Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/31/2018 9:51:35 PM EDT
A relative has a century VZ2008 that works well, never had any issues that I know of. Is the Czechpoint premium really worth the extra $$$?

Does anyone do the tabbed carrier fix if I buy a VZ2008 that has issues?

Last point - this forum is a deadzone.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By maleante:
Is the Czechpoint premium really worth the extra $$$?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cletussd:
Yes.
View Quote
Any reasons in particular?
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Any reasons in particular?
View Quote
Made in the Czech Republic, high quality chrome lined barrel and a properly tabbed bolt carrier(no "gremlin" issues).
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two vz.2008s. They shoot everything I feed them and are minute of man accurate. I do not think the Checkpoint premium is worth it. I bought my vz.2008s when they were $399, I wouldn't pay $1,200 for one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#5]
First off, go here:  http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=67.0

In true ARFCOM fashion, I have both (actually 3 of each).

IMHO CSA rifles are not worth the premium.  All the rifles I own have had some issues regardless of manufacturer.  CSA and Century both use surplus parts.  The CSA rifles are definitely finished nicer, but I am a function over finish guy.  I shoot my rifles in 2 gun competitions that are very hard on guns.

I say if you can find a great deal on a VZ2008, go for it.  Shoot it till it quits and fix it.  Could be 10 rounds or 10,000.

They are great rifles.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:49:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bill3rail] [#6]
A relative has a century VZ2008 that works well, never had any issues that I know of. Is the Czechpoint premium really worth the extra $$$?

Does anyone do the tabbed carrier fix if I buy a VZ2008 that has issues?

View Quote
I bought the Czechpoint because I read all the gremlin issues with 2008's, and did not want to fight with them.  I would rather "Buy once, Cry once" than scream at an inferior knock off until I figure out why it is crap.  
Not afraid of repairs so if the instructions were readily available, I would attempt tabbed carrier fix if I owned one.

It worked for me, she shoots great.

Yes, this is a dead-zone at times.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a VZ2008 and recently bought a VZ58 from Czechpoint.
The VZ58 is definitely nicer, but my VZ2008 hasn't had any issues. I did have it tabbed as a precaution though.
This forum is very slow, the other forum has also been dead for months.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two VZ2008 and have had no issues with either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Same here, I picked up a VZ2008 back when they were $400 with all the extras, mine's been accurate & reliable, and was put together correctly.
Never had the trigger gremlin problem after years of use but last year I decided to have my carrier tabbed as a precaution.

Nowadays the 2008s seem to be going for $700 used. At that price it's not as great a deal vs a real CZ.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey Maleante! What are you doing in this room?? I thought you were strictly an AUG guy ;-)

I have a Czechpoint. Bought it quite some time ago when they were pretty much the only act in town. So far I've put something like 700 rounds thru the pipe and never had a single issue with function, so the tab gizmo they put on it works in my experience.

I don't personally know anyone with a Century VZ, but from the various posts I've read on them over the years it seems as if you can get a good VZ from them too, though it can be a hit / miss affair. Still... the VZ is a simple rifle. A technically savvy guy like you could easily fix the thing if you happen to get a balky one. So if you can find a Century for a good price I'd go for it.

The VZ is a fun little carbine to shoot. Where I am I don't get a chance to shoot beyond 100yds, but at that range it places 'em where I lay the sights.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I have two of the Czechpoint guns and they really are nice. If you’re looking for “nice,” high quality (chrome lining, Czech manufacturing, being able to say “I have a Czech made rifle” (it’s important to some...), then get the Czechpoint/CSA gun. That said, most everyone I know with the VZ2008 is really, really happy with theirs. Truthfully, I’m glad I have the CP guns but, if I ever stumble onto a VZ2008 for the price Century was selling them for a couple years ago ($400-$500, Maybe?), I grabbing it and going to shoot the hell out of it. Still kind of kicking myself for not grabbing one then (pretty true about gun guys...you really only regret the ones you didn’t buy).
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought my VZ2008 brand new for $359 and have never had any issues with it as of yet. For the money I would I think it was a very good deal , but as far as AK's go it would be my least favorite in the line up. That cheek weld on the standard stock just sucks.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Since I'm shooting corrosive Yugo M67 through mine I wanted a hard chromed barrel and removable muzzle device to keep rust at bay. Without those a VZ58 wasn't an option.

AJ
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a pair of the 2008s andthey both run great, no gremlin yet.  Been shooting them since I got them some years ago for IIRC $350ish from PSA.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#15]
They certainly aren’t any comparison to an AUG, but I’ve enjoyed plinking with two of the Century guns I bought when they were dirt cheap.  Got both tabbed and a fixed stock for one - money well spent.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I have one now. A M69 .22lr and a $100 Bushnell scope later I have an excellent condition VZ2008, 5 mags, bayonet, and new beaver barf furniture set.

I tried getting the folding stock off, but neither heat nor impact driver could loosen up the screw. I'm going to attack it with a cold chisel to see if that works. I mangled the slot screw, so I bought a hex head screw for a couple bucks on eBay.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I had to hit mine pretty good with a gas torch, but she loosened right up after warming.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:55:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80085] [#18]
Cold chisel got it done.

I'm guessing the bottom handguard comes off if you drive out the rollpin? Haven't put in the matching darker handguards yet.

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm guessing the bottom handguard comes off if you drive out the rollpin?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I just picked up a vz2008 with 4 mags and all the other crap for 575$

Century used like a gallon of loctite on mine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the the crap one that i got 6 years ago with all the bits for $400. I probably have 1500 rounds through it, no issues. Stock is still a bit difficult to manipulate, but it has never been a big enough issue to work on.

I think I'll get a nice one someday, but for now im pretty happy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Regal_T-type:
I just picked up a vz2008 with 4 mags and all the other crap for 575$

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/TJPc74.jpg

Century used like a gallon of loctite on mine.
View Quote
If the cold chisel didn't work getting it out, that was my next idea.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't buy anything built by century.  My first and last experience was the vz2008 purchased from Jg sales years ago when they had a sale
On these for $375. Mine came with the slanted AK brake and also the tabed bolt before czechpoint took them to court because of this

But if yours work, then all good

But if you want a high quality built vz58 from a proven reputable company and the best warranty Centyury arms can only dream off
Czechpoint vz58s is the way to go, for me it's worth the money.  I have 3 firearms from czechpoint
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I have the VZ2008 and yes, the gremlin came to visit me so the bolt carrier got tabbed and that ended my problems. The CZ may have the nicer finish and come pre-tabbed but my VZ was also $400 or so with all the goodies. If my only option was a 4-figure rifle, I might not have a vz58 today.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Unfortunate that century arms at the time releases a hit or miss option the vz2008
At the time, I'd opt for a imported century wasr/1063 cugir built AK at least I know will be more reliable $400 rifle
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll give this a bump and say that I sure did prefer the much-maligned "beaver barf" stock over that folding one.  Made a world of difference.

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I stumbled across my first VZ-2008 with 4 mags in a pawn shop in 2014 for $375 as an impulse buy. That was a good impulse! It's a 3rd generation gun and has been 100% from day one. I liked it well enough to buy another one that I put FAB Defense furniture on and that one has also run like a champ and is my go-to rifle when I drive out to the farm. Offhand at 50 yards I can put everything into a 3 inch group (pretty good for me!).
The Century guns get a lot of bashing, and a great deal of it rightfully. But the VZ-2008s (especially the second and third generation guns) are the one they got right. Some people have had issues, but then there have been issues with the Czechpoint guns as well. For the money back then they were unbeatable, but time has gone on and they have become $600 to $800 guns and not the deal they once were. But let's face it, these and the Czechpoint guns starting at $1100 are the two options in VZ-58s without much at all in the middle.
I still think the VZ-2008s are solid values and I'll be hanging on to mine!  
BTW not a lot of people realize that the MSRP on these in 2009 was $699; that was gun, 5 mags with pouch, cleaning kit and bayonet. The same package that PSA was blowing out for $399 in 2014. That's how undervalued they were.

A good read on the VZ-2008:
Gun Review: VZ2008 Vs. 700 Rounds
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow, did not realize they were first listing for $699 when they came out.
Never heard of one til they popped up on PSA's site. At that time I think a WASR was $100 more and wasn't long after that panic pricing set in and WASRs were jumping up to $700-$800 while VZs were still sitting at $399.

Seems like aftermarket parts weren't easy to find either, or I didn't know where to look. Had a few AK buddies turn one down cause they felt parts were non-existent.

I snagged a beaver barf stock off ebay from Czech Rep., $40 with hardware. Was worried after swapping reading this thread so I pulled my folder before ordering anything and it came right out like it had been installed yesterday. While the folder is solid this gun is accurate enough to deserve a good fixed stock.

I've also shot quite a lot of surplus Yugo thru mine, no issues with a non chrome lined bore, no rust. Just lots of hot soapy water.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
That it is. Might find more activity on this at the AK files. I just posted a similar feedback from someone else asking about a VZ2008:

I was fortunate to get one from PSA for 399. Tabbed the bolt, put an RS regulate mount and rail with a primary arms ACS scope and the Beaver barf stock from that guy on eBay. Fit and finish are excellent with zero malfunctions . Good groups with golden tiger. Found several 20-round magazines for a great price. Would love to find more. Love it.

Some small number of people originally reported problems with these Century builds but overall they were great. I can't imagine spending twice as much for a CZ 58
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#30]
In the end if your vz2008 works and you like it....good for you.   You paid cheap for your vz2008 compared to Czech point.  Some people can't imagine paying more for a reputable/quality vz58 from czechpoint, and some people can't imagine payin cheap for a vz2008 which is a hit or miss, from a company that built various types of firearms which also a hit or miss.  in the end it's just another Century Arms hit or miss
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:58:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sgt911] [#31]
I've got both. I bought them both a long time ago and haven't shot either much. I was pissed about the CZ when I ordered it I didn't know it was black, not the original blue-grey. It also had an open front sight and I wanted a closed globe. I had that changed out and an original MB welded on. The 2008 was an impulse buy when I saw JG had wood stocked ones for $325 and free shipping. The CZ seems to be a more quality piece.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AFSOC_COP:
I have the VZ2008 and yes, the gremlin came to visit me so the bolt carrier got tabbed and that ended my problems. The CZ may have the nicer finish and come pre-tabbed but my VZ was also $400 or so with all the goodies. If my only option was a 4-figure rifle, I might not have a vz58 today.
View Quote
I have a VZ2008.   $399 from back in the day.  Buddy is a machinist so I had him do the tab fix to the bolt outta the box. Three of us got them at the same time. Got rid of that aweful side folder and put  a fixed stock on it for $50 from that Czech guy on Ebay.  Not a single issue.  Fit & finish are excellent. I can't begin to imagine paying over $1k for a different build variant of one of these.  Ridiculous!!!

These far surpass the quality of any other AK variant I own with the exception of...........

The only four-figure AKish rifle worth having today is a Galil Ace.  Yea baby !  Have one each in .308 and x39.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#33]
The CzechpointUSA vz-58 is an awesome fantastic rifle. I wish like all get out that I still had mine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It wasn't the most accurate rifle I ever owned, but I certainly loved shooting it. It only malfunctioned after I didn't clean it for about 3K rounds.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#34]
My VZ-2008 has functioned perfectly since I got it in 2014.  I did not cost much.  The barrel is not chrome-lined, as you probably know.  But I just like to play with it.  I wouldn't take it to a war!  So I am happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m going to give this thread a kick in the ribs and get it going again.  As a big fan of my pathetically cheap Century Arms gun, I’m interested in the discussion and have often wondered the same question as the OP.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:29:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: texashomeserver] [#36]
I believe the CZ forum VZ58 section has some testing on the 2 VZ58's. None here.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=65044.0
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I have owned about a dozen or so VZ58's or variants thereof over the years.  I have owned actual CZ produced versions (CZ858 which is a CZ produced VZ58 with 18.6" barrel), Czech Small Arms VZ58's as well as one even from the SHE factory.  All were 7.62x39 except two which were 5.56.  I have never owned a VZ2008 or Century version.  

The CZ produced rifles are beautiful, quality guns that often shoot accurate enough for headshots easily out to 100+ meters when using a red dot on conventional sillouette targets.  These are now unobtainium in Canada and I regret the day I was offered more than I paid for mine and sold it.  The CSA VZ58's I owned were very nicely made guns with a better finish than the CZ guns.  Once again, much more accurate than most people realise.  The SHE gun I owned was a VZ58 with 16" barrel.  It had looser tolerances and the fit and finish was much more akin to a military issued rifle.  Nonetheless, I never saw it jam and it shot plenty accurate enough although I never really stretched its legs out.  

What I can attest to is that the fit and finish on the CZ and CSA rifles was beautiful and they were tightly fitted.  They were very accurate and dead-nuts reliable.  If we were allowed to still purchase and own them in Canada, I would buy one for every member of my family.  I would not take a chance on the cheaper versions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:38:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By saskcop:
I have owned about a dozen or so VZ58's or variants thereof over the years.  I have owned actual CZ produced versions (CZ858 which is a CZ produced VZ58 with 18.6" barrel), Czech Small Arms VZ58's as well as one even from the SHE factory.  All were 7.62x39 except two which were 5.56.  I have never owned a VZ2008 or Century version.  

The CZ produced rifles are beautiful, quality guns that often shoot accurate enough for headshots easily out to 100+ meters when using a red dot on conventional sillouette targets.  These are now unobtainium in Canada and I regret the day I was offered more than I paid for mine and sold it.  The CSA VZ58's I owned were very nicely made guns with a better finish than the CZ guns.  Once again, much more accurate than most people realise.  The SHE gun I owned was a VZ58 with 16" barrel.  It had looser tolerances and the fit and finish was much more akin to a military issued rifle.  Nonetheless, I never saw it jam and it shot plenty accurate enough although I never really stretched its legs out.  

What I can attest to is that the fit and finish on the CZ and CSA rifles was beautiful and they were tightly fitted.  They were very accurate and dead-nuts reliable.  If we were allowed to still purchase and own them in Canada, I would buy one for every member of my family.  I would not take a chance on the cheaper versions.
View Quote

It was rather heartbreaking to read your last few sentences.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Just hope we don't get the same treatment on our side of the border.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top