Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2022 8:15:22 AM EDT
I'm thinking about building an M76.

What 8mm surplus ammo is good to go for it?

8mm ammunition
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Cheapest ammo I would trust to be surefire on the current ammoseek page is the Romanian from SG.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You could do an M76 in 30-06. Much better ammo availability. I just finished this one

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:22:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmad2001] [#3]
M75 (if you can find it) Best.

NO Turk (bolt gun only)

1950s Yugo not reccomended (hard primers - bolt gun)

Rommy 150gr shot pretty wide groups in mine but safe.

Curious how that Greek surp might run.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:35:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usar_ds] [#4]
For that rifle i would just go commercial ppu 8mm fmj. Or hornady.

Skip the surplus.

Romanian surplus is absolute junk. I have a few cases. Minute of barn literally. Skip it.

Yugo surplus is ok but corrosive. But it shoots well for me.

Turkish is hot as hell. Not safe for autoloaders.

No idea on greek. But it seems to get good reviews.

Also Cool build op

Edit: i would also get some dies and reload for it. 8mm js is a great caliber with the right loads.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The PRVI/PPU 8mm 198 grain is the modern equivalent to the Yugo sniper grade ammo. Its relatively inexpensive and lets you use the cases to reload with.  

If you are going to use other 8mm you'll want to pick up a set of dies even if you dont reload. Those Yugo mags are awfully tight and some 8mm wont fit. You sometimes need to seat the bullet slightly deeper.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
M75 was never made for the M76! Info sheets on the cases does not mention this application, its for the M48's.

Average at best. The Hornady 8mm match is superb, a close second to the Igman Match, WWII 8mm German and the Romanian 8mm is also pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Romanian case split all the way down the side and half the case head in my FN49 8mm.
Guess I would try Czech if you could find it.

I have stashed Czech, Romanian, yugo and some other one I can't remember.
About out of Turk.

My FN49 is a Century parts rifle however.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 12:46:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sajer] [#8]
The Portuguese 8mm was really nice in my opinion and will pop up now and then. Paying premium for it tho.

The 70's Yugo was better than the 50's.

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top