Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2024 12:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KTMmx001]
Remember the cool AKM w/Triangle side folding stocks we all started calling the Khyber Pass AKM? Bin Laden and some Uzbek Infantry originally made them very famous and popular to build. We all speculated they were Uzbek built.

I wonder now if they were really Ukranian Lighthouse MKM-072sb National Guard rifles?

MKM-072Sb
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Who knows?

I've been a bit curious about whether or not Ukraine ever had any domestic AK manufacturing ability. As far as I know, the answer is no. Even this rifle that appears to have gone through some rearsenaling process, is still an Izhmash built rifle.

If you turn on English translations he also explains how the rifle has been modified to only accept blocked 10rd magazines which is why there is an extra screw on one side in the receiver - to block the insertion of any unmodified 20/30rd magazine.

Retarded gun laws exist everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KTMmx001] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mancat:
Who knows?

I've been a bit curious about whether or not Ukraine ever had any domestic AK manufacturing ability. As far as I know, the answer is no. Even this rifle that appears to have gone through some rearsenaling process, is still an Izhmash built rifle.

If you turn on English translations he also explains how the rifle has been modified to only accept blocked 10rd magazines which is why there is an extra screw on one side in the receiver - to block the insertion of any unmodified 20/30rd magazine.

View Quote

Agreed, it's not a Ukrainian manufactured AKM. It's merely a Russian AKM left behind when the Red Army went home in 1991, probably hundreds of thousands were sitting in arsenals like that all over the ex-Soviet Union. The Ukrainian’s reworked in a side-folder, added thre own front trunnion engraving, civilian versions get the magazine restriction, etc. I've seen military versions referred to as "National Guard" AKM's. My guess is possibly some of the mil versions were sold to Uzbekistan – maybe. Hence the factory looking appearance of the Uzbek and Bin-Laden photos – maybe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice video find.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#5]
the rifle has been modified to only accept blocked 10rd magazines which is why there is an extra screw on one side in the receiver - to block the insertion of any unmodified 20/30rd magazine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
the rifle has been modified to only accept blocked 10rd magazines which is why there is an extra screw on one side in the receiver - to block the insertion of any unmodified 20/30rd magazine.

Don't think its the screw. There's a rivet in the dimple on the right side that block the mag. Couldn't tell what the screw was for.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the story with Bin Ladens was it was a real russian one.  The russian special forces and the derka derka people were fighting.  It was a big badge of honor to be toting around an AK captured off a russian spetznaz.

Bin Laden, being a leader, carried the gun around for show.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my last posts on TheAKForum was posting a pick of one of these guns. I don’t remember where it was from, but the lack of caring was a good indicator that the old days on that forum were gone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:42:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#8]
Originally Posted By Farmer-Ted:

Don't think its the screw. There's a rivet in the dimple on the right side that block the mag. Couldn't tell what the screw was for.

Agreed.
View Quote

Yeah I was talking about the right side and it does look like a rivet

The screw on the left, it looks to me like the folder latch is not installed into a bottom hinge rivet like it is on a normal 74 style stock and the screw probably retains it or the spring somehow. Can't really see

For that matter the rear trunnion is clearly a modified regular AKM trunnion that may have the hinge plate welded to it. The release button is not in the normal place and you can see that  the buttstock sits lower than it normally would

Weird modification
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
I thought the story with Bin Ladens was it was a real russian one.  The russian special forces and the derka derka people were fighting.  It was a big badge of honor to be toting around an AK captured off a russian spetznaz.

Bin Laden, being a leader, carried the gun around for show.
View Quote

That was his AKS-74U. His Krink..

That was in almost all his videos.

There was one video though, around 2001-2002ish that he was shooting what we all labeled the "Khyber Pass AKM"..

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:56:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KTMmx001] [#10]
I found some of the Uzbek military photos and the Bin-Laden photos that kicked off this popular build.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool variant. I've still got my Henderson Khyber rifle in that style. I think Lumpy actually got me looking for one 10-15yrs ago
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I noticed a few things...the dude wore no hearing protection that I could see. Second, the gun fired in semi, whether it was in full auto or semi - is that what you saw as well? Third, the mix of authentic parts and home-made parts is interesting.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:
I noticed a few things...the dude wore no hearing protection that I could see. Second, the gun fired in semi, whether it was in full auto or semi - is that what you saw as well? Third, the mix of authentic parts and home-made parts is interesting.
View Quote

I noticed both of those points as well.... no hearing protection. Wow. Also, if you look at the video around the 5:36 mark you'll get a good look at the internals of the gun. I think it might be missing a part?  :)

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#15]
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:
Heres a clean pic of one in use

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4BY8c_rj6Z/?igsh=ZHkxOW9mOWR0OHdn
View Quote
Is that a 90deg gas block on that?  Maybe just looks that way due to the angle. Looks like an AKM front sight and a suppressor threaded directly on the barrel though.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:03:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#16]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Is that a 90deg gas block on that?  Maybe just looks that way due to the angle. Looks like an AKM front sight and a suppressor threaded directly on the barrel though.

View Quote

Very late model AKM gas block. The casting was changed for some reason but they are still 45deg.

AFAIK these are typically seen on 1970s dated Russian AKMs, some in production simultaneously with the AK-74

https://www.apexgunparts.com/russian-tula-akm-cast-gas-block-vg.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Very late model AKM gas block. The casting was changed for some reason but they are still 45deg.

AFAIK these are typically seen on 1970s dated Russian AKMs, some in production simultaneously with the AK-74

https://www.apexgunparts.com/russian-tula-akm-cast-gas-block-vg.html
View Quote
Ah! OK, that's why it looks weird from the angle in the pic.  I've never noticed these before. Thanks for the info.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top