User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2024 8:26:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210]
Years ago when I wanted a 5.56 AK (to go with my 7.62x39 AKs, not instead of) and off the shelf options were few (I ended up getting a 5.56 Saiga). Now it seems like everyone selling AKs has a few 5.56 AK models, with more coming.  Some of the cool new models aren't even available in 7.62x39.

Is this the beginning of a 5.56 AK master race?  Will the 5.56 AK start to eclipse the 7.62x39 AK here in the US?

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a huge AK , but I have a number of them in 7.62x39 and 5.45. I held out on any in 5.56 but with current political trends and the costs going up I gave in and picked up the PSA Krink in 5.56. Just easier to maintain supply.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
As a die hard 5.45 > 5.56 man…….. I no longer own any 5.45 or 7.62 AKs. It just doesn’t make sense anymore. I never thought I’d see the day brass 5.56 was cheaper than steel 5.45, here we are.

It just makes more sense to have a 5.56 AK, OP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:44:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#3]
With the price of 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo being much more than 5.56mm ammo, I predict 5.56mm AKs will sell much better here than traditional caliber AKs in the near future.

The craziness is that AKs used to be dirt cheap, now they are spensive, and ARs used to be spensive, now you can buy them for $399.

Don't get me wrong, I love my AKs, but they are still crude trash can guns.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _DR:
With the price of 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo being much more than 5.56mm ammo, I predict 5.56mm AKs will sell much better here than traditional caliber AKs in the near future.

The craziness is that AKs used to be dirt cheap, now they are spensive, and ARs used to be spensive, now you can buy them for $399.

View Quote

Pretty accurate
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Ammo cost / availability has always been the driving consideration for me, so yes, any gun I plan to use a primary weapons is getting the easier to find / cheaper ammo.

A gun  I don’t shoot much / isn’t heavily used can be in a oddball / expensive/ hard to get caliber, but my main guns caliber needs to be found at 9 out of 10 local places that sell ammo. Which is 308 / 5.56.

Now if I lived in Russia / Ukraine etc, sure 5.45x39 is a great choice as it’s everywhere and cheap.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By _DR:

View Quote

Yup. The only reason I used aks / aks were a attractive option in the 90s was I could buy 2 AK-47s, a pile of mags and case of ammo cheaper than a single bare bones ar-15 rifle.

Now it’s reversed, I can buy 2 ar-15 rifles, a pile of mags and case of ammo cheaper than a single ak-47.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It's all up to PSA now IMO

If they can produce domestic 5.45 cheap enough to support their own AKs and all the zillions of combloc imports then we'll be good, otherwise 5.56 will end up replacing 5.45. The world no longer favors cheap import 5.45 ammo

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:

If they can produce domestic 5.45 cheap enough to support their own AKs and all the zillions of combloc imports then we'll be good, otherwise 5.56 will end up replacing 5.45. The world no longer favors cheap import 5.45 ammo

View Quote

I would agree with that...if they can make it inexpensively, the 5.45 may make a comeback. You'd think so if they're the only game in town.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:

I would agree with that...if they can make it inexpensively, the 5.45 may make a comeback. You'd think so if they're the only game in town.
View Quote
not just about price for me, it's about availability. I still have like 4k of 5.45, but I ain't shootin it. I still love my 74s / 105 / AKSU over many of my other rifles, but they just aren't a serious weapon for me right now.

Get me the ability to buy 1,00's of rounds again, and I'll put em back on the top of my list.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I hope for the day of shooting 5.45 returns to being as cheap, if not cheaper than 5.56

5.56 has more room for growth and development, but the Soviets did a good job of developing a optimized combat caliber
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Mouseguns taking over.....I has a depression now.

I'm gonna go wallow in my .30 cal ammo fort until I feel better.

I believe conflicts will end though, and ammo suppliers will want to keep selling. It's a good way to eventually help re-build Ukraine, really not okay with using my tax dollars but I will buy a bunch of cheap 7.62 if they make it and import it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:45:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#12]

View Quote
Yeah, but even then they'd be a single source.  You can get 5.56 from multiple sources and depending on political and market conditions, it can go on sale occasionally for a relatively cheap price.

I'm just not sure if we'll ever see Zastava, or the Romanians or the Poles bring a new 5.45x39 AK into the US just because PSA is making ammo for them, but I can see them bringing in new models of 5.56 AKs.

The real question is will there be a business case for new 7.62x39 AKs as much as new 5.56 AKs in the future?

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By R0N:

I hope for the day of shooting 5.45 returns to being as cheap, if not cheaper than 5.56

5.56 has more room for growth and development, but the Soviets did a good job of developing a optimized combat caliber
View Quote

I agree 100%. 5.45 is my favorite intermediate cartridge to shoot. And surplus mags of either 7.62 or 5.45 are damn near bulletproof.

But outside of PSA who's going to provide competition to drive the price back down? Only the Tela imports have appeared recently at well over 50 CPR. If PSA is the sole source, I just don't see them pricing it where it would be competitive to just shooting 5.56 instead.

Look where we are with 7.62x39, more than two years after getting cutoff from the cheap Russian stuff. I'd love to be able to mag dump drum after drum into the berm again, but unless you pay to play I'm not seeing it coming back anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
545 master race! 545 is my favorite small rifle cartridge to shoot.

I am very excited to see PSA deliver it. I hope it kicks other MFGs into gear. I'd like to see more brass a components for 545 as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm also a diehard 5.45 AK guy, but Kalashnikov USA's AK101 clone is looking really good right now...

I was going to hold out until they make a 74M clone, but the 101 certainly makes much more sense at this point.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there legit reliable 556 ak mags?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:36:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KoolOperator] [#17]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:
View Quote

And this is the bigger problem.

For a long time there was no "standard" magazine.

It's getting better, in the sense that (I think) most non-Russian pattern 556 ak's are out of production. Arsenal and Zastava are the last standing and most productive, I think they will leave the pattern to follow.

Yeah I know Radom and IWI have 556 things going on but they are not that popular.

Romanian, Norinco, Weigar, Valmet, etc all made 556 models that just didn't catch on when x39 and mags were so cheap.

I'm never going to pay Arsenal or KVAR prices for a magazine. Has anyone used the AC Unity 556 mags?

I have some for my mp5 clone, they were snug fit but otherwise fine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah I shoot 5.56mm more than anything these days. Still have some 7.62x39 guns because of nostalgia. Was going to buy a 5.45 Krinkov, but decided against it due to ammo drying up. Went 5.56 instead and have been happy with it. Run Polish mags and they are very reliable. Also have one bakelite 5.45 mag with 3D printed 5.56 follower. It's been reliable with the new follower.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Ac unity, psa, arsenal, zastava, wbp, and somebody else (gunmagwarehouse) all make cross compatible 556 ak mags starting at 14.99.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the move for 5.56 to replace 5.45 was more or less inevitable but very much accelerated by sanctions. The 7.62 drought is probably more temporary but may take many years to fully play out. The AKM is still the most common and iconic design by far, and the round is more powerful and barrier-blind and therefore appealing for hunting and "mag dumping into trash" and related recreational pursuits.

The old prices for 7.62 might never come back, but they said the same after Chinese ammo got banned (yet factoring inflation prices recovered from that). 7.62 uses more lead and gunpowder to manufacture, but the tolerances are more forgiving and the omission of copper/brass (and compatibility with low-quality powder) likely keeps the production cost competitive against 5.56. Tooling will take a long time for mfg to source at scale but it's hardly impossible given enough time, and there are enough 7.62 AKs already in civilian (millions perhaps) and military hands (tens of millions easily) to keep demand going for decades.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#21]
5.56 was always more friendly than the Russian rounds to indoor ranges (both for brass recycling and for fewer steel jacket-induced fires), but the tooling domestically and abroad for 5.56 AKs was lacking until fairly recently. It's also more logistically convenient for US end users, retailers, and manufacturers to stock a round functionally similar to 5.45 but already in widespread use. The lack of standardization of TDP between makers and reduced pop culture presence is still slowing down 5.56 AK distribution relative to 7.62, and the reduced barrel lifespan (5-10k for nitride, 10-15k for chrome-lined with very limited availability of the latter) isn't great either.

I think people tend to forget that outdoor ranges are readily accessible by only a fraction of gun owners (limiting use of steel-cased, steel-jacketed ammo) and that corrosive ammo is enough of an inconvenience for most shooters to avoid it. 5.45 was only ever as accessible as it was because 7N6 was a pain to deal with for the uninformed, and if (mediocrely) trained soldiers are prone to to letting their guns rust from it (just look at Yugo surplus barrels with extensive M67 use) then the hapless idiot with the Tapco scope isn't gonna fair much better. A lot of new shooters are exposed to guns through indoor ranges and rentals, and that's gonna steer people away from 5.45 as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:46:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AugustineBolishbatfe] [#22]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

Is this the beginning of a 5.56 AK master race?  

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#23]
AK and mags in 5.56, accurate, reliable, dependable, available and affordable.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Unit-59:
AK and mags in 5.56, accurate, reliable, dependable, available and affordable.
View Quote

until you get to the shorter barreled versions, at least in my experience. I'm seeing the reports of lackluster accuracy with PSAs Krink. I have the same issue with my Gen 1 ACE built into a MAR clone.

The true beauty of 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 is that in the shorter barrels they still behave well, whereas 5.56/.223 seems to have issues. That and the tapered case vs flat(ish) wall case feeding problems in AKs in the past.

I will give it to the industry that they are now seeming to come together on a basic mag pattern.

My son just bought one of PSA's 102s, I'm still waiting for their GF5 102 to come out before I buy one. I'm assuming the 5.56/.223 will shoot fine out of the 12" barrel. I won't be able to test his until this summer, but I do plan on running quite a few rounds through it and to test accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:04:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#25]
View Quote
Best bets are Bulgarian, Polish, PSA.

I got lucky and stocked up on Circle 10s and they've been 100% for me in my Saiga. The Commercial Bulgarians at GunMagWarehouse also seem to get high marks. I just bought some but haven't tried them yet.

I also just bought a Beryl so I get to see how Bulgarian and Polish mag compatibility goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed there. The FB Radom mags cost more than twice as much as the GMW commercial Bulgarians.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Best bets are Bulgarian, Polish, PSA.

I got lucky and stocked up on Circle 10s and they've been 100% for me in my Saiga. The Commercial Bulgarians at GunMagWarehouse also seem to get high marks. I just bought some but haven't tried them yet.

I also just bought a Beryl so I get to see how Bulgarian and Polish mag compatibility goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed there. The FB Radom mags cost more than twice as much as the GMW commercial Bulgarians.

View Quote

The psa claims steel reinforced, but is it the same as russian/circle 10s???
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Once Magpul makes 5.56mm magazines, it will be a sealed deal.

I have two 7.62 AKs; WASR and AK-P that is SBRed. 5.45 is a good caliber, but that boat sailed before I got that heavy into AKs (I bought my WASR in NJ just to have an AK). I was looking at a PSA 101 side folder, but have things way higher on the list to purchase.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:12:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Unit-59] [#28]
Originally Posted By Screwball:
View Quote

Why is Magpul not producing AK 5.56 mags yet? Seems it would be a fairly good seller if it functioned well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#29]

The psa claims steel reinforced, but is it the same as russian/circle 10s???
View Quote
Don't know. They say Steel Reinforcements Front and Back, Steel Feed Lips, Steel Locking Lugs.  Sounds good to me. I only own one and only because it came with my Krink last week. I haven't tested it myself, but it looks good to me. Do some searching. Comments seem positive with them (I think they had a problem with a 1st gen version, then fixed the issues since)

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-1074-ak-smooth-side-magazine-assembly-30-rd-5-56x45mm.html

I bought a bunch of new Bulgarians from GunmagWarehouse. They show a picture of the reinforcements.  They are pretty cheap compared to the other mags on the market too. At the price it's worth buying a couple and trying them out, torture testing, whatever.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bulgarian-ak-74-5-56x45mm-30-round-reinforced-steel-lug-polymer-magazine.html

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I like AKs but only have a Krink - a SLR.
I really didn't want to stock on other calibers so I got it in 5.56

krink by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I picked up a few Bulgarian mags to try out. Loading them up and snapping them in and had no issues. Will try and get out with them in a few weeks to see.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Screwball:

I have two 7.62 AKs; WASR and AK-P that is SBRed. 5.45 is a good caliber, but that boat sailed before I got that heavy into AKs (I bought my WASR in NJ just to have an AK). I was looking at a PSA 101 side folder, but have things way higher on the list to purchase.
View Quote

Doubtful. Market is saturated with cheap reliable options already. They missed the boat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By PainefulCommonSense:

Doubtful. Market is saturated with cheap reliable options already. They missed the boat.
View Quote
Agreed. PSA beat them to it.

I never thought Magpul's 7.62x39 mags were that great anyway. PSA's are at least just as good, if not better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:15:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#34]
Yeah, but even then they'd be a single source.  You can get 5.56 from multiple sources and depending on political and market conditions, it can go on sale occasionally for a relatively cheap price.

View Quote
No commie caliber domestically produced will ever be cheaper than 223/556, so while what you're saying is true, it's also not relevant to this 5.45 discussion, and isn't a factor in my opinion (not being combative). As you definitely know, most 5.45 shooters got into it because the surplus was ridiculously cheaper than domestic 223, but now that 5.45 surplus is so expensive, a decent chunk of shooters got out of the 5.45 game

My point was that the only way 5.45 will survive in the US is if PSA can make it cheap enough, but it's almost certainly never going to be cheaper. I'll pay more for domestic 5.45 than I would for 223 because I like the caliber, same as I would for domestic 9x39 just because I like that round a lot and can't get surplus any more

That's the real market...people who like a caliber, vs people who want to shoot cheaper. Again, not being combative. I say this mostly because Dragyn isn't the smartest guy I know, and he needs some help understanding sometimes

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#35]

My point was that the only way 5.45 will survive in the US is if PSA can make it cheap enough, but it's almost certainly never going to be cheaper. I'll pay more for domestic 5.45 than I would for 223 because I like the caliber, same as I would for domestic 9x39 just because I like that round a lot and can't get surplus any more

View Quote

I agree with one caveat - I'll pay more for domestic 5.45 than I would for .223 provided it is quality ammunition. If the PSA offering ends up being more like Tula than Vympel I am out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#36]
No commie caliber domestically produced will ever be cheaper than 223/556, so while what you're saying is true, it's also not relevant to this 5.45 discussion, and isn't a factor in my opinion (not being combative). As you definitely know, most 5.45 shooters got into it because the surplus was ridiculously cheaper than domestic 223, but now that 5.45 surplus is so expensive, a decent chunk of shooters got out of the 5.45 game

That's the real market...people who like a caliber, vs people who want to shoot cheaper. Again, not being combative. I say this mostly because Dragyn isn't the smartest guy I know, and he needs some help understanding sometimes
View Quote
I agree with what you are saying. There will always be die hards and rifle collectors.

My point of the thread though is will the average AK buyer lean into 5.56 over 7.62 and 5.45 in the future?  And most of all will AK manufacturers and importers start moving towards 5.56 AKs in the future?

10 years ago 7.62 was king in the AK market. What AK caliber will be king 10 years from now?

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#37]

I agree with what you are saying. There will always be die hards and rifle collectors.

My point of the thread though is will the average AK buyer lean into 5.56 over 7.62 and 5.45 in the future?  And most of all will AK manufacturers and importers start moving towards 5.56 AKs in the future?

10 years ago 7.62 was king in the AK market. What AK caliber will be king 10 years from now?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm betting it's 556. It makes the most sense to me all around, but I'm also the guy that has no use for 7.62x39 and genuinely believes 5.45 was the smarter choice by the Soviets. I may always have a blind spot there

6.5 Grendel though? Now that is the 30 cal round that the AK105 should be using and I'd go all in myself, assuming high quality projectiles like M262, 855A1 or similar rounds with excellent terminal performance and barrier penetration. I'd be down like a clown if the mags kept the rifle as reliable as the 5.45. I can't see a downside for 6.5 Grendel, but 7.62x39 just isn't there projectilewise for me. I doubt I'll ever need accuracy past 300m with any rifle, but I have had excellent results at 500-600m on numerous occasions with my 105 and fullsize 74s using 7N6

Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:
I agree with one caveat - I'll pay more for domestic 5.45 than I would for .223 provided it is quality ammunition. If the PSA offering ends up being more like Tula than Vympel I am out.
Absolutely no disagreement there. Some of that imported stuff was complete garbage

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Lol, it's true, I ain't the sharpest splinter in the woodpile.

But that's also why I wouldn't try to prognosticate the future, never know what's gonna be available, so I gave myself choices, I have a nice pile of x39, 5.56, and .308, and great rifles to shoot 'em all with. I don't see a point in going all in with just one caliber.

I feel a revival is coming one of these days, AK's are selling like hotcakes, and newer generations are going to want to know what it's like to shoot one in 7.62x39. If the demand is there, they'll make it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

But that's also why I wouldn't try to prognosticate the future, never know what's gonna be available, so I gave myself choices, I have a nice pile of x39, 5.56, and .308, and great rifles to shoot 'em all with. I don't see a point in going all in with just one caliber.

I feel a revival is coming one of these days, AK's are selling like hotcakes, and newer generations are going to want to know what it's like to shoot one in 7.62x39. If the demand is there, they'll make it.
View Quote

Using a big word after stating your dumb doesn't change the fact you finally admitted it
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By nictra:

Using a big word after stating your dumb doesn't change the fact you finally admitted it
View All Quotes

Lol

Nailed it Nictra
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm betting it's 556. It makes the most sense to me all around, but I'm also the guy that has no use for 7.62x39 and genuinely believes 5.45 was the smarter choice by the Soviets. I may always have a blind spot there

6.5 Grendel though? Now that is the 30 cal round that the AK105 should be using and I'd go all in myself, assuming high quality projectiles like M262, 855A1 or similar rounds with excellent terminal performance and barrier penetration. I'd be down like a clown if the mags kept the rifle as reliable as the 5.45. I can't see a downside for 6.5 Grendel, but 7.62x39 just isn't there projectilewise for me. I doubt I'll ever need accuracy past 300m with any rifle, but I have had excellent results at 500-600m on numerous occasions with my 105 and fullsize 74s using 7N6

Absolutely no disagreement there. Some of that imported stuff was complete garbage

View Quote
I agree 100%.

7.62 was always my personal favorite AK round though. But I was a big SKS collector at one time, so that might have influenced me.

A 5.56 Saiga was my first non-7.62 AK and I immediately liked it. After that I never saw a point to 5.45 for my personal collection as it was an overlap to 5.56 functionally and I've been trying to limit calibers in my collection (logistically it got out of control at one point). If I got a 5.45 AK before 5.56 I might have seen things differently.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#42]

.. I gave myself choices, I have a nice pile of x39, 5.56, and .308, and great rifles to shoot 'em all with. I don't see a point in going all in with just one caliber. ..
View Quote
I don't care what TX-Zen says. You're not so dumb at all.

I'll never understand the guys who say "I'll never give up 5.45 for 5.56". Why give up anything? Why not own both?  I'll shoot an AK in any caliber it comes it. And I'll enjoy the hell out of it!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesJones] [#44]
I loved the X39 but after getting back into the round a couple years ago I realize 556 is better. Just my personal opinion. If it is the cheapest I would definitely buy and shoot it most though.

Never shot 545 and didn't buy one 20 years ago because the cheapest ammo was corrosive. Back then I thought corrosive ammo would eat my nice $300 AK
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I think that 7.62x39 is here to stay as well.  There are a lot of SKS's and AK's out there in the US in this chambering.

Palmetto has been teasing on X that they will be producing 7.62x39 in their Soviet Arms line.  I suspect when it is released pricing will be very aggressive as it has been on their 5.56 line.

You can get Igman Brass Case 7.62x39 on Palmetto right now for $.65/rd which in M193/M855 pricing territory and is pretty amazing considering the extra raw materials of brass and lead that goes into 7.62 vs 5.56.

But yes 5.56 AK's are probably the future here unless some eastern european country starts spinning up 5.45 production and is able to get it here in bulk.
Which is very unlikely anytime soon with all the war talk in Europe right now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#46]
It is only common sense, but if ammo for AK47 and AK74 was imported in greater quantity and therefore more commonly found and cheaper, the 5.56x45 cartridge would have more competition.  But as the 5.56x45 is easier to find  it only makes sense that it is a more common cartridge.  

Way back when both of the AK cartridges were imported in greater quantity, they were easier to find, and far cheaper.  Clearly, the anti-gun administrations are doing all they can to make shooting more expensive and less socially acceptable.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't care what TX-Zen says. You're not so dumb at all.

I'll never understand the guys who say "I'll never give up 5.45 for 5.56". Why give up anything? Why not own both?  I'll shoot an AK in any caliber it comes it. And I'll enjoy the hell out of it!
View Quote

^^^this man gets it!

If I had an AK in 45-70 i'd shoot it every day, take it to the range just to see the looks on the faces of the mousegunners.

The 7.62x39 may be the most perfect mid-power cartridge ever made, it's just amazing what it does to a deer, hits and start tumbling, breaking bones and wrecking internal organs, and generally dumps all it's energy into the target coming to rest finally just under the skin on the other side. Tapered case which is one of the reasons for the AK's reputation for reliability. And soft-shooting too, my kids could shoot it comfortably when they were 10 years old.

I think PSA can make it happen, if they can get to a place where they can offer even steel-case 7.62 for around $300.00 a case or cheaper, i'll be steady buyer and so will a legion of owners.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Ouch
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Ouch

for those not in the know, we be joking.

I'll say this, when my son came to me and wanted to get his 1st AK, I pushed him to a 5.56 AK. Best to have something you know you can get ammo for just about anywhere, then go get the other calibers if you want.

We are starting to see other countries importing stuff, just like we did when the Clintons banned Chinese stuff. The market always finds a way.

IMHO, there are too many 5.45 AKs for the market to not respond in some manner. For now though, 7.62x39 and 5.56 are the best choices.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top