Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/29/2024 3:12:15 PM EDT
My 4 good shooting buddies and I have been shooting AK rifles in 7.62x39 caliber since 1990's.  We would pool our money and buy ammo by pallets as they were less than $100 per case.  For over 20 years we were shooting about 1,500 rounds between 5 of us pretty much every Saturday mornings but later we shot less as some moved to 5.45x39 caliber AKs.  We shot all kinds of AK rifles from all over Eastern Europe and China and used magazines from every part of the world.  

Last weekend we were talking about reliability of AK rifles and we all agreed two AK magazines seems to be stand out as completely reliable and durable.  We all agreed 30 round AK mags from East Germany were probably the most reliable AK mags we've used.  I personally don't remember ever having a problem with this mag.  The other mag was the Hungarian 20 round mags which came in when AMD-65 kits were coming in to the market.  I have used these for couple years and were great mags.  One of my friend used these 20 round mags exclusively since about 2005 and never had one malfunction in his various 7.62 caliber AK rifles.

In reality most AK mags made in country that also manufactured AK rifles seems to work well.  I had some exception with few Chinese steel mags (flat backs) and some well used mags imported from Bosnia and KCI.  Unfortunately every US AK mags (Promag, Magpul, Tapco) all had failures...some more than others.  

What has been your experience with various AK magazines?  Which AK mags do you think are most reliable and durable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I never really had any bad ak mags.  Had lots of em . Drums too.  No usa made ones.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had a problem AK mag. My most used are my 20rnd KCI.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't honestly remember having a malfunction, but all i've ever used is combloc steel.

EG's are certainly the nicest, I have a few, Hungarian 30's are very nice too as are Yugo's. But even beat-to-shit Romanians work flawlessly for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoomBoom] [#4]
I’ve never had and issue with any of my AK mags. I have Chinese flatbacks, a verity of comblocks (Yugo, Polish, Romanian, and few unknowns) and Bulgarian waffle circle 10s. They just work. My favorites are the Chinese and the Bulgarian waffle circle 10 because they don’t have that annoying rib in the back. Also the Bulgarian Circle 10s are much lighter. All of mine are old, purchase decades ago. The good old days when those mags were just $8.00.

I can’t speak for the current production Yugo, Bulgarian, or Korean mags.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Never had issues with Warsaw Pact surplus. Even newer Bosnian, Bulgarian and Polis no problems. But I have has problems and stops with US and Korean made AK mags
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:56:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DoorKicker] [#6]
I never considered myself an AK guy, but I have always had at least 1 AK in my collection.  Until very recently, all my mags were in one plastic tub and I never knew what country they came from.

That all changed last year, I really got into AKs, and that lead me naturally to being into AK mags.

I had maybe 20-30 and now have close to 300.  My AK mag collection grew in a very short time and my OCD requires that I have them all stored in pouches, if possible, in a pouch made in the same country as the magazine... I have damn near every country covered...

Romanian
East German
Russian
Hungarian
Polish
Yugoslavian
Bulgarian
Chinese
Korean
Croatian (only ones I consider not worth trying)
and several USA manufactured ones as well. For some reason I must store them all in pouches too.

As far as reliability goes, if they fit in your AK, they almost certainly function.  I think I have had maybe 2 or 3 not fit in all of my AKs, and I just dont use them.

When I first set out to test my AK mags, I thought I was going to need to cull out lots of them.  But they all just seemed to work.  

I don't subscribe to the durability torture test train of thought though.  If the mags fits and functions, it is good in my book.  Not planning on hard abuse on any AK mags.

Unlike with AR15 mags, and just about every other type of guns I have, Collecting the AK mags is part of the fun of collecting AK rifles.  I have never really searched for AR15 mags, I just bought them and used them
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I had 4 croation mags my zastava m70 just did not like. Flawless with zastava mag, a couple bulgarians and pmags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Never had a problem AK mag. My most used are my 20rnd KCI.
View Quote

@Deerhurst

Around how many rounds have gone through your KCIs? And which AK?

I think KCI AK mags are over criticized due to them not being com-bloc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:13:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peacematu:

@Deerhurst

Around how many rounds have gone through your KCIs? And which AK?

I think KCI AK mags are over criticized due to them not being com-bloc.
View Quote

Thousands through first Gen KCI 20rnd mags through a Saiga. Dammed near every round through that rifle has been with a KCI 20rnd. I used to run ~1000rnds every 1-3 months through that rifle depending on shoot schedule. Did that for 5+ years.

I'm willing to bet they are over criticized because they are not exactly what everybody thinks they want. I'll run 1000+rnds through 4-6 of them in a weekend class and after the class folks will ask what mags then be offended that the KCI ran fine.

Now I have some rusky slab sides to run! Yay! Finally I have steel 30s!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Also shooting AKs since the 90s.  For me the milspec comm block and chinese have always the best in terms of reliability and bang for your buck (only bad ones where visibly damaged as in very large dents that obviously impeded the follower -  got rid of those).  Next up are the Bulgi (10)s - never had an issue with those either.  The russian and chinese bakes look cool obviously  but I think are more collector money these days so I dont really use them.  I have had good luck with magpul in a Sharps Bros receiver.  I am sure i am forgetting a few.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I got my first AK in the early 80s. It's probably easier to list the least reliable AK mags because most of the actual military AK mags work. The 30 round detachable box AK magazine is the most durable and reliable mag ever made.
I have Chinese and they all work but my favorite are the East German and Polish. I bought a couple crates when the surplus from both countries hit our shores many Moons ago. Even worn military made mags work, sometimes you just have to pop a new mag spring in them.

The only newer mags I've bought and didn't care for were Yugos and Croatians, the Croatians are junk.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Only bad mag I’ve had were damaged. Tapco, magpull, commie, all good.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top