Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/5/2024 12:58:25 PM EDT
I own a WBP Jack rifle in 5.56 and while it is a great rifle and shooter, the rifle is pretty over gassed throwing brass 30 + feet. I was considering an adjustable gas piston for it to dampen it beating itself to death but at $160 it's a bit expensive. I found an ALG enhanced recoil spring with great reviews for $12 and gave it a try and it made quite a difference in the rifles recoil and greatly slowed down the rifle self destructing itself. After install I tried it with several different types of ammo and the rifle seems to operate very good. Even lower power PMC 223 functioned and shot just fine in the rifle, now it throws the brass 12 - 15 feet, still a lot but way better than before. I may still buy and install an adjustable piston in the future, but for now this ALG spring has made a big difference in this rifles performance. Anyone else try one of these with success?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Not ALG, but yes, have used custom springs for years now, get mine from a guy on another forum who works for a spring shop and makes AK and PSL springs in his spare time.

Probably a similar spring, ASTM silicon music wire, super high quality stuff, he makes them in +5%, +10%, and +plus 15% power over stock, I run the plus 5%'ers in all my AK's now, they perform wonderfully, softer shooting and stop the carrier from bashing.

This is always my first suggestion to people instead of going to the expense and trouble of an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing the ALG springs are +10 % stronger than stock, you can definitely feel the difference when charging the rifle. Nice simple inexpensive upgrade and I bought 3 of them as I want to try them in a few different rifles.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Have one but it's in the parts box still. I figured if I ever needed it I'll use it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
They are tried and true, I feel they are too strong for most in spec AKs but they work fine. I like the +5% springs too as already mentioned above.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several 556 WBPs.  They all get a Wolff or ALG recoil spring.  Only KNS piston I have is in a Galil.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mad_mardigan:
They are tried and true, I feel they are too strong for most in spec AKs but they work fine.
View Quote
I've always wondered what the OEM spring in the 308 Saiga is. Maybe a really stiff one like the ALG would be good for it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m trying out MCARBO’s spring in my WBP 5.56, haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet though
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Not ALG, but yes, have used custom springs for years now, get mine from a guy on another forum who works for a spring shop and makes AK and PSL springs in his spare time.

Probably a similar spring, ASTM silicon music wire, super high quality stuff, he makes them in +5%, +10%, and +plus 15% power over stock, I run the plus 5%'ers in all my AK's now, they perform wonderfully, softer shooting and stop the carrier from bashing.

This is always my first suggestion to people instead of going to the expense and trouble of an adjustable gas block.
View Quote

Is this the files? I’d be interested in a 5%
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MustyWaffles:

Is this the files? I’d be interested in a 5%
View Quote

Yep. Don't know if he's still around,  but his handle was "thisbugger".
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top