Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/24/2024 10:00:08 PM EDT
At a match today one of the shooters was having an issue after roughly 40 rounds with not being able to pull the bolt back all the way.  It would go back just enough to grab the next round so decided to send it for another 45 rounds, then it finally had a failure to eject because the bolt wouldn't move.  This is an unfired round, not sure if this is a common thing with AKs. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
How did they get the beans above the frank?  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:54:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#2]
I've never seen that malf before, except on Youtube with 9mm in the AK-V and PSA rectified that with the Mac Bracket. But the 9mm bolt much shorter.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how that round got behind a 7.62x39 bolt.

I wonder what mag was used?  

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:00:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#3]
I have several thousand rounds through my AK and I have never seen that happen before.

I'm not sure how that happens. It doesn't seem possible.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
How did they get the beans above the frank?  
View Quote

I’ve seen one get hung up between the bolt and top cover but never one that far rear.  Almost like someone  sabotaged your gun
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By raverill:

I've seen one get hung up between the bolt and top cover but never one that far rear.  Almost like someone  sabotaged your gun
View Quote

I'd say this too, but I've seen some really weird malfunctions before. Never seen one get that far back, but I've seen this get up between the bolt carrier and dust cover.

I honestly do not know of a way this could physically happen with the rifle put together during shooting. It's not possible...doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]
you forgot to do the ham and cheese sammich reliability mod
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:26:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigyj] [#7]
The ham and cheese test is the first thing I thought when I saw it
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
I've never seen that malf before, except on Youtube with 9mm in the AK-V and PSA rectified that with the Mac Bracket. But the 9mm bolt much shorter.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how that round got behind a 7.62x39 bolt.

I wonder what mag was used?  

View Quote

I didn't get a chance to ask him what mags, all I know is they were all polymer
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never seen anything like that happen before in an AK.  Don't know how that would happen
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one do that. Found a round in it after the rifle class was over. No idea how it got there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a new one on me, amazing though that it kept firing that long!

Did have a Tula .308 round that spontaneoulsy dis-assembled itself while chambering, apparently no crimp at all on the round and bullet fell out as it was being picked up by the bolt on a G3. Powder all over the action and everywhere. Perhaps something similar happened here?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Just be glad it didn’t mess up the FCG and end up in a runaway full auto situation!

Somewhere along the line the shooter should have noticed something, unlikely that the mag would kick out 2 rounds without needing something done like being racked.  One round isn’t going to go up behind the bolt carrier, while another just loads as normal into the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Just be glad it didn’t mess up the FCG and end up in a runaway full auto situation!

Somewhere along the line the shooter should have noticed something, unlikely that the mag would kick out 2 rounds without needing something done like being racked.  One round isn’t going to go up behind the bolt carrier, while another just loads as normal into the chamber.
View Quote

I've had just what you describe to be impossible happen. Had a malfunction during a rifle class, thought I cleared it and kept going. 4+ hours later I pulled the carrier to check how dirty it all was and found a live round. The 3 of us buddies just looked at it like it was insane, stuffed it in a mag and shot it. Was pretty weird.

The last defensive rifle class I got to clear 2 squibs from my pistol. Primers went off. Powder didn't go off. Bullet went about 0.25" and when I ejected the casing a flat glob of powder fell out. I didn't think that was possible either. Happened twice in 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tac556:

View Quote

Agreed, he thought he screwed something up on the FCG, a few days before he changed out the fire pin spring.  It's his 1st AK, he is an experienced shooter and knowledgeable with ARs, I was shocked he didn't want to do a quick check on it. The 2 stages before the initial issue of not racking back all the way, he didn't have any malfunctions.  The only thing that happened to him on the prior stage was not knowing his mag was empty and pulled the trigger, simple reload and he finished the stage without any issues.  Not sure if that last round got pulled into the receiver at that point or not
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

I've had just what you describe to be impossible happen. Had a malfunction during a rifle class, thought I cleared it and kept going. 4+ hours later I pulled the carrier to check how dirty it all was and found a live round. The 3 of us buddies just looked at it like it was insane, stuffed it in a mag and shot it. Was pretty weird.

The last defensive rifle class I got to clear 2 squibs from my pistol. Primers went off. Powder didn't go off. Bullet went about 0.25" and when I ejected the casing a flat glob of powder fell out. I didn't think that was possible either. Happened twice in 10 rounds.
View Quote

Seems like a perfect storm type malfunction for AKs, it's crazy how they keep running.  

Unfortunately the last couple of years I've seen a few squib rounds like you experienced, but in 556.  Luckily all 3 times the bullet was just in enough to cause the bolt to not go into full battery and the shooters realized something was wrong after a few hand cycled rounds  and forward assist slaps.  During matches everyone is worried about time and rush to clear malfunctions, just got to be smart about it
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I've heard of this more than once but never seen it.

One guy argued with me about AK reliability and explained he had this malfunction and it kept running. Most of my AKs are finicky but I believed him.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

View Quote

No- see you cleared some kind of problem and kept going.  That is obviously when it happened.  Except when you cleared it, nothing was ejected out, or it was a 3rd round having gotten knocked loose from the mag during all the commotion with the other 2.

AK’s are known for having some free space like that where a loose round can end up.  Never had it happen myself.

But what I was saying is that it would be unlikely (did not say impossible!) that the gun would go into battery and fire one round if two rounds were released by the magazine at once, without there being a problem.  You just described it happening, with a problem, confirming what I said….

And nothing surprises me about ammo failures, pretty much seen it all….backwards primer, sideways primers, no gunpowder, no flashhole, over charge, under charge, no rim on the casing, folded casing, squibs, etc….
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigyj] [#18]
https://youtu.be/X0NjkwJ7XU8?si=EHwQYz31AKmv_peW
Hopefully this link works.  I was told on a local form that Blue Jean Operator had a similar/same type of malfunction
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top