping to get a rifle can I could run on my 7.62x39mm Vepr. My aim is to make the rifle more enjoyable to shoot, general signature reduction (flash and sound), dampen concussion when shooting indoors, reduce operator hazards (that is, lower decibels at the shooter's ears and not suffer a ton of gas blowback in the process), and minimal impact on weapon functionality. I have zero expectation the rifle will be "quiet", let alone "hearing safe". But, if I can get some significant decrease in noise and blast, without overgassing the gun in the process, I'd be quite happy. From what I can tell, many "flow-through" cans are designed around this use-case, hence my interest.

Another relevant point: to install an KNS adjustable piston on my Vepr would require permanent modification of the bolt carrier, something I'm not willing to do, which means I'd need to not just get the piston, but a spare bolt carrier as well to install it into. Based on a brief search, an AK-74 carrier (per my understanding, the Vepr is derived from the RPK-74M, so it uses a "thin stem" AK-74 BCG, and not an AKM one) is ~$150, and a KNS piston is also ~$150. So, setting up an adjustable gas system would run me ~$300. So, I figure if a low-backpressure can that doesn't need gas adjustment is ~$300 more then a "conventional can", the cost is a wash.
View Quote

I’d say get an adjustable gas block. Makes it do nice, and you can tune it without taking the gun apart if your shooting a mix of suppressed or unsupressed. It has been well worth the cost and time tinkering.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:

I’d say get an adjustable gas block. Makes it do nice, and you can tune it without taking the gun apart if your shooting a mix of suppressed or unsupressed. It has been well worth the cost and time tinkering.
View Quote

I have looked into those, specifically the Definitive Arms offerings and the Occam Defense adjustable blocks. While I really liked the idea of readily accessible and rapidly adjustable gas settings, ultimately I've decided I don't want to do any permanent modification since the rifle is an original factory Russian gun. If we could still get new Veprs though, I'd definitely be tempted to install the Occam AGB/FSB combo and then chop the barrel to 12.5" to create a bastard "RPK-104" with adjustable gas.

9Hole reviews actually recently posted a video where they homebrewed an externally adjustable gas system onto a shorty 7.62x39 Galil ACE specifically so they could quickly dial it as necessary depending on what combo of suppressed vs. unsuppressed and full-power vs. subsonic they where running. Makes me hope for a Galil ACE Gen III with a factory AGB!

Galil PDW (tiny 7.62x39)... better than a 300blk?

I've often wondered why externally adjustable gas blocks aren't more common on AK's. My theory is it's because it's a lot more work to install one vs. a KNS piston combined with there not being a ton of people trying to suppress an AK, but perhaps I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#17]

I have looked into those, specifically the Definitive Arms offerings and the Occam Defense adjustable blocks. While I really liked the idea of readily accessible and rapidly adjustable gas settings, ultimately I've decided I don't want to do any permanent modification since the rifle is an original factory Russian gun. If we could still get new Veprs though, I'd definitely be tempted to install the Occam AGB/FSB combo and then chop the barrel to 12.5" to create a bastard "RPK-104" with adjustable gas.

9Hole reviews actually recently posted a video where they homebrewed an externally adjustable gas system onto a shorty 7.62x39 Galil ACE specifically so they could quickly dial it as necessary depending on what combo of suppressed vs. unsuppressed and full-power vs. subsonic they where running. Makes me hope for a Galil ACE Gen III with a factory AGB!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhholco7S7A

I've often wondered why externally adjustable gas blocks aren't more common on AK's. My theory is it's because it's a lot more work to install one vs. a KNS piston combined with there not being a ton of people trying to suppress an AK, but perhaps I'm missing something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhholco7S7A

True. I have a wasr so I could beat in that without any regrets.  

If it’s going to be a shooter and not a safe queen I’d still go with the adjustable gas block. if your careful all you damage is some paint around the pins, you can switch it back. With the definitive arms block you drill your own pin holes so you can do those anyway you want. It was simpler for me than to try and find/drill out the weld on the gas piston. I did it with a punch, hammer, rubber mallet, and hand drill.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#18]

True. I have a wasr so I could beat in that without any regrets.  

If it’s going to be a shooter and not a safe queen I’d still go with the adjustable gas block. if your careful all you damage is some paint around the pins, you can switch it back. With the definitive arms block you drill your own pin holes so you can do those anyway you want. It was simpler for me than to try and find/drill out the weld on the gas piston. I did it with a punch, hammer, rubber mallet, and hand drill.
View Quote

If I'm being really truthful with myself, this rifle is probably going to effectively be a safe queen. I do shoot it occasionally, and I trust it and have it setup for "serious use" (electrooptic + sling + WML + flashhider), but I've been considering getting a 2nd AK which I wouldn't feel as bad about beating on and tinkering with the way the AK was meant to be abused. The Verpr, I have no doubt, is more than up to being used that way, but again, it's an original factory Russian rifle, and the odds of being able to buy one new again aren't looking very good currently. The part of me that wants to run it into the ground keeps getting overruled by the part of me who wants to preserve it as a piece of firearms history.

My thought was if a "flow-through" suppressor worked good enough for occasional use without modifying the rifle, that would be the preferable route. And if I find myself shooting it enough to want a more optimized setup, I'll take that as a sign to go get another AK and modify it as necessary. Frankly, the Vepr is already pretty disadvantaged if I want to run a can given it's got a 16" barrel with the extra-thick RPK barrel + receiver, making it long and really front heavy. A 10"- 12.5" barrel with a standard AKM barrel profile + receiver seems like a far better suppressor host IMO.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:57:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#20]
Ti 7.62 is off to a good start
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#21]
My first can (yhm fat cat) is in jail still, but I've recently acquired a psa 102 and I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'll mount my suppressor to my 102. It looks like JMAC makes a qd brake that incorporates shims I could use, but I'd rather have a flash hider.

Does anybody have advice for a qd flash hider with 24x1.5rh that will work with the fat cat?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By PainefulCommonSense:
My first can (yhm fat cat) is in jail still, but I've recently acquired a psa 102 and I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'll mount my suppressor to my 102. It looks like JMAC makes a qd brake that incorporates shims I could use, but I'd rather have a flash hider.

Does anybody have advice for a qd flash hider with 24x1.5rh that will work with the fat cat?
View Quote
Based on the fat cat description, it sounds like the sRx  1/2" x 28 Q.D. HUB Adapter is the mounting system, so all you should need for the PSA 102 is a 24x1.5 to 1/2x28 adapter

Griffin Armament makes 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 versions, and I use a ton of them. In fact all most all of my AKs (and one of my SVDs) use the Griffin adapters, though I have also started testing the JMAC KeyMo adapters as well. I have one 24x1.5 and one 14x1 model and so far they are working great

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
Based on the fat cat description, it sounds like the sRx  1/2" x 28 Q.D. HUB Adapter is the mounting system, so all you should need for the PSA 102 is a 24x1.5 to 1/2x28 adapter

Griffin Armament makes 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 versions, and I use a ton of them. In fact all most all of my AKs (and one of my SVDs) use the Griffin adapters, though I have also started testing the JMAC KeyMo adapters as well. I have one 24x1.5 and one 14x1 model and so far they are working great

View Quote

Thank you, was worried about using adapters for a suppressor, do you use rocksett or another thread locker, and if so, on which components?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I also would rather have a flash hider than a brake. I have a flash hider on my yugo with a blast deflector. Its still a fire breathing dragon without the can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Thank you, was worried about using adapters for a suppressor, do you use rocksett or another thread locker, and if so, on which components?
View Quote
Rockset seems to have a better reputation, but I use blue threadlocker, red threadlocker and rockset more or less equally. Rockset holds up better to heat in my observation, but they all break loose under heavy sustained firing
I apply to the muzzle threads to get the muzzle device to stay put, and use it inside the can if it has removable base. Some cans can swap from direct thread to QD flash hiders or QD brakes

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:51:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#26]

View Quote
Yes. As long as your bore is concentric to your threads and you can verify alignment with a good quality and straight alignment rod, a SiCo Velos or HuxWrx Flow-Through is easy mode. HuxWrx even has muzzle devices that fit most of the AK threads.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#27]

View Quote

I think it’s Jmac who also makes straight 74 fsb to hub adapters that even have a built in break to save your baffles a bit. It barely adds any length and doesn’t add extra bits to come loose.

Found it. Link.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Yes. As long as your bore is concentric to your threads and you can verify alignment with a good quality and straight alignment rod, a SiCo Velos or HuxWrx Flow-Through is easy mode. HuxWrx even has muzzle devices that fit most of the AK threads.
View Quote

Excellent, that's what I was hoping to hear - sounds like a flow-through is just the ticket for my current needs.

As for the risk of the bore not being concentric, this is something I've been aware of, and has been a major concern of mine. I've seen "facemount" muzzle devices offered as a possible solution for this, and it sounds fine in theory, but I'm curious to know how common and effective it actually is in practice. Additionally, are there are options worth exploring if my muzzle threads are off?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:37:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#29]

As for the risk of the bore not being concentric, this is something I've been aware of, and has been a major concern of mine. I've seen "facemount" muzzle devices offered as a possible solution for this, and it sounds fine in theory, but I'm curious to know how common and effective it actually is in practice. Additionally, are there are options worth exploring if my muzzle threads are off?
View Quote
I played around with a file and shims on the muzzle on my Saiga with no luck. Some folks have had luck with that. Maybe I was just too timid with my file.

Ecco Machine who makes suppressors and mounts, and is also a long time contributor over in the silencer forum once explained that some of the European AKs have what he calls "Snaky Bores". The bore itself isn't straight in the barrel. Depending on luck, it may actually come out of the muzzle at a very slight angle. Not enough to make sighting an issue or be a problem with a muzzle brake, but enough that you could need like a .40 bore on a 6" long suppressor with 7.62x39.  5.56 and 5.45 re usually easier to accommodate, just use a 30 cal suppressor.

Using a shorter K-Can suppressor can help somewhat too.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Ecco Machine who makes suppressors and mounts, and is also a long time contributor over in the silencer forum once explained that some of the European AKs have what he calls "Snaky Bores". The bore itself isn't straight in the barrel. Depending on luck, it may actually come out of the muzzle at a very slight angle. Not enough to make sighting an issue or be a problem with a muzzle brake, but enough that you could need like a .40 bore on a 6" long suppressor with 7.62x39.  5.56 and 5.45 re usually easier to accommodate, just use a 30 cal suppressor.
View Quote

Well, that's a mildly terrifying prospect. Can anything be done if you run into that short of installing a new barrel?

This is also making me curious as to how overbored the historical Soviet AK suppressors where, since I assume that's how they dealt with all this.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I just ordered a SAM7K that I plan to SBR and run my Huxwrx Flow 762 Ti on. Hux makes the appropriately threaded suppressor mount for it, but my question is are the threads reliably concentric on these?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Always check with a rod. Especially since you spent the extra $ for a TI
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By nictra:
Always check with a rod. Especially since you spent the extra $ for a TI
View Quote

I didn't bother to check any of my nine hosts for my HX-QD 556 and didn't have an issue. But on this setup, and with the Ti, I definitely am. Just ordered a Hux rod this morning.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm normally a bit of a gambler myself, up until I had 1 that was so bad even the wolverine would have had baffle strikes. SGL too. I always check on AKs now. ARs I will check just out of curiosity, but so far every one has passed and I have no fear on them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By nictra:
I'm normally a bit of a gambler myself, up until I had 1 that was so bad even the wolverine would have had baffle strikes. SGL too. I always check on AKs now. ARs I will check just out of curiosity, but so far every one has passed and I have no fear on them.
View Quote

So what do you do to fix the ones that are out of alignment?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:11:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nictra] [#36]
get a crowning tool and a mount that mounts to the face of the barrel, or crown. You can adjust the crown to whichever direction it needs to go to "align" the bore to the suppressor. I think @TX-Zen did this to one of his rifles. I just didn't suppress that SGL.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Form 4 cleared on the Putnik, but won't get to shoot it till this weekend at least due to work.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Suppressed AK Thread (Page 8 of 8)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top