Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
So the chinese put holes in the piston tube so the piston has a nice windowed apartment?

Or are they to vent off gas?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By forker:
AKs do not have gas tubes. They have piston tubes.
So the chinese put holes in the piston tube so the piston has a nice windowed apartment?

On the otherhand, the rifles will run fine without the tube installed since it's more of a guide for the piston to return into the gas block than a gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh.... I guess I’m one of those assholes that doesn’t clean his AK.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By turfengineer:
Huh.... I guess I’m one of those assholes that doesn’t clean his AK.
View Quote
As long as you're not shooting corrosive it's not a major deal.  It's fairly self-regulating like the AR; the only place I've really had MASSIVE build-up was inside the receiver, and that was more or less just primer sealant and a touch of unburned powder from shooting dirty-assed wolf lacquer years ago.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought my first AK, a mak 90 at my first gun show in 1995.  The guy slid the box to me, I slid him $400.  He said “I don’t fill out Bill and Hillary’s paperwork”.  It was covered in Cosmo, I’ll never forget the smell and cleaning.  It was instant love for the AK.

I still have that mak.  I’ve shot well over 10k through it of the cheapest ammo I can buy.  I’ve camped with it dozens of times and have taken 4 deer with it.  I love it.

I’ve never cleaned the gas tube.  I did not know people did that.  I will continue to not clean the gas tube.  You don’t need to do that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Speaking of Hoppes, I have a nephew with whom I have never discussed guns in any way - I just figured he wasn't interested. I was wrong. His mom had everyone over during Christmas and at some point he asked if I wanted to take a look at his new pistol. I was surprised but of course went with him. I was impressed when he got the pistol out as he kept the muzzle in a safe direction and carefully made it safe before handing it to me. I saw it was a little 'wet' and took a sniff, turning to him and saying approvingly 'Hoppes #9'.
His eyes got big and it was obvious he was thinking 'My uncle knows gun stuff.' LOL
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#6]
lol, wad up some patches or a torn of up shirt and punch it through with a rod... easy, fast, don't over think. the upper gas tube (more accurately a piston guide tube) doesn't need to be squeaky clean. just squirt some aerosol clp or hoppes in there and punch a wadded up paper towel or piece of cloth through it a few times. I clean my gas tube out every year or so...
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
On the kits I get, I sandblast the inside of the gas tube to remove any corrosion as well as the inside of the gas block. After that, a good coat of flat black Moly Kote & bake it @ 300 degrees. After assembly & a shooting session, the gas tube is removed & cleaned the a mop & Hoppe's #9 solvent. I never have any corrosion with this cleaning method on any of the AK series of rifles. My ammo stash include original corrosively primed ammo, so cleaning the entire rifle is a must. If I am over doing it, so be it, my time & my guns.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I clean mine, cuz whats it going to hurt to have a clean weapon. Hoppes #9 on a 12 gauge brush, followed by some patches, and it's nice and clean. It also gives me a little more quality time with my weapon, and some good tunes coming from the garage radio.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
To vent off gas. The gas is completely unnecessary after it has driven the piston clear of the gas block. A gas tube is a tube that carries gas to the location necessary to operate the action, as on a regular AR.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#10]
   I haven't yet
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:21:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg] [#11]
Originally Posted By America-first:
I swab the tube with Hoppes on a few large patches and then roll up some paper towel that's a tight fit inside the tube and then push it through with a cleaning rod until I can grab the end and finish pulling it through.

Nice and clean after a few passes with tight,  clean,  paper towels.

I used to use 20 gauge bore mops but they got filthy real fast whereas the paper towels are single use.
View Quote
. This.   I might not clean it after every time I shoot it but at least every other time.  I use clp or hoppes with a usgi cleaning toothbrush.  Scrub a little and paper towel dry. I don’t try to get it perfect. I then take a clp rag and force through it for protection against moisture.  I clean the gas port on the barrel lightly.   I honestly try to take care of my equipment.  Hey I realize they can take a lot of abuse. We see it documented from third world country’s.  They also take shits and wipe with there bare hands also.  I prefer Scott’s two ply. Just sayin.   Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonm78] [#12]
You do not need to clean the gas tube. And as stated above, it's primarily a guide.

Take it from Reid Henrichs on this video. 40K rounds fired in this rifle and never once cleaned the gas tube.

How and Why to Clean Your AK-47/74 Rifle
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I used hoppes #9 and a shotgun mop. If you are shooting ammo with corrosive primers then you need to flush with water to cut the salts down. I believe people are using Windex or other products as well but I have watch the AK Operators Union videos and he says that you just need to flush with water.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Recently got an ultimak. Any easy tips on cleaning it without taking it off?
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fullmedaljacket8:
Recently got an ultimak. Any easy tips on cleaning it without taking it off?
View Quote

Don't. Cleaning the gas tube is 100% pointless.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:53:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#16]
12 Guage mop, though they get nasty quick. I usually just do a quick spray with non chlorinated brake cleaner, then pull a rag through, then spray with oil. Not very involved, and not perfectly clean. Just making sure it's wet with oil so it doesn't rust.

Even if it does, they are cheap to replace.... I wouldn't waste much time worrying about it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I mostly shoot corrosive ammo in my AKs, and I mainly clean them with a garden hose.  

Get done shooting, field strip, blast everything with water, including a couple minutes worth down the gas tube.  I then usually blow it out with compressed air, or push a couple wadded up blue shop paper towel pieces through with a cleaning rod, then hose it with CLP.  I do not worry about getting every bit of carbon out.  If I didn't shoot corrosive, I wouldn't even bother.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Not only do I clean and lube the entire AK, including the gas tube, gas block and gas piston, but I also clean my AR gas tubes/gas blocks! I just blast some brake cleaner through them every few years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I just use balistol and water mixture on a bottle brush. Then blow it out with compressed air. I only do it all if there is corrosive ammo involved.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top