Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/12/2022 6:45:41 PM EDT
I ordered the lower mount for my sam7sf, the ak301m. Thank you primary arms! Now I just need to figure out which optic to get.

I've narrowed it down to a 7.62x39 Acog or an aimpoint t1/t2.

Can't figure out which one.

Anyone got any ideas?

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
On an AK? Aimpoint definitely the cartridge shines up close

I could see a 1.5x Acog
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the attero arms mount that replaces the rear sight and mounted a Sig Romeo 5.  Shoots about 3 MOA at 100 yds...which is acceptable to me for an UF AK.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I am going to try the TA50c with a piggyback rmr.

RS  AK-302m / AKOT compact mount / TA50c / RM54 / RMR 1moa dot

Just waiting on the acog to show up now...
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
I ordered the lower mount for my sam7sf, the ak301m. Thank you primary arms! Now I just need to figure out which optic to get.

Anyone got any ideas?

View Quote

TA50 ACOG all the way. I had a T-2 on my M70 at one point then swapped to an ACOG.

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Anyone got any ideas?

View Quote

What are you planning on doing with it?

An Aimpoint will be faster close up, but the lack of holdover marks will cause struggles at longer ranges (like 300m+) with 7.62x39. An ACOG won't be as fast for close up shooting, but will help to ID targets and get eh right hold over at range.

With 7.62x39 ranging is more important because of the poor trajectory when compared to 556 NATO or 5.45x39.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AubrayJ:

An Aimpoint will be faster close up, but the lack of holdover marks will cause struggles at longer ranges (like 300m+) with 7.62x39. An ACOG won't be as fast for close up shooting, but will help to ID targets and get eh right hold over at range.

With 7.62x39 ranging is more important because of the poor trajectory when compared to 556 NATO or 5.45x39.

AJ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AubrayJ:

Anyone got any ideas?

AJ

Neat video by Robski about red dot zero

Running AK with Red Dot - 7.62x39
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

@fadedsun , Which did you finally choose? Curious if you bought the TA50 Acog how the cheek weld is with the SAM7sf stock?
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SnidelyWhiplash:

@fadedsun , Which did you finally choose? Curious if you bought the TA50 Acog how the cheek weld is with the SAM7sf stock?
View Quote

I haven’t bought the top part of the mount for the rail mount yet.

But I also haven’t made up my mind
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnidelyWhiplash] [#9]

I haven’t bought the top part of the mount for the rail mount yet.

But I also haven’t made up my mind
View Quote

Given the date of your initial post it’s obvious you’re a man who likes to study and fully research rather than making a hasty decision.

I’m really tempted to give the ACOG TA50 a try on my SAM7sf but I’m really worried about the cheek weld. I despise a “chin” weld on a rifle. I have a ZPAP M70 with an Attero Bravo / Aimpoint T2 and that’s a great lower third co-witness height but a little magnification would sure help my aging eyes on this SAM7sf build.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SnidelyWhiplash:

Given the date of your initial post it’s obvious you’re a man who likes to study and fully research rather than making a hasty decision.

I’m really tempted to give the ACOG TA50 a try on my SAM7sf but I’m really worried about the cheek weld. I despise a “chin” weld on a rifle. I have a ZPAP M70 with an Attero Bravo / Aimpoint T2 and that’s a great lower third co-witness height but a little magnification would sure help my aging eyes on this SAM7sf build.
View Quote

I’m in my late 30s and so far I’ve had the same prescription for contacts since probably 2002. I haven’t noticed any trouble picking up stuff but I suspect when I hit 40 I will.

I have the rs regulate lower I just need to figure out if I’m
Going with an aimpoint or acog and after almost a year still no decision has been made!
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#11]
I like the primary arms 3x micro prism. Not a lot of practice with it but feels decent with snapshots up close. 3x seems to be the max magnification I can shoot both eyes open up close, have a 4x that doesn’t work as well.

I’d say acog unless you have night vision and want to passively aim.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#12]
For a side rail mount (rs regulate), the T2 is incredible. You can still see irons through it. This is my preferred AK setup.

If you have a railed top cover, I agree the ACSS Raptor 3x from PA is excellent.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#13]

I’m in my late 30s and so far I’ve had the same prescription for contacts since probably 2002. I haven’t noticed any trouble picking up stuff but I suspect when I hit 40 I will.

I have the rs regulate lower I just need to figure out if I’m
Going with an aimpoint or acog and after almost a year still no decision has been made!
View Quote

TA-50 with an RMR mounted.... best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 1/4/2024 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an ACOG, one of thr earlier gen 4x .223 units with the fiber optic.  The glass quality and Window box of viewing is beyond amazing.

That said, as a general purpose rifle that will include 10 yard CQB, 4x is just too much fixed magnification.  I ended up switching it out for a fixed 2.5X CQB other brand (Primary Arms). That gives some magnification, yet will still CQB.  And isn't obtrusive large and heavy, like a LPVO.    I'm the one guy in the room not sold on LPVO's.  

I did move the ACOG to a more dedicated Grendel field hunting gun, where <10 yard shots are not in the mission statement.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I have acogs and PA prisms on the majority of my ARs but I like RDS on my AKs for some reason.

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top