Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/4/2024 11:31:57 PM EDT
How common is it to knurl the barrel to get the gas block to fit?  Does it happen a lot?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:14:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Never?
That's what the taper pins or set screws are for.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems like knurling would mess with the gas seal but what do I know.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boisestatefan:
Never?
View Quote

I believe the knurling is done to raise the surface metal on the barrel because the circumference of the gas block is too large.

I don't think taper pins or set screws will help the issue.  Although they should be installed after the knurling and block is fit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Fugger:
Seems like knurling would mess with the gas seal but what do I know.
View Quote

This has crossed my mind.  I am not sure if they use Permatex or green loctite to help.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If a gas block journal needs knurling it's better to peen the side of the journal opposite the gas port. This will pull the gas block down against the port and create a seal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Boisestatefan:
Never?
View Quote

Wrong side of the tracks, hombre.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99] [#7]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
If a gas block journal needs knurling it's better to peen the side of the journal opposite the gas port. This will pull the gas block down against the port and create a seal.
View Quote

That totally makes sense.  Is this a bad thing or does it just happen that the block and journal do not mate well at times?

Does it affect the durability in anyway?  Is the gas block still robust after knurling and pinned in place?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Knurling works fine depending on tolerance / fit of the parts.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Great photo thanks.  Good to know.  That knurling job looks like it was done on a lathe.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Milspec99:
Great photo thanks.  Good to know.  That knurling job looks like it was done on a lathe.
View Quote

Correct.
Scissor type knurling tool / M1A barrel.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:28:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99] [#11]
Actually my mistake.  I should have inquired about knurling the barrel under the front sight block.  Same premise I am sure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:01:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#12]
Originally Posted By Milspec99:
Actually my mistake.  I should have inquired about knurling the barrel under the front sight block.  Same premise I am sure.
View Quote

I don't have a knurling tool but ran into this issue with an AoA barrel and Bulgarian parts. The FSB could be practically slid on by hand. I just used an auto center punch to stagger small divots into the journal where the FSB would install, creating small raised areas around the divots. It worked just fine.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top