Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/9/2024 9:57:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tango]
I've been digging in my boxes of AK parts I've had over 25-30 years. Found lots of goodies and junk.
Top covers, Rear fixed stock trunnion. Found a Bulgarian side-folder stock and rear trunnion I forgot about.

I have bags of trigger parts, wood stocks and handguards. Found a bag of rivets. Remember those Polish kits that were taken apart and bagged for around $300 many years ago? I found some new parts from one of those kits I split up. I think I sold one kit in pieces to pay for my other build I did.

Are the Rear sight blocks and front trunnions for a AK63 all standard AKM stuff?

Im going to use a 80% Rec. I have built a couple AK's before Im not new to the game.

I need a bolt, carrier, and front trunnion.  Looked at surplus from Apex and others. New from Atlantic WBP.

So in essence I want to spend more to use my old parts up...

Added some goodies.
**More pics 3/14 Romanian Underfolder from Atlantic 1974 Kit**

Some trench art ANA

My sight ears are pushed over.

I went for the 3 matching parts kit. Bolt, and carrier, Trunnion. My top cover matches too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#1]
All I need is a few trunnions and rivet kits and I can build up around a half dozen AKs. Just put a RPK together but that was a numbers matching kit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have.  I built a rifle once using a mix of Romanian, Polish, Chinese, Bulgarian, and US parts once.  

Shot fine, had it for years.  Sold it last year just to make room in my safe for another project.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Technically OP, what you are talking about building is a parts-box gun, I have a couple myself.

A true "from scraps" build is the legendary shovel AK from BorisBuild.

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Technically OP, what you are talking about building is a parts-box gun, I have a couple myself.

A true "from scraps" build is the legendary shovel AK from BorisBuild.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/54-tfb.jpeg
View Quote

Lol I remembers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:58:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shadyman] [#6]
Originally Posted By Tango:
I've been digging in my boxes of AK parts I've had over 25-30 years. Found lots of goodies and junk.
Top covers, Rear fixed stock trunnion. Found a Bulgarian side-folder stock and rear trunnion I forgot about.

I have bags of trigger parts, wood stocks and handguards. Found a bag of rivets. Remember those Polish kits that were taken apart and bagged for around $300 many years ago? I found some new parts from one of those kits I split up. I think I sold one kit in pieces to pay for my other build I did.

Are the Rear sight blocks and front trunnions for a AK63 all standard AKM stuff?

Im going to use a 80% Rec. I have built a couple AK's before Im not new to the game.

I need a bolt, carrier, and front trunnion.  Looked at surplus from Apex and others. New from Atlantic WBP.

View Quote

My first AK I ever built was from parts I bought from different vendors at the 1999 SAR Phoenix Gun show. AK flat, mostly Romanian populated barrel, Bulgarian bolt, Russian bolt carrier, Hungarian top cover and slant muzzle brake, who knows? gas tube, Romanian folding stock, FSA trigger parts, ect. Watched Google and YouTube vids, read the internet, put it together. Still have it and it runs great after many $70 cases of Russian surplus ammo. Never checked the headspace, it didn’t blow up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:

My first AK I ever built was from parts I bought from different vendors at the 1999 SAR Phoenix Gun show. AK flat, mostly Romanian populated barrel, Bulgarian bolt, Russian bolt carrier, Hungarian top cover and slant muzzle brake, who knows? gas tube, Romanian folding stock, FSA trigger parts, ect. Watched Google and YouTube vids, read the internet, put it together. Still have it and it runs great after many $70 cases of Russian surplus ammo. Never checked the headspace, it didn’t blow up.
View Quote

Thats some Cowboy shit there, not checking headspace
My first FAL build I guessed with a taped over dummy round and the firing pin out. Got to Bullet-fest shoot and used a friends No-go gauge and sent it. Use to be pics of me on the FAL-Files bump firing that rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
That was an epic build thanks for the pic. Copy, paste, save.
View Quote

It was epic wasn't it? Unfortunately I looked a while back and his website is gone, found that pic I think on the firearm blog archive.

That and a few other things always stood out to me, one was the ham sandwich video, and another was the guy who took out his recoil spring and looped big rubber bands around his front sight and the carrier and the dang thing actually worked, and last was the video where they pulled an old rusty one out of a pile of weapons that had been buried for like 30 years in Africa some where, absolutely rusted to crap, hosed it out, dumped motor oil in it and shook it out, and then were still able to fire it.

I smile and laugh anytime I hear that "trash-can" rifle talk, I sleep really good at night next to my safe full of ol' combloc iron.

Back on-topic, OP I hope you'll post pics when done, maybe some details of the build and various compatibilities and such. It's funny how often a "parts-box" gun will turn out to be a great shooter, just be sure and use a good barrel and the rest always seems to work out.

I don't have a spare BCG or barrel, but I do have some extra small parts, especially trigger parts I can donate, as long as you're okay with single hook, lol, nobody is getting my stash of double-hooks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:32:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tango] [#9]

It was epic wasn't it? Unfortunately I looked a while back and his website is gone, found that pic I think on the firearm blog archive.

That and a few other things always stood out to me, one was the ham sandwich video, and another was the guy who took out his recoil spring and looped big rubber bands around his front sight and the carrier and the dang thing actually worked, and last was the video where they pulled an old rusty one out of a pile of weapons that had been buried for like 30 years in Africa some where, absolutely rusted to crap, hosed it out, dumped motor oil in it and shook it out, and then were still able to fire it.

I smile and laugh anytime I hear that "trash-can" rifle talk, I sleep really good at night next to my safe full of ol' combloc iron.

Back on-topic, OP I hope you'll post pics when done, maybe some details of the build and various compatibilities and such. It's funny how often a "parts-box" gun will turn out to be a great shooter, just be sure and use a good barrel and the rest always seems to work out.

I don't have a spare BCG or barrel, but I do have some extra small parts, especially trigger parts I can donate, as long as you're okay with single hook, lol, nobody is getting my stash of double-hooks.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer.
I had to buy so far:
Rear sight block. Romanian surplus.

Front sight base complete. Romanian Surplus.

New Polish Barrel 7.62. From Atlantic. Non threaded end, I will add threads to it. Damn thing was cheap $99 Poles make good stuff. I might have another barrel option. Waiting to see how it pans out.

New Polish Gas Block. Once again it was cheaper to buy new than surplus. All I could find was around $39 with the bayo lugs. New was around $31. I have a beat to shit Romanian Bayonet for it also. I did find one used for $9.99 but no bayo lugs.

Romanian Surplus Handguard retainer.

Polish 80% Rec.

Need to buy the Drilling jig.

Need to Buy the front trunnion.  Looking at the Hungarian Surplus ones instead of New.

Need to Buy Bolt and Carrier. Might go with a Yugo M70. Seeing where some are saying they will swap with other kits, or new Polish.

Kills me how much all this shit costs nowadays.
I use to sell Kits at gun shows. Ive thrown away parts that 25 Years ago I couldnt give away.

I will keep updating and maybe some pics.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:03:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eightpoint4trillion] [#10]
I have a shopping basket full of Polish Tantal parts in my outbuilding, and I've been meaning to build it for like 15 years now.  All of the stupid jigs and shit you need is what has stopped me, because spending hundreds of jigs I will use a single time in my life is dumb.  I have recently gotten into welding so considering just building it with the magic of melting metal.  I figure welding a pin in the rear trunnion would easily be as strong as a rivet.  Probably wont look as nice as with a nicely perfect rivet, idk, but would save me hundreds of dollars and turn a pile of rusty parts into a gun that can accept the 20 mags I purchased for it like two decades ago.

Edit:  Holy shit I just took a gander at 5.45x39 prices and that put a damper on my enthusiasm to get this build finished this winter.  Nearly a dollar a round?  ffs.  I knew I should have stacked deep when I bought this kit like I did with all my other calibers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By eightpoint4trillion:
I have a shopping basket full of Polish Tantal parts in my outbuilding, and I've been meaning to build it for like 15 years now.  All of the stupid jigs and shit you need is what has stopped me, because spending hundreds of jigs I will use a single time in my life is dumb.  I have recently gotten into welding so considering just building it with the magic of melting metal.  I figure welding a pin in the rear trunnion would easily be as strong as a rivet.  Probably wont look as nice as with a nicely perfect rivet, idk, but would save me hundreds of dollars and turn a pile of rusty parts into a gun that can accept the 20 mags I purchased for it like two decades ago.

Edit:  Holy shit I just took a gander at 5.45x39 prices and that put a damper on my enthusiasm to get this build finished this winter.  Nearly a dollar a round?  ffs.  I knew I should have stacked deep when I bought this kit like I did with all my other calibers.
View Quote

Welcome to the party. I remember people welding, and using machine screws back in the day.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Thats some Cowboy shit there, not checking headspace
My first FAL build I guessed with a taped over dummy round and the firing pin out. Got to Bullet-fest shoot and used a friends No-go gauge and sent it. Use to be pics of me on the FAL-Files bump firing that rifle.
View Quote

Now I think I’ll check it for laughs.

My method of checking headspace back then was load one round and hold the rifle front with extended arms and turn my head away. Then check the empty case for stretching or bulged primer. If it looked good, I was ready for mag dumps.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Welcome to the party. I remember people welding, and using machine screws back in the day.
View Quote

Was just thinking it'd be neat if there was a tool to grind down welds into little rivet like buttons, like the opposite of a countersink bit essentially.  Haven't heard of anything like that though.  Might have to do some testing on some ideas I have towards that end.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#14]

My method of checking headspace back then was load one round and hold the rifle front with extended arms and turn my head away. Then check the empty case for stretching or bulged primer. If it looked good, I was ready for mag dumps.
View Quote

Sir, that’s not correct. You’re supposed to wrap it an old field jacket and pull the trigger with a string.

Safety first.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Sir, that’s not correct. You’re supposed to wrap it an old field jacket and pull the trigger with a string.

Safety first.
View Quote

Ah, good idea. I have a full set of go/no go/field gages now and later I learned the bush trick using masking tape. But I was a total amateur AK builder back in 1999. Made all my own tools back before Curtis at AK Builder started making tools. So far after about 50 builds, I never had one detonate, lucky I guess and a strong gun design.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

Safety first.
View Quote

Ah, good idea. I have a full set of go/no go/field gages now and later I learned the bush trick using masking tape. But I was a total amateur AK builder back in 1999. Made all my own tools back before Curtis at AK Builder started making tools. So far after about 50 builds, I never had one detonate, lucky I guess and a strong gun design.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Send it! In the builders circles the tape method is generally accepted.

I have heard of rifles not running until they have 0.030" of headspace!!! The particular one I can think of is the DPM. Some folks just can't get them to run unless crazy loose the 7.62x54r NOGO is 0.007" larger than the GO.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Few parts came in.
Polish Rec.
Polish new Barrel
Romanian rear sight block
Romanian front sight post.
New WPB gas block.
Romanian Handguard retainer fits fine.
I also have a nice Yugo M70 barrel. I'm not sure what I will do with it. Gas blocks and parts for that are goofy one offs.

Rear sight block slides on the new barrel and should work. Really tight and will need some sanding.
Front sight and gas block are a no go. Hitting the edge of the barrel steps. Gas block cant even be wedged on to hold, falls off.
Im going to get a couple of Romanian parts kits and see how that gas block fits. Im going to thread the Polish barrel and I have another barrel in route, and other things.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Found a old Ohio Ordnance Rec in my junk. Its bent and has some rail problems. The trunnion area was smashed and spread back out. I think these had the fire control holes off a bit. This goes back. I talked to Campybob about these years ago.
He did some mods to one he had to make it work.
I scrapped one and took those parts and built on a nodak.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:18:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Found a old Ohio Ordnance Rec in my junk. Its bent and has some rail problems. The trunnion area was smashed and spread back out. I think these had the fire control holes off a bit. This goes back. I talked to Campybob about these years ago.
He did some mods to one he had to make it work.
I scrapped one and took those parts and built on a nodak.

https://i.imgur.com/cffb9Hu.jpg
View Quote

I’ve got an old NDS-3 receiver in my junk box. This was even before Nodak existed and before they made the NDS-1. I had cut it to make an underfolder. But disassemble the gun to make into something else, long ago. Was thinkn of using it for old time sake with some spare parts in that same junk box just for fun and conversation piece.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#21]

I’ve got an old NDS-3 receiver in my junk box. This was even before Nodak existed and before they made the NDS-1. I had cut it to make an underfolder. But disassemble the gun to make into something else, long ago. Was thinkn of using it for old time sake with some spare parts in that same junk box just for fun and conversation piece.
View Quote

I think the Ohio Ordnance rec. may have had the safety hole cut off center. Cant remember. Thought of using that M70 barrel, and front parts on some bastard build if I can save it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#22]
More toys.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Those jigs are nice. I really like mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Those jigs are nice. I really like mine.
View Quote

I use mine all the time. The secret is to have good drill bits.

Question, on Childers site, they mention that the US made 80% 7.62 receivers don’t work with this jig. Has anyone tried to see if it will? What is the difference between the Polish 80%’s and Childers 80%’s?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#25]

I use mine all the time. The secret is to have good drill bits.

Question, on Childers site, they mention that the US made 80% 7.62 receivers don’t work with this jig. Has anyone tried to see if it will? What is the difference between the Polish 80%’s and Childers 80%’s?
View Quote

Maybe its that big rivet head on that center support, left side? This Ohio Ordnance rec. I have wont fit. Rivet head on the left side sticks out too far. I got it stuck trying to make it go in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Added some more pics above.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Do tell.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Do tell.

View Quote

Seems its cheaper to buy a $400 parts kit than to buy a bolt and carrier and front trunnion.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KoolOperator] [#29]
I built an AMD Krink on NDS kp receiver. Used the AMD for barrel, bolt, rear right, dust cover, etc. Bulgarian triangle folder and trunion. Actual Russian AKSU FSB from a guy on the other forum who had cracked and bent it trying to demil. Probably used a romy gas tube that I chopped and swaged in the press to fit the FSB.

I left the barrel stand proud of the FSB and threaded it 1/2*28 and put a vortex flash hider on it. Was really cool. In a hurry I forgot to bore out the voretx to 30 cal and blew the prongs off after the second shot. Fun times.

I miss building but scavenging for parts was annoying. Buying from kvar more annoying.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By KoolOperator:
I built an AMD Krink on NDS kp receiver. Used the AMD for barrel, bolt, rear right, dust cover, etc. Bulgarian triangle folder and trunion. Actual Russian AKSU FSB from a guy on the other forum who had cracked and bent it trying to demil. Probably used a romy gas tube that I chopped and swaged in the press to fit the FSB.

I left the barrel stand proud of the FSB and threaded it 1/2*28 and put a vortex flash hider on it. Was really cool. In a hurry I forgot to bore out the voretx to 30 cal and blew the prongs off after the second shot. Fun times.

I miss building but scavenging for parts was annoying. Buying from kvar more annoying.
View Quote

Ha, I’ve almost made the mistake of not checking the bore of my muzzle devices a couple times.

I’m always on the lookout for AK parts at gunshows, pawn shops or gun shops. Always very scarce. I’m the only person I know in my part of this state who builds. It’s AR country up here.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top