BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2023 11:25:48 AM EDT
...or just give it the Krylon touch?

I got this old fugg-uh-lugg Type 56 here rebuilt on a Childers:

It's kinda rusty in spots... matches the condition of the furniture.

Should I just give it a spray and blaze-on?

Should I send it somewhere to blue just the receiver? Probably the modern rivets won't take blue.

Should I go all-out and add the /66\ or (386) to the trunnion, then reblue?

What is the opinion of the group?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#1]
HMMM... looking at the pic is deceiving- the receiver is the dull parkerized Childers finish and the Chinese parts are the typical rustomatic weak blue found on the world-market arms.

I realize it looks exactly the same in the picture.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What happened to the trunnion? Why was it scrubbed?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Biohawk1:
What happened to the trunnion? Why was it scrubbed?
View Quote

It came from a B. West with a soft ejector/ tin foil receiver.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I would just cold blue it. It looks good already.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd get a pith helmet, Chicom chest rig, make a pair of sandals out of a tire, and rock it as is.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
View Quote

I think I have to learn to cold blue better. My attempts are not very shiny.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 5:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 31stMEUSOC] [#9]
Excuse my language but Fuck bluing it's a shitty protectant all blue really is (Rust) why use this finish?  I get that's what the Chinese used but I say get a can of Brownells matte black or hell semi gloss spray paint less worry on rust build up anyway do what you want!  I am doing my milled type 56 spiker in Matte black. Yup its going to be a shooter anyway do what you want good luck!
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Should have just heat treated the B-West receiver….doable unless the pin holes were already totally egged out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Should have just heat treated the B-West receiver….doable unless the pin holes were already totally egged out.
View Quote

No, all B-West receivers are trash... regardless of prefix.

They were made out of steel in an aluminum siding factory or something. No FFL.

That's why they didn't get heat treated- nobody involved knew anything about firearms.

In 2023, high quality AK receivers are just a click away for the same price as a nice lunch. No need to mess around.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 4:58:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#12]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikev101:

No, all B-West receivers are trash... regardless of prefix.

They were made out of steel in an aluminum siding factory or something. No FFL.

That's why they didn't get heat treated- nobody involved knew anything about firearms.

In 2023, high quality AK receivers are just a click away for the same price as a nice lunch. No need to mess around.
View Quote

Well all AK receivers are made out of steel- what is your point?  Really depends entirely on what alloy they were stamped out of, how much carbon content there was or was not, and there are still ways to introduce carbon into lower carbon alloys as well.

And chinese made B-West receivers are entirely fine.  Not sure if you meant to say all B-West US made ones are trash, but they have their names on plenty of good receivers.

I just know that some B-West receivers were supposedly properly heat treated later on, so it is apparently doable.  

And I do know a bit about various steel alloys used in making AK receiver, and the ways to heat treat them.

If they were 4130 or similar, it would be easy as hell to spot heat treat the pinholes.  Euro receivers are more like 1050 I believe, no experience spot heat treating those but the info is probably out there.  

Plus chinese receivers are 50% thicker to begin with, you don’t need them to be quite as hard as a Euro to last as long.

Anyhow- people/companies have heat treated them.  Used to be an advertised service.  Worth exploring for someone who has one, instead of just swapping it out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Well all AK receivers are made out of steel- what is your point?

And chinese made B-West receivers are entirely fine.  
View Quote

Not sure if you're just seeking disagreement on the internet, but I'm well aware that AK receivers are made out of steel, and also that B-West receivers that are not B-West receivers, but merely imports are GTG.

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top