Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 3/26/2024 2:01:57 AM EDT
I tend to think up of crazy ideas when I have time. This time I happened to be in the hospital baby delivery room on 4 hours of sleep over 2 days. I have a handful of 74 variants from a 104ur krink, a PSA 105, a rifle dynamics 545 Quick Hatch, a psa ak74 and a bulgarian ak74 numbers matching original barrel.

I was thinking... would it be wrong to butcher up a perfectly nice bulgarian matching parts kit build on a nodak receiver to make another ak105 variant in the collection? I have all the parts I need for it. I know the 105 is pretty hyped, every reason to be. I just love the weight distribution, the length, the minimal loss in bullet velocity. The PSA one has about 3.5k rds through it and no problems. Just thought why not get a Bulgarian one in there?

Should I butcher up my Bulgarian?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
YES! 104/105 is best AK period.

AKS74U is fun, AK74M is fun, but 105 is best 74.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s still a kit gun, although a nice one. Do what you feel man.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not just build a whole new 105 so you can have both?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't do what I did. Forget to inseet a lower hg retainer
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's going to be a rock solid build and you can afford it I'd say do it.

Dedicated and to be past down to the new baby. If they grow up shooting it with you and you pass it it on I'm thinking priceless.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not ak102 / 5.56 instead? Better ammo availability and more than one flavor of FMJ. You even have a couple magazine choices now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO I would not chop the OG barrel. Those kits in quality built format are rare enough on their own these days.

Why not get another PSA 105? Or like the poster above mentioned, 102?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
All pretty good answers and ideas. I think I’ve been convinced not to chop it down. The votes split right down the middle and I suppose I don’t need (2) 105’s. Although if I were to ever get another, the PSA one I’ve had has been rock solid and reliable and well gassed.

I just had a lot of the key components laying around for another 105 build and thought it would be nice.

Though what I may do is source the rest of the parts (mismatching) and build another. I have a 101 and I just prefer shooting 223/556 out of my AR builds. I’m also fortunate to have a good amount of 545 for lots or range time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]
If I were only going to have one rifle I voted to cut it down. That said obviously I don't have just one, so the advice to get a different 105 is probably smartest

I used to be a die hard fullsize 74 guy. These days I only take either my 105, or my painted Arsenal 104FR, but 87% of the time its the 105. Your woman may not agree, but chopping those 4 inches off makea the 105 perform way way way better, especially suppressed
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By krinkovovich:
I tend to think up of crazy ideas when I have time. This time I happened to be in the hospital baby delivery room on 4 hours of sleep over 2 days. I have a handful of 74 variants from a 104ur krink, a PSA 105, a rifle dynamics 545 Quick Hatch, a psa ak74 and a bulgarian ak74 numbers matching original barrel.

I was thinking... would it be wrong to butcher up a perfectly nice bulgarian matching parts kit build on a nodak receiver to make another ak105 variant in the collection? I have all the parts I need for it. I know the 105 is pretty hyped, every reason to be. I just love the weight distribution, the length, the minimal loss in bullet velocity. The PSA one has about 3.5k rds through it and no problems. Just thought why not get a Bulgarian one in there?

View Quote

If it’s a kit build it won’t hurt the value any. It seems like you have all the patterns regardless of what you end up doing, so you won’t regret it either way.

As always: ignore everyone and go with your heart!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlgSal:

If it’s a kit build it won’t hurt the value any. It seems like you have all the patterns regardless of what you end up doing, so you won’t regret it either way.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well said.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]
You can't undo chopping the barrel, but you can sell of the spare PSA rifle if you don't want it.  That will cost you more, but give you the flexibility of having it both ways (not that you don't already).
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm still tossing the idea around. Lots of good feedback and great points. I personally love the 105 and everything it's capable of doing. I do have a ton of spare parts, and receivers. I may consolidate and just build one and source out whatever parts I'm missing. I love my PSA 105, don't get me wrong. It has been wonderful and exceeded expectations. I just really wanted something that wasn't PSA just because I can with high quality import parts and can get beat up without feeling too bad about it
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#14]
Well I voted no to the butchering, guess that's about all I have to add.

But I will say, I keep looking at the title of this thread and thinking what an awesome name that would be for a metal/punk band. Or maybe just a song for one:

"..yeah i'm a contrarian
gonna butcher my bulgarian
gonna wreck my romanian
elbow the albanian yeah yeah yeah..."

But i'm really too old at this point to do it myself, afraid my greatest hit would be "I got a bunion the size of a trunnion"
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
If I find out you put a 4.5mm folder on a Saiga, you're going to catch a beating
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
If I find out you put a 4.5mm folder on a Saiga, you're going to catch a beating
View Quote

Scruffy: "Seconded."
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I would part with my last 5.5 folder kit before I saw somebody commit that sin
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

So, funny story about that.
It was 2012 or 2013.
A younger BigSal had a Venezuela overrun saiga.
A younger BigSal also had a Taiwanese 4.5mm folding trunnion.
What I did, I can never be forgiven for.

Looking back at what was done, I deserve a beating…
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:

I would part with my last 5.5 folder kit before I saw somebody commit that sin
View Quote

Trust me: hold on to it…🤣
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Looking back at what was done, I deserve a beating
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

Looking back at what was done, I deserve a beating
I'm on a plane headed your way
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#21]
My 1st converted SAIGA

Do I get less lumps for using a Bulgarian stock and trunnion over Taiwanese?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By nictra:
My 1st converted SAIGA

https://i.imgur.com/s1dVkY3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JOBZlSb.jpg

View Quote

No

Beatings for the whole 4.5mm crew
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#23]
also, in my defense, that picture was submitted to imgur 7 years ago, which is when photobucket started its shenanigan's, and I did that rifle in about '06 '07ish? Finding 5.5 trunnions back then were nigh impossible.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#24]

No

View All Quotes
My 1st converted SAIGA

https://i.imgur.com/JOBZlSb.jpg

No

Right?

@nictra

et tu?

When I get back from Sal...

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember when you got your 1st 5.5 trnniin and folder and how long it sat around before you finally decided to use it. They were super rare. I will not apologize
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow, thread just reminded me of another backburner project I can now drag out since I have a shop at long last.

Years ago a guy gave me a couple of just the triangle stocks themselves that he had separated from the 4.5 folder mechanism as he was wanting to do a different type stock using the folders.

I'm gonna make a receiver block and weld one to it and make it a fixed stock, probably look cool on the ol' WASR eh?

Dang I love having a place to work now, got to go open up some old boxes of parts, probably some other stuff I forgot about in 'em.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#27]
My 1st converted SAIGA

View Quote

Dat Russian naval sling. I got one on my Vepr.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Came for the advise: caught a beating! Arfcom in a nutshell!

On a serious note: I still have hopes we will see saiga rifles and shotguns again. Time heals all wounds as they say!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Came for the advise: caught a beating! Arfcom in a nutshell!

On a serious note: I still have hopes we will see saiga rifles and shotguns again. Time heals all wounds as they say!
View Quote

I'm hopeful for this as well! The more the merrier! Bring them back in. If not through Russia or Ukraine, perhaps by means of other countries importing them. I currently have a friend importing russian license ak kits from turkmenistan and they seem pretty solid. Nothing is as cool as the real deal though
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

If you have another AK-74 in a traditional length, preferably Bulgarian build, I say go for it. Honestly, with 5.45x39 ammo availability these days, I would steer you towards spending the coin on an AK-102 type build.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top